PDA

View Full Version : CJ Spiller Contract

mightysimi
10-29-2014, 07:36 AM
With CJ being hurt for potentially the season, while it used to be a forgone conclusion that he would decline his player option, now I'm not so sure.

First would anyone pay close to 5M for someone coming off a season ending injury? An injury that has now happened twice. I doubt it.

He may want next year to try and secure that one last big contract.

If he goes on the open market, I don't think he makes any more than Tate did this year.

We might get one more year of Spiller.

Night Train
10-29-2014, 07:43 AM
I would low ball him and if he gets more from another team, so be it.

He's a gimmick guy and not a #1 RB, if even a #2. Hates running between the tackles and that eliminates him from any decent contract offer from the Bills. May be better as a WR/wingback Harvin type but his touches are limited to only a few.

RB's are easy to find in FA and later rounds of the draft. Nothing against him at all... he can pop a few plays a year but Hughes and others should be our primary FA concerns.

Fletch
10-29-2014, 07:47 AM
I would low ball him and if he gets more from another team, so be it.

He's a gimmick guy and not a #1 RB, if even a #2. Hates running between the tackles and that eliminates him from any decent contract offer from the Bills. May be better as a WR/wingback Harvin type but his touches are limited to only a few.

RB's are easy to find in FA and later rounds of the draft. Nothing against him at all... he can pop a few plays a year but Hughes and others should be our primary FA concerns.

What, you're not familiar with our front office now after all these years?

Overpaying is their specialty. I wouldn't be so sure about that.

JoeMama
10-29-2014, 07:51 AM
We should re-sign CJ on the cheap, then fall to our knees and beg Chan Gailey to return to Buffalo strictly as the offensive coordinator.

Gailey may have been a poor HC but he damn well knew how to squeeze the most production possible out of CJ Spiller and mediocre QB's. He would be an immediate upgrade over Natty Hackett.

CJ was a monster under Gailey.

mightysimi
10-29-2014, 07:57 AM
Well he's still here if he wants to be. Unless we cut him then we get about 2M in dead money. I would be alright with one more year before we try to re-sign him. RB's value only decreases with age.

cookie G
10-29-2014, 08:13 AM
Why in the world would he want to come back and be used as a fullback?

streetkings01
10-29-2014, 08:18 AM
How much is Sproles and Pierre Thomas getting? Thats the kind of contract Spiller is currently worth.

P. Thomas - 2yr $4 million
D. Sproles - 3yr $10.5 million

I'd sign CJ to a 3yr $10 million similar to the Sproles contract.........tell him take it or leave it!

mightysimi
10-29-2014, 08:42 AM
Why in the world would he want to come back and be used as a fullback?

who said anything about a fullback? Obviously that is a ridiculous idea.

cookie G
10-29-2014, 09:20 AM
who said anything about a fullback? Obviously that is a ridiculous idea.

You're right, it is a ridiculous idea. Thank you for agreeing with me.

And yet..that's exactly how Soopah Genius Nate Hackett has been using him.

I have no idea why he'd want to come back to that.

mightysimi
10-29-2014, 09:51 AM
You're right, it is a ridiculous idea. Thank you for agreeing with me.

And yet..that's exactly how Soopah Genius Nate Hackett has been using him.

I have no idea why he'd want to come back to that.

I'd say he has 5M reasons to return.

stuckincincy
10-29-2014, 10:06 AM
Decisions about Spiller have to be on hold. Many questions...

The extent of his injuries, F. Jackson's status now and in the future, how the replacements for both will fare in the coming games (the NYJ game was such an oddity - 6 turnovers, unheard-of field position all game long, 4 td passes out of 17 attempts).

Spiller isn't an especially gifted outside runner, certainly not useful as a wr as has been advocated by some since he was drafted, but he does have a great eye for an interior opening and beating that first defender and reeling off big yards.

Ed
10-29-2014, 10:08 AM
We should re-sign CJ on the cheap, then fall to our knees and beg Chan Gailey to return to Buffalo strictly as the offensive coordinator.

