PDA

View Full Version : Not Surprising - the Bills are underdog to the Chiefs

ghz in pittsburgh
11-03-2014, 06:20 AM
http://www.vegasinsider.com/nfl/odds/las-vegas/

bye week and all...

notacon
11-03-2014, 07:13 AM
As they should be. I'm surprised it's not more points. This is a very good bet on KC.

trapezeus
11-03-2014, 07:26 AM
KC has a top rated defense and our offense is anemic. That being said, it's at home, so anything can happen and KC is not the same team on the road for hte most part.

casdhf
11-03-2014, 07:35 AM
Stop Charles - Stop KC.

SpikedLemonade
11-03-2014, 07:57 AM
The whole season rests on winning all these next 4 games.

Other than the Jets, these are 3 tough games against 5-3 teams.

There simply isn't 2 wins in our last 4 games.

chris66
11-03-2014, 08:12 AM
They should they are the better team

GreedoII
11-03-2014, 08:19 AM
Underdog next week vs Mia too I'm sure

chris66
11-03-2014, 08:21 AM
Underdog next week vs Mia too I'm sureThat will be more to do with the short week on the road

Fletch
11-03-2014, 08:21 AM
KC has a top rated defense and our offense is anemic.

Wait a minute, now you're saying that our offense is anemic? I haven't been that critical and you've incessantly hammered me for my statements on the O.

I thought we had premier WRs including one of the league's biggest game-busters.

How can it possibly be anemic?

After answering those, please feel free to explain what that "fine line" is between when other people criticize the offense and when you do?

ghz in pittsburgh
11-03-2014, 08:27 AM
Stop Charles - Stop KC.

Very close. They are doing a variety run play, sreen, sweeps etc and doing them effectively. The Vikings games is probably a blueprint for them.

I feel, however, quite good about the matchup, as long as we don't beat ourselves (read: turnovers).

Night Train
11-03-2014, 08:37 AM
I feel good because Orton is our QB.

casdhf
11-03-2014, 09:20 AM
Wait a minute, now you're saying that our offense is anemic? I haven't been that critical and you've incessantly hammered me for my statements on the O.

I thought we had premier WRs including one of the league's biggest game-busters.

After answering those, please feel free to explain what that "fine line" is between when other people criticize the offense and when you do? Fletch, you are criticized because you're an ass hole ... not because of your opinions.

SpikedLemonade
11-03-2014, 09:33 AM
The Dolphins still have 2 easy games against the Jets on their schedule.

ublinkwescore
11-03-2014, 10:22 AM
this is what is going to happen...

VS KC WIN
@ MIA WIN
VS NYJ WIN
VS CLE WIN

If Buffalo is 9-3 going in to Denver, we win there too.

- - - Updated - - -

this is what is going to happen...

VS KC WIN
@ MIA WIN
VS NYJ WIN
VS CLE WIN

If Buffalo is 9-3 going in to Denver, we win there too.

feldspar
11-03-2014, 10:22 AM
KC has a top rated defense and our offense is anemic. That being said, it's at home, so anything can happen and KC is not the same team on the road for hte most part.

I wouldn't call our offense anemic.

But Kansas City does have a good defense. The Chiefs have given up the second fewest points in the league. The good news is that the Bills have already beaten the team that has allowed the fewest points in the league, which is Detroit. Yeah, both Detroit and Kansas City have already had their bye-weeks, but the team that has allowed the fewest points after nine games have allowed around 40 more points than the Chiefs. So that's pretty accurate, at least as far as that goes...

Stats are NEVER the end-all; in fact there are too many variables that play in to trust them all that much. You gotta look at them with a grain of salt. For example, if you want to look at numbers, you gotta keep in mind that the Chiefs have only had 476 defensive plays from scrimmage...only 2 teams have seen fewer. There could be several reasons for that.

But the Chiefs are currently the #1 passing defense in terms of yards-per-game, but then again only 3 teams have seen fewer passing attempts against them. They are also 8th in average-per-pass...already having their bye wouldn't really affect those stats if you really want to compare them to other teams. They are tied for third in sacks. But only 4 other teams have had fewer defensive INTs. They are tied for 12th in passing TDs allowed.

