PDA

View Full Version : Who do we root for during the bye? Do we actually have to root for Miami?

Crisis
10-28-2014, 12:55 PM
I know it's blasphemy, but the Chargers have the tiebreaker over us and we still control our own destiny vs Miami in terms of that. So, a Dolphins win over the Chargers would help us out some. We also need the Jets to beat the Chiefs, so we need some help from the division.

Hopefully the Broncos can take care of the Pats.

casdhf
10-28-2014, 01:17 PM
I really want KC to steam roll the Jets. If they lose in their house and then come play us all pissed off, I think it hurts us. The Chiefs still play the Seahawks, Broncos, Charges, Steelers AND the Cardinals.

justasportsfan
10-28-2014, 01:23 PM
I really want KC to steam roll the Jets. If they lose in their house and then come play us all pissed off, I think it hurts us. The Chiefs still play the Seahawks, Broncos, Charges, Steelers AND the Cardinals.

I thought this too but then we want KC to have a better record than KC for wild card and if we're any good, we should beat KC whether they are pissed off or not.

Hate to say it but, J-E-T-S :puke:

feldspar
10-28-2014, 01:25 PM
Here is who you gotta root for if you are a Bills fan IMO:

Jacksonville @ Cincinnati
New York Jets @ Kansas City
Tampa Bay @ Cleveland
Philadelphia @ Houston
Denver @ New England
Baltimore @ Pittsburgh (I just think that the Ravens are more likely to win the AFC North)

The funny thing is that each one of the teams I'll root for are playing away games, AT their opponent's stadium. Couple of few huge point-spreads in there too.

Good question about the Miami game, though. At this point, I guess you hope for a tie with San Diego. The Chargers may be the better team, so you perhaps root for the Dolphins...but we don't know enough about what will happen in the second half of the season to say for sure. I'm not sure that I can root for Miami in week 9, regardless.

yordad
10-28-2014, 01:31 PM
Maybe we can just go ahead and win the division.

Jry44
10-28-2014, 01:35 PM
Denver. And just kick back and relax....

Ed
10-28-2014, 01:36 PM
Broncos over Pats to keep the division up for grabs. I have no delusions of the Bills competing with the Broncos for the #1 seed.

Jets over Chiefs. I don't think the a Chiefs loss gives them a better chance of winning in Buffalo. If anything it would just make them look more beatable. Since we play the Chiefs though, we can gain a game on them and win the tie-breaker, so this isn't that critical. Plus they have a tough schedule.

Bucs over Browns. Unlikely, but same scenario as with the Chiefs.

Jags over Bengals. Highly unlikely.

Steelers over Ravens. I think the Ravens have an easier schedule and are the better team.

Fins over Chargers. I thought the Chargers were a lock for the #5 seed, but with two losses in the last two weeks we have a legit chance to move ahead of them again and we control our own fate against the Fins since we play again. I wouldn't care if Miami loses this game though.

Giants over Colts. Playoff seeding will matter when we win the division. I'm dreaming big!

Novacane
10-28-2014, 01:54 PM
I'm not rooting for Miami. Can't do it.

feldspar
10-28-2014, 01:57 PM
Steelers over Ravens. I think the Ravens have an easier schedule and are the better team.

This doesn't really make sense.

If the Ravens have an easier schedule and are the better team, then you should root for the Ravens...NOT the Steelers. That is if you think the Ravens will win the division. I think that's more likely that the Steelers winning the division. The AFC North is pretty tight right now...there is the Bengals too, who currently lead. The Bengals actually swept the Ravens already. I still like the Ravens better.

But the Browns even have a winning record right now, so it really is tough to tell what will happen in that division

Whoever ends up winning that division, we want them to roll.

gebobs
10-28-2014, 02:09 PM
I'm going to enjoy the day and the extra hour it holds away from football.

Ed
10-28-2014, 02:38 PM
This doesn't really make sense.

If the Ravens have an easier schedule and are the better team, then you should root for the Ravens...NOT the Steelers. That is if you think the Ravens will win the division. I think that's more likely that the Steelers winning the division. The AFC North is pretty tight right now...there is the Bengals too, who currently lead. The Bengals actually swept the Ravens already. I still like the Ravens better.

But the Browns even have a winning record right now, so it really is tough to tell what will happen in that division

Whoever ends up winning that division, we want them to roll.
I'm still expecting the Bengals to win the North, so I want the Steelers and Ravens to both lose as many games as possible. I think the Steelers have more potential losses than the Ravens after this week, so I think a loss for the Ravens this week improves the Bills chances of finishing ahead of both teams. Who knows how things are going to play out though. If you told me the Bengals are going to lose a bunch of games then I'm all in favor of the Ravens crushing the Steelers and running away with the North.

sukie
10-28-2014, 02:39 PM
I too cannot root for miami unles... UNLESS it is final game of season and if they win it means alot for the Bills. otherwise... i want the fins to always get stomped.

Historian
10-28-2014, 03:05 PM
Root for all AFC players to get the clap...

