X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • feldspar
    • Mar 2007

Kyle Orton won't have any sentiment for reunion with Chiefs

Kyle Orton’s brief time with the Kansas City Chiefs was most curious. He was their starting quarterback for only three games at the end of the 2011 season but packed a lot into such a short time. He led the Chiefs to a couple of memorable victories over the Green Bay Packers and Denver Broncos, came within a whisper of taking a most improbable team to the playoffs and got interim head coach Romeo Crennel the permanent job.

Then he was gone, mostly disappearing from public view as the second-stringer for the Dallas Cowboys until surfacing this year as the starting quarterback for the Buffalo Bills. The Chiefs will meet up with him again Sunday when they face the Bills in Buffalo.

“He was a good guy, great quarterback," said wide receiver Dwayne Bowe, one of the few remaining Chiefs who played with Orton. “He gave me some chances. He trusted in me. We had fun together."

Orton doesn’t remember his time in Kansas City as fondly. He joined the Chiefs off waivers late in the season and, since he was in the final year of his contract, knew he wasn’t going to be around long.

His time with the Chiefs never had the look of permanence. He didn’t find himself a place to stay while with the Chiefs. Instead he kept a room at a local hotel.

He didn’t get close to any of his Chiefs teammates and said he wouldn’t necessarily look to say hello to any of them on Sunday. He crossed paths with Crennel, now the defensive coordinator for the Texans, earlier this season when the Bills played in Houston.

He didn’t bother exchanging pleasantries with his old coach, who has credited Orton’s play for getting him the promotion to the permanent job.

Orton was the Chiefs' starting quarterback for only three games at the end of the 2011 season, but packed a lot into such a short time.
  • Night Train
    Retired - On Several Levels
    • Jul 2005

Re: Kyle Orton won't have any sentiment for reunion with Chiefs

He may treat us the same way when he opts out at the end of the year.

QB's who can play are always in demand and he's a mercenary looking for another good payday. Can't blame him, since the owners treat players like cattle.

If he finishes the year as a winner, the line will form at his agents door.
    Anonymity is an abused privilege, abused most by people who mistake vitriol for wisdom and cynicism for wit

Comment

• feldspar
      • Mar 2007

Originally posted by Night Train View Post

QB's who can play are always in demand and he's a mercenary looking for another good payday. Can't blame him, since the owners treat players like cattle.

Why wouldn't he want to stay in Buffalo if his success here continues?

A few teams may be interested, but I don't know how many teams would guarantee him a starting position, especially before the draft and so forth. I don't see a "line forming." Buffalo would probably be the best place for him.

Anyway, Kansas City claimed him off waivers, so he had no choice in the matter, really. He never chose to be there.

We'll have to see the rest of the season play out first, regardless...or at least most of it. His option ain't exactly peanuts, but they may offer him more. Don't see anybody throwing the bank at him, if that's a saying. Four games in, and this is not the time to speculate.

Comment

• Swiper
        Legendary Zoner
        • Sep 2010

If he wins only 4 more games, the Bills should be at the front of the line to resign him.

Comment

• YardRat
          Well, lookie here...
          • Dec 2004

I just hope he helps the team notch another win this Sunday.
          YardRat Wall of Fame
          #56 DARRYL TALLEY
          #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

Comment

• ghz in pittsburgh
            • Aug 2004

Funny everywhere else they are saying he's a douchebag. I venture to bet that had he not going 3-1 with the Bills, people here would say the same thing.

I wonder if his personality had something to do with the kind of treatment he got so far in his career - right from the draft where he's considered under drafted. Believe me there are people with worse personalities playing QB, but when they have the ability, you don't hear it in the media. Orton is just not quite that good. Sometimes you wonder what will make him happy though.

Comment

• feldspar
              • Mar 2007

Originally posted by ghz in pittsburgh View Post
              Funny everywhere else they are saying he's a douchebag.
              I haven't heard that. Quite the opposite, in fact.

Comment

• casdhf
                • Jul 2002

I think he is just an odd guy.
                Originally posted by BillsZone Mod
                cas,

I'm just letting you know that you have been given 2 points for telling Wys AKA Mark to kill himself.

BillsZone Mod

Comment

• trapezeus
                  Legendary Zoner
                  • Oct 2004

Originally posted by Night Train View Post

don't disagree, but what team really would want him other than other middle to below average teams? and of those teams, do they feel like bringing in an expensive journey man will sell tickets and resonate with people more than signingn a shiny new draft pick high in the draft?

i think if he gets us to the playoffs, the bills should offer him a raise and try to kill the chance that he excercises the option. but we should make that based on end of the season results, not the 4 game sample.

Comment

• cookie G
                    • Mar 2003

And they went with Matt Cassel in 2012.

