PDA

View Full Version : Is EJ tradable?

The Doc
10-19-2014, 05:52 PM
After the seasons over do you think we'd be able to unload EJ for compensation?

It's tricky because while they're not what they used to be he still has a first round contract. Also, is it worth trading him?

Ingtar33
10-19-2014, 05:55 PM
nope.

zero value.

The Jokeman
10-19-2014, 05:56 PM

It's tricky because while they're not what they used to be he still has a first round contract. Also, is it worth trading him?

With the new CBA his contract isn't going to kill any teams but quite frankly he's more valuable here than anywhere else.

Typ0
10-19-2014, 05:57 PM
It's not tricky at all. We would have to pay someone to take his contract off our books.

The Jokeman
10-19-2014, 06:06 PM
It's not tricky at all. We would have to pay someone to take his contract off our books.

Yet we'd have to replace EJ which despite what some would say, to me, is no easy task. As he's the list of UFAs to be. None of them really have EJ's upside and doubt we get any them as cheap as EJ is getting paid. You could make the argument for Locker but I don't like his accuracy and inability to stay healthy.

Carson Palmer QB UFA
Matt Moore QB UFA MIA
Mark Sanchez QB UFA
Jake Locker QB UFA TEN
Michael Vick QB UFA
Matt Hasselbeck QB UFA
Christian Ponder QB UFA
Matt Flynn QB UFA GB
Blaine Gabbert QB UFA
Shaun Hill QB UFA STL
Jason Campbell QB UFA
Tarvaris Jackson QB UFA
Brian Hoyer QB UFA
Ryan Mallett QB UFA
Tyrod Taylor QB UFA
T.J. Yates QB UFA ATL
Jimmy Clausen QB UFA
Joe Webb QB UFA CAR
Dan Orlovsky QB UFA
Colt McCoy QB UFA WAS
Luke McCown QB UFA

Typ0
10-19-2014, 07:06 PM
Most of the guys on this list are unacceptable. I am not sure how Manual is going to respond to his current situation that certainly is a tale that needs to be told. However, we need QB play this is not about money or draft picks. If Manual is going to play the way he played this season he certainly needs to be replaced. I hope he wakes up and watches Orton sling that ball around and decides to put some frigging zip in his step for cripes sakes!

Yet we'd have to replace EJ which despite what some would say, to me, is no easy task. As he's the list of UFAs to be. None of them really have EJ's upside and doubt we get any them as cheap as EJ is getting paid. You could make the argument for Locker but I don't like his accuracy and inability to stay healthy.

Carson Palmer QB UFA
Matt Moore QB UFA MIA
Mark Sanchez QB UFA
Jake Locker QB UFA TEN
Michael Vick QB UFA
Matt Hasselbeck QB UFA
Christian Ponder QB UFA
Matt Flynn QB UFA GB
Blaine Gabbert QB UFA
Shaun Hill QB UFA STL
Jason Campbell QB UFA
Tarvaris Jackson QB UFA
Brian Hoyer QB UFA
Ryan Mallett QB UFA
Tyrod Taylor QB UFA
T.J. Yates QB UFA ATL
Jimmy Clausen QB UFA
Joe Webb QB UFA CAR
Dan Orlovsky QB UFA
Colt McCoy QB UFA WAS
Luke McCown QB UFA

Mace
10-19-2014, 07:11 PM

Light either comes on and we have a future QB, or it's next draft and we have no first round pick where other people do. If the light never comes on, he'll be riding the pines here until his contract runs out.

DraftBoy
10-19-2014, 07:49 PM
No there isn't anything of value he offers on the trade market. Guarantee somebody would pick him up if we cut him however.

HHURRICANE
10-19-2014, 08:20 PM
Why can't he be the backup for 4 years?

trapezeus
10-20-2014, 07:56 AM
EJ was 2-2. For a back up, that's pretty acceptable.

he also looks pretty dialed in during the games. he was fist pumping the win in some of the replays after the TD. He seems like a good soldier, we have him for a couple more years and he always was a project QB.

i think you want to keep him until someone unseats him. if we draft another guy and he outperforms EJ, then ej gets moved or cut. otherwise, no need to establish another hole on a team that his having a lot of holes created by injury.

Albany,n.y.
10-20-2014, 08:53 AM
The trade value is a 6th or 7th rounder. Blaine Gabbert went for a 6th rounder.

The Doc
10-20-2014, 02:16 PM
The trade value is a 6th or 7th rounder. Blaine Gabbert went for a 6th rounder.

I'd take a 6th with some crazy conditions for a "conditional 4th" to make it look better for the organization...

HHURRICANE
10-20-2014, 02:28 PM
We would have to trade a higher pick to get a decent backup.

Why would we take a 6th only to spend a 4th on a replacement?

justasportsfan
10-20-2014, 03:20 PM
Marrone is most likely hoping he could trade EJ for Nassib straight up.

