PDA

View Full Version : How will BUF spend their rookie pool $ next year, without a 1st rnd pick?

stuckincincy
10-29-2014, 09:54 AM
Just wondering what they will do, not having to have a #1 pick $ take a bite out of the draft cap.

CBA experts - feel free to chime in. I don't know if their rookie pool gets reduced because of not having a 1st round selection.

Do you think they will make a move back into the 1st, or move up in the 2nd or latter rounds if they have the pool cash to do so?

Deal for extra picks?

Ed
10-29-2014, 09:59 AM
I'm pretty sure that the rookie pool is based on the picks you have. So not having a #1 would reduce the pool. Each pick of each round has an allotted contract value so I believe the rookie pool is determined after the draft based on the picks that were used.

stuckincincy
10-29-2014, 10:10 AM
I'm pretty sure that the rookie pool is based on the picks you have. So not having a #1 would reduce the pool. Each pick of each round has an allotted contract value so I believe the rookie pool is determined after the draft based on the picks that were used.

Thanks. But I believe the pool is also adjusted for final season record - the parity thing.

Ed
10-29-2014, 10:26 AM
Thanks. But I believe the pool is also adjusted for final season record - the parity thing.
Well teams with higher draft picks are going to have to have higher pool amounts since their picks are more valuable, but I would assume that the actual pool amount can't be finalized until after the draft since picks can be traded. If a team trades back into the first round, they can't just pay both first rounders less than normal in order to fit under a pool limit. They would have to adjust the pool amount. I'm not certain on any of this, but that is how I understand it.

stuckincincy
10-29-2014, 10:49 AM
Well teams with higher draft picks are going to have to have higher pool amounts since their picks are more valuable, but I would assume that the actual pool amount can't be finalized until after the draft since picks can be traded. If a team trades back into the first round, they can't just pay both first rounders less than normal in order to fit under a pool limit. They would have to adjust the pool amount. I'm not certain on any of this, but that is how I understand it.

I have trouble figuring it out myself, Ed.