Good move. lol

Comment

• JohnnyGold
                      • Dec 2008

Originally posted by casdhf View Post
                      I think he is just an odd guy.
                      I may be crossing streams here, but wasn't part of the reason Orton wanted to come to Buffalo due to the fact that he spoke with Kyle Williams over the offseason and heard about what a good football town it is? (This may be someone else, but I'm racking my brain to think of what other player we signed this offseason that would have had that convo with Williams...)

As for Orton being odd, read that article by Tim Graham. I don't think anything could be further from the truth. I think he just happens to be smarter than pretty much 99% of the people in the NFL, and sees the "game" for what it is--a business that puts him in the crosshairs of potential physical harm. I can't fault a guy like that for getting as much money as he can and then getting out. He has aspirations to be a political figure after football, and I believe he majored in poli sci in college. I can't see him and a guy like Sammy Watkins or Dwayne Bowe having much in common outside of football.

I don't think that necessarily needs to be a "bad" thing. If Orton feels the rest of the team is beneath him, he will have (and has had) no qualms about directing them, and Hackett for that matter. Telling people where they need to be and when they need to be there in practice, and if they don't perform to his standard, they won't be targeted in the games. Because of THAT, I could see that as being way too threatening for organizations that EXPECT to win, and have coaches who are entrenched and not looking to be "outsmarted" by their quarterback. Does that not fit the profile of his time in Chicago? Denver? Dallas?

But look at him now in Buffalo--a green head coach and a green OC who are coaching for their lives. 6-10 last year, and 2-2 to start this year. Orton comes in, takes control, and we're 3-1. I've seen Orton get pissed at the sideline several times, but one that sticks out is when he waived off the field goal team v. Minnesota and kept the offense on the field. Keep in mind--I don't necessarily think this system is a BAD thing... look at Manning in Denver. But it needs to be successful--like Manning in Denver. Where Orton lucked out is the fact that "success" in Buffalo is 9-7 and a wild card loss. In each of his previous stops, success was the Super Bowl.

Comment

• HHURRICANE
                        • Mar 2005

I thought he has a two year deal?

Comment

• yordad
                          • Dec 2007

Originally posted by HHURRICANE View Post
                          I thought he has a two year deal?
                          With option to void year 2.
                          "Heck, now I am glad his overrated arce made the pro bowl, else we would have only got a 3rd." ~ yordad

"I've just been hit with a piece of sky. " ~ yordad

"Forgive my opinion, but...." ~ yordad

"Warning: I might be hammered." ~ yordad

"I don't care if the word is "your" or "you're", so buzz off. Its (it's) a frickin(') message board." ~ yordad

Comment

• ghz in pittsburgh
                            • Aug 2004

Not sure I agree that Orton is just "smarter than 99% people in NFL." It is a fact though that he never got a big contract EVER in his career (Bronco's 1 year $8.8 million may be his biggest). In comparison, look how much money guys like Fitzpatrick, McCown are getting. So money will be a big factor wherever he goes.

The fact that he came to Buffalo cold and became accepted offensive leader speak volume of of the problem on offensive side since Marrone took over. So much green all over the offensive side of the ball, especially at the critical position QB. A green offensive coordinator. You get the feeling that these young guys were thrown into water to learn swim while fighting the sharks. EJ was drafted with leadership capability as a big factor. But now looking back, he himself realized what he understood as leader is far from what Orton showed him.

To be honest with you, people from outside don't necessarily see Orton, skill wise, as that much of an upgrade of Manuel. They have different skill sets. But with Manuel, not just that he looked robotic, the whole offense looked robotic. A play is designed to go this way; it is practiced according to diagrams; and it is executed by guys with their parts on game day - some time successful, more times not. With Orton, everybody came toegether and plays became a living thing. Game planning is not a listening seesion any more; practice is demanded with effort, not a run through; on game day, plays have purpose and subtle instructions before they are run and players are hold accountable like when Orton is sacked. These are the intangible stuff that we can see, and it is reasonable to assume that with time, they can get better.

Comment

• The King
                              Without me it's just Awe so
                              • Jun 2004

The Bills wanted Orton, made him feel wanted and handed him the keys, gave him an opportunity. I have to imagine that's everything the guy wanted to come out of retirement. He also gets to play with Sammy which for a QB has to be pretty exciting. Teams may be interested in the off-season but I think the only thing they have to offer is money and uncertainty. No one is going to roll out a monster QB for a 32 year old journey man.
                              I remember that one fateful day when Coach took me aside. I knew what was coming. "You don't have to tell me," I said. "I'm off the team, aren't I?"
                              "Well," said Coach, "you never were really ON the team. You made that uniform you're wearing out of rags and towels, and your helmet is a toy space helmet.
                              You show up at practice and then either steal the ball and make us chase you to get it back, or you try to tackle people at inappropriate times."
                              It was all
                              true what he was saying. And yet, I thought something is brewing inside the head of this Coach.
                              He sees something in me, some kind of raw talent that he can
                              mold. But that's when I felt the handcuffs go on.

Comment

Working...
                              X