justasportsfan
10-19-2014, 05:48 PM
Per Florio

Buffalogic
10-19-2014, 05:51 PM
And done as a bill.

DetDannyWilliams
10-19-2014, 05:52 PM
WGRZ...Spiller scheduled to have surgery tomorrow, FJackson to have MRI tomorrow

Mr. Pink
10-19-2014, 05:53 PM
Spiller might come back for another year. This injury coupled with a terrible season prior to it will hurt his FA value and he might be willing to take a one year deal for a few million to stay and prove himself worth a big payday.

Of course he might go to another team on the same type of contract.

The Jokeman
10-19-2014, 05:57 PM
Spiller might come back for another year. This injury coupled with a terrible season prior to it will hurt his FA value and he might be willing to take a one year deal for a few million to stay and prove himself worth a big payday.

Of course he might go to another team on the same type of contract.

It all depends what Freddie and/or Bryce Brown or Dixon do in CJ's absence. I think he's finished as a Bill, too bad too because that run he made today was one for the ages.

Forward_Lateral
10-19-2014, 06:00 PM
It did not look good for Fred, either. My guess is he's done for the year too, with a torn groin.

Don't Panic
10-19-2014, 06:03 PM
Excited to see what Brown and Dixon can do in a timeshare. Not ideal, but at least we have some quality in the 3rd and 4th string.

The Jokeman
10-19-2014, 06:18 PM
Excited to see what Brown and Dixon can do in a timeshare. Not ideal, but at least we have some quality in the 3rd and 4th string.

Ummm if Spiller's shelved for the year then Brown moves up to 1st/2nd string and we don't have anyone behind him. if he is IR's I wonder who we bring on to replace him? Ronnie Wingo who knows the system or go the vet route like Felix Jones.

imbondz
10-19-2014, 06:22 PM
everyone here should be psyched Spiller is done for the year

DraftBoy
10-19-2014, 06:25 PM

Yea I'm absolutely pumped that one of our players is hurt, and needs surgery. What is wrong with you?

John Doe
10-19-2014, 06:26 PM
Ummm if Spiller's shelved for the year then Brown moves up to 1st/2nd string and we don't have anyone behind him. if he is IR's I wonder who we bring on to replace him? Ronnie Wingo who knows the system or go the vet route like Felix Jones.

Or...raid some other team's practice squad.

Dixon actually had a decent game today: 13 carries for 51 yards and 3 receptions for 15. He is a one dimensional runner to be sure.

imbondz
10-19-2014, 06:32 PM
Yea I'm absolutely pumped that one of our players is hurt, and needs surgery. What is wrong with you?

cuz all anyone talks about here is how they want Spiller gone.

The Jokeman
10-19-2014, 06:38 PM
Or...raid some other team's practice squad.

Dixon actually had a decent game today: 13 carries for 51 yards and 3 receptions for 15. He is a one dimensional runner to be sure.

and he showed he couldn't carry the load himself. Yet yeah he has shown to be more than just a one or two carry guy like he was in San Fran. We could raid someone's practice squad too bad NFL rules state we can't raid the Jets since we play them in less than 10 days as Darryl Richardson be a nice addition but maybe we can raid the Chiefs squad and go after Charcandrick West.

YardRat
10-19-2014, 06:42 PM
Unfortunate, you never want to see a player hurt, but I'm looking forward to seeing if Brown can actually bring anything to the table.

Mace
10-19-2014, 06:45 PM
cuz all anyone talks about here is how they want Spiller gone.

I see your point.

Odd thing is I like Spiller, still hate that pick. I think he'll light it up on the right team, but also think he has no chance to be as good as he can be here.

If he goes, elsewhere, this injury may flip a switch in his career. I honestly hope he does go elsewhere, not because I don't like him as a player, but because I do. If he stays here for some reason and there is not a coaching overhaul, he's headed for more of the same feeble standard back use.

ParanoidAndroid
10-19-2014, 06:53 PM
I think it is clear that Dixon and Brown were brought in precisely because Spiller is done as a Bill after this year and Freddie is likely to show decline soon. I believe they want more of a workhorse back and will pick one early in this draft with Dixon and Brown providing insurance. I hope they can extend Freddie for another year. He's still the most reliable offensive player on this team. Let's also hope his injury is not severe, but groin injuries are killers for RB's... severely limits lateral movement. The chance he comes back to 100% this season is probably quite low.

