PDA

View Full Version : A few random thoughts & opinions...

elltrain22
10-28-2014, 10:33 AM
In no particular order…

- I absolutely love King's Cartoons. They crack me up every time!!

- Jerry Hughes is playing lights out!! I would argue, that other than Marcel, he's been our best & most consistent lineman. We gotta pay that man at season's end. Please Terry don't let him walk…

- Marcel, speaking of which, is IMO, the best DT in the NFL. With McCoy's new huge contract, he's gonna cost us a bunch. You gotta keep him though.

- Can we afford Hughes, Mario, and Dareus next year??

- Orton looks better and more comfortable every week. Why didn't we sign him before the season. If he was our starter the whole season, we'd be at least 6-2.

- The O-line did look better with Urbik, but it is still very disappointing. We have good players, I just don't understand how we keep making the same mistakes.

- Sammy Watkins is a stud!! Call me Captain Obvious..

- We should've given Bryce Brown more touches last week.

- I don't think we'll beat KC coming off the bye, but I think we can win the next 3 games.

- Billszone rocks!!

Jaybird
10-28-2014, 10:46 AM
The KC game is beyond important to win.. within the conference, and a team we are fighting with for a wild car position. We need to take down the Chiefs and fins in the next 3 weeks

TheBrownBear
10-28-2014, 10:49 AM
I would think our chances of beating KC are improved coming off the bye (and being at home). I think we are more likely to win that game than at the Dolphins.

Mr. Miyagi
10-28-2014, 10:50 AM
We HAVE to plunk down the money and sign all of our DL back. This is what we've been saving our salary cap for. Keep this DL intact, resign Spikes, and we get Kiko back next season. Damn. All our offense needs to be is be adequate.

jimmifli
10-28-2014, 11:17 AM
- Jerry Hughes is playing lights out!! I would argue, that other than Marcel, he's been our best & most consistent lineman. We gotta pay that man at season's end. Please Terry don't let him walk…
A speed rusher with no power move. He only works if the DTs get interior push forcing the QB to stay deep. He's in a perfect situation.

I think any decent speed rusher would put up similar numbers. I'd prefer to keep him since we already know he can be successful in this role, but he isn't worth breaking the bank on if his contract demands are extreme.

Dr. Lecter
10-28-2014, 12:04 PM
We HAVE to plunk down the money and sign all of our DL back. This is what we've been saving our salary cap for. Keep this DL intact, resign Spikes, and we get Kiko back next season. Damn. All our offense needs to be is be adequate.

I disagree only on Spikes. His coverage is a major liability. I am fine with a starting LB crew of Bradham, Alonso and Brown.

I'm not even sure Spikes would start ahead of any of those three

elltrain22
10-28-2014, 12:07 PM
A speed rusher with no power move. He only works if the DTs get interior push forcing the QB to stay deep. He's in a perfect situation.

I think any decent speed rusher would put up similar numbers. I'd prefer to keep him since we already know he can be successful in this role, but he isn't worth breaking the bank on if his contract demands are extreme.

Good point, and good observation

Forward_Lateral
10-28-2014, 12:10 PM
I disagree only on Spikes. His coverage is a major liability. I am fine with a starting LB crew of Bradham, Alonso and Brown.

Agreed. I like Spikes and think he's been a good pickup, but, he's expendable, depending on how Alonso recovers. Brown looks like a steal so far. I hope he continues to play well and get even better.

jimmifli
10-28-2014, 01:10 PM
I disagree only on Spikes.
He's dominant in short yardage situations. His attitude is one of the big differences from last season and I think the other LBs feed off of his violence. I'd like to keep the LB depth, Brown is probably already a better all round LB, but Spikes is special vs the run. He's a must resign if the money is similar to this season.

casdhf
10-28-2014, 01:18 PM
I think we make a play to keep Spikes, but he is a two-down LB. He wants more playing time and, I would guess, a longer deal. I don't think he is going to get either here.

CommissarSpartacus
10-28-2014, 01:23 PM

Spikes has made a BIG difference in the D, and I'd hate to see him go.

