Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • notacon
    • Aug 2012

The Realistic and True Metric of Orton - One of the Worst QB's in the League

It is so amusing to see Sparty try desperately to relive the QB arguments of a decade ago.

Simple stats that don't tell anywhere close to the full picture of a QB's worth are cherry picked to fit a favorite narrative. Orson sucks. He has always sucked. This elevation of this mediocre second string level QB is as destructive as it is amusing.

Pick a few stats and say that Orton is a "top 10" QB.

He's not even close.

The Passer rating is not an accurate measure of a QB's contribution to wins or his consistent quality play. There is a metric that has been developed expressly to measure the true worth of a QB's play.

It's called Total QB Rating, or QBR. Here is an explanation of what it means...

Guide to the Total Quarter Back Rating

The Total Quarterback Rating is a statistical measure that incorporates the contexts and details of those throws and what they mean for wins. It's built from the team level down to the quarterback, where we understand first what each play means to the team, then give credit to the quarterback for what happened on that play based on what he contributed.

At the team level, identifying what wins games is not revolutionary: scoring points and not allowing points. Back in the 1980s, "The Hidden Game of Football" did some pioneering work on that topic and on how yardage relates to points. We went back and updated what that book did … then we went further. At the individual level, more detailed information about what quarterbacks do is really necessary. Brian Burke at AdvancedNFLStats.com has done very good work in advancing that effort, and FootballOutsiders.com has done some of this by charting data, but, for the past three years, ESPN has charted football games in immense detail. By putting all these ideas together and incorporating division of credit, we have built a metric of quarterback value, the Total Quarterback Rating, Total QBR or QBR for short.

What follows is a summary of what goes into QBR. It took several thousand lines of code to implement, but we'll keep this shorter.

...snip...

Total QBR Basics

A quick primer on the fundamentals of Total Quarterback Rating:
    Scoring: 0-100, from low to high. An average QB would be at 50.

Win Probability: All QB plays are scored based on how much they contribute to a win. By determining expected point totals for almost any situation, Total QBR is able to apply points to a quarterback based on every type of play he would be involved in.

Dividing Credit: Total QBR factors in such things as overthrows, underthrows, yards after the catch and more to accurately determine how much a QB contributes to each play.

Clutch Index: How critical a certain play is based on when it happens in a game is factored into the score.
    This seems like a very accurate and reliable metric. It has been in place since 2006, and looking at each regular season, it does indeed, measure the true and realistic performance level of the NFL QB.

Orton's 2014 rating?

At the bottom of the league....#26.

Interesting too is looking back at every year. Buffalo QB's have ALL sucked since then. All below average. Losman, Edwards, Fitzpatrick, EJ and now Orton have ALL been at the bottom of the league. Orton has NEVER risen higher than #15 (in Denver 2011).

Highest Buffalo QB since 2006? Fitz, #18, 50.5. Every single Buffalo QB in the bottom half of the league. Many, like Orton, are in the bottom 25% of the league.

If Orton raises himself according to this metric and rating system, I will gladly eat my words.

Orton sucks. Any attempt to over state his quality is nonsense. Is he better than EJ? Well, slightly.

Orton is #26 with a rating of 46.1. Last year, EJ was ranked #23 with a rating of 42.3.

Go ahead and entertain your dreams of Orton making the Bills better. I don't buy it, and his true rating reflect that reality.
  • Night Train
    Retired - On Several Levels
    • Jul 2005

Re: The Realistic and True Metric of Orton - One of the Worst QB's in the League

You are a God among men.
    Anonymity is an abused privilege, abused most by people who mistake vitriol for wisdom and cynicism for wit

Comment

• BillsImpossible
      • Mar 2013

Re: The Realistic and True Metric of Orton - One of the Worst QB's in the League

Somebody please copy and paste this inside of Kyle Orton's locker.

Comment

• Dr. Lecter
        Zero for Zero!
        • Mar 2003

Simple stats don't show how good a QB is

So here is a stat to show how much Orton sucks!

Ummmmmmmmmm.......

Nottie - you are trying way too hard.

Can't you enjoy anything?
        Originally posted by mysticsoto
        Lecter is right in everything he said.

Comment

• ServoBillieves
          The Voice of Reason
          • Jul 2007

3-1 as the starter.

That's a statistic that proves he's awful.
          Bye Bye Brady...

Comment

• kingJofNYC
            • Sep 2009

QBR sucks too.

sample sizes are too small, you need more than a couple of years worth of data. Look at Foles, Kap, and Cutler 13 vs 14. Orton isn't a long term solution, but none of us need qbr to realize this.