TacklingDummy
10-19-2014, 06:54 PM
Goodbye CJ.
Your 1 yard gains up the middle won't be missed.
Your terrible pass blocking won't be missed.

justasportsfan
10-19-2014, 07:07 PM
Goodbye CJ.
Your 1 yard gains up the middle won't be missed.
Your terrible pass blocking won't be missed.

Watch him end up pulling a Lynch with another team.

The Jokeman
10-19-2014, 07:11 PM
I think it is clear that Dixon and Brown were brought in precisely because Spiller is done as a Bill after this year and Freddie is likely to show decline soon. I believe they want more of a workhorse back and will pick one early in this draft with Dixon and Brown providing insurance. I hope they can extend Freddie for another year. He's still the most reliable offensive player on this team. Let's also hope his injury is not severe, but groin injuries are killers for RB's... severely limits lateral movement. The chance he comes back to 100% this season is probably quite low.

We extended Freddie earlier this year, so he's with the Bill until 2016 http://espn.go.com/blog/buffalo-bills/post/_/id/11714/fred-jackson-contract-extension-details As a result our RB depth next year might be Fred/Brown and Dixon and a mid to late round rookie. I've been banging the drum for Keith Marshall but with him getting hurt this year he might not come out.

Yasgur's Farm
10-19-2014, 07:15 PM
Yup! I can't believe it took 19 posts.

Ed
10-19-2014, 07:21 PM
Marrone said that CJ will be out for an undetermined amount of time. It's still possible that CJ doesn't go on IR, so Florio is just speculating at this point. He's not out for the year until he's officially on IR. No reason to put him on IR until his surgery is over and they have time to re-evaluate him. CJ is in amazing shape and takes great care of himself, so it wouldn't be shocking if he's a quick healer.

The Jokeman
10-19-2014, 07:24 PM
Marrone said that CJ will be out for an undetermined amount of time. It's still possible that CJ doesn't go on IR, so Florio is just speculating at this point. He's not out for the year until he's officially on IR. No reason to put him on IR until his surgery is over and they have time to re-evaluate him. CJ is in amazing shape and takes great care of himself, so it wouldn't be shocking if he's a quick healer.

If Freddie is a question mark I can't see us wasting a roster spot for both him and Spiller unless we finally IR Alonso but think we've kept him on the PUP injury list so we can keep him an extra year because he'll be a RFA when is contract runs out.

Ed
10-19-2014, 07:28 PM
If Freddie is a question mark I can't see us wasting a roster spot for both him and Spiller unless we finally IR Alonso but think we've kept him on the PUP injury list so we can keep him an extra year because he'll be a RFA when is contract runs out.
Kiko Alonso is already on IR.

I don't expect CJ to play again this year, but until he's actually put on IR I don't think reporters should say he's done for the year.

elltrain22
10-19-2014, 07:36 PM
Really sucks, for a lot of reasons. I am biased, b/c I am a big CJ fan, but I truly believe this is probably it for him as a Bill. I hate it, I really do, b/c I think he's a very dynamic talent. He has never whined or cryed about his role with this team, and IMO, he had every right to. He was totally mismanaged and never utilized correctly by this staff. Under Gailey, he averaged 6 yards a carry for an entire season!! That doesn't just happen. That happens b/c you have dynamic ability, and your playing in a system that allows your talents to flourish. It is all on Marrone & Hackett for not ever developing CJ, and if he does go somewhere else, I wish him all the best. I also bet, if he goes somewhere else, he'll flourish like Marshawn Lynch has.

The Jokeman
10-19-2014, 07:39 PM
Kiko Alonso is already on IR.

I don't expect CJ to play again this year, but until he's actually put on IR I don't think reporters should say he's done for the year.

Alonso isn't on IR he's on Reserve/Non-Football Injury list which means we we could activate him over the next two weeks and he could start practicing with the team and playing on Sundays. I was under the assumption he counted against the 53 man roster but in rereading some articles he may not be.

Woodman
10-19-2014, 08:27 PM
So is it time to finally get Brown out of mothballs?

I can't wait to see this kid!!

HHURRICANE
10-19-2014, 08:29 PM
Sorry that Spiller got hurt but he's not an NFL running back.

He was crying today because he knew his chance to leave Buffalo for a big check elsewhere is over.

I don't look at him as a Buffalo Bill but an opportunist.

Hope he heals.

X-Era
10-19-2014, 08:36 PM

Of course he might go to another team on the same type of contract.I hope he does comeback. I don't think I want him as our primary RB anymore but I think he can be part of a really great one two punch.

