PDA

View Full Version : Kiko Alonso progressing

YardRat
10-30-2014, 05:07 AM
http://www.buffalobills.com/news/article-1/Kiko-Alonso-progressing-but-a-lot-of-ground-to-cover/f8091c76-7e2e-4a61-987b-3e133075026f

Two Mondays ago at One Bills Drive, Kiko Alonsohttp://www.buffalobills.com/assets/nflimg/icon-article-link.gif (http://www.buffalobills.com/team/roster/kiko-alonso/5c1d0e0f-9eef-4eb5-a7c0-4ed7d57ff150/) was alone in the weight room. The rest of the roster was in player meetings preparing for the New York Jets. Alonso was doing wall sits. Now three months removed from ACL surgery (http://www.buffalobills.com/news/article-1/Kiko-Alonsos-rehab-going-well/9f483467-b54c-410a-81db-8fd917871f14) the Bills linebacker is making steady progress and pleased with where he’s at in the process. “I’ve started running already,” Alonso told Buffalobills.com. “I’m just doing straight line running, so I’m doing everything but cutting right now. Obviously I’m progressing to full speed running. I’m doing everything, but I’m limited.”
Alonso underwent surgery in late July to repair the ACL in his left knee after tearing it in a personal training workout in Oregon July 1st (http://www.buffalobills.com/news/article-1/Doug-Whaley-statement-on-Kiko-Alonsos-injury/dd645b32-053a-404c-ae75-659719cf56e0). He says the knee feels great, but he knows he cannot rush a process that typically takes seven to nine months for a full recovery.
“My knee feels great,” he said. “It definitely doesn’t feel like there’s anything wrong with it. It’s just a matter of time. You’ve got to let that ligament heal and strengthen the muscles around it. It feels probably where it should be right now.”

coastal
10-30-2014, 05:09 AM
Very disappointing we lost him for this year.

Meathead
10-30-2014, 05:34 AM
i wonder if bradham would have emerged like he has if kiko hadnt got hurt. youd like to think so since he put in all the work already, but he might not have been noticed nearly as much

the good news is kiko-bradham-brown as a lb corp is bonerific

Forward_Lateral
10-30-2014, 05:40 AM
i wonder if bradham would have emerged like he has if kiko hadnt got hurt. youd like to think so since he put in all the work already, but he might not have been noticed nearly as much

I think Brown would've been relegated to backup if Kiko wasn't hurt.

Meathead
10-30-2014, 06:56 AM
probably but hes played more snaps than literally anybody on the defense so hes gonna be miles ahead of where he woulda been. i doubt they will be able to keep him off the field

k-oneputt
10-30-2014, 07:16 AM
Bradham, Brown, Kiko

Next years starting lb's.

k-oneputt
10-30-2014, 07:18 AM
Kiko will be even better at wlb.

casdhf
10-30-2014, 07:39 AM
We don't have a first next year, but we get Kiko back.

I'm happy with that.

Jry44
10-30-2014, 07:57 AM
We don't have a first next year, but we get Kiko back.

I'm happy with that.

This is a pretty solid point...

Forward_Lateral
10-30-2014, 08:07 AM
probably but hes played more snaps than literally anybody on the defense so hes gonna be miles ahead of where he woulda been. i doubt they will be able to keep him off the field

No now, obviously. Which is the silver lining of Kiko getting hurt. They got Brown, and he's played, and shown he's probably the steal of the draft for the Bills.

Remember when the Bills' linebackers used to be so crappy? I don't miss those days.

Fletch
10-30-2014, 08:28 AM

Bradham, Brown, Kiko

Next years starting lb's.

Whatever happened to Spikes?

It wasn't long ago that it was force fed to us by many here about how great he was going to be.

Another scratch of our biggest free agency move?

casdhf
10-30-2014, 08:32 AM
He has been a force ... as a two-down LB, just like everyone said.

streetkings01
10-30-2014, 09:19 AM
No now, obviously. Which is the silver lining of Kiko getting hurt. They got Brown, and he's played, and shown he's probably the steal of the draft for the Bills.

