PDA

View Full Version : Hypothetical QB Question

DesertFox24
10-21-2014, 02:56 PM
All,

Orton has played above average to good in his three starts. Yes he makes one bone head play a game but he has also done some really nice things. The turnover bug has really hit this team the last two weeks and had it not been for the Woods fumble and Ortons strip sack the game would have been tied at a minimum in my personal opinion. Take in the fact that Hogans resulted in points as well.

All that aside if Orton keeps playing like this and actually starts to get more a rapport with the WRs, TE, and RBs is drafting a QB a must. Orton is 33 and probably has a good 4 years left after this year of being a decent player.

Would the bills be wiser to draft a QB in the first round next year and let him groom under Orton for a few years and take over after 2 years on the bench learning?

We are not bad enough to draft in the top 3 and I highly doubt we will be that bad for a long time, so the type of prospects we are looking at will be drafted in the 14 and up range.

QBs fall every year so it is a possibility.

RedEyE
10-21-2014, 03:04 PM
First, the Bills do not have a 1st next season as they traded that away to Cleveland.

Second, and more to the point of your thread, I'm inclined to not pick up a high round QB next season if Orton is panning out. Leave EJ on the bench for "training purposes". He provides adequate back-up depth. If Orton is panning out wait until 2016 to draft high round.

feldspar
Actually, Kyle Orton is currently 31-years-old, not 33.

We've seen what happens time and time again when teams draft QBs just because they need one. EJ Manuel is a good example...JP Losman is a worse example because we had Bledsoe at the time.

So it all depends on who is available next year, whether it be in the draft or in free agency. Then there is the issue of whether the Bills feel that EJ is still waiting in the wings and learning, waiting for his next chance after he "grows" as a player, which does not exactly give me a warm feeling personally.

The picture will become clearer after this season is over as to whether Orton is viable going into next year, weighing that with the actual options that are out there at the QB position. You can't just invent a guy to get, he has to be realistically available to the Bills.

better days
The first question should be who will be the HC & OC next year.

If the Bills win with Orton & make the playoffs, Marrone & Hackett stay put.

At 8-8 or worse, I want to see Hackett gone at the very least.

And when Marrone benched Manuel, he said it was about winning & the better guy should play...so why are Urbic & Mike Williams not playing?

feldspar
10-21-2014, 03:15 PM
And when Marrone benched Manuel, he said it was about winning & the better guy should play...so why are Urbic & Mike Williams not playing?

I have a strong feeling that Morrone will start Urbik this week...finally. This Jets defense is tough up front on defense, no matter what the record says. Starting Urbik instead of Richardson is a no-brainer IMO. Good Lord. On the other hand, their secondary isn't exactly stellar...THAT, coupled with the Bills' running back situation says that the Bills should exploit the Jets secondary in the passing game, which means protecting the QB for that to work. Of course, a better line means better run-blocking as well. I'll be entirely pissed if I see Richardson start this week.

Thurmal
10-21-2014, 04:18 PM
Orton, with a good line and a competent play-caller at OC would be a perfectly fine starter next year, especially given our defense.

This team needs help at LB, S, G, and T before QB in my opinion.

ServoBillieves
10-21-2014, 04:23 PM
Orton, with a good line and a competent play-caller at OC would be a perfectly fine starter next year, especially given our defense.

This team needs help at LB, S, G, and T before QB in my opinion.

I'm confused how LB and T need to be addressed. Guard is a given, Safety as well, and TE is the elephant in the room, but what's wrong with Kiko/Bradham/Spikes (if he stays)/Brown/Rivers? Glenn is good, Henderson was a steal and young, maybe KuJo pulls his head out of his ass?

I'm not undermining or being a dick I'm seriously asking why you think LB and T are problems.

starrymessenger
10-21-2014, 04:41 PM
Bills are fortunate Orton was asleep on his couch when they finally realized they needed a QB.
Amazing that after so long Bills fans are actually able to say for once that QB is not the problem (O-line is).
Of course they need to draft and develop the next guy up.
Unfortunately they absolutely lack the wherewithal to do that.
That is reason enuf for the current crew to be sent packing.

Fixxxer
10-21-2014, 04:44 PM
First, the Bills do not have a 1st next season as they traded that away to Cleveland.

Second, and more to the point of your thread, I'm inclined to not pick up a high round QB next season if Orton is panning out. Leave EJ on the bench for "training purposes". He provides adequate back-up depth. If Orton is panning out wait until 2016 to draft high round.

I hope Pegula tells his employees to never rest on their laurels regarding the QB position. He needs to tell Whaley to keep scouting them and keep taking them if they really like one. We have a solid team right now, if there is some QB they like coming into next years draft they need to pull the trigger.

RedEyE
10-21-2014, 04:50 PM
I hope Pegula tells his employees to never rest on their laurels regarding the QB position. He needs to tell Whaley to keep scouting them and keep taking them if they really like one. We have a solid team right now, if there is some QB they like coming into next years draft they need to pull the trigger.

Oh, I totally agree. My thought is though, if Orton is workingfor us at an above average pace, I'd prefer to see the higher round picks 2015 (no 1st avail) used on something more pressing like OL, TE or a CB. Honestly watching college ball this year no one really impresses me at QB anyway.

starrymessenger
10-21-2014, 04:51 PM

If they see a QB they really like they should avoid picking him at all cost.
these guys can neither pick nor develop a QB to save their lives or the franchise.
When asked what he saw that he liked in EJ Whaley went on about his "presence".
WTF. How about can he throw a football?

YardRat
10-21-2014, 05:12 PM
Getting a QB is all about 'luck', in the context of Raymond Berry's definition. Be prepared to pull the trigger when the opportunity is there, but don't force it if it isn't. If a FA becomes available that they really love, by all means try and sign him. If one drops in their lap that is the best player on the board, draft him. Don't get so enamored by the position that it all of a sudden becomes a higher priority than it should be, at the expense of other talent at other positions.

