X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ghz in pittsburgh
    • Aug 2004

Terry & Kim Pegula

I'm not really a hockey fan but do watching the sports on occasion, especially on trips to Canada (even though the Pens have 2 of the top 5 best hockey players in NHL, but more on this later). I just happened to listen to the WGR audio while in a friend's car and heard the Terry & Kim's interview this afternoon. The occasion was about Sabres but I noticed something that I always wondered about, in terms of wins/losses and rebuilding.

It seems the Pegulas are not shy about losing, and losing bad if they can get better talent in the draft. Specifically Terry mentioned the Penguins model as in "how do they (Pens) get to where they are today?" Being in Pittsburgh, I know in a span of 4 years, the Pens used 1st overall picks to get Fluery and Crosby, a 2nd overall pick, Malkin, a 3rd overall on Staal, which pretty much formed the nucleus of the team. In my opinion the Pens overall under-achieved because they won only one Cup with all that talent, but you can't deny the fact that because they sucked bad in those years to put themselves in position for the talent.

Thinking about NFL. Think about the Colts. They got Manning and quickly they became perennial playoff contender. When they suck, they sucked bad to land Luck. Honestly in the last 14 years where the Bills team finished 6-10, 5-11, 7-9 so many times, I would not mind sold off a number of stars and finished 1-15, 2-14 a few years to have a chance to draft one of these QBs who can lead us to promised land for a long time.

I know it is tough to lose badly, especially for a small market team who must use rationalization to sell out games. But with an owner like Pegula, who may be able to absorb a few lean years in the box office and who subscribes to the theory that you may need to hit bottom before you get better, we may indeed see what is happening to the Sabres today down the road for the Bills. They do, however, need to put the right people in the front office though.

BTW, on a question about comparing (owning) the Sabres and Bills, Terry Pegula said something to the following regarding the Bills: compared to the Sabres (when he bought the team), the Bills are kind of in transition; Russ has not been in his position long, Whaley is new, and Marrone is new.

You can read this many ways. My take is that he thinks he kind of knew what kind of GM/coach Sabres had when he bought the team because they had been in positions a long time and had a track record. But the Bills are the opposite. So more than likely evaluation is in order - though in my view, the evaluation can take some time, in terms of in season, off season, support staff etc. I'd not expect any major changes this off season unless something dramatic happens.
  • DetDannyWilliams
    Nobody in Hawaii wears a tie.
    • Feb 2013

Re: Terry & Kim Pegula

Terry and Kim Pegula join Schoop and Bulldog
    Last edited by DetDannyWilliams; 11-05-2014, 08:02 PM.

Comment

• trapezeus
      Legendary Zoner
      • Oct 2004

i think you can get away with stinking in hockey and developing talent. There are more playoff slots so even if you aren't that good, you can still get in. and if you have talent and a good coach, if you are hot at the right time, it's on.

for football, the contracts are shorter length, qb's are not easy to peg as "100% shot to be great". even guys today that look good like rodgers, had warts and dropped in the draft. anyone could have had him.

others looked too good to pass on like cutler, and he's been a huge dud.

I would suspect the pegulas will use their advisor at the end of the season and they're comment that they don't know if they will or not is really just to let this season play out. we are still in it, and there is no reason to sabotage the work of the people before you.

Comment

• THATHURMANATOR
        • Jul 2002

The Sabres must finish with the worst record in the league this season.

AN ABSOLUTE MUST!!!!

Anyone who thinks they should be trying to win should get their head examined.

The top of the draft has the next Gretsky and Lemiex in Mcdavid and Eichel. Finishing last ensures us of one of the 2.

Comment

• better days
          • Jan 2010

Originally posted by Very wide right View Post
          Terry is a nice man but the Bills and Sabres will not improve unless the respective general managers make the correct moves and a lot of luck falls on either team.Owners are financial pieces of a sports puzzle.
          Well I think both teams have very good GM's in Murray & Whaley.

Comment

• Dr. Who
            • Jul 2002

Originally posted by THATHURMANATOR View Post

AN ABSOLUTE MUST!!!!

The top of the draft has the next Gretsky and Lemiex in Mcdavid and Eichel. Finishing last ensures us of one of the 2.
            Every time the Sabres win a game, I swear at the TV.

Comment

• Ginger Vitis
              • Feb 2009

AN ABSOLUTE MUST!!!!

Whooa Nellie Jack Eichel will not be the next Mario Lemieux.. Probably a better version of Ryan Getzlaf

Comment

• HHURRICANE
                • Mar 2005

They would be stupid to scrap the team now in favor of starting over....

They already have young talent...

If they can keep making good decisions in the draft and maybe land some good players in free agency this team should be able to go on a run for years to come....

Comment

• better days
                  • Jan 2010

Originally posted by Ginger Vitis View Post
                  Whooa Nellie Jack Eichel will not be the next Mario Lemieux.. Probably a better version of Ryan Getzlaf
                  I have heard people say that whoever is chosen third in this draft would have been the #1 choice most years, McDavid & Eichal are that good.

Comment

• SpikedLemonade
                    • Jun 2024

AN ABSOLUTE MUST!!!!
                    Don't forget that the Sabres ended up last place last year and may do so next year as well.

Now you're talking proud Buffalo!

Comment

• better days
                      • Jan 2010

Originally posted by SpikedLemonade View Post
                      Don't forget that the Sabres ended up last place last year and may do so next year as well.

Nope. This will be the last year the Sabres tank.

Comment

• THATHURMANATOR
                        • Jul 2002

Wouldnt you want a better Getzlaf? Getzlaf is amazing.

Comment

• Ginger Vitis
                          • Feb 2009

Originally posted by better days View Post
                          I have heard people say that whoever is chosen third in this draft would have been the #1 choice most years, McDavid & Eichal are that good.
                          Yes Noah Hanifan would have went No.1 in 2014 but that does not mean Jack Eichel is the next Mario Lemeiux

Comment

• THATHURMANATOR
                            • Jul 2002

Originally posted by SpikedLemonade View Post

Fine by me.

I agree they probably won't be very good next year but they will start their trend upward with a cupboard stocked full of elite prospects. What is not to like about that?

- - - Updated - - -

Yes Noah Hanifan would have went No.1 in 2014 but that does not mean Jack Eichel is the next Mario Lemeiux
                            Fine maybe being a bit over zealous but Eichel is a beast.

Comment

• Ginger Vitis
                              • Feb 2009

Wouldnt you want a better Getzlaf? Getzlaf is amazing.
                              id rather have Mcdavid but yes I get your point.. One thing i thought was interesting about listening to Terry is he is on board with the tank but admits he is struggling with the losing and it is quite painful for him

Comment

Working...
                              X