PDA

View Full Version : Fire Hackett NOW!!

Mr. Miyagi
10-26-2014, 01:56 PM
Run, run, sack.
Run, run, incomplete.

Can the play calling be anymore predictable?

The Jets have a terrible pass defense and a good run defense, yet we run run run.

Is Dick Jauron running this offense here?

FIRE HACKETT NOW.

coastal
10-26-2014, 01:57 PM
Yes

Mr. Miyagi
10-26-2014, 01:58 PM
JUst saw another thread just like this LOL. So at least I'm not crazy.

Novacane
10-26-2014, 01:59 PM
Preaching to the choir. Worst play calling ever

SpikedLemonade
10-26-2014, 02:04 PM
The Bills will be 5-3 going into their Bye Week.

All of Bills upper management consider this season a success.

No one is getting fired during the season.

AND if the Bills end up 9-7, no one will be fired in the off-season.

Our Defensive Co-ordinator will be gone because he will be offered a HC job somewhere.

imbondz
10-26-2014, 02:24 PM
People are going to see the score and think Hackett is a genius. Ugh

YardRat
10-26-2014, 03:11 PM
He frustrated the **** out of me today, just in case nobody noticed.

swiper
10-26-2014, 03:14 PM
He frustrated the **** out of me today, just in case nobody noticed.

ZERO turnovers today. Be frustrated.

Buffalogic
10-26-2014, 03:34 PM
He makes crucial mistakes with play calling in important situations.

We get the ball with 1:50 left before half and all three time outs and you run on first down? Talk about amateur. Instead of getting 7 or 3 or even 0 and preventing them to score, we go three and out and give up a field goal. That's a possible 10 point swing right before half because our o coordinator is a dummy.

Against a better team, **** like that may make us lose

DraftBoy
10-26-2014, 03:38 PM
My biggest issue with his coaching today was in his personnel groupings and decision to run consistently on 2nd and 10.

Thought Bryce should of seen more time on the field over Boobie.

casdhf
10-26-2014, 03:38 PM
ZERO turnovers today. Be frustrated.
How is that on Hackett?

Typ0
10-26-2014, 04:02 PM
The thing is folks ... the run game is where we are struggling. It's been that way all year. The minute you don't run though your whole offense is predictable. It's the running that keeps it from being predictable for one thing. But on another level...he's sending a message that they have to learn to run the ball in all situations. This week was like a bonus for the passing game. They all get another week to work together pretty huge for a guy who came onto the team so late at QB. If/when this team can figure out how to be a bigger threat on the ground they go from a talented team that can win some games to a team that is a threat to actually beat good teams. Hence, our step to being a good team right now is to run the ball. Do you want to take that step or continue to be the same Bills we have seen for almost 15 years? I could care less how exciting the team is I want to see them beat some good football teams. I could care less if they make the playoffs if they are not going to be prepared to win when they get there.

casdhf
10-26-2014, 04:07 PM
We are predictable. When we pass on 1st or 2nd we succeed.

Luisito23
10-26-2014, 04:14 PM
LOL @ "He's sending a message"...yeah, I'm sure that's it.

Typ0
10-26-2014, 04:21 PM
We are predictable. When we pass on 1st or 2nd we succeed.

Right. Why is that?

casdhf
10-26-2014, 04:42 PM
Right. Why is that?I get why. It shouldn't be twice a game though.

YardRat
10-26-2014, 05:05 PM
The thing is folks ... the run game is where we are struggling. It's been that way all year. The minute you don't run though your whole offense is predictable. It's the running that keeps it from being predictable for one thing. But on another level...he's sending a message that they have to learn to run the ball in all situations. This week was like a bonus for the passing game. They all get another week to work together pretty huge for a guy who came onto the team so late at QB. If/when this team can figure out how to be a bigger threat on the ground they go from a talented team that can win some games to a team that is a threat to actually beat good teams. Hence, our step to being a good team right now is to run the ball. Do you want to take that step or continue to be the same Bills we have seen for almost 15 years? I could care less how exciting the team is I want to see them beat some good football teams. I could care less if they make the playoffs if they are not going to be prepared to win when they get there.

