PDA

View Full Version : The Buffalo Bills Would Be 2-5 Without Kyle Orton, Only Kelly Surpasses Him

BillsImpossible
10-24-2014, 08:21 PM
If Kyle Orton started against the Houston Texans, the Bills would be 5-2.

If the Chicago Bears never parted ways with Kyle Orton, maybe the Bears beat the Colts in Super Bowl XLI?

After getting benched in Denver in favor of football Jesus, Orton rode the NFL veteran quarterback donkey all the way to Dallas in search of greener pastures to no avail. Kyle and Tony never got along.

At 31 years old, Kyle Orton is in his prime time as an NFL quarterback.

While Orton was bagging groceries for Jerry in Dallas, he never let go of the thought of what Kurt Warner did in his NFL career.

Like a good bourbon, good quarterbacks get better with age.

For 3 consecutive games, Kyle Orton has passed for more than 280 yards.

308 passing yards against Detroit.

299 passing yards against New England.

283 passing yards against Minnesota.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/player/gamelog/_/id/8520/kyle-orton

So when is the last time a Buffalo Bills quarterback did such a thing?

Ryan Fitzpatrick never did such a thing.

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/F/FitzRy00/gamelog/

Drew Bledsoe accomplished passing more than 280 yards in 3 consecutive games 1 time as a Buffalo Bill in the 2002 season.

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/B/BledDr00/gamelog/

So how many times did Jim Kelly pass for more than 280 yards in 3 consecutive games?

Twice.

Love me 2 times, baby. So I love Kyle Orton twice as much today.

Kelly passed for more than 280 yards in 3 consecutive games at the beginning of the 1987 season.

The next time Jim Kelly passed for more than 280 yards in 3 consecutive games was in 1992.

That's all folks.

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/K/KellJi00/gamelog/

Kyle Orton has passed for more than 280 yards in 3 consecutive games as the Buffalo Bills starting quarterback.

Jim Kelly only did that twice in his entire career.

HAMMER
10-24-2014, 09:36 PM
I see a lot of comments stating he is a stop gap, etc. My eyes tell me he is more than that. He sees the field very well, when he has a moment in the pocket. I have been pleasantly surprised.

coastal
10-24-2014, 09:39 PM
As are two good offensive guards and Kiko from you going deep in the playoffs.

justasportsfan
10-24-2014, 09:42 PM
Had Orton been here during camp, hed have so much more chemistry not only with his supporting cast but with Hackett as well. With an ol that can pass block he can still be better than what he's been in his first 3 games

kscdogbillsfan1221
10-24-2014, 09:51 PM
he's way better than EJ, but the problem is that he is good for at least one bad turnover a game.

better days
10-24-2014, 09:58 PM
If Kyle Orton started against the Houston Texans, the Bills would be 5-2.

If the Chicago Bears never parted ways with Kyle Orton, maybe the Bears beat the Colts in Super Bowl XLI?

After getting benched in Denver in favor of football Jesus, Orton rode the NFL veteran quarterback donkey all the way to Dallas in search of greener pastures to no avail. Kyle and Tony never got along.

At 31 years old, Kyle Orton is in his prime time as an NFL quarterback.

While Orton was bagging groceries for Jerry in Dallas, he never let go of the thought of what Kurt Warner did in his NFL career.

Like a good bourbon, good quarterbacks get better with age.

For 3 consecutive games, Kyle Orton has passed for more than 280 yards.

308 passing yards against Detroit.

299 passing yards against New England.

283 passing yards against Minnesota.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/player/gamelog/_/id/8520/kyle-orton

So when is the last time a Buffalo Bills quarterback did such a thing?

Ryan Fitzpatrick never did such a thing.

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/F/FitzRy00/gamelog/

Drew Bledsoe accomplished passing more than 280 yards in 3 consecutive games 1 time as a Buffalo Bill in the 2002 season.

So how many times did Jim Kelly pass for more than 280 yards in 3 consecutive games?

Twice.

Love me 2 times, baby. So I love Kyle Orton twice as much today.

Kelly passed for more than 280 yards in 3 consecutive games at the beginning of the 1987 season.

The next time Jim Kelly passed for more than 280 yards in 3 consecutive games was in 1992.

That's all folks.

Kyle Orton has passed for more than 280 yards in 3 consecutive games as the Buffalo Bills starting quarterback.

Jim Kelly only did that twice in his entire career.

STATS are pure BS, especially stats that compare todays NFL with yesterdays NFL.

Get a CLUE, the RULES have changed since Kelly played for those that have not noticed.

- - - Updated - - -

he's way better than EJ, but the problem is that he is good for at least one bad turnover a game.

