PDA

View Full Version : Week 8: Balls vs. Goats

swiper
10-26-2014, 03:16 PM
Before you all start hammering on Bradham and Hackett:

Bradham lead team in tackles: http://scores.espn.go.com/nfl/boxscore?gameId=400554298

And there were ZERO turnovers.

swiper
10-26-2014, 03:17 PM
Balls:

Preston Brown
Sammy Watkins
Robert Woods
Aaron Williams
Gilmore
Orton

Goats:

kickers/punter
Hackett
o-line
o-line

Bunion
10-26-2014, 03:19 PM
Ball: Sammy, KW, Boobie Dixon for getting pounded on by the Jet's Dline for no stats just so we could burn clock, 2nd String D-Linemen for making plays all day.

Goats: Hackett, Showboating Sammy.

Novacane
10-26-2014, 03:20 PM
Balls. Everyone on defense
Orton
Sammy would of gotten one if not for the showboating should of been TD. I hope he learned his lesson

Goats. Run blocking.
Hackett. Put the game away wimp

ServoBillieves
10-26-2014, 03:20 PM
Balls:
Preston Brown
Kyle Orton
Geno Smith/Michael Vick
Defensive Line

Goats:
Hackett
Offensive Line
Bryce Brown: I've never seen a RB dive right in to blocking players backs like he did numerous times today.

Historian
10-26-2014, 03:24 PM
Balls:

McKelvin...Toast no more.
Gilmore
Orton

Goats:

Watkins
Carpenter
Rex's Wife's hairy p****!

YardRat
10-26-2014, 03:28 PM
Too many balls to mention specific players, but the defense played really well today to a man.

Goats--Hackett, and I've got to give one to Sammy for the show-boating...so unlike his character, and a little disappointing. Hopefully it's a hard lesson learned and he'll never do it again.

YardRat
10-26-2014, 03:29 PM
Balls:

McKelvin...Toast no more.
Gilmore
Orton

Goats:

Watkins
Carpenter
Rex's Wife's hairy p****!

Why is 'pinky toe' filtered?

TacklingDummy
10-26-2014, 03:29 PM
Goats.

Watkins

Scumbag College
10-26-2014, 03:39 PM
Balls:

The defense had too many guys to mention, but I really give credit to Schwartz. Vick killed the Bills with the scramble in the second quarter. That was the only thing keeping the Jest in the game at the half.The D pretty much pitched a no hitter in the second half aside from the garbage time TD. I think Vick had one scramble for a first down in the second half.

Watkins- the guy is the most exciting player to play on the Bills in my lifetime. I could care less about the showboating and getting tackeld at the 5...it didn't hurt the Bills and I'd bet money that he never does anything like that again.

Special Teams coverage- solid without Easley again.

Goats-

OL- they are beyond bad and really are the weak link now on this team.

Brown and Boobie- maybe it is a reflection on the OL, but I think the longest run the Bills had today was seven yards. That sucks.

DraftBoy
10-26-2014, 03:41 PM
Balls:
Kyle Orton
Lee Smith
Preston Brown
Stephon Gilmore

Goats:
Nigel Bradham
Eric Wood
Erik Pears
Kraig Urbik

YardRat
10-26-2014, 03:43 PM
Yeah, Wood got lit up a few times again today, but I'm backing off calling him out for a little bit...don't want anybody to think he's approaching Levitre-Byrd status.

imbondz
10-26-2014, 03:48 PM
-Watkins last TD catch was a thing of beauty, did this quick move that got him past the 2 initial defenders. He made up for the first mistake, and would have had more if we had a good OC

-Orton went 10-17 with 230 something yards. that's over a 23 yard average per completion. He would have had another 300 yd game if it wasn't for Hackett's mind numbing play calling

trapezeus
10-26-2014, 03:49 PM
balls:
defense for getting stronger as the game wore on even when they were abandoned on the field

goats:
fletch/very wide right
hackett's offense from line play to play selection. it is not beyond the point of help. it needs a full on new set of hands running the offense.

DraftBoy
10-26-2014, 03:50 PM
Yeah, Wood got lit up a few times again today, but I'm backing off calling him out for a little bit...don't want anybody to think he's approaching Levitre-Byrd status.

