PDA

View Full Version : Bills to play Jags in London game next year

whkfc
11-06-2014, 08:49 AM
Heads up

Fletch
11-06-2014, 08:52 AM
Damn well better not be playing in Toronto again then either. Is that series officially off the table for next season?

IlluminatusUIUC
Oh for ****'s sake

Fletch
At least it's the Jags.

EricStratton
11-06-2014, 09:05 AM
It's a Jags home game so nothing is lost for the Bills

SeatownBillsFan21
11-06-2014, 09:06 AM
Yea not a home game so that's good.

feldspar
11-06-2014, 09:08 AM
I hope it's another one of those 9:30 AM games, myself.

I'm glad we are playing the Jaguars.

How do we know this, anyway? Link?

IlluminatusUIUC
11-06-2014, 09:12 AM
I hope it's another one of those 9:30 AM games, myself.

I'm glad we are playing the Jaguars.

How do we know this, anyway? Link?

The Bills posted it on Facebook, I'm not sure where else it's being reported.

Edit: http://www.buffalobills.com/news/article-1/Bills-to-play-Jaguars-in-London-in-2015/3ed9b935-eef6-4648-b59e-61db6b2302a3?campaign=fb_buf_article

IlluminatusUIUC
11-06-2014, 09:14 AM
Also, Jets @ Fins is moved to London. Their fans have got to be PISSED.

OpIv37
11-06-2014, 09:21 AM
The only good thing about the Toronto game was that it exempted us from this charade.

And if the NFL is trying to grow their brand in England, a Bills-Jags game is a pretty poor way to do it. We have Sammy and a good DL but lack star power beyond that. The Jags are so dysfunctional that they make the Bills seem competent.

SpikedLemonade
11-06-2014, 09:23 AM
Damn well better not be playing in Toronto again then either. Is that series officially off the table for next season?

To save face, they did not make it official, but consider it dead since there is very little interest in watching the Bills play in Toronto.

OpIv37
11-06-2014, 09:23 AM
Also, Jets @ Fins is moved to London. Their fans have got to be PISSED.

Not cool. I don't know why the league thinks it's acceptable to take a home div game away from a team.

I could point and laugh because it's the Fish, but watch the league move our home game against the Pats to Germany in a couple of years when they're old and we are finally good enough to beat them.

Pinkerton Security
11-06-2014, 09:27 AM
What a crappy game for the European fans to view. LOL. Im guessing they have to "spread the love" and not make just the large-market teams travel over there every year.

OpIv37
11-06-2014, 09:27 AM
To save face, they did not make it official, but consider it dead since there is very little interest in watching the Bills play in Toronto.

Who saw that coming? Oh right- everyone except Russ, Ralph and Rogers.

Well, maybe Ralph and Russ saw it coming and they didn't care because it got Russ a huge bonus check and got Ralph millions of dollars of Rogers' money to stuff in his mattress.

Novacane
11-06-2014, 09:29 AM
Dumping a game no one would watch on London lol.

Mr. Miyagi
11-06-2014, 09:32 AM
Lions again next year? Who did they piss off?

Dr. Lecter
11-06-2014, 09:33 AM
Toronto is dead. Pegula said as much yesterday

JohnnyGold
11-06-2014, 09:33 AM
the NFL should move to a 17 game season with each team playing 1 international game around the world. the game should be selected at random, lottery style--with the condition that it must be an out of conference game, and can't include the teams you play during the season.

Mr. Miyagi
11-06-2014, 09:36 AM
And why don't they ever put some real marque games over there? New England at Dallas? Green Bay at Denver?

ServoBillieves
11-06-2014, 09:41 AM
And why don't they ever put some real marque games over there? New England at Dallas? Green Bay at Denver?

Because that would put the marquee teams in a position to be uncomfortable or in an "unfair disadvantage". They send the trash over since there is much less backlash and whining by the big name fanbases and owners.

SpikedLemonade
11-06-2014, 10:06 AM

Well, maybe Ralph and Russ saw it coming and they didn't care because it got Russ a huge bonus check and got Ralph millions of dollars of Rogers' money to stuff in his mattress.

No question Ralph did well stealing that $78M for the first deal from Ted.

Captain gameboy
11-06-2014, 10:09 AM
If this is true, I'm definitely going.

Dr. Lecter
11-06-2014, 10:25 AM
No question Ralph did well stealing that $78M for the first deal from Ted.

Stealing?