As well as a dozen sacks.

swiper
10-25-2014, 04:38 AM
As are two good offensive guards and Kiko from you going deep in the playoffs.

Didn't the Bills leave the door open for Alonso to return before the end of the season?

pmoon6
10-25-2014, 04:41 AM
he's way better than EJ, but the problem is that he is good for at least one bad turnover a game.If I remember correctly, Jim Kelly wasn't immune to throwing picks, sometimes a few of them.

The Doc
10-25-2014, 08:22 AM
I agree with the OP. Orton is a very capable QB. We all know his limitations as a QB revolve around his lack of mobility. We need better production out of the guards. Orton has carried this team because of bad interior line play. We haven't been able to run the ball and we haven't been able to pass protect but Orton, being as good as he is, has led us to two very improbable wins. If the interior of the line starts playing better, PLAYOFFS.

GvilleBills
10-25-2014, 08:36 AM
How many have >280yds in 4 consecutive games?

better days
10-25-2014, 09:19 AM
If I remember correctly, Jim Kelly wasn't immune to throwing picks, sometimes a few of them.

The only time turnovers can't be overcome is when they happen at the end of the game.

Kelly was clutch at the end of games, Orton is as well.

Fitz, not so much.

Buffalogic
10-25-2014, 11:08 AM
If I remember correctly, Jim Kelly wasn't immune to throwing picks, sometimes a few of them.Correct. Every QB turns the ball over. Orton just holds it too long sometimes and takes a sack in a crucial situation. Then he completes a 4th and 20 haha. So he is what he is.

IlluminatusUIUC
10-25-2014, 12:46 PM
If I remember correctly, Jim Kelly wasn't immune to throwing picks, sometimes a few of them.

Kelly's INT rates were normal for his era. If he heaved up that many picks today he'd be run out of the league, and rightly so. Kelly's career INT rate is worse then Michael Vick, Jay Cutler, and Ryan Fitzpatrick. That's not to critique him, it's to point out that it's a different game today and he didn't get the benefit of many changes.

You can't compare Orton or Manuel by Kelly's stats to defend either man, they have to stand up against their contemporaries.

WagonCircler
10-25-2014, 12:57 PM
You can't compare Orton or Manuel by Kelly's stats to defend either man, they have to stand up against their contemporaries.

I don't think that was the point of the OP.

I think he's saying that Orton is the best we've had since Kelly, and that it's an impressive accomplishment to average 300 yds/game for 3 games.

BillsImpossible
10-25-2014, 03:05 PM
How many have >280yds in 4 consecutive games?

Bledsoe and Kelly each did this once in their careers.

In 2002, Drew Bledsoe passed for more than 280 yards in 4 consecutive games.

In 1987, Jim Kelly passed for more than 280 yards in 4 consecutive games.

To be fair, Kelly only missed the 280 yard mark by 5 yards in 1991.

In his first 5 games of the 1991 season, Kelly passed for 381, 363, 275, 322, and 303 yards.

If Kyle Orton has another very good game against the Jets, he will be entering Jim Kelly's passing territory.

YardRat
10-25-2014, 03:12 PM
I'd prefer 11-plus wins four seasons in a row. Statistics come and go with rule changes, wins and losses are forever.

BillsImpossible
10-25-2014, 03:37 PM
STATS are pure BS, especially stats that compare todays NFL with yesterdays NFL.

Get a CLUE, the RULES have changed since Kelly played for those that have not noticed.

What rules are you speaking of? The rule that changed this year? Are you talking about the defensive holding, 5 yard penalty automatic first down rule? Or are you talking about the roughing the passer rule?

The NFL has made it more difficult for defenses to defend the pass, no doubt about it. But the new rules haven't stopped teams like the Ravens, Steelers, and Giants from winning Super Bowls in recent years.

What's wrong with comparing the quarterbacks of today with the quarterbacks of the past?

Jim Kelly was in a pass happy K-Gun offense in the early 1990's. In a way, the Bills set the trend for what was to come.

In the Bills last Super Bowl, Kelly threw the ball 50 times.

By the way, Jim Kelly threw at least 3 interceptions or more in 20 career games including the playoffs.

Out of those 20 games, the Bills only won 5.

Are turnover stats irrelevant too in, 'todays NFL?'

ublinkwescore
10-25-2014, 04:00 PM
I think Orton is a poor man's Peyton Manning a la Drew Bledsoe - though I think Eric Moulds gave Bledsoe a slightly more consistent number 1 - but Sammy will probably be better than Moulds by a little bit - just a few rookie hiccups here and there.

