PDA

View Full Version : Hackett wants to simplify running game

YardRat
10-18-2014, 02:38 PM
http://www.syracuse.com/buffalo-bills/index.ssf/2014/10/nathaniel_hackett_cj_spiller_offensive_coordinator_running_game.html

The running game has been a particular focus this week after two straight rough performances.

"We want to try to simplify it down some and get back to some of the stuff that we did little bit more last year and try to take advantage of some things that our guys do well and keep on attacking those specific things, not getting bored with success, call the same thing a couple times in a row, stuff like that to get those guys a feel," Hackett said. "That's a little bit of what we did last year, so the guys got to get a feel for it. So I just have to do a better job of sticking with that kind of stuff."

Part of the problem is schematic. Hackett and coach Doug Marrone have both admitted that. But some of it falls on the players, too.

- - - Updated - - -

Apparently the offense is too complicated for EJ...errr...CJ.

swiper
10-18-2014, 02:39 PM
Running up the middle is overly difficult?

YardRat
10-18-2014, 02:40 PM
As far as Watkins goes, Hackett believes fans are <nobr>close (http://www.syracuse.com/buffalo-bills/index.ssf/2014/10/nathaniel_hackett_cj_spiller_offensive_coordinator_running_game.html#)</nobr> to seeing the full complement of what he can do on offense. The Bills have been letting him get completely comfortable after his early season injury and a few touch matchups in recent weeks, but Hackett thinks the breakout is coming.

"He's <nobr>starting (http://www.syracuse.com/buffalo-bills/index.ssf/2014/10/nathaniel_hackett_cj_spiller_offensive_coordinator_running_game.html#)</nobr> to look like that guy we had from the very beginning, and I think he's starting to feel better and better and he's rolling," Hackett said.

SpikedLemonade
10-18-2014, 02:41 PM
Hackett has no clue what he is doing.

Once the season is over. Whaley needs to put a gun to Marrone's head to fire Hackett. If Marrone chooses to continue to be loyal, Marrone will be fired as well.

Jaybird
10-18-2014, 02:57 PM
simplify the run game? so just run straight up the middle into the a gap.. because we already don't do much else

sudzy
10-18-2014, 02:58 PM
Their gameplan is already on par with most high schools and he wants to simplify? What go from two running plays ran over and over again down to one?

THRILLHO
10-18-2014, 03:01 PM
Let's not give up on the run in the middle of the third quarter. That should be a good start.

DraftBoy
10-18-2014, 03:42 PM
The running game is more than just the direction the play goes.

swiper
10-18-2014, 04:09 PM
Thanks teach!

BertSquirtgum
10-18-2014, 04:32 PM
Dumb. Hackett. Dumb.

swiper
10-18-2014, 05:52 PM
Since Marrone has been on board, I have found myself longing for Dick Jauron (had better records) and Gailey (ran better offense). Puke. Puke. Puke.

Ed
10-18-2014, 06:16 PM
FJ and CJ are both more than capable of running the ball with success. How about the OL step up its game and open some holes. That would probably help the most.

YardRat
10-18-2014, 06:22 PM
FJ and CJ are both more than capable of running the ball with success. How about the OL step up its game and open some holes. That would probably help the most.

When do the cross hairs get leveled on Pat Morris?

better days
10-18-2014, 06:30 PM
Since Marrone has been on board, I have found myself longing for Dick Jauron (had better records) and Gailey (ran better offense). Puke. Puke. Puke.

Well, you can long for Jauron or Gailey.

I long for Wade Phillips myself...................the last GOOD HC the Bills have had.

black N yellow
10-18-2014, 07:06 PM
if this running game gets any simpler than it already is, I'll be expecting Kyle Orton to run more than any RB.

Mace
10-18-2014, 07:46 PM
When do the cross hairs get leveled on Pat Morris?

They sure should be, also. I don't know what Marrone is thinking on his o-line, having been a lineman.