Nobody is clamoring to abandon the running game...The issue isn't that generic...it's the type of plays, and how they are called. Just about every single time the team got a turnover, or possession on the Jets side of the field, it was run-run-pass. All between the tackles. It might have been EVERY time, except for the one play, one yard drive after AW's pick and return. They ARE predictable, and that's a problem. Of course you need to run the ball to set up the passing game, but two of the issues leading to lack of success for the run game is the failure to incorporate different types of run plays and mixing things up to use the pass to help set up the run also.

RedEyE
10-26-2014, 05:11 PM
It is incredibly over conservative. I still believe the depth for the offense has not been included in on the game planning. The running scheme was over simplified and there should be a 75% increase in quicker release plays.

CommissarSpartacus
10-26-2014, 05:24 PM
I was pulling my hair out with the play calling, especially the run game.

Virtually EVERY attempt was straight up the middle, with the only difference being the sets. Just straight up the gut. No sweeps, no counters, no reverses, no traps, no pitch outs.

Not only does the play calling suck but the running plays themselves suck.

WTF does Hackett have on Marone that makes him foist an obviously unqualified and untalented guy on the team like this.

This team is 5 - 3 in spite of Hackett and Marone.

Typ0
10-26-2014, 05:54 PM
That's because he's a fully qualified Buffalo Bills coach. We can't run up the middle...so he runs it up the middle. He must just be that stupid. I don't buy it.

Mace
10-26-2014, 05:59 PM
That's because he's a fully qualified Buffalo Bills coach. We can't run up the middle...so he runs it up the middle. He must just be that stupid. I don't buy it.

I still think he's that overwhelmed by his own playbook, the options and the speed of the game at this level without having gained the feel for going into a game with a methodical plan. Every play is a brand new game and hurry up and pick a play before the mic cuts off.

CommissarSpartacus
10-26-2014, 06:02 PM
Nobody can just run up the middle if the D knows it's the only thing you're gonna do.

It's like Hackett has never heard of the concept of misdirection.

Everyone runs to the ball like cra2y because they know they won't be fooled.

SpikedLemonade
10-26-2014, 06:06 PM
I thought for sure Hackett would be fired after last year.

No.

Marrone is loyal.

So I thought for sure after this year.

If the Bills end up 8-8 or better, Hackett will be back.

It is THE reason why I don't think we will not make the play-offs soon.

jamze132
10-26-2014, 06:09 PM
This guy has to go. He's not seeing what defenses are doing in order to make his adjustments. It's way too vanilla; it's like he's stuck in preseason. What a joke.

Figster
10-26-2014, 06:16 PM
OP needs to take into consideration the breakout games we've seen recently from rookie WR Sammy Watkins, or the 4 TD game from Kyle Orton, 1st time ever by the way,(should have been 5) or how many times Orton may have changed the plays because the opposing D dictated it.

Kyle Ortons not a very mobile QB, we had inexperienced with the 1st team RB's who struggle with blitz pick ups. A heavy dose of running helps keep the Defense honest and Orton healthy.

D Marrone has a big Tuna mindset, we have a Championship caliber D IMO that a ground and pound run game would work well with, has it materialized yet, no

Should we stop trying to run the football? hell no, not IMO

and at 5-3 we sure shouldn't be talking about firing coaches right now...

BertSquirtgum
10-26-2014, 06:29 PM
Been saying this since last year. He is the number one reason this offense looks so gross.

- - - Updated - - -

OP needs to take into consideration the breakout games we've seen recently from rookie WR Sammy Watkins, or the 4 TD game from Kyle Orton, 1st time ever by the way,(should have been 5) or how many times Orton may have changed the plays because the opposing D dictated it.

Kyle Ortons not a very mobile QB, we had inexperienced with the 1st team RB's who struggle with blitz pick ups. A heavy dose of running helps keep the Defense honest and Orton healthy.

D Marrone has a big Tuna mindset, we have a Championship caliber D IMO that a ground and pound run game would work well with, has it materialized yet, no

Should we stop trying to run the football? hell no, not IMO

and at 5-3 we sure shouldn't be talking about firing coaches right now...

Yes, we should. Hackett is embarrassingly bad.

