PDA

View Full Version : Doug Whaley's rebuild

Buffalogic
10-27-2014, 11:18 AM
Whaley finds another gem LB.

Last year he found an impact rookie in the second round with Kiko and this year he follows it up by finding Brown in the third. We are getting great contributions out of a journeyman underachiever in Rivers and a guy the patriots cast away. He took our pathetic and empty LB corp and turned it into a strength in two years.

The players on this team are much better since he fully took over as gm. Whoever can't see that isn't paying attention.

better days
10-27-2014, 12:09 PM
I think Whaley's first draft will prove to be a very good one & Watkins will make Whaley look like a genius for making that trade.

stuckincincy
10-27-2014, 12:23 PM
Whaley finds another gem LB.

Last year he found an impact rookie in the second round with Kiko and this year he follows it up by finding Brown in the third. We are getting great contributions out of a journeyman underachiever in Rivers and a guy the patriots cast away. He took our pathetic and empty LB corp and turned it into a strength in two years.

The players on this team are much better since he fully took over as gm. Whoever can't see that isn't paying attention.

I'd hold those horses for a while. They were given a parity schedule thanks to last seasons' performance, and so far have had the good fortune to play several teams sans key offensive starters.

coastal
10-27-2014, 12:30 PM
I think Whaley's first draft will prove to be a very good one & Watkins will make Whaley look like a genius for making that trade.
Genius?

hyperbole much?

SpikedLemonade
10-27-2014, 12:36 PM
I'd hold those horses for a while. They were given a parity schedule thanks to last seasons' performance, and so far have had the good fortune to play several teams sans key offensive starters.

The only difference in our schedule to our division peers is that we play Houston (we lost) and Cleveland (who knows?). It isn't that big a deal.

Don't Panic
10-27-2014, 12:38 PM
He deserves a lot of credit for drafting well. Over drafting Manuel is his only major flaw, but I get the gamble, especially after a trade down. Let's not forget the starting RT in the 7th.

coastal
10-27-2014, 01:07 PM
He deserves a lot of credit for drafting well. Over drafting Manuel is his only major flaw, but I get the gamble, especially after a trade down. Let's not forget the starting RT in the 7th.
Or the bust RT in the 2nd.

EricStratton
10-27-2014, 01:09 PM
A rookie lineman is a bust before Halloween?

coastal
10-27-2014, 01:16 PM
If he weren't a 2nd round pick, it's highly likely be wouldn't have even made the team.

stuckincincy
10-27-2014, 01:42 PM
The only difference in our schedule to our division peers is that we play Houston (we lost) and Cleveland (who knows?). It isn't that big a deal.

Don't you acknowledge the injuries to skill players that afflicted the teams we have played? As well as MIA losing their starting linebackers?

It is a big deal - it is how the NFL keeps churning their money machine. The BUF sked was formulated with parity in mind as they have done for years. The $ said it was time to gin up the BUF franchise - in general, a schedule featuning Mickey Mouse vs. Mickey Mouse games in the first two thirds of the schedule, in order to pack the stands, sell the trinkets, get the tv viewing and the ad money. Load the tougher games into the back third because the hook has been firmly set.

It is effective as always. If BUF was 1 and 6, there would be spider webs on the stadium seats, tv revenue would be down big time, trinket sales would be off, same for the high-priced concession fare.

What is up with you?

You have always been a valid critic, but now seem to be jumping on the bandwagon... :scratch:

SpikedLemonade
10-27-2014, 01:52 PM
Don't you acknowledge the injuries to skill players that afflicted the teams we have played? As well as MIA losing their starting linebackers?

That I agree with.

The schedule part I don't since it is a system that has been in place for years now and when you look at it carefully, the only variance that is dependent on the previous year's standings is 2 of the 16 games.

In 4 games we can be 9-3 on a 6 game win streak talking play-offs but more likely will be 7-5 realizing that there is only one possible win left on our remaining schedule.

The Browns, Chiefs and Dolphins will not be push overs.

stuckincincy
10-27-2014, 02:32 PM
That I agree with.

The schedule part I don't since it is a system that has been in place for years now and when you look at it carefully, the only variance that is dependent on the previous year's standings is 2 of the 16 games.

In 4 games we can be 9-3 on a 6 game win streak talking play-offs but more likely will be 7-5 realizing that there is only one possible win left on our remaining schedule.

The Browns, Chiefs and Dolphins will not be push overs.

They have a tougher schedule in the last half of the season, for sure.

They are certainly going to have to work on rb pass protection during practice, with the Spiller/Jackson replacements. Orton was sacked 4 times, a high number considering the low number of pass attempts. Were I KC, I'd pay attention to how BUF positions their TE and how much they early on involve the TE into the pass game.

better days
10-27-2014, 02:38 PM

It is a big deal - it is how the NFL keeps churning their money machine. The BUF sked was formulated with parity in mind as they have done for years. The $ said it was time to gin up the BUF franchise - in general, a schedule featuning Mickey Mouse vs. Mickey Mouse games in the first two thirds of the schedule, in order to pack the stands, sell the trinkets, get the tv viewing and the ad money. Load the tougher games into the back third because the hook has been firmly set.

It is effective as always. If BUF was 1 and 6, there would be spider webs on the stadium seats, tv revenue would be down big time, trinket sales would be off, same for the high-priced concession fare.

What is up with you?

You have always been a valid critic, but now seem to be jumping on the bandwagon... :scratch:

The Bills lost their best starting LB before the first game was played & now have lost their #1 & #2 RB's.

