PDA

View Full Version : Mike Williams gets no snaps in practice

swiper
10-16-2014, 04:25 AM
Report: Williams didn’t get any snaps on offense Wednesday

Posted by Mike Wilkening on October 16, 2014, 12:24 AM EDT
http://nbcprofootballtalk.files.wordpress.com/2014/10/cd0ymzcznguwzdbhnduynddiytjhm2yyzthlmtjjotqwyyznpwuymgviztgyzgjlmmzmnjbimzm2mdrhntm2mwvjmtq3-e1413433433294.jpeg?w=212
Getty Images
After the Bills made backup wide receiver Mike Williams inactive on Sunday vs. New England, head coach Doug Marrone indicated it was “a tough call.”

Marrone also said the fifth-year receiver had dealt with the decision well (http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/10/13/doug-marrone-sitting-mike-williams-was-really-a-tough-call/).

“We talked to him and he handled it like a pro and he’ll be ready to go next week,” Marrone said at the time, according to the club.

Whether the Bills are ready to play him Sunday vs. Minnesota remains to be seen.

Per Mike Rodak of ESPN.com, Williams “did not take a rep (http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/11707723/mike-williams-buffalo-bills-happy-buffalo-wants-play) with the offense” in Wednesday’s practice.

On Wednesday, Marrone declined to say whether Williams would be active against the Vikings, preferring to take a wait-and-see approach.

“For the decisions of inactives and stuff, we’ll see how the week goes,” Marrone said, according to a transcript of his remarks from the team. “I don’t want to get myself in a bind.”

Since being made a healthy scratch on Sunday, news emerged that Williams’ agent, Hadley Engelhard, wished to explore a trade (http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/10/13/doug-whaley-mike-williams-has-requested-a-trade/). Williams, for his part, said he wants to stay (http://wp.me/p14QSB-9BlH) in Buffalo. And on Wednesday, Marrone allowed that he was miffed about the agent’s role in potentially seeking a deal, according to the transcript of the head coach’s remarks. However, Marrone did say he believed Williams was happy in Buffalo for the time being.

As long as Williams is a backup who doesn’t have a role on special teams, his spot could be tenuous each week. That was driven home on Sunday. It comes down to this: if the Bills believe he can help the offense, he’ll likely be active. There isn’t exactly a surplus of offensive production in Buffalo. The Bills are 25th in yards and 26th in points entering Week Seven.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/10/16/report-mike-williams-didnt-get-any-practice-snaps-wednesday/

YardRat
10-16-2014, 05:00 AM
Allegedly he requested to practice with the scout team, so he could earn his spot on the gameday roster back.

Yasgur's Farm
10-16-2014, 05:26 AM
“I won scout team player (two weeks ago), I would’ve won it if we won this past week. I’ll try to win it this week. I was on scout team again (Wednesday). I didn’t change my routine. I got on the scout team because I wanted to be on scout team. I wanted to do it. They didn’t put me on scout team. I just wanted to be on all the scout team if I’m not going to be getting that many reps (on offense).”

streetkings01
10-16-2014, 05:46 AM
Why did we trade for him again? Seems as if he's another weapon Hackett has no idea how to use!

feldspar
10-16-2014, 06:07 AM
Makes absolutely zero sense to me.

DraftBoy
10-16-2014, 06:14 AM
There is something here that isn't getting reported. I wonder if some of the history here is bubbling back up?

Fletch
10-16-2014, 06:27 AM
This is funny, I recall taking heat for suggesting that he wouldn't make much of an impact and have may 7 or 800 yards. At this point that would be a bonanza for him.

Why does everyone put it on the coaches?

Manuel didn't know what WR was and only had passes to 3 WRs in any given game. Orton's doing better but even he clearly favors Chandler and Jackson much like Manuel did. Anyone ever think that maybe our WRs aren't getting open like they're supposed to? Watkins obviously needs to catch the ball with no one around ("in space") or apparently he's useless.