Albany,n.y.
10-28-2014, 03:22 PM
I'm rooting for the Jets (except when we play them) until they fall low enough in the draft not to be a threat to get a franchise QB.

Typ0
10-28-2014, 03:41 PM
I don't agree with this idea of the winner of the AFC north division winning out. Let them beat up on each other and put the second seed in the playoffs out there for the winner of our division. Let's play that game in NE the last week for a first round bye and home playoff game.

imbondz
10-28-2014, 03:58 PM
ok we're 1/2 game above Miami. makes zero sense to root for Miami, when they could easily pass us in the AFCEast

Night Train
10-28-2014, 04:23 PM
Sabres play an afternoon game vs. Detroit. I'll be there.

YardRat
10-28-2014, 06:38 PM
My son's girlfriend is a Dolphins fan. She was sporting enough to wear Bills' colors when Miami was on their bye week, but now she not only expects him to gear up for Miami this weekend, but me also. I don't think she understands the enormity of the request.

feldspar
10-28-2014, 11:39 PM
Anybody see the end of the Ravens/Bengals game with that offensive pass interference call?

Looked like a flop to me. No way Smith pushed him down.

Novacane
10-29-2014, 07:25 AM
My son's girlfriend is a Dolphins fan. She was sporting enough to wear Bills' colors when Miami was on their bye week, but now she not only expects him to gear up for Miami this weekend, but me also. I don't think she understands the enormity of the request.

I can kind of understand your son has to if he wants to keep getting some. You on the other hand? You better not!

stuckincincy
10-29-2014, 09:29 AM
Anybody see the end of the Ravens/Bengals game with that offensive pass interference call?

Looked like a flop to me. No way Smith pushed him down.

Steve Smiths' left hand was firmly clutching Ilokas' jersey just under his throat and shoved him down.

Check out the video:

http://www.baltimoreravens.com/news/article-1/Late-For-Work-1027-The-World-Weighs-In-On-Steve-Smith-Pass-Interference-Call/821d9e45-7f8b-4e9a-8f1c-9b8b76812b9c

BAL also dumbly sent a safety blitz when CIN was on their own 20, on 3rd and ten:

..."Sour Play Of The Week: With Baltimore leading 24-20, the Nevermores had host Cincinnati facing third-and-10 on its own 20 with 3:48 remaining. All the visitors needed was an incompletion. Knowing Cincinnati needed to throw deep, surely Baltimore wouldn't safety blitz! But free safety Darian Stewart blitzed, and it was a 53-yard completion to Mohamed Sanu, who went straight to the area the free safety vacated for a key down in the Cincinnati comeback victory. Sour defensive tactics."...

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/page/TMQWeekEight1410228/factoring-academics-college-football-playoff-tuesday-morning-quarterback

feldspar
10-29-2014, 09:33 AM
Steve Smiths' left hand was firmly clutching Ilokas' jersey just under his throat and shoved him down.

Check out the video:

http://www.baltimoreravens.com/news/article-1/Late-For-Work-1027-The-World-Weighs-In-On-Steve-Smith-Pass-Interference-Call/821d9e45-7f8b-4e9a-8f1c-9b8b76812b9c

Of course, I HAVE looked at the video...several times. No way that push caused that fall. I think the safety flopped. I think the call was ticky-tacky at best. I do not think that it should have been called.

ublinkwescore
10-29-2014, 10:21 AM
Miami, jets, denver. Pitt and Baltimore play, so that will both hurt and help... though I think I would rather baltimore get in to the playoffs over pittsburgh... baltimlre we play well against. Pittsburgh has our number.

stuckincincy
10-29-2014, 10:42 AM
Of course, I HAVE looked at the video...several times. No way that push caused that fall. I think the safety flopped. I think the call was ticky-tacky at best. I do not think that it should have been called.
Smith didn't push him. He grabbed Ilokas' jersey with his left hand, and took advantage of the fact that Ilokas' momentum was taking him, as well as Smiths', in the same direction. The grab and pull to the right made Iloka fall, and after Smith released him, he turned to face the ball, having dispensed the defender. It was a blatant action and the refs agreed.

It doesn't take much force to direct a person going in one direction to accelerate and make them fall down.

Note that the Baltimore Sun reporter, who might be expected to cast a favorable eye on Smiths' action, decidedly said that it was offensive pass interference.

:deadhorse

feldspar
10-29-2014, 10:51 AM
Note that the Baltimore Sun reporter, who might be expected to cast a favorable eye on Smiths' action, decidedly said that it was offensive pass interference.

:deadhorse

Well, lot's of professional analysts and former players say that there is no way in hell that was offensive pass interference, but what anybody else says about it won't sway my opinion.

I'll tell you one thing. I do not like these new rules set in place this year one bit.

stuckincincy
10-29-2014, 11:23 AM
Well, lot's of professional analysts and former players say that there is no way in hell that was offensive pass interference, but what anybody else says about it won't sway my opinion.

I'll tell you one thing. I do not like these new rules set in place this year one bit.