SpikedLemonade
11-06-2014, 10:27 AM
<form name="form1" style="margin: 0px; padding: 0px; border: 0px; font-family: inherit; font-size: inherit; font-style: inherit; font-variant: inherit; font-weight: inherit; line-height: inherit; vertical-align: baseline;">Season: <select name="menu1" style="font-family: inherit; margin: 0px;"> <option value="/nfl-08/2008-buffalo-bills-football-schedule.php">2008</option> <option value="/nfl-09/2009-buffalo-bills-football-schedule.php">2009</option> <option value="/nfl-10/2010-buffalo-bills-football-schedule.php">2010</option> <option value="/nfl-11/2011-buffalo-bills-football-schedule.php">2011</option> <option value="/nfl-12/2012-buffalo-bills-football-schedule.php">2012</option> <option value="/nfl-13/2013-buffalo-bills-football-schedule.php">2013</option> <option value="/nfl-14/2014-buffalo-bills-football-schedule.php">2014</option> <option value="/nfl-15/2015-buffalo-bills-football-schedule.php" selected="">2015</option> </select></form>

<tbody>
2015 Buffalo Bills Opponents

Home
Miami, New England, NY Jets, Houston, Indianapolis, Dallas, NY Giants, AFC North*

Away
Miami, New England, NY Jets, Tennessee, Philadelphia, Washington, AFC West*

London
Jacksonville

* Team from that division that finishes in the same spot in the 2014 standings.

</tbody>

DesertFox24
11-06-2014, 11:16 AM
I have a lot of friends who are Jags fans and they are one draft away from being a 500 team. They have some really good starters but no depth, and they are hoping Bortles does what EJ and Geno could not do and that is get better from getting killed.

Their OL is terrible however, and their receiving options are not fantastic. Lee and the Penn State rookie are decent number 2s but neither of them will ever be a legit number 1.

Their defense has good players at every level but like I said depth is a major concern for them, but they have a boat load of money to spend this offseason.

It is not a gimmie game by any stretch of the imagination, they are better run than the Jets who I think are going to be bad for next year as well.

better days
11-06-2014, 11:27 AM
I would like to know how it is already determined the Bills will play the Jags next year.

IlluminatusUIUC
11-06-2014, 11:41 AM
I would like to know how it is already determined the Bills will play the Jags next year.

14 of the 16 games are already set in perpetuity, unless the league re-organizes or extends the season. Last year we played the AFC North, this year its the West, next year it's the South, repeat.

k-oneputt
11-06-2014, 11:49 AM
So 3 out of the 4 AFC East teams have to make the trip to England to play next season.

And of course New England does not. How nice.

IlluminatusUIUC
11-06-2014, 11:57 AM
So 3 out of the 4 AFC East teams have to make the trip to England to play next season.

And of course New England does not. How nice.

New England has already been twice

Albany,n.y.
11-06-2014, 12:14 PM
Jacksonville agreed to go to London for 4 years (2013-2016), and we thought Bills in Toronto sucked.

trapezeus
11-06-2014, 12:42 PM
London Ontario?
JK, you think the NFL is trying to start a new revolutionary war. why the hell make people sit through bills/jags?

i bet it is late season game so that brandon can front load the bills season for sell outs (because he doesn't believe in having winning teams fill seats). this will nicely make the back 5 of our last 8 games on the road and one in england. i wonder why we can't get to the playoffs.

k-oneputt
11-06-2014, 12:48 PM
New England has already been twice

And which home game against a division team did the Pats give up again ?

IlluminatusUIUC
11-06-2014, 12:59 PM
And which home game against a division team did the Pats give up again ?

That's moving the goalposts. If you're going to complain that the rest of the AFC East is travelling to the UK and New England isn't, it's only fair to point out that they've already been twice and neither the Bills or Jets have ever been.

better days
11-06-2014, 01:25 PM
That's moving the goalposts. If you're going to complain that the rest of the AFC East is travelling to the UK and New England isn't, it's only fair to point out that they've already been twice and neither the Bills or Jets have ever been.

Well, the Bills have been playing in Toronto.

They have lost a home game all these years.

Yes by their choice, just as it is the Jags choice to play in London.

SpikedLemonade
11-06-2014, 01:30 PM

Does the Jags owner also get $78M in his pocket for 5 regular season and 3 pre-season games?

Nope.

What the Jags owner does get is an opportunity to see how viable London is just in case he wants to relocate there in the future.

IlluminatusUIUC
11-06-2014, 01:56 PM

Toronto doesn't entail a trans-continental flight for either team, and indeed I pointed out when we were bad mouthing the Toronto series that it was the only thing keeping us from London.

gr8slayer
11-06-2014, 02:49 PM
The only good thing about the Toronto game was that it exempted us from this charade.

And if the NFL is trying to grow their brand in England, a Bills-Jags game is a pretty poor way to do it. We have Sammy and a good DL but lack star power beyond that. The Jags are so dysfunctional that they make the Bills seem competent.
There's no hope for that whole project. America's Team is there this week, and the local radio stations are going around London with a microphone to talk to people about the game, most of them aren't even aware that the game is going on, and apparently there's been only one mention of the game in the local newspapers this week.

better days
11-06-2014, 02:51 PM
Does the Jags owner also get $78M in his pocket for 5 regular season and 3 pre-season games?