Almost everybody wanted a first round QB. Almost everybody was slobbering over the prospect of being able to snag the 'pick of the litter' out of approximately four real 'contenders' (in their minds). Be careful what you wish for, you might actually get it.

trapezeus
10-21-2014, 05:16 PM
if Orton goes 8-8 or better, he's your starter next year. EJ is your back up and you should have another guy in the cards. if the best player available is QB when we draft at 2 or 7, that's where we get him.

Orton has to keep getting better, and EJ will see if he's long for the Bills or not. if the new draftee beats him out, he's done. if not, you keep 3 qbs.

if next sesason orton flames out which has a high probability due to his age at that point and his career stats, EJ either needs to prove he was worth the project or th ebills need to hope they are in position to draft in a deep class.

i think if you draft BPA, next draft through all rounds, we could use depth in all categories.

DesertFox24
10-21-2014, 05:18 PM

The first I mentioned was 2016. Hence my point, why draft a QB in 2015 when we can wait till 2016. If Orton continues to be above average to good I say ride with him. See how EJ progresses in 2015 and if not seeing it then draft a guy in 2016. Either way I think it would be good to resign Orton after the 2016 to either start mentor new rookie QB or backup EJ.

DesertFox24
10-21-2014, 05:20 PM
I'm confused how LB and T need to be addressed. Guard is a given, Safety as well, and TE is the elephant in the room, but what's wrong with Kiko/Bradham/Spikes (if he stays)/Brown/Rivers? Glenn is good, Henderson was a steal and young, maybe KuJo pulls his head out of his ass?

I'm not undermining or being a dick I'm seriously asking why you think LB and T are problems.

LB and OT depending on what happens with Rivers/Spikes and Kuonjo (spelling). If CK moves to guard that will be hole we will need to fill.

In addition Eric Pears, Urbik, and Hairston are in last year of contract will need at least 3 OL to replace.

DesertFox24
10-21-2014, 05:23 PM
Getting a QB is all about 'luck', in the context of Raymond Berry's definition. Be prepared to pull the trigger when the opportunity is there, but don't force it if it isn't. If a FA becomes available that they really love, by all means try and sign him. If one drops in their lap that is the best player on the board, draft him. Don't get so enamored by the position that it all of a sudden becomes a higher priority than it should be, at the expense of other talent at other positions.

Almost everybody wanted a first round QB. Almost everybody was slobbering over the prospect of being able to snag the 'pick of the litter' out of approximately four real 'contenders' (in their minds). Be careful what you wish for, you might actually get it.

I agree with this strategy and that was my point. If Orton plays ok do not force a QB like they did with the EJ pick. We do need to get a young guy that they like and can develop but we do not need a day one starter in my opinion.

EJ may be the guy but this coaching staff benching him and why the benched him has me thinking not going to happen, and I was really routing for the guy.

WagonCircler
10-21-2014, 05:29 PM
EJ needs to go away. His problems are not fixable and his presence here might hinder the Bills from pursuing a successor to Orton.

I'm pretty confident that Whaley and Marrone will be gone next year, though, and that will be the end for EJ's stay here.

ghz in pittsburgh
10-21-2014, 05:50 PM
Let's wait until the Jets game, can we? The Bills hasn't won there for how many years.

I'm predicting that if Orton continues his 1 INT 1 fumble per game pace into Meadowland, the Bills have no chance.

RedEyE
10-21-2014, 06:15 PM
The first I mentioned was 2016. Hence my point, why draft a QB in 2015 when we can wait till 2016. If Orton continues to be above average to good I say ride with him. See how EJ progresses in 2015 and if not seeing it then draft a guy in 2016. Either way I think it would be good to resign Orton after the 2016 to either start mentor new rookie QB or backup EJ.

I agree all the way.

ICRockets
10-21-2014, 06:19 PM
I think you have to scout the QBs coming out of the draft, so it doesn't do much good for us to come up with a plan right now. I'd keep an eye on all of them and if there's a guy who does a nosedive from where he's expected to go, like an Aaron Rodgers or a Johnny Manziel, I think about trading up into the back end of the 1st round to take him. Unless, of course, we have guys who are slated to go in the 2nd round who we prefer or believe are equal to the top guys. What I'm seeing from Doug Whaley is a guy who can assess talent. The Watkins trade is all Whaley. If there is a QB we believe in as much as we believed in Sammy, we make another bold move to get him. Otherwise, we sit back and stockpile talent on the OL and in the secondary.

BillsImpossible
10-21-2014, 06:28 PM
I'd bet money that a lot of fans in Chicago would love to have Kyle Orton starting at quarterback right about now.

Thurmal
10-21-2014, 06:43 PM

They're legitimate points and you're probably right on the LB part. We've got a good core if Spikes is resigned.

I'm assuming that Spikes will leave, though, and the Bills really need all the O-line help they can get b/c there is virtually no depth whatsoever. Also, our D could go to the next level with a OLB that can really rush the passer.

YardRat
10-21-2014, 07:00 PM
If this team fights until the end for a playoff spot, and if the defense continues to play well, I could see Pepper convincing Spikes this is the right place for him.

better days
10-22-2014, 06:13 AM
They're legitimate points and you're probably right on the LB part. We've got a good core if Spikes is resigned.

I'm assuming that Spikes will leave, though, and the Bills really need all the O-line help they can get b/c there is virtually no depth whatsoever. Also, our D could go to the next level with a OLB that can really rush the passer.

Why would Spikes leave? I think he enjoys playing in Buffalo & I think the Bills will want to keep him.