PDA

View Full Version : Watch St. Louis Rams...QB Related

DraftBoy
10-21-2014, 05:29 PM
The Rams are going to have a difficult decision ahead of them in the offseason. Sam Bradford is coming off yet another injury and youngster Austin Davis has looked really good over the last few weeks throwing the ball (66% cmp pct, 9 TD, 4 INT, 7.3 YPA). He's not going to wow you with arm strength or athleticism but he's been good on a bad Rams team.

The Rams have a 15+ million dollar cap number in Bradford in 2015 so unless they plan to eat that and cut him they are going to have to make a choice. Davis is a RFA after this year and with the way he has played he's going to have some suitors. So if you think he could be the guy do you take a shot and offer him a sizable deal and force St. Louis to pass on him?

Meathead
10-21-2014, 05:39 PM
take a shot at who, bradford or davis

DraftBoy
10-21-2014, 05:41 PM
take a shot at who, bradford or davis

Either or?

ghz in pittsburgh
10-21-2014, 05:41 PM
Sign Bradford. Pegula will pay. End of story.

Meathead
10-21-2014, 06:00 PM
in three games orton is 68.5% 5td 3int. small sample but the pcent and tds are winnable numbers. the ints are too high but hes never been an int machine so that should come down nicely over time

if he can keep that up through the whole season id rather have the bills stick with him and ej instead of throwing big money and/or picks at teams/players that are big risks already. if anything use a 3/4th rounder for a flyer on a qb and see if you get lucky, but they dont have many picks so even that might be a stretch unless they pick up more picks somewhere this year. other than that, youd hope to get an answer on ej during that time, which considering how orton is getting banged around it isnt out of the question to think ej will get some extended time at some point

fortunately watkins looks like he might be the real special deal, which makes the painful investment of this coming first and fourth worth it. its gonna hurt not having those picks but not as much as ... well you know

imbondz
10-21-2014, 06:14 PM
I'd love Bradford if we could get him OL protection but he's too injury prone to risk it.

YardRat
10-21-2014, 06:18 PM
Hell no, and no.

RedEyE
10-21-2014, 06:36 PM
Man Bradford was as highly coveted as Luck when he was coming out. I don't think Bradford is a victim of the Rams system as much as I think he is victim of his own mental issues. And Davis better performance is proof of that. I'd personally pass on Bradford.

Thurmal
10-21-2014, 06:39 PM
Signing an QB with two ACL tears who has been completely underwhelming as a pro to an enormous contract would be the most Buffalo move ever.

BillsImpossible
10-21-2014, 07:16 PM
Signing an QB with two ACL tears who has been completely underwhelming as a pro to an enormous contract would be the most Buffalo move ever.

Stop being so negative, Thurmal.

Do you have Fletchitis?

Thurmal
10-21-2014, 07:31 PM
Stop being so negative, Thurmal.

Do you have Fletchitis?
No, I am just 30 and haven't seen my favorite team in a playoff game since a week after I got my driver's license, so I'm very jaded and have learned to condition myself to be disappointed. I would just like them to keep Orton until they find a QB that isn't a huge risk/reach/project.

trapezeus
10-21-2014, 09:16 PM
I think itd have to be a favorable contract to look at Bradford.

He he also was not on par with luck at all. I disagree with that as his shoulder surgeries were major question marks

Goobylal
10-21-2014, 10:00 PM
No on Bradford. Hasn't done much, has a big contract, and is injury-prone. As for Davis, let him play out the rest of the season. Remember how everyone was gushing over Kirk Cousins?

Ed
10-21-2014, 11:40 PM
I just don't see what there is to like about Bradford at this point. 18-30 as a starter, and his completion %, YPA, and passer rating are no better than EJ Manuel's. How many years is he going to get to finally show something? I'd rather just stick with Orton and see if EJ can improve.

Way too early to have any kind of long term opinion of Austin Davis, but he's definitely been a surprise. I thought the Rams would be in contention for the #1 pick.

IlluminatusUIUC
10-22-2014, 12:42 AM
Sam Bradford wouldn't even be in the NFL anymore if he wasn't the top overall pick. He's been horrible.

Night Train
10-22-2014, 04:12 AM
Another All-Whirlpool.

Spends far too much time on IR.

Zero mobility.

Broken glass.