Dr. Who
10-20-2014, 03:35 PM
I still think EJ may develop into a decent qb given time.
The Doc never liked him, hence, the gratuitous negative EJ thread.

The Doc
10-20-2014, 04:55 PM

After the Atlanta game I gave up on EJ.

Generalissimus Gibby
10-20-2014, 04:59 PM
I think you undervalue his trade value. He's young, relatively healthy, and has NFL experience. The problem is that nobody will want his salary, but I think if he should take a pay cut that he'd make lots of teams a fine backup. The problem is that so would Kyle Orton.

alohabillsfan
10-20-2014, 05:11 PM
I thought this was a rhetorical question!! Lmao!

Mr. Pink
10-20-2014, 08:09 PM
6th or 7th rounder.

Young NFL QB that some team may think they can take a flier on and groom.

Dr. Who
10-21-2014, 10:20 AM
After the Atlanta game I gave up on EJ.

The one where Chandler and Stevie fumbled?
Don't know how old you are. I remember when young qbs "matured" for three or four years before they were actually asked to start.
It's a different game now, but I still think EJ has potential.

Also, he's such a good kid, I'd like to see virtue rewarded. Doesn't seem to happen much in this world, but I'm going to root for him, regardless.

Night Train
10-21-2014, 10:45 AM
Jury is completely out on Manuel but the NFL tends to start QB's far too early. 1 out of 10-20 actually do something beyond their first contract.

Remember all the draft buzz for guys named Gabbert, Clausen, Harrington, Quinn, Tebow and dozens of others ? ( Like Losman ) ? Yeah..that panned out.

Throw them in the fire early... and basically ruin them.

Manuel couldn't hit the ocean standing on the beach this fall...but he's what.. 23 years old ? Work with him for another year or 2 on his dirt cheap contract and see if he can actually develop. Orton is showing him poise in the pocket, reading defenses and how to be calm in the big moment. Maybe something clicks, maybe not... but dumping him now makes no sense.

The Doc
10-21-2014, 11:27 AM
The one where Chandler and Stevie fumbled?
Don't know how old you are. I remember when young qbs "matured" for three or four years before they were actually asked to start.
It's a different game now, but I still think EJ has potential.

Also, he's such a good kid, I'd like to see virtue rewarded. Doesn't seem to happen much in this world, but I'm going to root for him, regardless.

I'm 30. Meaning I've seen a lot if QBs come and the good ones ALL show their promise early. EJ hasn't shown any promise.

Also, the Atlanta game, EJs ineptitude is the reason they were able to crawl back into that game. Chandler and Stevie's fumble weren't EJs fault.

better days
10-21-2014, 11:36 AM
I'm 30. Meaning I've seen a lot if QBs come and the good ones ALL show their promise early. EJ hasn't shown any promise.

Also, the Atlanta game, EJs ineptitude is the reason they were able to crawl back into that game. Chandler and Stevie's fumble weren't EJs fault.

Steve Young says hello, Rich Gannon says hello. Kurt Warner says hello, Jack Kemp says hello, Jim Plunkett says hello.

Just off the top of my head.

The Doc
10-21-2014, 12:13 PM
Steve Young says hello, Rich Gannon says hello. Kurt Warner says hello, Jack Kemp says hello, Jim Plunkett says hello.

Just off the top of my head.

Great QBs. Different times.

QBs these days come more ready and the rules are set up for QB success.

better days
10-21-2014, 12:18 PM
Great QBs. Different times.

QBs these days come more ready and the rules are set up for QB success.

Well, you know how to change your tune quickly.

Aside from Andrew Luck & maybe Russell Wilson, what other QB's today were quick to success?

Mr. Pink
10-21-2014, 12:26 PM
Jury is completely out on Manuel but the NFL tends to start QB's far too early. 1 out of 10-20 actually do something beyond their first contract.

Remember all the draft buzz for guys named Gabbert, Clausen, Harrington, Quinn, Tebow and dozens of others ? ( Like Losman ) ? Yeah..that panned out.

Throw them in the fire early... and basically ruin them.

Manuel couldn't hit the ocean standing on the beach this fall...but he's what.. 23 years old ? Work with him for another year or 2 on his dirt cheap contract and see if he can actually develop. Orton is showing him poise in the pocket, reading defenses and how to be calm in the big moment. Maybe something clicks, maybe not... but dumping him now makes no sense.

QBs do not need to be developed in the NFL anymore.

The rules favor the passing game, offenses are the same offenses run by these guys in the collegiate ranks.

These guys either get it and succeed or flop.

The Doc
10-21-2014, 12:31 PM
Well, you know how to change your tune quickly.

Aside from Andrew Luck & maybe Russell Wilson, what other QB's today were quick to success?