Gailey may have been a poor HC but he damn well knew how to squeeze the most production possible out of CJ Spiller and mediocre QB's. He would be an immediate upgrade over Natty Hackett.

CJ was a monster under Gailey.
Our O-line was significantly better under Gailey also, with basically the same players. I don't know if it had a lot to do with the O-line coach, scheme, Fitz, or what, but our O-line was at its best during this long playoff drought under Gailey.

better days
10-29-2014, 10:13 AM
What, you're not familiar with our front office now after all these years?

Overpaying is their specialty. I wouldn't be so sure about that.

Yeah, the Bills have a history of overpaying.

Overpaid Levitre, overpaid Byrd, overpaid Clements, overpaid Whitner

Ed
10-29-2014, 10:20 AM
So just to be clear, CJ Spiller has an option for a 6th year that only he can exercise, that's would pay him $5 million?

I don't think players normally exercise option years, but in CJ's case this might make sense for him. I guess a lot would depend on if he does actually end up returning this season and does anything significant. For example, if we did actually make the playoffs and he had a huge game that could change things dramatically as opposed to just missing the rest of the year.

k-oneputt
10-29-2014, 10:36 AM
He won't be back.
As stated, they don't know how to use him. He should play like a Harvin role.

With this coaching staff he is gone.

DynaPaul
10-29-2014, 10:40 AM

And where are they now? LOL

trapezeus
10-29-2014, 11:44 AM

chris kelsay extension wipes out any good will from not signing 3 of those 4 people. i also would rather have levitre back. a chance at a running attack and a veteran QB? the bills would be sitting pretty as a wildcard team.

Crisis
10-29-2014, 11:57 AM
He'll go to an offense that can actually utilize his talents and return to being an explosive player. It won't happen here as long as Hackett stays

SpikedLemonade
10-29-2014, 11:57 AM
Personally, I am prepared to move on from Spiller once his rookie contract expires.

trapezeus
10-29-2014, 01:37 PM
agreed that i'm ready to move from spiller only because most of our OL strategy doesn't seem to satisfy spiller's strengths which is to bounce it outside.

i wouldn't be surprised if he had success elsewhere, but i don't think the bills are building a team where he will be successful

Downinfloflo
10-29-2014, 01:42 PM
Does he have lung problems??

He get's winded quickly, And always need's to come out of the game for a breather.

It's a very bad time to be a RB in the NFL, Their a dime a dozen and no one want's to pay you.

better days
10-29-2014, 05:33 PM
And where are they now? LOL

I am not saying the Bills SHOULD have over paid them.

Just pointing out overpaying is NOT the Bills specialty.

better days
10-29-2014, 05:35 PM
chris kelsay extension wipes out any good will from not signing 3 of those 4 people. i also would rather have levitre back. a chance at a running attack and a veteran QB? the bills would be sitting pretty as a wildcard team.

I would love to have Levitre back as well.

But the Titans OVER PAID for him & are ready to dump him & his contract.

mightysimi
10-30-2014, 02:16 PM
So just to be clear, CJ Spiller has an option for a 6th year that only he can exercise, that's would pay him $5 million?

I don't think players normally exercise option years, but in CJ's case this might make sense for him. I guess a lot would depend on if he does actually end up returning this season and does anything significant. For example, if we did actually make the playoffs and he had a huge game that could change things dramatically as opposed to just missing the rest of the year.

That's what I am saying. I'm not sure he decides to go to open market off the strength of a down year and a year where he has been injured. I don't think he gets 5M on the open market so I think he stays and tries to earn another big pay day. I'm not advocating breaking the bank to sign him, I think we can move on from him, it's that I don't think he gives up the money.

mightysimi
10-30-2014, 02:18 PM
He won't be back.
As stated, they don't know how to use him. He should play like a Harvin role.

With this coaching staff he is gone.

Are you suggesting that if he picks up the option that we cut him? The highest paid RB on the market didn't get 5M (or maybe Gerhart did) Why would anyone pay him that much coming off 2 disappointing seasons. Well really 4 out of 5. I think he takes the money and tries to earn another pay day.

k-oneputt
10-30-2014, 02:25 PM
He won't pick up his option.

feldspar
10-30-2014, 02:32 PM
If we aren't going to spend up to the cap anyway, why not set Spiller up for one year to prove his "real worth" in order to get a sizable, relatively long-term contract?