Sounds perfect for the old Bills.. but let's start a new era of doing things the right way under Pegula.

swiper
10-22-2014, 04:33 AM
Both QBs would be a step back from Orton. Why even ask the question? Austin's ceiling is Fiitzpatrick. Bradford's ship has, unfortunately, sailed with the most recent injury adding to his list of such.

better days
10-22-2014, 05:38 AM
The Rams are going to have a difficult decision ahead of them in the offseason. Sam Bradford is coming off yet another injury and youngster Austin Davis has looked really good over the last few weeks throwing the ball (66% cmp pct, 9 TD, 4 INT, 7.3 YPA). He's not going to wow you with arm strength or athleticism but he's been good on a bad Rams team.

The Rams have a 15+ million dollar cap number in Bradford in 2015 so unless they plan to eat that and cut him they are going to have to make a choice. Davis is a RFA after this year and with the way he has played he's going to have some suitors. So if you think he could be the guy do you take a shot and offer him a sizable deal and force St. Louis to pass on him?

I remember arguing with you DraftBoy about Bradford after he was drafted.

I said Bradford would be average/mediocre at best.

You said he was going to be a Franchise QB.

Looks like I win that argument.

Goobylal
10-22-2014, 07:11 AM
I'd just assume stick with Orton and see what he can do with a full off-season and training camp, and some improvements to the O-line. The problem is it looks like his 2-year contract has an option for him to avoid next year, which means the Bills might have to pay a lot to retain/re-sign him. As for Davis, the Rams will most likely tender him at the first round level, and he'll want a huge salary as well.

OpIv37
10-22-2014, 07:28 AM
Davis wreaks of another Matt Cassell/Rob Johnson situation and RFA means compensation to the Rams to sign him. No thanks.

And unless Orton completely tanks the rest of the year, then Bradford is no better. He's just a more expensive option. He's younger than Orton so he'd buy us time but that's the only advantage/

Forward_Lateral
10-22-2014, 08:07 AM
If Bradford wasn't a china doll, maybe he'd be worth a look, but that's not the case, so no thanks.

Like OP said, if Orton continues to play like he has so far, the Bills won't be as desperate for a franchise QB. They won't have to jump on the first available guy like they did with Rob Johnson and Drew Bledsoe.

Hey, maybe this time watching will help EJ. I don't think (I could be wrong) that he was able to watch any games from the sidelines last year and interact with the coaches/starting QB at all. Again, I could be wrong.

better days
10-22-2014, 08:50 AM
I'd just assume stick with Orton and see what he can do with a full off-season and training camp, and some improvements to the O-line. The problem is it looks like his 2-year contract has an option for him to avoid next year, which means the Bills might have to pay a lot to retain/re-sign him. As for Davis, the Rams will most likely tender him at the first round level, and he'll want a huge salary as well.

My understanding is the Bills have the right to retain Orton next year for $10 Mill.

Of course Orton could decide to "retire" again next year.

better days
10-22-2014, 08:53 AM
If Bradford wasn't a china doll, maybe he'd be worth a look, but that's not the case, so no thanks.

Like OP said, if Orton continues to play like he has so far, the Bills won't be as desperate for a franchise QB. They won't have to jump on the first available guy like they did with Rob Johnson and Drew Bledsoe.

Hey, maybe this time watching will help EJ. I don't think (I could be wrong) that he was able to watch any games from the sidelines last year and interact with the coaches/starting QB at all. Again, I could be wrong.

Well, I think EJ watched games last year, but he was watching Thad & Tuel, not a seasoned vet like Orton.

kscdogbillsfan1221
10-22-2014, 09:11 AM
My understanding is the Bills have the right to retain Orton next year for $10 Mill.

Of course Orton could decide to "retire" again next year.

highly doubtful he'll 'retire' again, especially if he's starting, playing decently well and making 10 mil.

better days
10-22-2014, 09:58 AM
highly doubtful he'll 'retire' again, especially if he's starting, playing decently well and making 10 mil.

Agreed. I think we can expect to see Kyle behind Center next year.

Typ0
10-22-2014, 09:59 AM
I like the QB squad we have right now ... let EJ beat Orton out when he's ready ... GOOD DEAL! ... way better than his being given the job by default. I would bet Marrone's *****ing was about being told EJ was playing ... and the talk about how he made the decision to bench him had already been decided between them and/or Marone didn't really care what they said any more they could fire him or he was going to put Orton in there. None of that means Marrone doesn't think EJ can play thought it's more a readiness thing. I must be crazy I think we should stick with the QBs and coach Marrone.

Typ0
10-22-2014, 10:04 AM
Got up from the computer and came back to notice I wrote "I like the QB squad right now". WOW.

I would take a better more long-term solution but where is he? Certainly not Bradford.