Dude...really? Cam Newton. Andy Dalton. Matt Ryan. Ben Roethlisberger. Collin Keapernick (I know he had a year). RGIII showed what he can be his first year.

Lots of QBs come to ball. EJ doesn't look like those guys. He looks like; Gabbert, and Pondrer.

Evan Eli Manning, Locker and Tannehill showed more than EJ.

Dr. Who
10-21-2014, 02:14 PM
Surely, it's a passing league now. I don't see how that rules out developing a qb over time.
I don't buy that they have it immediately or close to, or they never get it.
Anyway, maybe it's a generational divide. I'm fifty. Good things sometimes take patience.

All that said, I hope we give EJ a chance and select another young qb to compete.
Orton is okay for now. I like Shane Carden, the ECU qb, btw.

Mr. Pink
10-21-2014, 02:59 PM
People need to come to terms with this is no longer the 1970s version of the NFL anymore.

Teams don't have the luxury of sitting on players for years hoping they'll develop because they can keep them for 15 years if they work out.

With parity teams come up from out of nowhere yearly and succeed. You don't need 5 year rebuilding plans. Last years garbage can be this years cinderella and next years powerhouse. And then just as quickly they can fade back to obscurity.

better days
10-21-2014, 03:11 PM
People need to come to terms with this is no longer the 1970s version of the NFL anymore.

Teams don't have the luxury of sitting on players for years hoping they'll develop because they can keep them for 15 years if they work out.

With parity teams come up from out of nowhere yearly and succeed. You don't need 5 year rebuilding plans. Last years garbage can be this years cinderella and next years powerhouse. And then just as quickly they can fade back to obscurity.

Actually with the CBA in place today, teams can afford to develop a QB much more than in the past.

If you draft a QB in the first rnd, you have him for 5 years to develop at a CHEAP price.

A QB drafted after the first rnd, a team can only keep 4 years on the rookie contract but at a REALLY CHEAP price.

Mr. Pink
10-21-2014, 04:41 PM
Actually with the CBA in place today, teams can afford to develop a QB much more than in the past.

If you draft a QB in the first rnd, you have him for 5 years to develop at a CHEAP price.

A QB drafted after the first rnd, a team can only keep 4 years on the rookie contract but at a REALLY CHEAP price.

And name me one team who has done this in today's NFL...outside of the Packers with Favre and Rodgers.

Guys get thrown in quickly and either sink or swim. Those who sink fade away into obscurity as fast as their star rose to being touted the "next big thing"

According to your thinking, Trent Edwards should still be here and be developed cuz maybe he'd get it by now.

The Doc
10-21-2014, 05:10 PM

I believe in appropriate and aggressive action. We bought high in EJ and his stock has done nothing but tank. If we can salvage anything out of it then let's do it lest we wind up like the Titans with Locker and Locker is a better QB than EJ...

better days
10-22-2014, 06:00 AM
And name me one team who has done this in today's NFL...outside of the Packers with Favre and Rodgers.

Guys get thrown in quickly and either sink or swim. Those who sink fade away into obscurity as fast as their star rose to being touted the "next big thing"

According to your thinking, Trent Edwards should still be here and be developed cuz maybe he'd get it by now.

Rodgers is a great example of a guy that had the chance to sit & develop.

Far too often, QB's are thrown to the wolves too soon.

Maybe teams should learn a lesson from the Packers.

The Doc
10-22-2014, 08:43 AM

Don't take this the wrong way because I'm not trying to say you're point isn't valid or anything...but we don't know that Rogers wouldn't have been good if he had started immediately.

better days
10-22-2014, 08:47 AM
Don't take this the wrong way because I'm not trying to say you're point isn't valid or anything...but we don't know that Rogers wouldn't have been good if he had started immediately.

Agreed, but we do know for a fact he became successful after sitting & developing.

In the same respect, we don't know how many QB's that were thrown to the wolves day one & failed would have had success if they were given the chance to sit & develop.

better days
10-22-2014, 09:02 AM
And Tom Brady sat his rookie year, watching Bledsoe & developing. Brady was 1 of 3 his rookie year.

Who knows what would have happened to him if he had to play day one as a Rookie.

Discotrish
10-22-2014, 09:14 AM
Pretty sure they could trade him to the Atlanta Braves for B.J. Upton.

http://media.giphy.com/media/wFNbn8CjHjne8/giphy.gif

Patti

OpIv37
10-22-2014, 11:42 AM
UB

Carson Palmer QB UFA
Matt Moore QB UFA MIA
Mark Sanchez QB UFA
Jake Locker QB UFA TEN
Michael Vick QB UFA
Matt Hasselbeck QB UFA
Christian Ponder QB UFA
Matt Flynn QB UFA GB
Blaine Gabbert QB UFA
Shaun Hill QB UFA STL
Jason Campbell QB UFA
Tarvaris Jackson QB UFA
Brian Hoyer QB UFA
Ryan Mallett QB UFA
Tyrod Taylor QB UFA
T.J. Yates QB UFA ATL
Jimmy Clausen QB UFA
Joe Webb QB UFA CAR
Dan Orlovsky QB UFA
Colt McCoy QB UFA WAS
Luke McCown QB UFA
Not only that but EJ knows the system.