Remember when the Bills' linebackers used to be so crappy? I don't miss those days.Poz , Ellison , Mitchell *yuck*

Ed
10-30-2014, 09:24 AM
Anyone remember Chad Pennington's rushing TD against us where he did this slow lame juke move that made Eddie Robinson fall flat on his face? Those were the good old days.

Meathead
10-30-2014, 11:06 AM
Whatever happened to Spikes?

It wasn't long ago that it was force fed to us by many here about how great he was going to be.

Another scratch of our biggest free agency move?

no not at all. if they bills think they can manage keeping him along with everybody else then thats great, he can be a key part of the rotation and especially for run heavy games/downs

but the reason brown has played so much is bc he can cover. kiko can cover, and honestly i dont know know if bradham can cover but i havent been hearing his name getting burned so i expect hes better than spikes in that dept

interestingly, ive seen spikes make quite a few decent plays in coverage this season. but you can also see why hes a liability there, he seems like hes always a step slow and if he does make the play its out of pure anticipation (or luck at being at the right place). which is kinda opposite how he plays the run, like hes a step ahead of everybody else

ICRockets
10-30-2014, 01:57 PM
no not at all. if they bills think they can manage keeping him along with everybody else then thats great, he can be a key part of the rotation and especially for run heavy games/downs

but the reason brown has played so much is bc he can cover. kiko can cover, and honestly i dont know know if bradham can cover but i havent been hearing his name getting burned so i expect hes better than spikes in that dept

interestingly, ive seen spikes make quite a few decent plays in coverage this season. but you can also see why hes a liability there, he seems like hes always a step slow and if he does make the play its out of pure anticipation (or luck at being at the right place). which is kinda opposite how he plays the run, like hes a step ahead of everybody else

Like his tip on Leodis' first INT against the Vikings. Every time I watch that play, I fail to identify the moment in which he looks back for the ball. I'm not even sure there was such a moment.

I think Brandon Spikes might be a wizard.

ParanoidAndroid
10-30-2014, 06:56 PM
Bradham is our fastest linebacker.... haven't noticed his cover skills but he can run with just about anybody.

Scumbag College
10-30-2014, 08:21 PM
I tore my ACL when I was 32 and it took a full 12 months after surgery before I could really think about playing anything competitively after surgery. I'm sure Kiko will have the best therapy and training that money can buy...he'll be OK for the start of Training Camp 2015. The biggest obstacle for me was the mental part of cutting and running full tilt on my new knee.

ServoBillieves
10-30-2014, 09:24 PM

Remember when the Bills' linebackers used to be so crappy? I don't miss those days.

At a McDonald's in Oregon, Keith Ellison just shed a tear while flipping a burger.

Buffalogic
10-30-2014, 11:48 PM
2nd, 3rd, 4th round picks. Whaley.

ublinkwescore
10-31-2014, 06:16 AM

Eddie Robinson... oh god, that just killed my morning wood.

ghz in pittsburgh
10-31-2014, 06:55 AM

Just to clarify, they didn't draft Brown BECAUSE Kiko was injured. The injury happened AFTER the draft. I believe the plan was/is to groom Brown behind Spikes.

So far we haven't seen Brown took running down MLB role yet since Spikes hasn't missed a game in that role. I didn't like what I saw from the Vikings game where Brown missed tackles on their RB running to the edge (btw Spikes had a bad game shedding blocker in that one as well). But his coverage skill has improved noticeably week 1 to week 8.

When Kiko comes back next year, we may have two top notch 3 down linebackers who can handle multiple TE sets and RB out of back fields.

YardRat
10-31-2014, 04:30 PM
This is his second ACL tear I believe, that doesn't exactly inspire confidence in his ability to stay healthy. I'd be much more comfortable re-signing Spikes and having all four LBers (w/Bradham, Brown and Kiko) going into next season.

Downinfloflo
10-31-2014, 05:26 PM
He looked small and out of shape in that video.

I guess that's why Brown was asking him if he also worked on his upper body.