Nope.

What the Jags owner does get is an opportunity to see how viable London is just in case he wants to relocate there in the future.

It is also one less game he has to worry about selling tickets for in Jax & the London Stadium seats 90,000 people.

And the NFL fans go to the games in London, they sell out 90,000 seat Wembley stadium, unlike Toronto where they had to give tickets away & still couldn't fill that SMALL Stadium.

90,000 x 5 years The Jags owner will probably make more than $78 Mill in those 5 years.

better days
11-06-2014, 02:55 PM
Toronto doesn't entail a trans-continental flight for either team, and indeed I pointed out when we were bad mouthing the Toronto series that it was the only thing keeping us from London.

Big deal. My Brother inlaw works for the State dept.

He makes that trip all the time. And from farther distances than England in most cases.

djjimkelly
11-06-2014, 03:32 PM
i think an away game for the bills in london can bring nothing but good for international exposure.

im sure this AWAY game will generate a few million in buffalo bills merchandise.

id be pissed if this was a bills home game

IlluminatusUIUC
11-06-2014, 06:41 PM
Big deal. My Brother inlaw works for the State dept.

He makes that trip all the time. And from farther distances than England in most cases.

Your brother in law isn't playing pro football when he gets there. What a silly counter point.

Anyway deadspin.com reported the real reason teams are doing it: teams have to volunteer a home game to get consideration to host a super bowl.

Don't Panic
11-06-2014, 08:22 PM
the NFL should move to a 17 game season with each team playing 1 international game around the world. the game should be selected at random, lottery style--with the condition that it must be an out of conference game, and can't include the teams you play during the season.

Love this idea... been a fan of it for years. The NFL should cut to 3 preseasons too... same number of games but much better exposure. There's places here you could play too: LA, Tuscaloosa, Baton Rouge, San Antonio, Norman, Hawaii, Salt Lake City, Lincoln, Toronto, London, Berlin, Munich, Tokyo, Sydney, Mexico City and Beijing. Done deal!

alohabillsfan
11-07-2014, 05:31 AM
Yes I've traveled all over Europe and Eastern Asia, and it does suck a little. But my biggest concern as an owner coach would be ensuring you have the same medical abilities and facilities for lets say for conversation taking care of Romos back or any other injuries. I know they do have futbol (soccer) there and that magic spray that fixes all those World Cup injuries.

alohabillsfan
11-07-2014, 05:33 AM
Additionally, I'm excited because I will be going!

better days
11-07-2014, 05:38 AM
Your brother in law isn't playing pro football when he gets there. What a silly counter point.

Anyway deadspin.com reported the real reason teams are doing it: teams have to volunteer a home game to get consideration to host a super bowl.

The players don't play football when they get there either. They have as long as a week before the game in some cases.

And the players don't have to put up with a crying baby screaming in their ears for the entire flight either.

And the players are MUCH younger than my brother inlaw as well.

And Jax will NEVER host a Super Bowl again.

EricStratton
11-07-2014, 07:12 AM
The SuperBowl thing was also reported on ESPNRadio the other day.

To put in a bid to need to be willing to host a London game (Jax is an exception since they put together a 4 year agreement).

Also in cities that have trouble selling out (Miami, Jax, Atlanta) hosting a sure 90000 sellout and only needing to sell your fans 7 home games makes financial sense.

better days
11-07-2014, 07:25 AM
The SuperBowl thing was also reported on ESPNRadio the other day.

To put in a bid to need to be willing to host a London game (Jax is an exception since they put together a 4 year agreement).

Also in cities that have trouble selling out (Miami, Jax, Atlanta) hosting a sure 90000 sellout and only needing to sell your fans 7 home games makes financial sense.

And this is 2014, not 1927 & the players are not flying over there on the Spirit of St Louis but on a nice comfortable modern Jet.

And both teams have to fly over there as well.

And Jax is an exception because the only Super Bowl they hosted was a DISASTER.

Media from Tampa to Naples Fla *****ED about having to go to Jax to cover that game.

trapezeus
11-07-2014, 07:29 AM

Nope.

but he splits pound based revenues as opposed to getting nothing in his own stadium. he's getting paid dearly.

if an NFL ticket is $200 USD, they charge approximately 200GBP. That's a 50% increase for doing nothing. and the stadium is huge.
he's doing the same thing ralph did.

YardRat
11-07-2014, 09:58 AM

Actually, it got Ralph millions of dollars so he could hand out signing bonuses up front, and allow hundreds of millions of dollars to be left in a fund to spend on community projects in Buffalo and Detroit. If it isn't obvious to you by now, even with 20-20 hindsight available, that Ralph wasn't stuffing money into his mattress from the team than there is no hope for you.

trapezeus
11-07-2014, 04:07 PM
so who's going to try and attend? how far in advance do the tickets go on sale?