In Orton's two games:

Jackson: 11 catches for 75 yards
Chandler: 10 for 126
Woods: 10 for 115
Watkins: 9 for 114
Hogan: 7 for 99
Spiller: 3 for 25
Goodwin: 1 for 42
Williams: 1 for 8
Gragg: 1 for 2
Summers: 1 for 1

More passes go to our RB and TE than to our two starting WRs. How many other teams have that? It was worse under Manuel.

I just don't think that our WRs are as good as everyone insisted and continue to insist that they are.

Ingtar33
10-16-2014, 06:34 AM
as 3rd WR in SF stevie johnson has put up better numbers then every WR in buffalo not named watkins (and basically the same numbers as watkins)

The better question is why we traded stevie johnson for a bag of beans. I seem to recall revis couldn't cover stevie johnson at all. We knew revis was coming back into the division, and yet we got rid of the only player in the division revis couldn't cover. It's planning like that which keeps us out of the playoffs.

Fletch
10-16-2014, 06:42 AM
as 3rd WR in SF stevie johnson has put up better numbers then every WR in buffalo not named watkins (and basically the same numbers as watkins)

The better question is why we traded stevie johnson for a bag of beans. I seem to recall revis couldn't cover stevie johnson at all. We knew revis was coming back into the division, and yet we got rid of the only player in the division revis couldn't cover. It's planning like that which keeps us out of the playoffs.

Thank you!!

:bf1:

Fletch
10-16-2014, 06:43 AM
I think we know the answer to that however.

Whaley

I can't come close to imagining a loss to the Vikes on Sunday, but if in the 1 in whatever chance that it happens, I'd fire Whaley at the end of the game. He can't go soon enough.

feldspar
10-16-2014, 06:56 AM
This is funny, I recall taking heat for suggesting that he wouldn't make much of an impact and have may 7 or 800 yards. At this point that would be a bonanza for him.

Why does everyone put it on the coaches?

Manuel didn't know what WR was and only had passes to 3 WRs in any given game. Orton's doing better but even he clearly favors Chandler and Jackson much like Manuel did. Anyone ever think that maybe our WRs aren't getting open like they're supposed to? Watkins obviously needs to catch the ball with no one around ("in space") or apparently he's useless.

In Orton's two games:

Jackson: 11 catches for 75 yards
Chandler: 10 for 126
Woods: 10 for 115
Watkins: 9 for 114
Hogan: 7 for 99
Spiller: 3 for 25
Goodwin: 1 for 42
Williams: 1 for 8
Gragg: 1 for 2
Summers: 1 for 1

More passes go to our RB and TE than to our two starting WRs. How many other teams have that? It was worse under Manuel.

I just don't think that our WRs are as good as everyone insisted and continue to insist that they are.

If you want to talk numbers, Mike Williams probably has AT LEAST three times the production of all the other wide receivers on our roster COMBINED under his belt in his career...at least. I haven't done the math, but I'm pretty sure that's accurate. We're not talking about an old man here, either. Williams is only 27.

Wide receivers still account for the most yards gained under Orton so far, as opposed to other positions.

Just don't understand why they would hold Williams out for a consecutive week...if they do that, which remains to be seen.

But if the Bills are smart, they'll run the ball a lot and also throw to the backs a lot this week. That should be effective against the Vikes, and also open up the intermediate-to-long passing game.

Also, Goodwin has one catch for the entire year. Granted, it was a big catch, but why is that OK? I agree with DraftBoy in that there is something they are not telling us, especially if Mike Williams is a healthy scratch again this week.

Fletch
10-16-2014, 07:18 AM
I have no idea. But I'll insist that Williams is still a so-so receiver, somewhere between being a solid starter and simply a third, but not slot, option.

He was brought on specifically to be a red zone target if you'll recall due to his size. 6'2"/204, which really isn't that big and not much bigger than Watkins, who by the hype should be the same red zone target.