- - - Updated - - -

I think Orton is a poor man's Peyton Manning a la Drew Bledsoe - though I think Eric Moulds gave Bledsoe a slightly more consistent number 1 - but Sammy will probably be better than Moulds by a little bit - just a few rookie hiccups here and there.

Woodman
10-25-2014, 08:06 PM
We have no idea what our record might be but my guess is it would be worse than it is now.

Stay healthy Kyle and please reduce a few of the errors.

Mace
10-25-2014, 10:03 PM
I'm not going to go overboard on Orton, he's Kyle Orton. That's not a bad thing, in fact it is indeed a good one for us with our situation.

I'd say he's got the best combination of head and arm we've had here since Bledsoe, but I'd say he's more a poor man's Bledsoe where Bledsoe was a poor man's Kelly. Bledsoe had a powerful arm, but less instinct and feel than Kelly had.

Orton has less arm than Bledsoe but maybe more touch (Bledsoe would rifle the ball), about the same instinct as Bledsoe (who also labored behind bad lines).

The thing you have to be dazzled about with Kelly, is that he called his own plays. His career stats are middlin' compared to some, but he commanded the field and directed a blitzkrieg offense from behind the center (ala Peyton), and he'd hit anyone stole one of his passes like a linebacker or try with vengeance, then come back next series aggravated and more determined to make them pay for it.

Orton, is an assertive, capable QB, I like that, we have not seen it in a decade. His passing to date to me has been glorious compared to what I have become used to. Oh his numbers make my knees week to date, he's a real QB.

But I'll pull up short on expecting too much out of him.

I admit though, I am wondering if he's not just what the doctor ordered in the right place at the right time. I'd die a happy man if Orton and Buffalo sparked some mutual magic and redemption together, it would be the perfect blue collar Buffalo ending and I can almost hear the NFL films recap in my head...

"And so it came down to Kyle Orton, the unwanted starter, stepping in..." (cue the film of him leading them up the tunnel, the crowd at the Ralph going wild).....a ferocious defense and one last drive....

I can dream.

DesertFox24
10-25-2014, 10:51 PM

Um I am sure packer fans never complained about Favre giving them up. Orton is not Favre but my point is if he is winning and playing solid at qb position I don't care if he makes a stupid throw. The 4th and 20 throw was impressive but that throw to hogan who was covered was impressive to me and that was when I said win or lose this game he could be our qb for a couple more years

IlluminatusUIUC
10-25-2014, 11:04 PM
Um I am sure packer fans never complained about Favre giving them up. Orton is not Favre but my point is if he is winning and playing solid at qb position I don't care if he makes a stupid throw. The 4th and 20 throw was impressive but that throw to hogan who was covered was impressive to me and that was when I said win or lose this game he could be our qb for a couple more years

Are you referring to the throw that set us up on the 1 yard line? That was one of Orton's worst throws, Hogan had to contort himself in front of the DB to stop a pick.

feldspar
10-26-2014, 03:27 AM
Are you referring to the throw that set us up on the 1 yard line? That was one of Orton's worst throws, Hogan had to contort himself in front of the DB to stop a pick.

Gimme a break. That was a "now or never" throw. Hogan wasn't poorly covered, so the back-shoulder throw was really the only option if it was ever to be a completion.

How do you even know how they practiced a thing like that? You don't.

It was a good pass and even a better catch.

BertSquirtgum
10-26-2014, 06:17 AM
Was the OP talking about Kelly Holcomb?

swiper
10-26-2014, 06:29 AM

C'mon. I expect better from you. Show me any one of those type throws (to the end zone at the end of the game) where the WR doesn't have to contort himself. The point is he got it close enough. EJ Manuel can't do that.

The simple fact is that Orton makes more good throws than bad throws. Something EJ Manuel will never do. It's enough to win some games. Even steal some games. So no Bills fan should be critical of him. Why? Here's why: EJ Manuel, Fitzpatrick, Trent Edwards, Kelly Holcomb, JP Losman, etc., etc., etc...

notacon
10-26-2014, 08:22 AM
What total nonsense. This type of supposition is absurd.

Orton sucks. He is one of the worst starting QB's in the league. He is slightly better than EJ was, which is understandable since Orton has 9 years of experience.

Hitching your wagon to Orton is stupid, stupid, stupid. I want him to play every game this year, and when the Bills end up with a 5-11 or 6-10 record, I can't wait to see the excuses that will be conjured up to defend Mr. Mediocrity.