Against the run, the Chiefs are only 19th in terms of yards-per-game that they've allowed, and only FOUR teams have allowed more yards-per-carry. They haven't given up a rushing TD yet this year, though. I think it's possible to see a surge in the Bills running game this week with Dixon and Brown. Little mistakes killed us last week in that regard, and the Jets are considerably better against the run than the Chiefs IMO. I'd like to see Bryce Brown get more carries.

I think the Bills' defense is more well-rounded than the Chiefs'.

If the Bills offense is "anemic," then the Chiefs offense isn't that much better. The Chiefs are currently ranked 20th in yards-per-game, while the Bills are ranked 24th. Granted, the Bills' top-two running backs are out, but we played half of our games with EJ Manuel at the helm. Orton is clearly better.

The Chiefs like to run a lot, and they are pretty good at it. 243 rushing attempts by the chiefs, and 246 passing attempts by the chiefs...so it's right around 50/50. But only 2 other teams have fewer yards-per-game passing the football than the Chiefs. Meanwhile, they are 6th in yards-per-game running the football. Among the teams that have only played 8 games, only ONE team has run the ball more than the Chiefs...besides the Browns, all other teams with more rushing attempts have played nine games. They're still 8th. The Bills are pretty good stopping the run so far this year.

By the way, the Chiefs have played the Titans, Broncos, Dolphins, Patriots, 49ers, Chargers, Rams, and Jets.

Anyway, I'm not usually a stats guy. Don't even know where I'm headed with this post. Perhaps the Bills bye-week has rendered me bored.

It's all about match-ups in the end. Good teams have bad days, and vice-versa. The ball bounces strangely, penalties, etc. I just think that the Bills match-up pretty well against the Chiefs.

Very important that the Bills win this game.

justasportsfan
11-03-2014, 10:34 AM
Get used to it. We'll be underdogs all the way to the super bowl.

ghz in pittsburgh
11-03-2014, 11:12 AM
In response to feldspar, match up is important. Jamaal Charles is their biggest weapon and his running style is like the Viking running back (or should I say vice versa) and the Bills got a taste of it -- they would certainly expect Charles to run that way.

I want to go back to Gailey years where he certainly helped the Bills to conatin Charles and I believe some of our F-line, safety players still remember that. In the Vikings game, I pointed that Kyle Williams had a poor game. But he seemed to perform close to his old form in the Jets game, which is very good news to the Bills. Against a guy like Charles, you need penetrating DT like Kyle to force the issue instead of giving Charles time behind the O-Line (some times a well formed moving pocket) and making his decision.

Also the Bills, outside of the Vikings game, have tackled well. This is very important against Chiefs for both of their running and passing game.

On a side note, last year the Bills had Alonzo shadowed Charles the whole game. Not sure they can do that this year - Spikes won't keep up with him; Preston and Nigel are playing outside.

better days
11-03-2014, 11:14 AM
They should they are the better team

The Jets were favored as well before that game.

I suppose they are better than the Bills as well.

I love seeing the Bills prove the idiots wrong.

chris66
11-03-2014, 01:09 PM
The Jets were favored as well before that game.

I suppose they are better than the Bills as well.

I love seeing the Bills prove the idiots wrong.KC has a better offense and the defenses are comparable. Besides bills are due for the yearly spiral down the toilet

PromoTheRobot
11-03-2014, 01:29 PM
KC has a top rated defense and our offense is anemic. That being said, it's at home, so anything can happen and KC is not the same team on the road for the most part.
Yeah. I heard that before the Jets game.:whistle:

Night Train
11-03-2014, 02:28 PM
Doesn't matter.

Play the game.

better days
11-03-2014, 03:12 PM
KC has a better offense and the defenses are comparable. Besides bills are due for the yearly spiral down the toilet

No WR has scored a TD yet for KC this year.

They have Charles & the Bills have a GREAT run defense.