In all honesty to me the Hackett hate is on Brandon like levels. The guy didn't call that bad of a game outside of a few instances when he got overly conservative. He was clearly determined to establish the run early which led to some frustration but that OL is so bad right now that no matter what he calls in the running game its going to look bad.

In the end he loosened up on the run game tactic and put some faith in Orton who delivered. Would we all have liked to see this game 28-0 at the end of the 1st? Absolutely but I'm not sure that is solely a Hackett problem right now.

Fixxxer
10-26-2014, 04:04 PM
Balls

Orton
Sammy
Preston Brown
Dareus
2nd half adjustments against Vick. (Mario and Lawson)

Goats

conservative approach by Hackett against a bad secondary
Bradham overpusuing Vick in the second half (settled down afterwards)

YardRat
10-26-2014, 05:25 PM
In all honesty to me the Hackett hate is on Brandon like levels. The guy didn't call that bad of a game outside of a few instances when he got overly conservative. He was clearly determined to establish the run early which led to some frustration but that OL is so bad right now that no matter what he calls in the running game its going to look bad.

In the end he loosened up on the run game tactic and put some faith in Orton who delivered. Would we all have liked to see this game 28-0 at the end of the 1st? Absolutely but I'm not sure that is solely a Hackett problem right now.

IMO he called a horrible game, maybe the worst of the season. Almost every single time the team started a drive in NYJ territory the first and second down plays were between the tackle runs. He does a nice job with the pass, and has some nicely designed plays (receivers are usually open) and situation-specific (inside the five) that usually result in a score, but it's pretty obvious he struggles mightily with run play design (lack of variety, and usually into the teeth of a sea of defenders, regardless of formation), and how to mix things up to keep the defense off-balance (not just predictability in the run-run-pass mode, but also running out of passing formations and vice-versa). I seriously doubt he even considers the run game can be utilized to attack a defense, and just throws in generic **** to display a feeble attempt to 'establish the run' and 'keep the defense honest', just because. The passing game can be impressive now with the talent we have at the skill positions, if Orton is given the time by the oline, but the running game is pathetic and only about a third of that is on the players.

Crisis
10-26-2014, 05:37 PM
I actually might lose in fantasy because of Sammy's showboating.

yordad
10-26-2014, 06:28 PM
I might lose because I started Bryce brown. :-(

Crisis
10-26-2014, 06:34 PM
Shoutout to TJ Graham for still being the most useless football player on the planet.

Novacane
10-26-2014, 06:40 PM

I started him too lol. What a bust. Ben R bailed me out

- - - Updated - - -

Shoutout to TJ Graham for still being the most useless football player on the planet.

You didn't like the TJ humping the endzone play?

Albany,n.y.
10-26-2014, 07:08 PM

I thought Brown had better weeks when he was inactive. I don't know or care what his stat sheet looks like, but on the field he looked like crap. Now we all know why he was inactive every week until now. I can't see him on next year's team, so if he's Spiller's replacement under Whaley's master plan, DW better rethink things if he's here next year.

DraftBoy
10-26-2014, 07:54 PM
IMO he called a horrible game, maybe the worst of the season. Almost every single time the team started a drive in NYJ territory the first and second down plays were between the tackle runs. He does a nice job with the pass, and has some nicely designed plays (receivers are usually open) and situation-specific (inside the five) that usually result in a score, but it's pretty obvious he struggles mightily with run play design (lack of variety, and usually into the teeth of a sea of defenders, regardless of formation), and how to mix things up to keep the defense off-balance (not just predictability in the run-run-pass mode, but also running out of passing formations and vice-versa). I seriously doubt he even considers the run game can be utilized to attack a defense, and just throws in generic **** to display a feeble attempt to 'establish the run' and 'keep the defense honest', just because. The passing game can be impressive now with the talent we have at the skill positions, if Orton is given the time by the oline, but the running game is pathetic and only about a third of that is on the players.

We are a pass heavy team, its not shock he was going to try and do more to establish the run. The issue with the running game are OL centered not play call centered.

mysticsoto
10-27-2014, 07:47 AM
We are a pass heavy team, its not shock he was going to try and do more to establish the run. The issue with the running game are OL centered not play call centered.