Figster
10-26-2014, 06:41 PM
Been saying this since last year. He is the number one reason this offense looks so gross.

- - - Updated - - -

Yes, we should. Hackett is embarrassingly bad.

well you better get used to him...

BOBM253
10-27-2014, 10:06 AM
I think it's ok to be conservative and run the ball frequently at times but what is maddening is running the same GD play everytime with the samr GD result. Hackett looks like an idiot and I was embarrassed with the repetitive play calling. Fine, if you must keep running, please vary the play call. As others have stated, run some sweeps, pitchouts, reverses or anything including a QB sneak. To me, it feels like we're kneeling down on 1st and 2nd down and leaving a lot of yardage on the field and putting us in a 3rd down hole. MIX IT UP SOME HACKETT, PLEASE BEFORE I LOSE MY MIND.

DraftBoy
10-27-2014, 10:13 AM
I think it's ok to be conservative and run the ball frequently at times but what is maddening is running the same GD play everytime with the samr GD result. Hackett looks like an idiot and I was embarrassed with the repetitive play calling. Fine, if you must keep running, please vary the play call. As others have stated, run some sweeps, pitchouts, reverses or anything including a QB sneak. To me, it feels like we're kneeling down on 1st and 2nd down and leaving a lot of yardage on the field and putting us in a 3rd down hole. MIX IT UP SOME HACKETT, PLEASE BEFORE I LOSE MY MIND.

It's not the same play every time, and just because you see it as a run up the middle doesn't mean its the same play. We ran a number of A and B gap runs yesterday that went nowhere because our OL blows. They also used draws, reads, and straight hand offs from multiple formations. I didn't see many, if any, toss sweeps, or interior traps but again the OL blows so I can't blame them there.

I understand that some of the nuances that go into a game plan are hard to see live, but can we please just try and elevate the discussion above "all he does is call runs up the middle"?

BOBM253
10-27-2014, 10:41 AM
Fine, I'll just clog up the line from guard to guard and stop you with a wall of humanity. You just keep on hitting the same area time after time.

CommissarSpartacus
10-27-2014, 02:34 PM
It's not the same play every time, and just because you see it as a run up the middle doesn't mean its the same play. We ran a number of A and B gap runs yesterday that went nowhere because our OL blows. They also used draws, reads, and straight hand offs from multiple formations. I didn't see many, if any, toss sweeps, or interior traps but again the OL blows so I can't blame them there.

I understand that some of the nuances that go into a game plan are hard to see live, but can we please just try and elevate the discussion above "all he does is call runs up the middle"?

Huh? They aren't the same play because sometime they run between the center and the left guard and sometime they run between the center and the right guard? And then for variety, they run up the center's back? That's three diffrent plays right there! Now, if we run them from under center AND from the shotgun, that's SIX different plays!

Isn't that enough? Can they even remember any more?

BertSquirtgum
10-27-2014, 04:30 PM
well you better get used to him...

You better get used to me complaining about him every week for the rest of the year. Unless by some miracle he pulls his head from his ass and becomes an offensive genius then turns this offense into a juggernaut.

DraftBoy
10-27-2014, 05:29 PM
Huh? They aren't the same play because sometime they run between the center and the left guard and sometime they run between the center and the right guard? And then for variety, they run up the center's back? That's three diffrent plays right there! Now, if we run them from under center AND from the shotgun, that's SIX different plays!

I know it can be quite complicated, especially when you add in blocking assignments and pre-snap adjustments to see what the defense does to adjust to your adjustment.

- - - Updated - - -

You better get used to me complaining about him every week for the rest of the year. Unless by some miracle he pulls his head from his ass and becomes an offensive genius then turns this offense into a juggernaut.

We don't have the talent to be a juggernaut right now. You're setting unrealistic expectations because you want him to fail because you've determined he sucks in your mind.

swiper
10-27-2014, 06:00 PM
How is that on Hackett?

LOL.

swiper
10-27-2014, 06:04 PM

ROFL. Draftboy put right in his place again. It happens regularly. Too regularly for a guy who thinks he's an expert.

BertSquirtgum
10-27-2014, 06:30 PM
I know it can be quite complicated, especially when you add in blocking assignments and pre-snap adjustments to see what the defense does to adjust to your adjustment.

