PDA

View Full Version : Chan Gailey

UltimateBillsFan
11-03-2014, 07:28 PM
I know this is completely unrealistic, but where do you think this team would be right now with Chan Gailey at offensive coordinator?

Would his spread style offense have been figured out quickly?

Or would he have been able to successfully utilize CJ Spiller and Fred Jackson in the run and pass game?

Just a thought I had today -- interested to see what people think about it.

jamesiscool
11-03-2014, 07:36 PM
Yeah and what if the bills drafted Tom Brady, Russell Wilson AND megaton, but wait, there's more! AND we had Jon Gruden in his prime!

Whats the point of this thread again?

Novacane
11-03-2014, 08:05 PM
Yeah and what if the bills drafted Tom Brady, Russell Wilson AND megaton, but wait, there's more! AND we had Jon Gruden in his prime!

Wow. Chill out man.

UBF....I think the offense would be much better under Gailey. Like you said it would never happen though.

BertSquirtgum
11-03-2014, 08:07 PM

To talk about football because you're on a football forum. jerk off.

I think the Bills would be 6-2 right now with Chanly as the offensive coordinator. I always stood by the fact that he was a garbage head coach but would have been great as just an offensive coordinator.

jamesiscool
11-03-2014, 08:22 PM
To talk about football because you're on a football forum. jerk off.

I think the Bills would be 6-2 right now with Chanly as the offensive coordinator. I always stood by the fact that he was a garbage head coach but would have been great as just an offensive coordinator.

Football is real and tangible, day dreaming about our last hack job of a coach as our potential fairy godfather of a savior as our offensive coordinator is fantasy land.

The fact of the matter is, chan was fired and does not work for the Buffalo Bills organization.

De facto, the thread is pointless and NOT based on football.

Topas
11-04-2014, 01:57 AM
You should change your alias to 'Jamesisnotcoolbecausesomeonepissedinhiswheaties'

YardRat
11-04-2014, 04:50 AM
Chan Gailey alone wouldn't make that much difference, IMO, and we'd probably be 6-2 with a simple switch at QB in the Houston game as is. Bring back Joe D'Alessandris with Gailey, and you might be on to something.

WagonCircler
11-04-2014, 05:09 AM
I think maybe having any competent Offensive Coordinator gets us to at least 6-2 right now. Maybe even 7-1, provided that this is a scenario in which EJ never played.

With Orton and a Hackett replacement, we could have easily beaten Houston and probably San Diego as well.

ghz in pittsburgh
11-04-2014, 06:26 AM
Sorry guys. This isn't going to happen. There are very few true "manager" type of HC in NFL nowadays, people in the past like Parcells, Levy. Most of them cut their teeth on one side of the ball, had success, and carried on with them in their professional life.

Marrone was an OC; has his offensive philosophy (like components of stretching the field vertically from Payton), and he's not going to change. He brought Hackett up in Syracuse to carry out his offensive vision, and will continue to find like minded candidates should Hackett not in this position. Gailey has an entirely different playbook that Marrone may not be comfortable with and Gailey certainly won't be comfortable with Marrone's playbook.

Defensively he's much more open minded since it is not his specialty area. 3-4 to 4-3? Fine as long as it produces.

This is prevalent in NFL coaching circle. Bill Cowher came up as a DC and his defense was always the same while he changed OC through the years (run oriented, 5 wide passing, etc.). Lovie Smith, Shanahan, all of them the same.

Mike Tomlin here in Pittsburgh is similar in the handling of OC but had a twist in defensive philosophy. The Rooneys made it clear when Cowher retired that they want to keep LeBeau and the 3-4 Pittsburgh defense and Tomlin signed up for it. He added some 4-3 looks but for the most part, leaving Lebeau running his show. On offense, like everyone else before him, he ran through a list of OCs. The one name I want to point out is Bruce Arians. He was with the Bengals when Carson Palmer was drafted and helped developing him. Then he came over to the Steelers and was instrumental in Ben's development (Ben himself often credited him for the early years); then he went on to the Colts when Luck was drafted and helped Luck's rookie year. Finally, he landed a HC job in Cardinals. There are some controversy in terms of his QB developing skills - though impressive but we are talking about working with raw materials like Palmer, Rothlisberger, and Luck, and he has a reputation of pass happy (which led to his dismissal form the Steelers). But on the other side of the coin, you can argue Palmer, Rothlisberger, Luck became who they are so quickly because of him. Thus far in Arizona, he has worked with 3 different QBs and managed to produce results. I was surprised that the Bills didn't spend a lot of time looking at him when they hired Marrone (but now I understand that they wanted something fresh, and maybe Whaley got some bad words from the Steelers about him).

Albany,n.y.
11-04-2014, 07:53 AM
0-8 with Gailey. He would have pushed for & gotten the Bills to sign Tyler Thigpen in the offseason & then convinced Marrone that Thigpen was better than EJ & Thigpen would have to play all season while EJ learned, because EJ had as big a grasp on his offense as Tarvaris Jackson did & only Tyler Thigpen could ever understand his offense. Then when Watkins was made to look like the 2nd coming of TJ Graham because of Thigpen's ineptitude Fletch would be posting I told you sos 24/7.

jamesiscool
11-04-2014, 08:28 AM
0-8 with Gailey. He would have pushed for & gotten the Bills to sign Tyler Thigpen in the offseason & then convinced Marrone that Thigpen was better than EJ & Thigpen would have to play all season while EJ learned, because EJ had as big a grasp on his offense as Tarvaris Jackson did & only Tyler Thigpen could ever understand his offense. Then when Watkins was made to look like the 2nd coming of TJ Graham because of Thigpen's ineptitude Fletch would be posting I told you sos 24/7.

Thank you.

IlluminatusUIUC
11-04-2014, 08:59 AM
Gailey always had a knack for making bad players look average, and for some reason that led to him never getting good players to work with on offense. The only time we tried to get him any kind of offensive talents were Spiller, Glenn, and TJ Graham. The rest was a pu-pu platter of late rounders like Easley and Sanders or crappy free agents like Fitzpatrick and Brad Smith. It's not really a shock that the offense has improved under Marrone (even if it's still being held back), because they finally invested heavily in it with guys like Woods and Watkins.

This is not a defense of Gailey btw. He should have been more aggressive in pushing for some offensive talent or perhaps hiring a defensive coordinator who could have gotten something competent out of the huge, massive investments we made on that side of the ball.

trapezeus
11-04-2014, 10:37 AM
i don't know enough about line play, but it looks like we got bigger under marrone. Gailey seemed to like the leaner lineman. i don't know if gailey's offense would have worked with these linemen.