People quickly forget that we've had a backup QB cluster**** for the last two years. Finding a competent one isn't as easy as one might think.

For all EJ's faults, he's by far the least bad option.

OpIv37
10-22-2014, 11:58 AM
Pretty sure they could trade him to the Atlanta Braves for B.J. Upton.

http://media.giphy.com/media/wFNbn8CjHjne8/giphy.gif

Patti
If he hits like that we should trade for him. He can be the gunner on special teams.

Historian
10-22-2014, 12:07 PM
I think even the Bills agreed that he was a bit of a project when they drafted him, so I have no problem letting him carry a clipboard this year and next.

It would not surprise me if the Bills released him at the end of the season though.

better days
10-22-2014, 12:10 PM
I think even the Bills agreed that he was a bit of a project when they drafted him, so I have no problem letting him carry a clipboard this year and next.

It would not surprise me if the Bills released him at the end of the season though.

If the Bills draft a QB, I think they at least give EJ the chance to compete in TC.

EJ has been a cheerleader on the sideline, not a malcontent.

jimmifli
10-22-2014, 12:18 PM
Rookie QB contracts are the so valuable it doesn't make much sense to carry a veteran backup (unless your starter is on a rookie deal).

The only way we move/cut EJ is if we replace him with another rookie. And I don't see that happening next draft.

Mr. Pink
10-22-2014, 01:55 PM

:rofl:

Of course he sat on the Packers because they had a HOF QB in front of him.

And it has been widely speculated/stated that Favre wanted no part and did no tutelage of Rodgers.

If Rodgers was drafted say here, he would have started Day 1.

Mr. Pink
10-22-2014, 01:58 PM
UB

People quickly forget that we've had a backup QB cluster**** for the last two years. Finding a competent one isn't as easy as one might think.

He's also by far not the best option or even an adequate option.

Albany,n.y.
10-22-2014, 03:13 PM

And that lesson is when a franchise QB falls into your laps you draft him, even if your starter has a few good years left. Indianapolis did the same thing when Andrew Luck was available but decided to start him immediately and jettison Manning for the good of the team 5+ years down the road. I don't see how either way helped or hurt them, even though one had to sit & one played right away. A franchise QB is a franchise QB no matter what you do with them, same thing the other way, a bust is a bust. Tom Brady & JP Losman both sat behind Drew Bledsoe their rookie years with vastly different career results because they are who they are.

Albany,n.y.
10-22-2014, 03:19 PM
UB

That assumes the system is the same next year. Quite a leap of faith in Hackett.

BertSquirtgum
10-22-2014, 09:21 PM

He's about as worthless as the turds floating in my toilet.

better days
10-23-2014, 07:52 AM
:rofl:

Of course he sat on the Packers because they had a HOF QB in front of him.

And it has been widely speculated/stated that Favre wanted no part and did no tutelage of Rodgers.

If Rodgers was drafted say here, he would have started Day 1.

Yes Favre said he was a player, not a Coach. But with out doubt, Rodgers learned just from being around Favre & watching him in games.

Rodgers may have started day one in Buffalo, & he also could have been out of the NFL by now if he were drafted by Buffalo.

swiper
10-19-2015, 05:06 PM

Dr. Idiot

Cleve
10-19-2015, 05:29 PM
Manuel is every bit as tradable as Aaron Maybin was.

Historian
10-20-2015, 03:13 AM
bag of pucks....

Trade him to Calgary for a goalie.

Victor7
10-20-2015, 04:09 PM
I'd trade him for a case of Natty Light.

I'll even take expired ones and call it a steal.

Typ0
10-20-2015, 04:52 PM
The situation is even worse now. My concern is Whaley traded away Cassel because he's a stubborn ass who refuses to look at reality.

gebobs
10-20-2015, 07:25 PM
Maybe we can package him with Mammy Watkins and move up a few spots in the 5th round.

BillsImpossible
10-20-2015, 07:32 PM
No.

Skooby
10-20-2015, 09:43 PM
Insanity /.

stuckincincy
10-20-2015, 09:50 PM
No.

I agree. He's just as much as a project as when he was drafted, and so he commands little. BUF has to keep him this season - familiar with the playbook, nothing out there, etc.

Victor7
10-21-2015, 08:56 AM
The situation is even worse now. My concern is Whaley traded away Cassel because he's a stubborn ass who refuses to look at reality.

Fact

GreedoII
10-21-2015, 09:54 AM

He's cuttable....that's for sure