Comment

• coastal
              Legendary Zoner
              • Mar 2005

What a homo

Comment

• justasportsfan
                • Jul 2002

Noty hates Orton as much as Sparty hates Losman.

This decease is spreading.
                sacrifice1
                https://theinterviewwithgod.com/video/

Comment

• notacon
                  • Aug 2012

Originally posted by Dr. Lecter View Post
                  Simple stats don't show how good a QB is

So here is a stat to show how much Orton sucks!

Ummmmmmmmmm.......

Nottie - you are trying way too hard.

Can't you enjoy anything?
                  Of course, the QBR is much more than "stats". It measures the meaning of each play.

No, I'm not "trying to hard", just stating the truth in a hope that the fans rise up and demand real QB so the Bills can succeed.

Originally posted by ServoBillieves View Post
                  3-1 as the starter.

Against some very bad teams, and with some very good luck. I have already made my prediction of this team doing no better than 7-9. Will you admit how much he sucks when that happens?

Originally posted by kingJofNYC View Post
                  QBR sucks too.

sample sizes are too small, you need more than a couple of years worth of data. Look at Foles, Kap, and Cutler 13 vs 14. Orton isn't a long term solution, but none of us need qbr to realize this.
                  Nonsense. The QBR is dead accurate. The best QB's are on the top of the list when they are playing well, and the worst QB's are always on the bottom of the list. No surprise that Buffalo QB's have been on the bottom of the list for the better part of a decade.

Originally posted by justasportsfan View Post
                  Noty hates Orton as much as Sparty hates Losman.

This decease is spreading.
                  I do not know Orton. Never met him, and he seems like a pretty nice guy. I have no reason to "hate" him (although it is obvious that Sparty DOES have an obsession over Losman....some of the psychological rants, and especially when he delved into his relationship with his mother was, and is, deeply perverse).

What I DO "hate" is losing. Losing for year after year after year. And I'm talking about the past 54 years. Not surprisingly, the only time the Bills were respected and had a chance of winning consistently is when we had a real, bonafide star NFL QB.

The excitement over this mediocre middling back-up on this board is what I "hate". Why? Because it makes the chances of the Bills doing what it takes to get a real, bonafide star NFL QB that much harder.

Make no mistake. Ownership listens to the fans. Right now, the message is that Orton is satisfactory....some are saying he's "good" and gives us a chance to get in the playoffs.

All nonsense, as the QBR lays out in stark detail and in an easy to consume number.

I HATE LOSING!!!! If you like 8-8 records as the pinnacle...then Orton is your guy. I'm not happy with 8-8.

Comment

• Novacane
                    • Jul 2002

Let the season play out. Then decide.

Comment

• Topas
                      German smartass
                      • Feb 2014

I like this rating:

In DVOA he is 21st. Given that we have no running game at all, actually I think this could be worse. And keep in mind, this is strength of schedule adjusted. So dont give me the: he played bad opponents argument.

So he is upper tier. But he had no training camp and he has no running game. So there is hope. I am happy for now. We have meaningful games in mid Nov. That is something new for me. But no doubt we need a long term solution. And even if we get 2-3 decent years out of Orton, we need to find his replacement next offseason.
                      But being the Bills we will give Orton three years, then realize that we need an upgrade and then jump the ship and overdraft a QB in a weak QB draft...

But to the OPs point. We will not win a Super Bowl with him. But for this year I would already be excited with only reaching the playoffs. And he most probably gives us the option of developing a QB on the bench behind him next year. So I take him for now.

Comment

• YardRat
                        Well, lookie here...
                        • Dec 2004

I have Orton's QBR figured out to approximately 3-1, which is pretty good so far. My results can be easily verified, but are, of course, subject to change as the season progresses.
                        YardRat Wall of Fame
                        #56 DARRYL TALLEY
                        #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

Comment

• jimmifli
                          • Nov 2006

Originally posted by notacon View Post
                          Nonsense. The QBR is dead accurate.
                          Totally agree. Otherwise you would come to conclusions like Charlie Batch going 12/17 for 186 yards, 3 TDs, and 2 INTs, as well as 5 rushes for 26 yards was not the greatest QB performance of all time.

Comment

• chris66
                            • Sep 2006

Originally posted by ServoBillieves View Post
                            3-1 as the starter.

Not really fitz would consistently have a good first 4-5 game start. Teams would have film and then he would fall apart. Ortons career is no different. There is a reason he was sitting on the couch before the Bills came calling

Comment

• Swiper
                              Legendary Zoner
                              • Sep 2010

Originally posted by coastal View Post
                              What a homo
                              Wow. You got three words out of coastie. He's really working hard to disprove you.

Comment

Working...
                              X