BertSquirtgum
10-19-2014, 08:39 PM

I feel sorry for the guy because he was crying himself a river as he was carted off but I am happy he won't be playing anymore because he sucks.

chernobylwraiths
10-19-2014, 09:01 PM
Well, no trading him now. He's probably gone after the year now too.

BertSquirtgum
10-19-2014, 10:35 PM
Well, no trading him now. He's probably gone after the year now too.

Good.

BuffaloRedleg
10-19-2014, 11:11 PM
I don't remember CJ crying at all. Seems like a good dude and a real trooper. It's not his fault the idiots who run the team are incapable of using him.

Can't wait for the weekly threads about him next year about him slaying teams on the ground and through the air. Just like the ones we still see about Lynch. Same movie over and over again.

This is why we are terrible, always.

BertSquirtgum
10-20-2014, 05:29 AM
The Bills will resign him.

Historian
10-20-2014, 05:35 AM
What an odd play to get that type of injury on.

HHURRICANE
10-20-2014, 06:13 AM
I don't remember CJ crying at all. Seems like a good dude and a real trooper. It's not his fault the idiots who run the team are incapable of using him.

Can't wait for the weekly threads about him next year about him slaying teams on the ground and through the air. Just like the ones we still see about Lynch. Same movie over and over again.

This is why we are terrible, always.

"I'll take Reggie Bush for $500, Alex"

Same movie.

trapezeus
10-20-2014, 07:47 AM
i think CJ gets onto a team with quicker linemen that can pull and set blocks for his wide runs is a better fit for him. Someone who has the personel to use spiller will sign him and get use.

his real weakness is that he's not much of a blocker. So on 3rd down, if he's out there, you know he's running or going for a pass. but that he's never in for pass protect. makes is a little easier on the defense and makes your offense more predictable.

i will say, the fact he broker the collarbone on simply going down on a tackle should have teams concerned that maybe durability is an issue.

i always liked CJ as a guy. Had met him once and he is really one of the better guys in the league.

bdutton
10-20-2014, 07:50 AM
I find it ironic that for a guy that gets blasted for losing yards on bounces to the outside, finally breaks one for 50+ to the outside only to get seriously injured at the end of the play.

better days
10-20-2014, 08:25 AM
The Bills will resign him.

Not if Marrone is still the Coach next year.

CJ is just not a fit for what Marrone wants in his RB's.

Meathead
10-20-2014, 08:26 AM
I find it ironic that for a guy that gets blasted for losing yards on bounces to the outside, finally breaks one for 50+ to the outside only to get seriously injured at the end of the play.

by falling down

casdhf
10-20-2014, 08:31 AM
If CJ was really that fast how come some white guy caught him?

Ed
10-20-2014, 10:18 AM
Alonso isn't on IR he's on Reserve/Non-Football Injury list which means we we could activate him over the next two weeks and he could start practicing with the team and playing on Sundays. I was under the assumption he counted against the 53 man roster but in rereading some articles he may not be.
Yeah that's correct. I meant the Non-football IR, which is different, but I'm almost certain he does not count on the 53 right now. I believe they would have to release someone if they did activate him, which is probably highly unlikely since keeping him on the Non-football IR prevents him from accruing a season, and keeps him a RFA at the end of his deal like you said before.

Mr. Miyagi
10-20-2014, 11:00 AM
Why all the hate on Spiller, people? He has always been professional and a good teammate, never complained even though he wasn't used properly and shared the backfield with Freddie, never a bad word about anybody nor displayed any prima dona ego.

Those who spewed all the hate on Spiller should be ashamed of yourselves.

I hope we resign him and use him the right way, like Sproles/Oliver/Bush is used. Spiller would be great in that role.

better days
10-20-2014, 11:07 AM
Why all the hate on Spiller, people? He has always been professional and a good teammate, never complained even though he wasn't used properly and shared the backfield with Freddie, never a bad word about anybody nor displayed any prima dona ego.

I hope we resign him and use him the right way, like Sproles/Oliver/Bush is used. Spiller would be great in that role.

I agree, but Marrone will have to be fired for CJ to be used properly next year on the Bills.

I think it is more likely CJ goes to another team & plays GREAT.

justasportsfan
10-20-2014, 11:14 AM
Bills' Fred Jackson: Bryce Brown an 'every-down back'

"He's an every-down back," Jackson said, per the Bills' official Twitter account. "He can do it all. We won't miss a beat."

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000414225/article/bills-fred-jackson-bryce-brown-an-everydown-back

better days
10-20-2014, 11:22 AM
I think we are all excited to see what Brown can do.