With MLBs, there's always the trade off between being big and strong enough to stuff the run and being fast enough to hang with TEs and RBs.

I'd rather skew to the scary run stopper for downs 1 and 2 and substitute on passing downs than go with a full time bulked up SS at MLB.

ghz in pittsburgh
10-28-2014, 01:50 PM

I think he improved leverage skill since coming to Buffalo (must have wahtched and studied Kyle Williams' subtle body leaning way), to the point where he can push his guy off balance just a bit while doing his moves. Among the D-Line, he never gets double teamed and seldom chipped and consistently gets space to work his moves.

He's in perfect situation here. But I don't know the value he puts on himself and whether other 4-3 defensive teams desparate for DE will shower him with dollars. I don't know if he's $7.5 million dollar a year guy on this team but he may very well get that in the off season.

feldspar
10-28-2014, 03:07 PM
Can we afford Hughes, Mario, and Dareus next year??

This is Hughes' contract year. The Bills should re-sign him. He really is having a great year so far.

Dareus is already signed through next year, so he can wait.

I think that Williams deal needs to be restructured. It's kind of ridiculous. But, as far as I understand it, it probably wouldn't make any sense to release Mario next year...the resulting dead money wouldn't be worth it. Somebody correct me if I'm wrong. Don't see a trade happening. I'd like to keep him, but I'm I'd like to see that deal get restructured.

Speaking of dead money, Fitzpatrick and Stevie will be off the books next year. Those two guys alone cost the Bills $17.2 million dollars in dead money this year. The Bills had LOTS of dead money this year.

YardRat
10-28-2014, 04:33 PM
It isn't the salary cap that is going to be a factor in who we choose to re-sign this off season, it's the bottom line and real-life dollars. Signing bonus money has to come from somewhere, upfront, right after the deal is done...the in-league accounting may be prorated for that, but the payment sure isn't. It's going to depend on how many more millions of dollars Pegs wants to pump into the organization to keep some of these guys. With the amount he spent on the team, and facing the possibility of another significant amount coming down the road for a stadium, I'm not real confident that we're going to see a drastic shift from cash-to-cap anytime real soon. Revenue is going to have to be increased first.

As for some of the particular players mentioned, Spikes has had such a huge impact on this defense he has to be priority #1, 'not a three-down backer' be damned. It would be nice to keep Hughes (love what he brings to the table, especially rushing the passer obviously), but it's going to depend how much he's looking to cash in. I don't want Kiko anywhere near MLB, he simply isn't close to the level of MLB against the run Spikes is and should never see the middle of the field again except as a lone LBer in a dime. Brown and Bradham have done well, just not sure if either one of them can fill Spikes shoes. Bradham may have the best shot, and I guess I could live with a worst case scenario of Brown-Bradham-Kiko.

DraftBoy
10-28-2014, 04:48 PM

I'd like an upgrade on Bradham and move him to a Nickel LB only role where his best ability can be utilized.

Mace
10-28-2014, 05:25 PM
It isn't the salary cap that is going to be a factor in who we choose to re-sign this off season, it's the bottom line and real-life dollars. Signing bonus money has to come from somewhere, upfront, right after the deal is done...the in-league accounting may be prorated for that, but the payment sure isn't. It's going to depend on how many more millions of dollars Pegs wants to pump into the organization to keep some of these guys. With the amount he spent on the team, and facing the possibility of another significant amount coming down the road for a stadium, I'm not real confident that we're going to see a drastic shift from cash-to-cap anytime real soon. Revenue is going to have to be increased first.

As for some of the particular players mentioned, Spikes has had such a huge impact on this defense he has to be priority #1, 'not a three-down backer' be damned. It would be nice to keep Hughes (love what he brings to the table, especially rushing the passer obviously), but it's going to depend how much he's looking to cash in. I don't want Kiko anywhere near MLB, he simply isn't close to the level of MLB against the run Spikes is and should never see the middle of the field again except as a lone LBer in a dime. Brown and Bradham have done well, just not sure if either one of them can fill Spikes shoes. Bradham may have the best shot, and I guess I could live with a worst case scenario of Brown-Bradham-Kiko.