I keep expecting Hackett to call his breakout game, but I keep seeing he's in over his head. Running is easier for new linemen to execute, or is said to be, and Orton should be better equipped for K-gun'ish as they said they meant to do last year, or at least a faster pace as was supposed to be their trademark. Instead they do neither and he never has a pattern or process to his playcalls.

I told a friend of mine last week to make book on it first offensive play would be a handoff to Spiller for 2 and was horrified it was a handoff to Spiller for -3. I was just being snarky, didn't really expect it. I'm thinking this week, first play is a handoff to Jackson.

Um um um um....(looks at the timer) "I don't know, I just don't know....handoff HANDoff HANDOFF !"

TakingItuptheChin
10-18-2014, 08:53 PM
So basically Hackett wants CJ to lose yards with less running?

BertSquirtgum
10-18-2014, 10:14 PM
I hope somebody locks Hackett in his basement tomorrow morning. Worst offensive coordinator ever, in the entire Bills' history. That's saying a lot. They've had some real ****ty coordinators.

Mr. Miyagi
10-19-2014, 04:28 AM
Obviously they can't say how they're going to change up the run gameplan, but all it tells me is that they're going to do something, hopefully design better plays for CJ to run outside. I wouldn't read any more into it than that.

swiper
10-19-2014, 04:44 AM
Well, you can long for Jauron or Gailey.

I long for Wade Phillips myself...................the last GOOD HC the Bills have had.

I was being sarcastic. That was obvious to everyone else. And Phillips may have been better than many of the cheap losers that Wilson hired after, but he was not good either. He was let go for a reason. Mainly letting the inmates run the asylum, which is always his downfall. He wasn't good either. Marv Levy was the last the good coach this team has had. Phillips rode his coattails, using his coaches and players to ride into the play-offs.

swiper
10-19-2014, 05:47 AM

YardRat
10-19-2014, 06:15 AM
1. Sit Spiller.
2. Activate Brown.
3. Give the ball to Freddie, and occasionally spell him with Boobie and Brown.

That's about as simple, and easy, as it gets.

YardRat
10-19-2014, 06:17 AM
Seriously, FWIW, I don't see the difficulty in incorporating a couple of quick-pitches to Spiller to get him outside. Give him the occasional, predictable dive play just to keep the defense honest.

DynaPaul
10-19-2014, 06:34 AM
Has Hackett ever heard of a sweep, pitch, or off tackle run? I'm thinking he hasn't.

RedEyE
10-19-2014, 06:58 AM
Simplify? Seriously, some of these "smart" coaches over think everything. The lack of production from the running game is a two part issue:

1) The line is porous and has digressed from last season
2) Spiller is not worthy splitting carries with Fred

Marrone needs to hold everyone accountable. Keep your ****ing OC in check, straighten up that interior line and get Spiller less carries. Keep CJ in on special teams, throw him in the slot once in a while or across the middle on a wheel route. Keep his touches limited to open spaces (screens, pitch outs etc.). The Clemson kid cannot handle the inside work load and his pass blocking skills are atrocious.

trapezeus
10-19-2014, 08:37 AM
The line doesn't pick up stunts at all. They let lb run wild once the dl and de stunt. To me, that's a coaching error. If it was a matter of getting bull rushed and losing battle, it'd be players fault

swiper
10-19-2014, 09:07 AM
Seriously, FWIW, I don't see the difficulty in incorporating a couple of quick-pitches to Spiller to get him outside. Give him the occasional, predictable dive play just to keep the defense honest.

Screens. Delayed hand-offs. Pitches. Sweeps. These are not new concepts. Gailey proved Spiller can do these things successfully. It's almost like Hackett refuses to do what Gailey was doing.

swiper
10-19-2014, 09:08 AM
The line doesn't pick up stunts at all. They let lb run wild once the dl and de stunt. To me, that's a coaching error. If it was a matter of getting bull rushed and losing battle, it'd be players fault

Good point.