Brown Bailout, the Fed Ex Express.

OpIv37
10-20-2014, 01:23 PM

How manny years has Spiller been in the league? He STILL dances trying to find a huge hole instead of just moving forward for the yards that are there and he STILL loses yards by retreating to find space like he did in college and he STILL can't block a hot dog wrapper that the wind blew onto the field.

Two years ago the flaws were worth it because he'd pop huge runs 2-3 times a game. Now those big plays are more like once every 3-4 games.

Those NOT spewing hate should be ashamed of yourselves because it shows you've accepted mediocrity. It's a common pattern on this board. People say they want the team to win, but then they pick their favorite players and defend them even when their lack of performance is a major reason why the team is t winning.

Forward_Lateral
10-20-2014, 01:26 PM
Spiller is a big play threat. He's a Reggie Bush style player. Can break the big play at anytime. That being said, he's not an every down back. The Bills have done a poor job of getting him the ball in space this year.

I hope he gets well soon, and comes back in a Bills uniform.

IlluminatusUIUC
10-20-2014, 01:32 PM
What an odd play to get that type of injury on.

If I'm not mistaken, Peterson broke his collarbone at OU on a similar play.

ghz in pittsburgh
10-20-2014, 01:39 PM
I believe CJ has a player option to stay with the Bills for $2+ million next year. I'm sure a lot of phone calls will make rounds behind scenes from his agent, particularly when his recovery schedule is more or less set towards the end of the year. At this point, I doubt his agent would advise him to stay with the Bills next year.

Fletch
10-20-2014, 01:46 PM
So on 3rd down, if he's out there, you know he's running or going for a pass. but that he's never in for pass protect. makes is a little easier on the defense and makes your offense more predictable.

He's had 3 carries this season on 3rd downs for -2 yards. This notion that he runs on 3rds is ridiculous. He's been as unreliable on 3rds, under any circumstances, as a RB can possibly be. You talk like you know what you're talking about and you ridicule me constantly, but I've pointed this out dozens and dozens of times, I'd think it'd have sunk into you by now. Everything you said is wrong.

He's got only one catch on 3rd down too, for 3 yards. When he's in on 3rd it is pass-pro or he's not in.

This is exactly why he's a fully expendable role player, he sucks on 3rds, can't pass-protect, and once every fourth game he hits a long run but usually it doesn't even go for a TD.

Expendable.

Fletch
10-20-2014, 01:47 PM
I think we are all excited to see what Brown can do.

Brown Bailout, the Fed Ex Express.

And in three weeks all this nonsense over Brown can finally get put to rest. No one's going to be impressed by Brown.

Fletch
10-20-2014, 01:49 PM
Spiller is a big play threat. He's a Reggie Bush style player. Can break the big play at anytime. That being said, he's not an every down back. The Bills have done a poor job of getting him the ball in space this year.

The problem is that he rarely breaks those big plays we've heard about and playing hiim waiting to make one every fourth game while getting nothing in 50 other touches is hardly a judicious use of a starting spot.

Our coaches don't seem to understand that much less many fans, it's no wonder this team sucks every year like clockwork.

Mr. Pink
10-20-2014, 01:52 PM
And in three weeks all this nonsense over Brown can finally get put to rest. No one's going to be impressed by Brown.

I dunno, I liked what I saw out of Brown in his limited opportunity in Philly.

Dunno if he's built for an entire season of pounding but in the short term he has the opportunity to showcase his talents.

Dr. Lecter
10-20-2014, 01:57 PM
How manny years has Spiller been in the league? He STILL dances trying to find a huge hole instead of just moving forward for the yards that are there and he STILL loses yards by retreating to find space like he did in college and he STILL can't block a hot dog wrapper that the wind blew onto the field.

Two years ago the flaws were worth it because he'd pop huge runs 2-3 times a game. Now those big plays are more like once every 3-4 games.

Those NOT spewing hate should be ashamed of yourselves because it shows you've accepted mediocrity. It's a common pattern on this board. People say they want the team to win, but then they pick their favorite players and defend them even when their lack of performance is a major reason why the team is t winning.

I don't know if it worth "hate" or people wanting him injured.

But I could be wrong

OpIv37
10-20-2014, 02:00 PM
I don't know if it worth "hate" or people wanting him injured.

But I could be wrong

Wanting him injured? No.

And it depends if you mean real hate or Internet hate because they've become different things.

DraftBoy
10-21-2014, 05:42 PM
If I'm not mistaken, Peterson broke his collarbone at OU on a similar play.

You are correct.