BuffaloRedleg
10-22-2014, 10:11 AM
Am I the only one who thinks that Cutler may be on the outs in Chicago? Would he be worth it to you guys, and what do you think we'd have to give up?

casdhf
10-22-2014, 10:12 AM
Am I the only one who thinks that Cutler may be on the outs in Chicago? Would he be worth it to you guys, and what do you think we'd have to give up?
Hope for a future in the playoffs.

No Cutler.

better days
10-22-2014, 10:34 AM

The Bears new HC Marc Trestman is supposed to be an offensive genius/QB guru.

If he can't get everything out of Cutler that is in him, who can?

kscdogbillsfan1221
10-22-2014, 12:02 PM

exactly. and which analyst compared him to Jeff George? That was the most accurate thing i've ever heard

Forward_Lateral
10-23-2014, 06:39 AM
Well, I think EJ watched games last year, but he was watching Thad & Tuel, not a seasoned vet like Orton.

Very, very good point. Watching guys who don't know how to be an NFL QB is about as productive as getting piano lessons from a drummer.

DraftBoy
10-23-2014, 08:56 AM
I remember arguing with you DraftBoy about Bradford after he was drafted.

I said Bradford would be average/mediocre at best.

You said he was going to be a Franchise QB.

Looks like I win that argument.

Sure you change my argument from the potential to be one to saying he was definitely going to be it. Then yes you win by changing my point, congratulations on that.

trapezeus
10-23-2014, 11:07 AM

but he would be making $6MM with no more time on his contract. if he performs to playoff level, he will probably not take the option. why would he? To make $6MM as a starting QB with no guarantee of longevity means you have to sit out to get your last big payday.

The bills will have to pony up $ and years to keep him. if that's the case, they hopefully go short on years and big on money. he'll only have about 2-3 more years to bridge to a better longer term option.

trapezeus
10-23-2014, 11:08 AM

hackett will.

And people think i'm not funny.

better days
10-23-2014, 11:15 AM
Sure you change my argument from the potential to be one to saying he was definitely going to be it. Then yes you win by changing my point, congratulations on that.

Well the word likely was probably used. I can't remember the exact wording of the argument.

But you said Bradford would likely be a Franchise QB while I said he would likely be an average/mediocre QB at best.

DraftBoy
10-23-2014, 11:17 AM
Well the word likely was probably used. I can't remember the exact wording of the argument.

But you said Bradford would likely be a Franchise QB while I said he would likely be an average/mediocre QB at best.

Again I said he had the potential to be one. He had one of the best passing charts of any QB coming out in years. His accuracy was second to none. It's sad its never fully developed at this level.

better days
10-23-2014, 11:22 AM
Again I said he had the potential to be one. He had one of the best passing charts of any QB coming out in years. His accuracy was second to none. It's sad its never fully developed at this level.

He also did not have a strong arm & came into the NFL with a twice injured shoulder.

He also was/is a pocket passer at a time when the NFL is going to more mobile QB's.

Which is why I said he would be average to mediocre at best.

Mr. Miyagi
10-24-2014, 01:30 PM
Bradford is damaged goods. I'd take a shot with Davis though.

Then what do we do with EJ? Time to give up on him already? He can still develop can't he?

better days
10-24-2014, 02:04 PM
Bradford is damaged goods. I'd take a shot with Davis though.

Then what do we do with EJ? Time to give up on him already? He can still develop can't he?

There was an article in the Sarasota paper the other day about the Fla State QB asking if the Bucs should draft him.

The Bucs will most likely be in position to do so. So do they want to give up on Mike Glennon for a guy with immense talent that is a head case?

trapezeus
10-24-2014, 03:44 PM
his lean build was what made me nervous initially. and then his twice injured shoulder made me skeptical. now that we have as much data we have on him, you'd need a great line and hope he can perform in the winter. things i wouldn't want to gamble on with his price tag.

better days
10-24-2014, 04:39 PM
his lean build was what made me nervous initially. and then his twice injured shoulder made me skeptical. now that we have as much data we have on him, you'd need a great line and hope he can perform in the winter. things i wouldn't want to gamble on with his price tag.

It will be interesting to see which team gambles on Bradford & for how much.

If the Rams don't, I think that will speak volumes.

I think Bradford would make a very good back up QB, but I would not want him as the starting QB on my team.

Mr. Pink
10-24-2014, 04:48 PM
I doubt they'll let Davis go.

And Bradford is made of tissue paper let alone glass.

If we brought him in, it would be Kevin Kolb 2.0 and he'd get hurt and never play for the Bills again.