- - - Updated - - -

We don't have the talent to be a juggernaut right now. You're setting unrealistic expectations because you want him to fail because you've determined he sucks in your mind.

Bull****. They have the talent to be ranked in the top ten. If only the coordinator could draw up some plays to help each and every player on the offense. Too bad he's an idiot.

cookie G
10-27-2014, 06:32 PM

I have no doubt that Hackett would give you the same patronizing attitude as Draftboy, and probably argue the same thing. It wouldn't surprise me if he made the same exact arguments in coaches meetings.."its NOT the same thing...one play goes to the A gap and one goes to the B gap"...

I believe the technical terms are:

"too much whiteboard, not enough field data";
"book smart, practical illiteracy";

or (for you)

JP Losman Disorder (so caught up in paper memorization that basic concepts become forgotten).

Depending on the size of the lineman splits, you are talking about an area of roughly 6-10 feet...double it when you consider both sides of the line.

When you run in this small area, say,28 out of 32 times in a game..(I doubt I'm far off in that estimate), running 6 feet one way or the other too much...as you pointed out. It doesn't make a difference if the hand off is delayed as second, as in a draw. "Nuances" don't mean a pile of turd when the D knows exactly what you're doing.

And when you run primarily on 1st and 2nd down, and run to the same area, the area the defense has to defend has shrunk from 53 yards to 20 feet. Talking aobut making their life easier.

There are 3 OL to block this area, (2 of which are our worst linemen), and there will probably be 4 defenders, since the D knows what you're going to do. You're already outnumbered...and chances are the DE's or OLBs are going to be cheating in off the snap.

The Bill Belichicks and Rex Ryans don't really need help in designing their defense and you don't need to be making their job any easier by telegraphing your plays (to put it mildly).

But then, I don't know why I'm explaining this to you, you already know it. Someone seriously needs to explain this to Hackett.

And DB.

jimmifli
10-27-2014, 06:55 PM
It's still weird to me that we ran lots of nifty **** during the preseason. And it was close to working.

At this point I'm willing to concede that Hackett is just stubborn and wants to prove us all wrong by running up the gut until it works.

And DB.
I laughed.
<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube-nocookie.com/embed/1sowq_HBF3E" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

stuckincincy
10-27-2014, 07:09 PM
I have no doubt that Hackett would give you the same patronizing attitude as Draftboy, and probably argue the same thing. It wouldn't surprise me if he made the same exact arguments in coaches meetings.."its NOT the same thing...one play goes to the A gap and one goes to the B gap"...

I believe the technical terms are:

"too much whiteboard, not enough field data";
"book smart, practical illiteracy";

or (for you)

JP Losman Disorder (so caught up in paper memorization that basic concepts become forgotten).

Depending on the size of the lineman splits, you are talking about an area of roughly 6-10 feet...double it when you consider both sides of the line.

When you run in this small area, say,28 out of 32 times in a game..(I doubt I'm far off in that estimate), running 6 feet one way or the other too much...as you pointed out. It doesn't make a difference if the hand off is delayed as second, as in a draw. "Nuances" don't mean a pile of turd when the D knows exactly what you're doing.

And when you run primarily on 1st and 2nd down, and run to the same area, the area the defense has to defend has shrunk from 53 yards to 20 feet. Talking aobut making their life easier.

There are 3 OL to block this area, (2 of which are our worst linemen), and there will probably be 4 defenders, since the D knows what you're going to do. You're already outnumbered...and chances are the DE's or OLBs are going to be cheating in off the snap.

The Bill Belichicks and Rex Ryans don't really need help in designing their defense and you don't need to be making their job any easier by telegraphing your plays (to put it mildly).

But then, I don't know why I'm explaining this to you, you already know it. Someone seriously needs to explain this to Hackett.

And DB.

Have you ever considered ghost writing for a political candidate, or penning those small-print product disclaimers we see on tv? "...double it when you consider both sides of the line...".

When you are the recipient of six turnovers, and have an average starting position on your own 49, you needn't have to be especially imaginative in your line blocking and run schemes. That 2.1 average ypc is more indicative of 2nd tier backs being called into starting duty, and just not knowing the ropes. 4 sacks in 17 pass attempts stands out.