I completely agree with this! Hackett called a conservative game. I understand people may want more scores and flashier passing...fact of the matter is, he continually establishes that we WILL run - forcing teams to have to address it. Because they do this, Orton has an easier time when a pass gets called his way. Look at the TD by...Lee Smith (I think?). They totally bit on us running and the fake 1 yd pass for Orton was SO simple b'cse of it.

Teams HAVE to respect that we're going to try and run and have to commit to stopping it. The Jets have a great Dline so I'm cutting them a little slack in the run game this wk, but overall, it is the Oline that needs to step up! EJ being the weak link of the team has now switched to the Oline being the weak link of the team. And I'm starting to feel it's more the coaching of the Oline than the players themselves...but that's an ongoing evaluation.

stuckincincy
10-27-2014, 09:47 AM
Balls:

Kyle Orton
Watkins and Woods - targeted 9 times, caught 6 for 207 yards and two tds.
Field position - BUF's average drive starts were from the BUF 49 yard line. NYJ's were from their own 19. Amazing numbers...
The defense - six (!) turnovers.
PK Carpenter - 3 for 3, with a 53 yarder.
The NYJ coaching staff - what with their X-Rated pass game, they had enough sense to run 33 times.

Goats:

Run defense - NYJ was 33-175, 5.3 ypc ,long gain of 24 yds., 3 tds.
Run offense - BUF was 33-67, 2,1 ypc, long gain of 7 yds., 1 td. Although I see the sense of it - the new rules, and NYJ's deconstructed defensive backfield. So, pass pass pass.
Percy Harvin - targeted 9 times, caught 3. What a dumb trade...
Geno Smith - putrid, and Michael Vick - putrid, jr.
Penalties - 10 -93. Not good, although I feel that with the current NFL-mandated flag frenzy, an officiating crew ought to be declared league MVP. :box:

casdhf
10-27-2014, 09:53 AM
Ivory only had 43 yards. I would call that a win.

Generalissimus Gibby
10-29-2014, 02:04 PM
Balls:
Sammy Watkins
McKelvin
Orton
Schmidt
Fatman aka Billy Butler, we're gonna miss him next year.

Goats:
The spirit of Stevie Johnson, Mr. Watkins, you will be great in this league, hell you are already are, but please NEVER showboat again until you are in the endzone
The San Fransisco Giants, I hate game seven
The Royals Defense after the fifth inning in game four. The Royals should have been crowned last night, but because you just assumed you had it won we are still playing for the World Series.

swiper
10-29-2014, 03:43 PM

Just stop. You sound stupid.

stuckincincy
10-29-2014, 07:44 PM
Just stop. You sound stupid.
Why is that stupid? The prevailing NFL rules favor the pass game, big time.

YardRat
10-29-2014, 07:53 PM

Running essentially the same play, under the same circumstances, consistently is not establishing the run. Yes, there are issues on the oline both with talent level and scheme, but part of the problem most certainly is play calling...and design.

YardRat
10-29-2014, 08:01 PM
I completely agree with this! Hackett called a conservative game. I understand people may want more scores and flashier passing...fact of the matter is, he continually establishes that we WILL run - forcing teams to have to address it. Because they do this, Orton has an easier time when a pass gets called his way. Look at the TD by...Lee Smith (I think?). They totally bit on us running and the fake 1 yd pass for Orton was SO simple b'cse of it.

Teams HAVE to respect that we're going to try and run and have to commit to stopping it. The Jets have a great Dline so I'm cutting them a little slack in the run game this wk, but overall, it is the Oline that needs to step up! EJ being the weak link of the team has now switched to the Oline being the weak link of the team. And I'm starting to feel it's more the coaching of the Oline than the players themselves...but that's an ongoing evaluation.

I don't think the vast majority of people criticizing Hackett for the run game are looking for 'more scores and flashier passing', just a little bit of expectation that the run game isn't going to be employed in such a repetitive and predictable manner, in play design play selection, and situation. Teams don't have to open up much to protect the run when they consistently stuff it on first and second down and play third and long. Which, btw, didn't exactly lead to an 'easier' time for Orton in the passing game otherwise we would have had more than 12 first downs and a better than 3 for 12 third down percentage.

Granted, the goal line play was well designed and a good call, I said as much myself and have also stated that Hackett does some nice work with the pass. But, he blows with the run.