PDA

View Full Version : Biggest problem with this team is the OL

kingJofNYC
10-19-2014, 06:26 PM
Pathetic display today by everyone on the OL. We can't play football with our OL, they're awful. Cyril stinks, Henderson is bad without help, Pears should be on the bench. Worst part, coaching staff is doing nothing to improve or at least mitigate this disaster.

Hacketts play calling is bad and predictable, but this OL is wretched and limits what we can do on O. Can't run, we can't pass block a five step drop, we have to use extra blockers so we have fewer pass options and route combos which leads to more pressure by opposing defenses. It's a negative feedback loop.

Drastic changes are needed in the offseason, unless Henderson, Cyril, and Cyrus all miraculously develop into starting caliber linemen.

RedEyE
10-19-2014, 06:54 PM
I think some of this can be fixed with Orton's position on the field. His shotgun position seems about 3 steps off the center. He has no clear room to view the field or step into the pocket and his position puts him closer to the DLine. More sacks and pressures equates to more mistakes.

I'm not at all saying the line is blameless, just that he could help things a bit by making sure he's at least another 2 yards back from where he sits today.

YardRat
10-19-2014, 06:58 PM
Richardson and Henderson are going to struggle at times, they are rookies. Pears has no excuse. Plug in Urbik, hope the 2 rooks get better, or hope the lightbulb comes on for KuJo at guard.

The run game actually looked a little better today IMO, but still not nearly good enough, and pass pro had too many breakdowns again.

Mace
10-19-2014, 07:01 PM
I think some of this can be fixed with Orton's position on the field. His shotgun position seems about 3 steps off the center. He has no clear room to view the field or step into the pocket and his position puts him closer to the DLine. More sacks and pressures equates to more mistakes.

I'm not at all saying the line is blameless, just that he could help things a bit by making sure he's at least another 2 yards back from where he sits today.

Might be something to your thought, but he's getting buried or obviously on the way to, from the snap too much like he's behind a line of Demetress Bells.

ServoBillieves
10-19-2014, 07:03 PM
What's the word on Chris Williams? Also Urbik?

Mace
10-19-2014, 07:07 PM

Williams is done on IR, Urbik may as well be for whatever Marrone's problem is with him.

The Jokeman
10-19-2014, 07:07 PM

Williams was IR'd earlier so he done for the season, Urbik is just staying on the bench for some odd reason.

Ingtar33
10-19-2014, 09:38 PM

ubrick is in the doghouse. marrone never liked him.

Mr. Pink
10-19-2014, 10:05 PM
I dunno about that, the secondary is pretty brutal too.

BertSquirtgum
10-19-2014, 10:49 PM
Moron needs to go.

swiper
10-20-2014, 04:07 AM
Richardson and Henderson are going to struggle at times, they are rookies. Pears has no excuse. Plug in Urbik, hope the 2 rooks get better, or hope the lightbulb comes on for KuJo at guard.

The run game actually looked a little better today IMO, but still not nearly good enough, and pass pro had too many breakdowns again.

IDK. I was indifferent when they put Pears at RG over Urbik, but the pass blocking has completely broken down. It seems every time that Orton dropped back he was surrounded with d-linemen. Marrone should put Urbik back at RG. Wonder why he won't.

Night Train
10-20-2014, 05:17 AM
Agree the OL is just terrible. Causes a domino effect to the running game (none) and passing game (quick swing passes ). Opposing D's can just put 9 in a box and shut down the vast majority of pass plays beyond 5 yards. Limits Orton to a Trent Edwards, Kelly Holcomb playbook but Hackett isn't helping with his play calling.

Forward_Lateral
10-20-2014, 05:42 AM

The problem, or part of it anyways, is they don't run the ball consistently enough to allow the line to get in a rhythm. Brown was smashing for 4-6 yards almost every time he got the ball. If he gets 6+ on first down, why not run the exact same play the next time?

coastal
10-20-2014, 06:44 AM
You can never have enough CBs.

better days
10-20-2014, 06:54 AM
I remember people complaining about the OL when Rob Johnson was the QB.

Then Doug Flutie came in & the OL looked much better.

I am not saying the OL is good, but Orton, like Rob Johnson is holding the ball much too long.

Dr. Lecter
10-20-2014, 06:56 AM
I dunno about that, the secondary is pretty brutal too.

It's not even close. The OL is 1000000X times worse.

The secondary is not perfect, but is not horrible either - at least when Duke Williams is not out there

justasportsfan
10-20-2014, 09:29 AM
The PAtriots lost Mankins and they fixed it.

We lost Levitre 2 seasons ago and we're still trying to fix it and the OL is supposed to be Marrone's expertise?

mysticsoto
10-20-2014, 10:24 AM
The OL is going to be under a microscope this week. Our beating the Jets is going to revolve entirely on the OL. The Jets CBs are crap. If KO gets time, Watkins and company should smoke the secondary.

Our Defense should be able to stop Geno. The OL needs to come through this game!!!