People that don't see Spiller's talent piss me off sometimes.

I'd like to retain him for next year at least.

k-oneputt
10-30-2014, 02:39 PM
So would I, Just don't think they will.

Ed
10-30-2014, 03:24 PM
I guess there is always the franchise tag. I don't know how much it would be for a RB, but it must be less than most positions.

Ed
10-30-2014, 03:26 PM
$9.5 mil franchise tag for RBs in 2014. Never mind.

coastal
10-30-2014, 03:28 PM
Rosetta Stone

Mr. Pink
10-30-2014, 03:57 PM
His best bet will be to exercise his option and use the year to prove himself as a guy who should get paid.

I don't see him getting 5m on the open market.

lavuuk153
10-30-2014, 09:53 PM
His best bet will be to exercise his option and use the year to prove himself as a guy who should get paid.

I don't know if he can get 5M on the open market, but I'd have a hard time turning down a 3 year 12M deal with a good chunk guaranteed. I can definitely see a team that would know how to use him give him that offer. The question is does he gamble on himself in Buffalo which can't figure out how to use him or take extra money at a lower rate simply because a few extra million is a crap ton of money.

RedEyE
10-31-2014, 02:43 PM
This team hasn't earned the luxury of low balling FAs.

FAs do not want to come or stay in Buffalo for bottom or even mid dollar. Once in a while a player comes along that is in love with the city and the fans. Those players are rare at such ayoung age.

So its either pay through the nose for Spiller, hope he is one of those rare players, or prepare yourself to watch him play elsewhere.

Topas
10-31-2014, 03:04 PM

I bet that he would get 5 mill on the open market. Some other team will remember that he averaged about 6-7 yards per run a few years ago. And the Bills are only too stupid to use him. The Eagles are loaded at RB. But if he goes to a team that uses him similar to they use RBs he will dominate. Maybe the Saints.
I think he is definitely not as good as McCoy. But some team will pay him 5 mill. And if he is lucky that is actually a team that knows how to use him.

starrymessenger
11-01-2014, 12:26 PM
Spiller is not a good fit for Hackett's and Marrone's offence - at least not at it's current stage of development.
Maybe if fully mature, with a good O-line, vertical passing game and a runner like Chris Ivory doing some of what CJ has been asked to do, Spiller could do serious damage with screen passes and check downs.
Maybe if the Bills thought they might be there as soon as next year t would make some sense to resign him.
But even then if they feel that in a mature system Brown could do almost as well in space as well as run better inside hard to see just what CJ could add to the equation.

Mr. Pink
11-01-2014, 12:58 PM
I bet that he would get 5 mill on the open market. Some other team will remember that he averaged about 6-7 yards per run a few years ago. And the Bills are only too stupid to use him. The Eagles are loaded at RB. But if he goes to a team that uses him similar to they use RBs he will dominate. Maybe the Saints.
I think he is definitely not as good as McCoy. But some team will pay him 5 mill. And if he is lucky that is actually a team that knows how to use him.

He's a gimmick player that if used properly would be used like Sproles.

Not a main integral piece but a complimentary piece.

Sproles is making 3.5m per.

HHURRICANE
11-02-2014, 10:54 AM
With CJ being hurt for potentially the season, while it used to be a forgone conclusion that he would decline his player option, now I'm not so sure.

First would anyone pay close to 5M for someone coming off a season ending injury? An injury that has now happened twice. I doubt it.

He may want next year to try and secure that one last big contract.

If he goes on the open market, I don't think he makes any more than Tate did this year.

We might get one more year of Spiller.

And why do we want one more year of Spiller?

I'm fairly confident that we can address RB in the draft, etc...

YardRat
11-02-2014, 11:15 AM
Four out of the five years Spiller has been here people have complained that the coaching staff doesn't know how to use him. Eventually you have to get beyond that and look at the player.