Would have made much more sense to draft Evans (6'5"/230) or Benjamin (6'5"/240), whichever would have been there at 9th, and both of whom have RZ skills, keep our 1st and 4th from next season, and have kept Stevie.

I think we'd have been much further along right now with Benjamin, Stevie, Woods, Hogan, and Williams. That would have been two WRs that have played together significantly in Stevie and Woods, rather than just one coming into the season. I will also continue to stand by my prediction that Watkins won't even be the best WR in this draft class. Benjamin is easily looking that role now, Evans is on par with Watkins, or close enough right now. Hurns has played well on a far worse team just as Evans has.

As to this:

If you want to talk numbers, Mike Williams probably has AT LEAST three times the production of all the other wide receivers on our roster COMBINED under his belt in his career...at least. I haven't done the math, but I'm pretty sure that's accurate.

That's correct, but only by default. I've pointed that out numerous times prior to the season. Watkins is a rookie, Woods and Goodwin are 2nd year guys. So while true, it's useless info in that regard. Where it's not useless is in dispelling the notion that we have some of the best WRs in the game. Experience, or lack thereof, as you imply in that statement, prohibits any such team with such a cadre of WRs from being that good.

kingJofNYC
10-16-2014, 09:03 AM

Doug Moron didn't like him, plain and simple.

Hated that trade.

IlluminatusUIUC
10-16-2014, 09:13 AM
Doug Moron didn't like him, plain and simple.

Hated that trade.

It seems he doesn't like Williams either. They have a history, obviously. If Schiano and Morris can get production from Williams and Marrone can't figure out how to use him, then I know where I lay the fault.

yordad
10-16-2014, 09:16 AM
I really don't think there is anything more to it. Hogan plays special teams. Williams doesn't. They activated the extra tight end because the line suxs. THis is a non story, it isn't like Williams has been a superstar and it isn't like Hogan didnt have a good game. Hell, his last game was better than any from Williams this year anyways.

justasportsfan
10-16-2014, 09:28 AM

the problem IMO is that Manuel was the anointed qb and Stevie would just confuse him even more with the way he ran his routes. Stevie wasn't that productive with Manuel at qb. With any other qb , Stevie would've been fine.

bdutton
10-16-2014, 09:37 AM
the problem IMO is that Manuel was the anointed qb and Stevie would just confuse him even more with the way he ran his routes. Stevie wasn't that productive with Manuel at qb. With any other qb , Stevie would've been fine.

The problem with Stevie wasn't that he ran good routes or not, it was he was an idiot that got the team in trouble with his antics. I also don't think he would have been happy here as a number 2 or slot receiver after picking Watkins as a legit number 1 receiver.

swiper
10-16-2014, 06:06 PM
It seems he doesn't like Williams either. They have a history, obviously. If Schiano and Morris can get production from Williams and Marrone can't figure out how to use him, then I know where I lay the fault.

He doesn't like Urbik or Robert Woods either.

Goobylal
10-16-2014, 06:12 PM
Marrone needs to go. He can take Hackett with him.

sudzy
10-16-2014, 06:22 PM
He doesn't like Urbik or Robert Woods either.

He doesn't care for Corey Graham either. But, he seems to be a huge fan of Erik Pears.

BillsImpossible
10-16-2014, 06:35 PM
I really don't think there is anything more to it. Hogan plays special teams. Williams doesn't. They activated the extra tight end because the line suxs. THis is a non story, it isn't like Williams has been a superstar and it isn't like Hogan didnt have a good game. Hell, his last game was better than any from Williams this year anyways.

Great points, yordad. Hogan has been the more productive player compared to Williams (lack) of production.

Chris Hogan has been the better player. Simple as that.

better days
10-16-2014, 06:40 PM
And Marrone blew off the new owner when he went to introduce himself to Marrone.

Marrone told Terry he had a meeting he had to get to.