Mr. Miyagi
10-27-2014, 07:14 PM

ROFL!!! :bf1:

cookie G
10-27-2014, 07:27 PM
Have you ever considered ghost writing for a political candidate, or penning those small-print product disclaimers we see on tv? "...double it when you consider both sides of the line...".

When you are the recipient of six turnovers, and have an average starting position on your own 49, you needn't have to be especially imaginative in your line blocking and run schemes. That 2.1 average ypc is more indicative of 2nd tier backs being called into starting duty, and just not knowing the ropes. 4 sacks in 17 pass attempts stands out.

Have you considered that the running game plan had nothing to do with the 6 turnovers involved?

Have you considered that the "run it up the middle on every running play has been a season long SOP?

Have you considered that just a few weeks ago, Marrone said they were going to put extra time into getting the running game going ...and they came back with more of the same...with worse results?

Have you considered that per Footballoutsiders.com, the Bills rank 28th in the league in running between the guards?

Have you considered that after the Chicago game, the Bills running game hasn't done ****, even when they had their "2 headed monsters"?

Have you considered that the few long runs by Spiller, when he broke ranks and took it outside, have kept this rushing attack from a bottom 5 ranking? (they are currently 21st, I think).

This running up the middle on 85% to 90% of the time hasn't worked, doesn't work and won't work.

cookie G
10-27-2014, 07:36 PM
It's still weird to me that we ran lots of nifty **** during the preseason. And it was close to working.

At this point I'm willing to concede that Hackett is just stubborn and wants to prove us all wrong by running up the gut until it works.

I laughed.
<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube-nocookie.com/embed/1sowq_HBF3E" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Yeah well...I couldn't resist...but the "you don't understand" argument has no place in this discussion. Its like trying to defend Burnside's frontal assaults in Fredericksburg (Civil War Reference)...

stuckincincy
10-27-2014, 08:09 PM
Have you considered that the running game plan had nothing to do with the 6 turnovers involved?

Have you considered that the "run it up the middle on every running play has been a season long SOP?

Have you considered that just a few weeks ago, Marrone said they were going to put extra time into getting the running game going ...and they came back with more of the same...with worse results?

Have you considered that per Footballoutsiders.com, the Bills rank 28th in the league in running between the guards?

Have you considered that after the Chicago game, the Bills running game hasn't done ****, even when they had their "2 headed monsters"?

Have you considered that the few long runs by Spiller, when he broke ranks and took it outside, have kept this rushing attack from a bottom 5 ranking? (they are currently 21st, I think).

This running up the middle on 85% to 90% of the time hasn't worked, doesn't work and won't work.

Have you considered that in a league that now beatifies the pass, when you have backs that are not especially in sync with the starters, that the best option when you opt to run is to keep it between the tackles and hope for the best? They had astoundingly good field position - constantly, thanks to a combination of NJY ineptitude and nice BUFindividual defender play. BUF was 3 and 12 on 3rd down conversions, only mustered 12 first downs. You don't normally win with that.

Frankly, I can see the return of fullbacks who are essentially guards, like ex-players Lorenzo Neal or John Connor. There were thoughts that the run option would wither when qbs got knocked out, but touching one is like yanking a kid from being hit by a car...you save that kids' life these days and you are likely to be charged as a pedophile.

Living under protected status as they do, I look for my qb to get me the 3rd and shorts.

tampabay25690
10-28-2014, 06:29 AM
I think Im the only one on the site that is fine with Hackett...
We are 5-3 I think most forget that..

Should be 6-2 but Im not the type that looks in the past. We let a game go vs Houston.

I think the extra week with Kyle, the OL, and the RB's will help. Some of the plays he dialed up were great. I watched the game again and Orton holds on to the ball way to long. I think he will fix that. Overall we ran to much vs a very STOUT Jets defense. Funny thing is teams that play the Bills are still running the ball run after run and we have a top 10 run defense as well...
You cant pass every down or defenses will just TEE off on the WR'S......
Im sorry but no NEED for Hackett to get fired.
Sorry I guess Im always positive and not the negative type.