I certainly agree on the rule changes and emphasis, this season and for the past few years. I seldom watch any complete game, preferring to record ones of interest,with an occasional live drop-in viewing. I feel that HOF's Lem Barneys' words have merit, in that the NFL faces a limited shelf life - the concussions, the drugs, the criminality that makes politicians stick their noses in, and so on.

I think that a new stadium for BUF has to be totally private sector funded. Some who follow the CIN stadium debacle appreciate what a hit property owners and sales tax payers have incurred - in OH, state law mandates that counties balance their budgets. Canned over 1,000 workers at last count. Not so for cities, towns, villages, unfortunately. I'd be pleased to see such also have to balance.

Folks here voted for stadiums for the NFL team, the MLB club, and not for a needed new jail. So in Hamilton County OH., folks physically horribly hurt by others watch the perps walk back onto the streets because there is no room at the inn, so to speak.

stuckincincy
10-30-2014, 10:05 AM
I'm still expecting the Bengals to win the North, so I want the Steelers and Ravens to both lose as many games as possible. I think the Steelers have more potential losses than the Ravens after this week, so I think a loss for the Ravens this week improves the Bills chances of finishing ahead of both teams. Who knows how things are going to play out though. If you told me the Bengals are going to lose a bunch of games then I'm all in favor of the Ravens crushing the Steelers and running away with the North.

CIN will have a tough row to hoe to win the division. And get into the playoffs.

LB Burfict, who has been in and out so far with concussions, now undergoes knee surgery which will keep him out for a few weeks. AJ Green's toe problem lingers - missed 2 1/2 games so far. TE Eifert is still on IR-return since game 1, so they continue with rookie Ryan Hewitt and the hot 'n cold Gresham as the TEs. RG Zeitler came back last week after missing 2, but is injured again. DT Thompson hasn't played for weeks, and they have a host on their DNP list this Wednesday:

Did not practice – running back Giovani Bernard (hip/clavicle); cornerback Darqueze Dennard (hamstring), defensive end Carlos Dunlap, (illness); linebacker Rey Maualuga, (hamstring); defensive tackle Domata Peko (toe), guard/center Mike Pollak
(knee) offensive tackle Andrew Whitworth (day off after wife gave birth to the couple’s fourth child), and guard Kevin Zeitler. Limited participation – Green (toe), cornerback Terence Newman (back) and tackle Andre Smith (knee).

They play JAX Sunday, and 4 days later suit up again on Thursday vs. CLE. Ouch.

Add in a difficult final 4 games: PGH, @CLE, DEN, @PGH. At this point, if they make the playoffs, I think it will be as a WC. BAL's final 4 are @MIA, JAX, @HOU, CLE, and PGH's is @CIN, @ATL, ending with two at home, KC and CIN.

Also - I'll root for MIA over SD - I don't know who wins the AFC West, but either DEN or SD looms as wildcard competition for BUF. And BUF has a chance to stab MIA in their 2nd game. :2cents:

Ed
10-30-2014, 11:08 AM
CIN will have a tough row to hoe to win the division. And get into the playoffs.

LB Burfict, who has been in and out so far with concussions, now undergoes knee surgery which will keep him out for a few weeks. AJ Green's toe problem lingers - missed 2 1/2 games so far. TE Eifert is still on IR-return since game 1, so they continue with rookie Ryan Hewitt and the hot 'n cold Gresham as the TEs. RG Zeitler came back last week after missing 2, but is injured again. DT Thompson hasn't played for weeks, and they have a host on their DNP list this Wednesday:

Did not practice – running back Giovani Bernard (hip/clavicle); cornerback Darqueze Dennard (hamstring), defensive end Carlos Dunlap, (illness); linebacker Rey Maualuga, (hamstring); defensive tackle Domata Peko (toe), guard/center Mike Pollak
(knee) offensive tackle Andrew Whitworth (day off after wife gave birth to the couple’s fourth child), and guard Kevin Zeitler. Limited participation – Green (toe), cornerback Terence Newman (back) and tackle Andre Smith (knee).

They play JAX Sunday, and 4 days later suit up again on Thursday vs. CLE. Ouch.

Add in a difficult final 4 games: PGH, @CLE, DEN, @PGH. At this point, if they make the playoffs, I think it will be as a WC. BAL's final 4 are @MIA, JAX, @HOU, CLE, and PGH's is @CIN, @ATL, ending with two at home, KC and CIN.

Also - I'll root for MIA over SD - I don't know who wins the AFC West, but either DEN or SD looms as wildcard competition for BUF. And BUF has a chance to stab MIA in their 2nd game. :2cents:
Good to know Cincy has so many issues right now. I knew about AJ Greens toe, but I didn't think it would be that serious.

Kind of weird scheduling that they don't play Pitt for the first time until week 14 and still haven't played Cleveland yet, but have played Baltimore twice. I guess I was kind of expecting them to sweep Cleveland, but they're definitely better than I expected. If they split with Cleveland and Pitt, and lose @New Orleans and vs Denver, the best they could do is 9-6-1. That probably won't win the North. I really wanted them to lose that Carolina game.