CoolBreeze
11-03-2014, 03:13 PM
Doesn't matter.

Play the game.

Exactly this^

We should all know by now, It doesn't matter what the team we're playing this week did last week. Gameplans change constantly, and ALL teams match up differently against all other teams. Strategy rules the game, doesn't matter how good or bad you are, have been, or could be. Don't believe me? Ask Mike McCoy

better days
11-03-2014, 03:15 PM
Exactly this^

We should all know by now, It doesn't matter what the team we're playing this week did last week. Gameplans change constantly, and ALL teams match up differently against all other teams. Strategy rules the game, doesn't matter how good or bad you are, have been, or could be. Don't believe me? Ask Mike McCoy

Chris Brown said the same thing.

CoolBreeze
11-03-2014, 03:21 PM
Chris Brown said the same thing.

No way lol. I didn't see that, but I rarely read his articles. He's absolutely right though

better days
11-03-2014, 03:28 PM
No way lol. I didn't see that, but I rarely read his articles. He's absolutely right though

I heard him say it on WGR.

trapezeus
11-03-2014, 04:49 PM

After answering those, please feel free to explain what that "fine line" is between when other people criticize the offense and when you do?

because i don't root for them to be anemic. i actually want them to be successful. like i said to you a 100 times before, you can be critical and not a dick about things. You don't have that skill yet.

To say that the bills are anemic when they run, run, pass, and struggle to have long drives is frustrating. i don't come in after a week of crappy playcalling and bad blocking and say, "look, i told you it would be that way. if they followed my plan to reach for a player who just happens to put up ok numbers and a lot of garbage time stats, they'd be better, i hate this team."

it is what it is. the bills are a middling team that are starting to take steps in the right direction. but if it flames out in the next 4 games, it will be hard to believe there is any continuity as contracts are coming up for key players and the coach seems to be in love with his OC despite the lack of performance.

trapezeus
11-03-2014, 04:55 PM
frankly, i think Alex Smith is a wildcard. he's like rick james. great some times, just awful others.

if the bills make smith have to win it by passing, i feel like even with our secondary, we will rush him into mistakes.

if we let them run at will, i don't think our predictable offense is going to get it done. This would be a good game to get robert woods into the action with shorter crossing routes and to get their LB to try to fill that space as well as sammy catching bubble screens. This will help get the run game going, especially if fred can't go.

YardRat
11-03-2014, 05:53 PM
Good. KC should be favored anyway, but I like being the underdog.

BillsImpossible
11-03-2014, 06:01 PM
No WR has scored a TD yet for KC this year.

They have Charles & the Bills have a GREAT run defense.

The Chiefs have a damn good Tight End in Travis Kelce.

He has 4 TD's, 32 receptions, and 419 yards in 8 games.

better days
11-04-2014, 05:59 AM
The Chiefs have a damn good Tight End in Travis Kelce.

He has 4 TD's, 32 receptions, and 419 yards in 8 games.

Yeah, I think we all know about Kelce.

So the Bills have to account for him & Charles.

casdhf
11-04-2014, 12:20 PM
OMG casdhf your sooo awesome.Thats so cool calling people names. You're

ServoBillieves
11-04-2014, 12:34 PM
Brandon Spikes likes being the underdog according to his Wired for Sound...

Forward_Lateral
11-04-2014, 02:27 PM
The day they start to be favored, is the day I start to worry.

Meathead
11-04-2014, 02:28 PM
personally im quite surprised that the bills are dogs at home to another 5-3 team

i was guessing that the bills would be 1 pt fav at the worst, meaning that on a neutral field kc would be two pts better than the bills. and really that two pts is a lot bc honestly id say it was a pick-em game on a neutral field. but to be a 1.5-2 pt dog at home means bettors believe the chiefs are 5 pts better than the bills! that just seems illogical to me

i dont bet on games anymore but that seems like a gift to me, id take the bills

GreedoII
11-06-2014, 09:40 AM
That will be more to do with the short week on the road

if the game was next Sunday they be dogs in my opinion. They were dogs vs the Jets!