What a douche move to blow off the new boss like that.

I am so ready for Pegula to clean house.

Fletch
10-16-2014, 06:42 PM

Weren't you among those backing Whaley and Marrone not long ago?

Fletch
10-16-2014, 06:47 PM
Marrone needs to go. He can take Hackett with him.

Or Hackett needs to go and he can take Marrone with him.

Unfortunately none of what happens hinges on what we think, it hinges on how Pegula sees things and does business. I'm not optimistic however. The more that the hype of him buying the team settles the more I think we're in for another era of more of the same. I desperately hope I'm wrong, but he seems so "Buffalo oriented" that he won't want to rock the boat in the way that's necessary.

better days
10-16-2014, 06:50 PM
Weren't you among those backing Whaley and Marrone not long ago?

Not really. I said I would be fine if both were let go when this question was brought up before.

At this point, I am sick of all the BS coming from Marrone & I don't think his OC knows what the hell he is doing. Unless the Bills make the playoffs, I will be on board with getting rid of Marrone & Hackett.

BertSquirtgum
10-16-2014, 06:51 PM
Marrone must like losing and doesn't want to be an NFL head coach next year.

Fletch
10-16-2014, 06:52 PM
Marrone just doesn't have the experience to coach at this level. His prior experience is a mystery and he really wasn't very good at SU despite everyone trying to embellish his mediocre accomplishments there. It really is that simple.

For once this team needs a good GM and a good head coach.

better days
10-16-2014, 06:58 PM
Marrone must like losing and doesn't want to be an NFL head coach next year.

Marrone will probably get the remainder of the money he has coming if the Bills fire him.

In preseason, Marrone told Brandon, "go ahead fire me".

Then he told Pegula "This may get me fired, but I have a meeting to get to."

Marrone sure looks like a guy that wants to get fired so he can collect his money without putting in the work.

BillsImpossible
10-16-2014, 07:08 PM
And Marrone blew off the new owner when he went to introduce himself to Marrone.

Marrone told Terry he had a meeting he had to get to.

What a douche move to blow off the new boss like that.

So because Doug Marrone didn't bow down and kiss Terry's shoes and whisper sweet tender sayings in his ears for hours he should be fired?

Personally, I think Terry liked Marrone's approach. He has a job to do, and time is limited.

better days
10-16-2014, 07:13 PM
So because Doug Marrone didn't bow down and kiss Terry's shoes and whisper sweet tender sayings in his ears for hours he should be fired?

Personally, I think Terry liked Marrone's approach. He has a job to do, and time is limited.

This post is similar to the BS Marrone has been spouting.

A meeting could not wait 15-30 Minutes so the HC can meet with the new Owner?

I say that is PURE BS.

BertSquirtgum
10-16-2014, 07:13 PM
Doug Marrone is garbage. Can't wait until he is fired. He is more stubborn and more arrogant than Chan Gailey. To me, Chan was likable though. I never liked the Marrone hire from day one and I'm hating it more and more as this year goes on. My father and I never understood NFL teams' fascination with his coaching skills. He wasn't anything special at Syracuse.

better days
10-16-2014, 07:18 PM
Doug Marrone is garbage. Can't wait until he is fired. He is more stubborn and more arrogant than Chan Gailey. To me, Chan was likable though. I never liked the Marrone hire from day one and I'm hating it more and more as this year goes on. My father and I never understood NFL teams' fascination with his coaching skills. He wasn't anything special at Syracuse.

I did not like the hire of Marrone, but I said I would give him a chance to prove himself.

Well, he won me over for a while, but he has lost me now.

The Bills will have to make the playoffs for me to even think about jumping back on that band wagon.

BillsImpossible
10-16-2014, 07:26 PM
This post is similar to the BS Marrone has been spouting.

A meeting could not wait 15-30 Minutes so the HC can meet with the new Owner?

I say that is PURE BS.