I think the thought was Brown at MLB (destined for backup there until Alonso went down ?) and was intended to be more Alonso-Brown-Bradham, Bradham isn't a real good MLB candidate. Thing about Brown and Alonso is that they're both 3 down LB's. so Alonso, Spikes, Brown looks real appealing with Bradham rotational.

I'd agree with Hughes largely being a speed rusher, but think he's a priority resign because he fits perfectly, you don't want a guy without speed and hope he may do well because he has it (Maybin). He's not so lost anymore one on one in terms of strength, he's getting there. Thing about the D-line, is that the 4 players complement each other perfectly, even including the less than 110% motor Mario (who I think will surely renegotiate of he's happy here).

Double teaming any of them is hurting yourself, and if any one of those 4 spots become less effective, the other 3 will suffer for it. Hughes will be able to write his own ticket, though if he'll fit where he goes and be successful is another story. But if say, Pettine gets him....

Keep them intact, they should be able to afford it.

YardRat
10-28-2014, 05:48 PM
I think the thought was Brown at MLB (destined for backup there until Alonso went down ?) and was intended to be more Alonso-Brown-Bradham, Bradham isn't a real good MLB candidate. Thing about Brown and Alonso is that they're both 3 down LB's. so Alonso, Spikes, Brown looks real appealing with Bradham rotational.

I'd agree with Hughes largely being a speed rusher, but think he's a priority resign because he fits perfectly, you don't want a guy without speed and hope he may do well because he has it (Maybin). He's not so lost anymore one on one in terms of strength, he's getting there. Thing about the D-line, is that the 4 players complement each other perfectly, even including the less than 110% motor Mario (who I think will surely renegotiate of he's happy here).

Double teaming any of them is hurting yourself, and if any one of those 4 spots become less effective, the other 3 will suffer for it. Hughes will be able to write his own ticket, though if he'll fit where he goes and be successful is another story. But if say, Pettine gets him....

Keep them intact, they should be able to afford it.

That was my initial impression also with Brown, but so far this season Bradham just looks like a 'fit' at MLB to me despite his lack of actual playing time there. More about perceived attitude than anything else, to be honest.

Dr. Lecter
10-28-2014, 06:04 PM
I'd like an upgrade on Bradham and move him to a Nickel LB only role where his best ability can be utilized.

I think he's been their best LB this year.

Mace
10-28-2014, 06:47 PM

I'd disagree, Preston Brown has been a less spectacular Alonso. For a 3rd round rookie he's been remarkable.

Dunno Bradham is mlb material, but don't know he isn't. Don't know he has a head for the position and calling defensive signals, Alonso and Brown both had mlb background in college, Bradham has mostly been weakside olb, rangier, lankier, good peripheral guy.

Alonso, Brown, Bradham in any combo won't hurt my feelings if they can't retain Spikes. More than one good 3 down lb is considered having the shiznit of lb's.

jimmifli
10-28-2014, 09:48 PM
That pick was good coverage for a CB. He's been really good.

I've talked up Bradham for two seasons now, he outplayed Kiko the final 6 games of last season and was our best LB early this season. But brown has outplayed him. He's better in coverage and makes more plays against the run. I'm not sure who has more talent, but Brown is going to be a good LB for a long time.

feldspar
10-28-2014, 10:42 PM
I'd disagree, Preston Brown has been a less spectacular Alonso. For a 3rd round rookie he's been remarkable.

Dunno Bradham is mlb material, but don't know he isn't. Don't know he has a head for the position and calling defensive signals, Alonso and Brown both had mlb background in college, Bradham has mostly been weakside olb, rangier, lankier, good peripheral guy.

Alonso, Brown, Bradham in any combo won't hurt my feelings if they can't retain Spikes. More than one good 3 down lb is considered having the shiznit of lb's.

Yeah, Preston Brown has really surprised me this year. I don't think people are giving him enough recognition for coming in and playing pretty well as a rookie 3rd round pick. That was a nice pick so far.