X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • JohnnyGold
    • Dec 2008

Ralph held this team back WAY more than you can imagine

Feel free to disregard this... I know stories on the internet that originate from "a friend of a friend" aren't necessarily viewed in the best of light. Some of you may regard this as more gossip than insight, but I thought I would share it with you.

A friend of mine is friends with a guy who coached in Oakland under Tom Cable. He was a positional coach out there, and got to see first hand the inner workings of an NFL club.

For starters: Al Davis was certifiably crazy in his final years. Medically, we would say he had "dementia", but to a man, you would say he was off his *****ing rocker and in no condition to be running a football team. I'll leave the anecdotes about Davis's personal eccentricities out of this (let's just say there were many, and they were all weird), but when it came to football he would:

*watch tapes from the 60s, confuse them with tapes from his current Raiders teams, and demand that personnel decisions be made to accomodate his "vision" of what the franchise was. Releasing players that he had "seen on tape" make mistakes, when in reality he was watching receivers from 40 years ago.

*if coaches disagreed with him, his temper was short, and he would want them out of town asap

*no one in the organization was safe, except for a select group of "yes-men" at the top who fed into these "fantasies" (alternate realities) to protect their job and their salaries.

*maybe the most interesting piece--NFL coaches are like a fraternity, and they all talk. Before and after games, of course, but during the week, all offseason, etc. Oakland was (is?) KNOWN as a place that you absolutely, 100%, do/did not want to go coach for, under any capacity. It was known that it was a place for either unproven coaches, or guys so desperate for work in the league that they would take the job, no questions asked.

"Sounds like Buffalo," is a line that was said to this gentleman, to which he replied "very similar situation there."

That's it. That's all the information I have as it pertains to the Bills, so you're going to have to read into that as much (or as little) as you please.

For what it's worth, though, knowing this guy, I now 100% believe that our 14 years of failures has nothing to do with the players we have put on the field. I believe (not that this is some sort of revelation), that our front office is absolutely, 100% *****ed.

And the most important part, to me: it's not like a consultant will come in and NOT see this. I'm sure any person coming in here knows this already, just from being around the league.

I am willing to predict that after this season:
    a) Marrone is fired
    b) Whaley is fired, unless he manages to 100% distance himself from this front office
    c) there will be a mass firing of top level guys (Brandon) that won't make the news, but will change the "culture" of the Bills forever

Making the playoffs is not rocket science. Teams usually do at least once every few years. The only way you DONT make the playoffs for 14 years is by being a completely rotten organization--which we most certainly are. The only way to fix that is to slash and burn. It WILL be recommended by a consultant, and it WILL happen.
  • OpIv37
    Acid Douching Asswipe
    • Sep 2002

Re: Ralph held this team back WAY more than you can imagine

Regardless of the validity of this story, a house-cleaning is needed. I would hope Pegula is smart enough to see that without needing a consultant.
    MiKiDo Facebook
    MiKiDo Website

Comment

• Bill Cody
      • Sep 2004

lol yeah let's hire a consultant

Comment

• Pinkerton Security
        Pinkerton's son
        • Feb 2006

Lets also be clear - we haven't had the talent to win over the last 14 years, (with the exception of a few years here or there), especially at the QB position. Between the ownership, FO, and lack of talent, there's no wonder we have the longest playoff drought right now.

Comment

• JohnnyGold
          • Dec 2008

Originally posted by NaturalBornSpiller View Post
          Lets also be clear - we haven't had the talent to win over the last 14 years, (with the exception of a few years here or there), especially at the QB position. Between the ownership, FO, and lack of talent, there's no wonder we have the longest playoff drought right now.
          I do agree with that to some extent, but in general, my "working theory" would be that EVERYONE in this organization has had their hands tied, unless they were someone who Ralph "selected" to be in his inner circle. And their motivation to stay in that "inner circle" was to maintain their job security, which did not necessarily go hand-in-hand with winning a super bowl.

This may have been spiraling out of control for years... there is a reason that our last 2 head coaches, over half a decade of football, have been such lackluster, uninspired hirings.

I want to believe THIS team, as it is currently constructed, can get a wild card, or maybe even win the division. But I also now think, that regardless of outcome, there is going to be a MASSIVE house cleaning.

Comment

• JohnnyGold
            • Dec 2008

I also want to be clear with what, exactly, it is that I'm saying.

This is not an earth shattering thread with some huge revelation that none of us knew. In fact, I would venture a guess that 90% of the members on this board know this to be true without ever having to hear it from an "official source".

Simply put--(rumor has it) that Buffalo has a similar reputation in the league as Oakland: a franchise that (was) run by an overcontroling, unfit owner, that no *credible* football man would want to go work for, which has resulted in a carusol of coaches for the last 15 years. The people that "make" those football decisions with Ralph are all still in place, and ANY outside "consultant" will see that almost immediately. A massive house cleaning is sure to follow.