Aaron Williams has been injured, Kyle Williams has been injured.

Injuries happen in the NFL.

Novacane
10-27-2014, 02:44 PM
If he weren't a 2nd round pick, it's highly likely be wouldn't have even made the team.

He wouldn't of. There's no doubt about it.

stuckincincy
10-27-2014, 03:07 PM
The Bills lost their best starting LB before the first game was played & now have lost their #1 & #2 RB's.

Aaron Williams has been injured, Kyle Williams has been injured.

Injuries happen in the NFL.
BUF hasn't lost an OL starter to my information, lost one DB starter, lost Alonso well before season start giving them time for a replacement strategy, lose none of the starting wr corps, their starting TE remains healthy, no QB injuries, the only DL injury of note was Kyle Williams but he didn't miss a game AFAIK.

They lost their starting rbs. It hurt - they were [oor in 3rd down conversions - 3 of 12. Meaningless in a six turnover game with the astounding field posotion of course.

They better spend the bye week on educating the new backs on pass protection. If I'm KC, I'm thinking db blitzes.

better days
10-27-2014, 03:18 PM
BUF hasn't lost an OL starter to my information, lost one DB starter, lost Alonso well before season start giving them time for a replacement strategy, lose none of the starting wr corps, their starting TE remains healthy, no QB injuries, the only DL injury of note was Kyle Williams but he didn't miss a game AFAIK.

They lost their starting rbs. It hurt - they were [oor in 3rd down conversions - 3 of 12. Meaningless in a six turnover game with the astounding field posotion of course.

They better spend the bye week on educating the new backs on pass protection. If I'm KC, I'm thinking db blitzes.

Lost the LG they signed to start to injury. Put on IR.

Lost WR Goodwin to injury.

And you can not replace an IMPACT player like KIKO with just anyone.

The IMPACT is GONE.

Albany,n.y.
10-27-2014, 05:24 PM

If that couldn't be true, then every rookie cut in camp is a mistake.

better days
10-27-2014, 06:18 PM
If that couldn't be true, then every rookie cut in camp is a mistake.

MANY Camp cuts are mistakes.

Fletch
10-27-2014, 07:41 PM
They have a tougher schedule in the last half of the season, for sure.

They are certainly going to have to work on rb pass protection during practice, with the Spiller/Jackson replacements. Orton was sacked 4 times, a high number considering the low number of pass attempts.

I've been pointing out that the teams that we've beaten are weak offensively. Our wins have been over teams ranked the following in scoring: 20th (Chicago), 25th Detroit, 28th Jets, and 29th Minnesota. Miami was ranked 12th.

Our remaining non-divisional opponents rank 1st, 3rd, 7th, 16th and Oakland at 31st.

No one's brought up the fact that our defense is now ranked 12th in yardage and 7th in scoring and dropping. With that remaining schedule I have a hunch that all this talk about the best DL, great LBs, and overall great D is going to be challenged here very soon.

Our offense is problematic so if that happens I don't think we can count on it to offset things.

ParanoidAndroid
10-27-2014, 08:29 PM
I've been pointing out that the teams that we've beaten are weak offensively. Our wins have been over teams ranked the following in scoring: 20th (Chicago), 25th Detroit, 28th Jets, and 29th Minnesota. Miami was ranked 12th.

Our remaining non-divisional opponents rank 1st, 3rd, 7th, 16th and Oakland at 31st.

No one's brought up the fact that our defense is now ranked 12th in yardage and 7th in scoring and dropping. With that remaining schedule I have a hunch that all this talk about the best DL, great LBs, and overall great D is going to be challenged here very soon.

Our offense is problematic so if that happens I don't think we can count on it to offset things.

Not since the Wade Phillips years could I look at 3rd and 1 and think they have a chance to stop it. I like having a defense like this. Are you sure it was lackluster defense that was to blame for those losses or was it a poor offense that repeatedly put the defense in bad positions? The defense has kept us in every single game except for maybe the Pats game. That one got away in the second half but, again, the offense couldn't do anything to keep the ball out of Brady's hands.

We are ranked 6th in 3rd down percentage against, and 4th in yards allowed per play, but have faced the 6th most plays, not because the defense can't get off the field, but because the offense does not possess the football.

Fletch
10-27-2014, 08:32 PM
Not since the Wade Phillips years could I look at 3rd and 1 and think they have a chance to stop it. I like having a defense like this. Are you sure it was lackluster defense that was to blame for those losses or was it a poor offense that repeatedly put the defense in bad positions? The defense has kept us in every single game except for maybe the Pats game. That one got away in the second half but, again, the offense couldn't do anything to keep the ball out of Brady's hands.

We are ranked 6th in 3rd down percentage against, and 4th in yards allowed per play, but have faced the 6th most plays, not because the defense can't get off the field, but because the offense does not possess the football.

How are the teams that we've beaten ranked in those areas on offense?

ParanoidAndroid
10-27-2014, 08:53 PM
Well that went over your head, apparently.

stuckincincy
10-27-2014, 09:13 PM

We could chat on end about this or that stat, who we played, kick back and forth about playing clubs with significant injures, and so on. Which is ok - that's being a fan.

They are 5 and 3 at the midpoint of the season, scored more than they have given up, and are 2 and one in the division and are 3 and 1 on the road. But they are 2 and 3 in the AFC - beating KC would be a boost.

I'm going to give the Bills the same grade as almost all public sector workers get year after year - "exceeds expectations." :kid: