PDA

View Full Version : A FootBall Team With A Quarterback Problem XIII

Typ0
10-26-2014, 04:08 PM
The defense was remarkably dominant today. The QB position threw 10-17 238 yards and 4 tds. Seriously 40% of his completions were TDs. He's got an amazing target in Watkins. I don't know what will happen to Manual but we need a better backup QB.

Novacane
10-26-2014, 04:31 PM
The only QB problem we had today was not using him enough.

IlluminatusUIUC
10-26-2014, 04:40 PM
He avoided the turnover but he still has the habit of taking the dumbass sack. Otherwise a great perfomance on a day where he didn't need to do much.

YardRat
10-26-2014, 04:58 PM
How did we get to thirteen already?

Typ0
10-26-2014, 05:45 PM
How did we get to thirteen already?

Because the thread was started in the pre season.

- - - Updated - - -

He avoided the turnover but he still has the habit of taking the dumbass sack. Otherwise a great perfomance on a day where he didn't need to do much.

at least he didn't fumble when he was getting sacked today. That is a step in the right direction.

Really ... he's looking pretty good out there. Not perfect but the best QB play we've seen in a long time.

Mace
10-26-2014, 05:54 PM

Lot of them are on the o-line that I'm seeing. He's a statue, needs plant at his drop to go through reads for at least a breath or two.

CommissarSpartacus
10-26-2014, 06:05 PM
Really ... he's looking pretty good out there. Not perfect but the best QB play we've seen in a long time.

Not since Kelly Holcomb.

IlluminatusUIUC
10-26-2014, 06:06 PM
Lot of them are on the o-line that I'm seeing. He's a statue, needs plant at his drop to go through reads for at least a breath or two.

Yes, but there are times you have to fold 'em. On one play, they had a 3rd and 2 at the very edge of field goal range. Throw it quick or throw it into the seats but the one thing you can't do is eat a sack. So he promptly does, and it's punt time. We didn't get burned by it today because for every mistake we made, the Jets countered with three, but Orton needs to stop doing that.

Typ0
10-26-2014, 06:11 PM
Yes, but there are times you have to fold 'em. On one play, they had a 3rd and 2 at the very edge of field goal range. Throw it quick or throw it into the seats but the one thing you can't do is eat a sack. So he promptly does, and it's punt time. We didn't get burned by it today because for every mistake we made, the Jets countered with three, but Orton needs to stop doing that.

I agree he ought to just accept he's not going to run out of the pocket and throw those plays away. Seeing him pull the ball down to try and run is downright scary...

IlluminatusUIUC
10-26-2014, 06:17 PM
I agree he ought to just accept he's not going to run out of the pocket and throw those plays away. Seeing him pull the ball down to try and run is downright scary...

True but the trick is to throw the ball in such a way that it is legal, but no one can catch it. Watch Manning or Brady, when they are under pressure and can't do anything, they will just drill the ball into a halfbalk or TE's ankles without sacrificing yardage.

Mace
10-26-2014, 06:29 PM

Agree, but I'm not sure he has time to. Today I kept seeing the right side collapse, which means he gets to his drop looks at a read, and peripheral vision sees the pocket collapse and doom coming. The only thing worse than a sack is the forced fumble when you're trying to get the ball away with a mountain of defensive linemen already a step away.

My wish list is Pears back at right tackle, Urbik at right guard and find a freaking left one who can at least fall down properly in front of people to slow them down 2 seconds.

Orton is just not mobile, so he can either fall down holding the ball (we see that), do something dumb and we pay for it (we see that), or start up with the EJ/Trent immediate checkdown-and-don't-hurt-me pattern.

I really don't see where he even has enough time to get rid of it on a busted line play, because there are too many busted line plays and he'd be flinging it into the stands fast almost constantly or immediately dumping to the blanketed checkdown.

YardRat
10-26-2014, 06:35 PM
lol...never thought I'd see the day where 'I wish we had Pears at right tackle' would be posted. That says a lot...

ICRockets
10-26-2014, 06:54 PM
I think I want to have a conversation about moving Henderson to LT and moving Cordy Glenn inside. I want to see us practicing a bit with Henderson/Glenn/Wood/Urbik/Pears. Then we can maybe test out Henderson/Glenn/Wood/Richardson/Pears. Or Henderson/Kuandijio/Wood/Urbik/Glenn. I don't know, I feel like we really need to look at who we have with talent and find a way to get the 5 best out on the field.

Mace
10-26-2014, 08:06 PM
I think I want to have a conversation about moving Henderson to LT and moving Cordy Glenn inside. I want to see us practicing a bit with Henderson/Glenn/Wood/Urbik/Pears. Then we can maybe test out Henderson/Glenn/Wood/Richardson/Pears. Or Henderson/Kuandijio/Wood/Urbik/Glenn. I don't know, I feel like we really need to look at who we have with talent and find a way to get the 5 best out on the field.

I think that's been the problem though. They've been testing too much to get the "best" guys on the field. It all started with just a left guard problem. Right side was not all pro but ok. Could be improved but no point making it worse by testing anything. Richardson and Henderson may have best days ahead, they are not now and Pears, an adequate tackle has no biz being used as a terrible guard.