Comment

• trapezeus
              Legendary Zoner
              • Oct 2004

i think a consultant would be a guy who is out of the league but had success and doesn't want a killer hands on day to day gig. They have their preferred people, they know the process of how decisions typically get made at winning institutions and can give guidance on how a GM and coach can co-exist. Also how to have a scouting department know when to go with the obvious concensus choice and when to really make an odd choice in later rounds that helps the team.

i don't think consultant means some random E&Y consultant.

the team needs a top down scrubbing. too many players, coaches, front office people know how to survive, but not excel. you need a leadership group that demands that people excel and put them in positions to do so.

I don't even care if Terry can do it...i just want someone who will TRY to do it. Failing and knowing you will do so like the last 14 years of bills teams sucks. having someone try to put out a winner and possibly fail is much more palatable.

Comment

• IlluminatusUIUC
                • Sep 2012

Originally posted by NaturalBornSpiller View Post
                That may also be related to dysfunction in the front office as they select the players and then the coaches to develop those players. For example, instead of looking at our roster and saying "What coach could maximize the talents of those group of men?" they get whatever coach will come, and then there is a talent bloodletting to get guys who "fit the system"

Billszone 2013 Prediction Contest winner!

Comment

• Typ0
                  honey pie
                  • Jul 2002

RW was a lot smarter than Al Davis. He learned to allow others to run the organization. My belief is his directive was to keep the finances lean and mean to prepare for the sale of the club. This did not mean spending nothing on players as there is revenue sharing. It did mean spending less on the coaching staff though.

While, of course, the mantra was always about winning being the priority the constraints were never articulated. Wilson hired Donahoe thinking he was the guy to keep it moving forward but then got burned and gunshy on who to bring in. Wilson was aging and had an heir of senility to him but it really was just a waiting game at OBD for the last ten years which is where we have been stuck.

Comment

• Mr. Pink
                    Peterman Sucks!
                    • Mar 2006

Originally posted by JohnnyGold View Post
                    I also want to be clear with what, exactly, it is that I'm saying.

This is not an earth shattering thread with some huge revelation that none of us knew. In fact, I would venture a guess that 90% of the members on this board know this to be true without ever having to hear it from an "official source".

Simply put--(rumor has it) that Buffalo has a similar reputation in the league as Oakland: a franchise that (was) run by an overcontroling, unfit owner, that no *credible* football man would want to go work for, which has resulted in a carusol of coaches for the last 15 years. The people that "make" those football decisions with Ralph are all still in place, and ANY outside "consultant" will see that almost immediately. A massive house cleaning is sure to follow.
                    I think people started to figure this out when Mularkey quit.

Comment

• imbondz
                      Democrats are people too
                      • Jan 2003

Originally posted by JohnnyGold View Post
                      when it came to football he would:

*watch tapes from the 60s, confuse them with tapes from his current Raiders teams, and demand that personnel decisions be made to accomodate his "vision" of what the franchise was. Releasing players that he had "seen on tape" make mistakes, when in reality he was watching receivers from 40 years ago.
                      LOL. I hope that's true cuz that is freakin funny
                      My faith doesn’t make me perfect, it makes me forgiven.

Comment

• JohnnyGold
                        • Dec 2008

Originally posted by Mr. Pink View Post
                        I think people started to figure this out when Mularkey quit.
                        100% agree. Nothing I'm saying is news, or out of left field.

But to actually HEAR from someone who has (admittedly) a borderline negligible role in the NFL that, yes, the Bills are dysfunctional, and yes, high profile "football men" avoid the organization like the plague... it only serves to confirm what many of us "knew" and most of us suspected.

And to the poster above who said that hiring of bad coaches leads to a blood letting of players, i could not agree more. Just because Ralph (or Ralph's men) wants/wanted/was willing to pay Stevie, Lynch, or any other player I'm not going to take the time to list off, doesn't mean that the second rate coach we had running the operation at the time thought that player could "fit" his system. We thought we had the best running backs in the league, and then you have Lynch in Seattle winning a Super Bowl. Was that really a player we could afford to lose.

Gailey thought so.

Results? Gailey: out of the league. Lynch: super bowl champion.

Comment

• Lucidvizion
                          Surfing on the Edge of Infinity
                          • Feb 2005

Buffalo Courier Express article from 1977. I know it sounds bad to say, but a new owner is the best thing to happen to this team since its inception.

Comment

• Lucidvizion
                            Surfing on the Edge of Infinity
                            • Feb 2005

Here are the rest of the scans if anyone is interested:

I actually found a physical copy of this paper a few years ago and had to share.

Comment

• Bellowing4DaBills
                              • Dec 2008

At least Al Davis' Raiders won 3 super bowls before he went nuts and consistent winners for about 40 years.
                              The Bills Make Me Wanna Below

Comment

Working...
                              X