Goobylal
10-26-2014, 09:50 AM
I can't say how good Orton is because a) he wasn't with the team all off- or even pre-season and thus didn't get all that time to digest the playbook, practice it, and develop chemistry with the players, b) the OL as a whole is playing poorly, c) the running game is spotty at best, d) the OC is a liability, and e) he's got inexperienced WRs. I'd like to see him have a full 2015 before I pass judgment, but I believe he can opt-out next year, meaning the Bills will have a decision to make on how much they are willing to pay him, since he'll probably be looking to make bank since he's getting up there in years.

Goobylal
10-26-2014, 10:11 AM
Let me add that a lot of the problems I mentioned above affecting Orton also affected EJ. And had the WRs done a better job of catching the ball and Hackett not called twice as many passing plays as running plays against the Texans, they would have won that game.

notacon
10-26-2014, 10:27 AM
I can't say how good Orton is because a) he wasn't with the team all off- or even pre-season and thus didn't get all that time to digest the playbook, practice it, and develop chemistry with the players, b) the OL as a whole is playing poorly, c) the running game is spotty at best, d) the OC is a liability, and e) he's got inexperienced WRs. I'd like to see him have a full 2015 before I pass judgment, but I believe he can opt-out next year, meaning the Bills will have a decision to make on how much they are willing to pay him, since he'll probably be looking to make bank since he's getting up there in years.

So...I see you want to get a head start of the Orton Excuse Train.

He's in his 10th year. We know EXACTLY what he is, despite the refusal to accept the truth in Bills fantasy zone.

There is a reason that no other team wants him as their starter except Buffalo. This in a league that is DESPERATE for starting QB's.

If your goal is .500 record or less, Orton is your guy. My goal is higher

YardRat
10-26-2014, 10:46 AM

Good article in the Buffalo News on Orton today...he enjoys politics, has been an active union rep (even here), and knows how to work the system to his advantage and isn't afraid to do it.

feldspar
10-26-2014, 10:50 AM

He's in his 10th year. We know EXACTLY what he is, despite the refusal to accept the truth in Bills fantasy zone.

There is a reason that no other team wants him as their starter except Buffalo. This in a league that is DESPERATE for starting QB's.

It's foolish to set goals about things that you have absolutely zero control over.

I think you're a little too down on Orton, though. I'm not saying it'll happen here, but QBs have seen success later in their careers after knocking around the league a bit. Rich Gannon comes to mind. It wasn't until his 12th season until he got to Oakland, his 4th team. It happens...all I'm saying.

Meathead
10-26-2014, 11:02 AM
already got a gotta be top five bills all time epic game winning drive under his belt. cant count on that happening very often but hes been generally much above expectations

BillsImpossible
10-26-2014, 11:07 AM
Good article in the Buffalo News on Orton today...he enjoys politics, has been an active union rep (even here), and knows how to work the system to his advantage and isn't afraid to do it.

Very good article, thanks for mentioning this. Nice read before the game.

http://www.buffalonews.com/sports/bills-nfl/kyle-orton-x2013-the-bills-quiet-warrior-20141025

pmoon6
10-26-2014, 02:57 PM
Yeah, if you like Orton more than Manuel, you are ipso facto, a racist.

We keepin' the black man down.

Same if you didn't vote for Obama.

WagonCircler
10-26-2014, 02:59 PM
I was really hoping he'd get his 300 today. But I'll settle for 4 TDs and no INTs, especially with the restrictions on Orton, given his brutal OC and two injured RBs.

Novacane
10-26-2014, 03:05 PM
Yeah, if you like Orton more than Manuel, you are ipso facto, a racist.

We keepin' the black man down.

Same if you didn't vote for Obama.

If you read the story in today's Buffalo News Orton is a big liberal so in this case it's ok.

swiper
10-26-2014, 03:06 PM
I was really hoping he'd get his 300 today. But I'll settle for 4 TDs and no INTs, especially with the restrictions on Orton, given his brutal OC and two injured RBs.

Rating was 142.

http://scores.espn.go.com/nfl/boxscore?gameId=400554298

swiper
10-26-2014, 03:09 PM
And Bills had ZERO turnovers.

feldspar
10-26-2014, 03:13 PM

If you want to look at the stats, Orton only attempted 17 passes.

He had 14 yards per attempt. That's worth mentioning, I'd say.

Like you say, 4 TDs and no INTs.

He played well.

DynaPaul
10-26-2014, 03:19 PM
I'm not complaining, the guy is making the throws when he actually gets time.

Goobylal
10-26-2014, 03:45 PM

The excuse train is still in the station.

pmoon6
10-26-2014, 03:53 PM
Orton gives us the best chance to win, period.

E.J. needs alot of work.

Typ0
10-26-2014, 04:04 PM
I like a lot of things about this team and Coach Marone but he's done some very perplexing things too. Manual never should have finished that game in Houston.