Topas
10-28-2014, 06:44 AM
...Should be 6-2 but Im not the type that looks in the past. We let a game go vs Houston. ...

I think that reasoning is funny. Especially considering that we were EXTREMELY lucky to win vs Chicago and Detroit. You might very well argue that we are a 3-5 team.

tampabay25690
10-28-2014, 06:48 AM
I think that reasoning is funny. Especially considering that we were EXTREMELY lucky to win vs Chicago and Detroit. You might very well argue that we are a 3-5 team.

No such thing as lucky in the NFL....Win is a Win...
You cant tell me that Hackett was to blame for the wins then was he?\We had a great game plan vs Chicago. Detroit hard to say that was Orton's 1st game in a while....
I think its so pre mature that people want to always fire a guy right away because the OFFENSE isn't perfect....LOL
We are putting points up and starting a Vet QB that is a premium backup. Overall I think we are doing a great job.
I hope that EJ can develop watching these games from the sidelines. I think priority of this team after the season is getting the Interior OL set and finding another QB....
Just putting a positive twist instead of negative nancy like most!!!

Mr. Miyagi
10-28-2014, 07:39 AM
While we're at it, if it weren't for last minute heroics against Minnesota, we could've just as easily been 2-6.

Figster
10-28-2014, 08:56 AM
I've seen the word calculated as the formula for success the Bills have been using as of late by some of the more football savvy Bills fans and its a good description IMO.

Half way through the season and the Bills Defense leads the league in sacks (28) and takeaways (18) along with being the best run stopping unit in the NFL.

These stats combined with a good QB on the Offense, but who's biggest downside is he lacks mobility, begs run the football. Get your Offense into 3rd and short situations and allow Kyle Orton to pick his spots throwing downfield. Ortons proved he can sling the football and win games at crunch time. Flipping the football field with good D, and Running the football keeps Kyle Orton healthy.

This conservative approach to sucess is coming from the top IMO, and If the Bills freight train of a D continues with the pace its on I would expect more of the same as the Bills try to reach the playoffs for the 1st time in over a decade.

"Calculated"

Playoffs Baby!!! We can do this!!!!

better days
10-28-2014, 09:07 AM
I think Im the only one on the site that is fine with Hackett...
We are 5-3 I think most forget that..

Should be 6-2 but Im not the type that looks in the past. We let a game go vs Houston.

I think the extra week with Kyle, the OL, and the RB's will help. Some of the plays he dialed up were great. I watched the game again and Orton holds on to the ball way to long. I think he will fix that. Overall we ran to much vs a very STOUT Jets defense. Funny thing is teams that play the Bills are still running the ball run after run and we have a top 10 run defense as well...
You cant pass every down or defenses will just TEE off on the WR'S......
Im sorry but no NEED for Hackett to get fired.
Sorry I guess Im always positive and not the negative type.

Well, I have been saying Orton holds the ball too long & that is a big reason he gets sacked so much.

But I will take the sacks that come with Orton because the team is winning because of his overall play.

IMO, the Bills are winning in spite of Hackett, not because of him. He needs to go ASAP.

jimmifli
10-28-2014, 04:20 PM
Its like trying to defend Burnside's frontal assaults in Fredericksburg (Civil War Reference)...
I'll Grant you that is a decent reference, but I don't General Lee find the civil war interesting.

YardRat
10-28-2014, 04:48 PM
Have you considered that in a league that now beatifies the pass, when you have backs that are not especially in sync with the starters, that the best option when you opt to run is to keep it between the tackles and hope for the best? They had astoundingly good field position - constantly, thanks to a combination of NJY ineptitude and nice BUFindividual defender play.

And they pretty much pissed away that field position with their consistent running between the tackles on first and second down. Two three-and out punts. A gimme TD from the one that was not so astonishingly a pass. A 53-yard field goal (no gimme, mind you) that could've been a three and a miss.

BUF was 3 and 12 on 3rd down conversions, only mustered 12 first downs. You don't normally win with that.

Yeah that's what usually happens when 1st and 10 becomes 2nd and 8 which becomes 3rd and 7 and you consistently are putting the offense in third and long.