I don't think any of us understand how structured and coordinated the NFL is.

Every minute of every day is planned.

Doug Marrone did not blow off Terry Pegula. He shook his hand, said hello, made small talk and went back to work.

That's the kind of coach I want, not somebody that's going to kiss my ass all day long and blow smoke when he should be doing his job.

Fletch
10-16-2014, 07:29 PM
My father and I never understood NFL teams' fascination with his coaching skills. He wasn't anything special at Syracuse.

You can say that repeatedly.

I have absolutely no idea what anyone saw in that guy, most of all Whaley. No doubt it was the same stuff that Whaley saw in Manuel and even in Watkins to trade those picks to get him.

Fletch
10-16-2014, 07:31 PM
That's the kind of coach I want, not somebody that's going to kiss my ass all day long and blow smoke when he should be doing his job.

Let's just hope that our new owner isn't like that, simply kissing everyone's ass that has ties to Buffalo or the region just so that he can be Mr. Buffalo. I'm concerned.

BertSquirtgum
10-16-2014, 08:01 PM
You can say that repeatedly.

I have absolutely no idea what anyone saw in that guy, most of all Whaley. No doubt it was the same stuff that Whaley saw in Manuel and even in Watkins to trade those picks to get him.

Whaley didn't hire him. Buddy Nix and Russ Brandon did.

better days
10-16-2014, 08:15 PM
I don't think any of us understand how structured and coordinated the NFL is.

Every minute of every day is planned.

Doug Marrone did not blow off Terry Pegula. He shook his hand, said hello, made small talk and went back to work.

Structured & coordinated every minute of every day? give me a fricken break.

HELLO, the NEW OWNER & your NEW BOSS wants to meet with you.

You don't say something STUPID like "This may get me fired, but I have a meeting to get to."

NO meeting is more important than a meeting with the new boss.

Marrone's underlings could have cooled their heels until the meeting with Pegula ended.

Fletch
10-16-2014, 08:16 PM
Whaley didn't hire him. Buddy Nix and Russ Brandon did.

Maybe, Whaley was in charge that offseason, as Asst. GM it'd be tough to say that Whaley had no input.

But let's be real, the team knew that Nix had one foot out the door, he served as a figurehead that offseason, only a fool would know that they're getting rid of a GM yet let him make all kinds of important decisions.

Manuel was 100% Whaley though. Don't believe me, watch the video below and see the comments.

BertSquirtgum
10-16-2014, 08:27 PM
Maybe, Whaley was in charge that offseason, as Asst. GM it'd be tough to say that Whaley had no input.

But let's be real, the team knew that Nix had one foot out the door, he served as a figurehead that offseason, only a fool would know that they're getting rid of a GM yet let him make all kinds of important decisions.

Manuel was 100% Whaley though. Don't believe me, watch the video below and see the comments.

Hiring Marrone was 100% Russ Brandon's choice and his alone, imo.

lavuuk153
10-16-2014, 09:02 PM
Structured & coordinated every minute of every day? give me a fricken break.

HELLO, the NEW OWNER & your NEW BOSS wants to meet with you.

You don't say something STUPID like "This may get me fired, but I have a meeting to get to."

NO meeting is more important than a meeting with the new boss.

Marrone's underlings could have cooled their heels until the meeting with Pegula ended.

If there is one thing I've learned, it's that thing's in print look much worse than how something is said. Imagine the scenario where it's clearly said as joke to break the ice and it seems like a reasonable scenario.

better days
10-17-2014, 06:38 AM
If there is one thing I've learned, it's that thing's in print look much worse than how something is said. Imagine the scenario where it's clearly said as joke to break the ice and it seems like a reasonable scenario.

Marrone may have said it as a joke, but to not take a little time to meet with the new owner is clearly a lack of respect.

And it was also a lack of respect when Marrone told Brandon to fire him in the preseason. And he was not joking then.

IMO, Marrone is a man that WANTS to be fired.