PDA

View Full Version : Orton or Hoyer?

ghz in pittsburgh
11-07-2014, 08:17 AM
Orton had his days in the sun before. Started right after being drafted.

Hoyer went undrafted, sat behind Brady, the drifted around a few years. Now finally getting a chance with Cleveland.

better days
11-07-2014, 08:19 AM
I just asked the same question in the Orton or Dalton thread.

I would take Hoyer myself.

ServoBillieves
11-07-2014, 08:22 AM
Orton.

better days
11-07-2014, 08:39 AM
Well, actually I asked Hoyer or Dalton.

I think I would go with Orton over Hoyer, but it would be a tough call.

The Beef
11-07-2014, 08:40 AM
Flip a coin. Hoyer can play, dude is like 9-3 in his last 12 starts and getting Josh Gordon back.

Cleveland has a tough choice to make at the end of this year. Especially if they win 10 games.

I'd lean slightly toward Hoyer, I think he'll continue to get better. He's not Brady, but he's Brady like with his physical skills, intangibles and results.

Don't get me wrong, I love what Kyle is doing right now. He's been clutch. 2 game winning drives in 3 wins. He's turned Chandler back into a functional piece of the offense, and more importantly gotten Sammy the ball, who has proven to be a game breaker.

I think both are/would be great fits in Buffalo.

Fletch
11-07-2014, 11:24 AM
Flip a coin. Hoyer can play, dude is like 9-3 in his last 12 starts and getting Josh Gordon back.

Cleveland has a tough choice to make at the end of this year. Especially if they win 10 games.

Not sure that the choice is all that tough. Manziel's not going anywhere, so if they re-sign Hoyer to start, I'm sure he would. They can have both for a few seasons. Manziel wouldn't like it.

Ed
11-07-2014, 11:30 AM
The Browns should just trade Manziel before anyone finds out he can't play.

Fletch
11-07-2014, 11:33 AM
The Browns should just trade Manziel before anyone finds out he can't play.

Starting to think that's the case myself. I'm sure that they can get a 1st from someone even if only the Raiders, Redskins, or Dallas. Wasn't Jones in love with Manziel?

trapezeus
11-07-2014, 11:41 AM
with romo's injury issues continuing and jerry jones somewhat infatuated and frustrated that he passed on manziel in the draft, i feel like the browns could just screw the cowboys, supremely.

which would be excellent news. i'm in the camp that johnny football is probably johnny college football and it doesn't translate well into consistent play as a pro.

k-oneputt
11-07-2014, 12:00 PM
Orton.

But if Swiper allows it I will take Brady or Manning.

swiper
11-07-2014, 04:13 PM
Orton or Hoyer?

I like them both.

Would rather have either over Dalton or Tannehill.

swiper
11-07-2014, 04:17 PM

How so? One QB is out there proving himself every week and the other hasn't. Seems easy that they should invest in Hoyer.

IlluminatusUIUC
11-07-2014, 04:41 PM
Hoyer is a local boy who's been making good, and he's only 29. Manziel is popular but not so much so that it would upturn a wining Browns team. Cleveland will never let Hoyer walk, but dealing Manziel to the Cowboys would be an interesting end to this story.

YardRat
11-07-2014, 04:51 PM
I still think the Browns should have passed on Manziel and taken Vontae Mack and Ray Jennings instead.

Generalissimus Gibby
11-07-2014, 04:55 PM
Jim Kelly. Seriously, I think Orton much like Hoyer or Fitzy is a capable backup whom in a pinch can spot your starter a game or three without losing too much. I predict that Hoyer is less than a month from being found out and then he is in for a bad december and an abysmal, but perhaps well paid, 2015.

IlluminatusUIUC
11-07-2014, 05:00 PM
I still think the Browns should have passed on Manziel and taken Vontae Mack and Ray Jennings instead.

I think they had Willis McGahee syndrome. A highly-touted player at a position of low need falls farther than most people anticipated and it throws the draft board out of whack.

YardRat
11-07-2014, 06:28 PM
I think they had Willis McGahee syndrome. A highly-touted player at a position of low need falls farther than most people anticipated and it throws the draft board out of whack.

I can't tell by your response if you 'got it', or not.

Mace
11-07-2014, 06:44 PM
Orton is a more experienced Hoyer with a better arm and less injury history. Hoyer is more mobile but if you remember we're the ones he went down against last year. Hoyer is 2 years younger than Orton with volumes of less experience, he's started 13 games in his career, Orton has started 74.

I don't know why people keep selling Orton so short, he isn't Peyton Manning but he's been a solid QB for his career and getting dorked over by Chicago with Rex Grossman and Denver with heh, Tebow and the gloriously terrible HC Josh McDaniels. I think Alex Smith was an upgrade over him in KC, but Dallas was stacked against him.

Let him play out good or bad, he's not Fitz.

better days
11-08-2014, 09:36 AM

McGahee fell in the draft because he was INJURED.

And he did not fall as far as he should have.

STUPID Bills.

tonyc37
11-08-2014, 11:54 AM
The big reason the Cowboys are winning this year is because they passed on Manziel and solidified their O-Line.

IlluminatusUIUC
11-08-2014, 01:10 PM
McGahee fell in the draft because he was INJURED.

And he did not fall as far as he should have.

STUPID Bills.

I think it's silly to ever take a halfback in the first round, but an injured halfback when we already had Travis Henry was inexcusable.

The big reason the Cowboys are winning this year is because they passed on Manziel and solidified their O-Line.

They've been quietly moving in that direction for a couple years. 3 first round olinemen in four years and suddenly they are crushing fools off the LOS and Murray is running wild.

swiper
11-08-2014, 03:53 PM
They've been quietly moving in that direction for a couple years. 3 first round olinemen in four years and suddenly they are crushing fools off the LOS and Murray is running wild.

I have to take this opportunity to say publically I was wrong about this guy, Zack Martin, the guard from Notre Dame. The Cowboys took him high - 16th overall in 2014. I didn't like him pre-draft. But he looks like a stud. Good pick-up there. Better than the 16th overall pick in 2013 definitely.

Mace
11-08-2014, 07:12 PM
I have to take this opportunity to say publically I was wrong about this guy, Zack Martin, the guard from Notre Dame. The Cowboys took him high - 16th overall in 2014. I didn't like him pre-draft. But he looks like a stud. Good pick-up there. Better than the 16th overall pick in 2013 definitely.

You and me both. I expected him to be an understrength journeyman.