PDA

View Full Version : Stop treating Orton like an elite QB

ghz in pittsburgh
11-09-2014, 02:35 PM
I don't understand why they stopped running the ball in the 4th quarter. They were running left and right in the 3rd. Sure Brown fumbled. But he came back running hard.

They put the ball in Orton's hands like he's one who can win games on his own. With an injured Watkins no less.

justasportsfan
11-09-2014, 02:37 PM
Stupid thread title

Novacane
11-09-2014, 02:38 PM
Kyle Manning Brady Montana!

Crisis
11-09-2014, 02:39 PM
Stupid thread title

He threw 48 tunes with Brown and Dixon over 5 ypc.

It's stupid to everyone but Hackett.

Typ0
11-09-2014, 02:39 PM
I was quite frustrated with that four downs of passing when we were in scoring distance too. I don't think anyone has treated Orton like an elite QB though. The fact is Orton ferrets out how bad our QB productivity has truly been ...

ghz in pittsburgh
11-09-2014, 02:42 PM
No. There is a ground swelling in Buffalo like Orton is god. He's NOT.

I gave him credit that he took care of the ball today, not sack and stuff. But apparently they expect more from him.

Take the 2nd last offensive series. At the 15 yard line. No attempt to get another 1st down. Having Orton thrown 4 times. Not even close. The way he's playing today, I'd agree with the TV guy that kick a field goal then play for another field goal.

coastal
11-09-2014, 02:43 PM
The play calling on tgat series was atrocious

ghz in pittsburgh
11-09-2014, 02:45 PM
The field goal at 3rd quarter. What are they thinking? They ran the ball to get into that situation. And they started throw the next two times. Missed Watkins on the left, high to Woods.

HHURRICANE
11-09-2014, 02:55 PM
I don't understand why they stopped running the ball in the 4th quarter. They were running left and right in the 3rd. Sure Brown fumbled. But he came back running hard.

They put the ball in Orton's hands like he's one who can win games on his own. With an injured Watkins no less.

Dumbest thread ever.....

Orton did everything possible today. You've lost ur mind.

don137
11-09-2014, 02:57 PM
Orton is very serviceable. No one said he is elite. He is a middle of the road QB. With this defense an average QB can lead this team to the playoffs if they don't shoot themselves in their foot. Today the team shot themselves in their foot.

Bad play calling didn't help. Throwing the ball with second and two at the four yard twice and not playing for the first down was stupid.

justasportsfan
11-09-2014, 03:01 PM
I doubt Hackett thinks Orton is elite. They are just not confident about their running game

Novacane
11-09-2014, 03:03 PM
Dumbest thread ever.....

His accuracy was way off.

Fletch
11-09-2014, 03:09 PM
Dumbest thread ever.....

He was horrible in the red zone. Again.

The Jokeman
11-09-2014, 06:45 PM
No. There is a ground swelling in Buffalo like Orton is god. He's NOT.

I gave him credit that he took care of the ball today, not sack and stuff. But apparently they expect more from him.

Take the 2nd last offensive series. At the 15 yard line. No attempt to get another 1st down. Having Orton thrown 4 times. Not even close. The way he's playing today, I'd agree with the TV guy that kick a field goal then play for another field goal.

I disagree with going for the FG. Yet I do agree with the play calling inside the 15 once we missed the TD on 1st down we should have been making an effort to get the first down not get the TD.

Mace
11-09-2014, 07:04 PM
I can't blame Orton. If Brown doesn't fumble, it's 20-3. Next series, it's 23-3. If McKevin doesn't fumble later it's looking 23-10 or 23-13 with the game winding down, 26-16 maybe the last drives, 26-24 maybe if KC hangs tough.

swiper
11-09-2014, 07:08 PM
Blame can be spread around, but the play calling was, again, suspect.

sudzy
11-09-2014, 07:08 PM
Never thought Orton was great. He's the best we could get after the EJ fiasco. He's a band-aid. He'll have to do while the search for the QB of the future continues.

The Jokeman
11-09-2014, 07:17 PM
Never thought Orton was great. He's the best we could get after the EJ fiasco. He's a band-aid. He'll have to do while the search for the QB of the future continues.

The problem is the Bills have other weaknesses outside of QB on offense. Namely the O-line and to a degree our receivers as a whole. Yes, Sammy might be a true number 1 but Chandler is not a starting TE in my eyes and I wonder where the Robert Woods we saw from a year ago has disappeared to? Hogan's been an okay #3 but we really don't have a guy to count on that can get 5-7 catches and 80 yards week in week out. Maybe Woods puts things together next year and becomes a true #2, maybe we can try and get Jordan Cameron and/or Julius Thomas as UFA and maybe we can shore up the O-line. Then maybe Orton will be better or maybe we can let EJ or a QB we draft in Round 3 or 4. Yet I worry about losing Hughes and Spiles as an UFAs which will hurt our D which to me the biggest reason we're even in the playoff discussion.

X-Era
11-09-2014, 07:19 PM
Orton is very serviceable. No one said he is elite. He is a middle of the road QB. With this defense an average QB can lead this team to the playoffs if they don't shoot themselves in their foot. Today the team shot themselves in their foot.

Bad play calling didn't help. Throwing the ball with second and two at the four yard twice and not playing for the first down was stupid.
At the start of the game I was saying that Orton isn't our future but he's doing enough to win now. Well, that changed...

That redzone trip after the Brown fumble was bad. And after that any chance we had seemed to evaporate. He was bad after that.

No, the loss wasn't solely on him. But, he didn't help the cause in the 3rd and 4th qtr.

X-Era
11-09-2014, 07:21 PM
The problem is the Bills have other weaknesses outside of QB on offense. Namely the O-line and to a degree our receivers as a whole. Yes, Sammy might be a true number 1 but Chandler is not a starting TE in my eyes and I wonder where the Robert Woods we saw from a year ago has disappeared to? Hogan's been an okay #3 but we really don't have a guy to count on that can get 5-7 catches and 80 yards week in week out. Maybe Woods puts things together next year and becomes a true #2, maybe we can try and get Jordan Cameron and/or Julius Thomas as UFA and maybe we can shore up the O-line. Then maybe Orton will be better or maybe we can let EJ or a QB we draft in Round 3 or 4. Yet I worry about losing Hughes and Spiles as an UFAs which will hurt our D which to me the biggest reason we're even in the playoff discussion.
I'm a Bryce Petty fan. He's projected to be a 3rd rounder by some. I like his accuracy and arm strength.

psubills62
11-09-2014, 07:21 PM
Orton isn't elite, didn't think anyone was treating him as such. IMO he did enough to win the game. The turnovers were the issue. Cost us too many points. WR's also had some drops in the first half, showed up better in the 3rd quarter. Didn't actually get to see the 4th quarter except on ESPN gamecast, so that could easily be affecting my view.

The Jokeman
11-09-2014, 07:26 PM
I'm a Bryce Petty fan. He's projected to be a 3rd rounder by some. I like his accuracy and arm strength.

I question his accuracy and I think he'd be available in Round 5 quite frankly.

X-Era
11-09-2014, 08:27 PM
I question his accuracy and I think he'd be available in Round 5 quite frankly.Some do. I think decision making is his biggest question mark. He delivers the ball with solid spiral and velocity IMO. He's a baller.

ghz in pittsburgh
11-10-2014, 02:04 PM
Orton isn't elite, didn't think anyone was treating him as such. IMO he did enough to win the game. The turnovers were the issue. Cost us too many points. WR's also had some drops in the first half, showed up better in the 3rd quarter. Didn't actually get to see the 4th quarter except on ESPN gamecast, so that could easily be affecting my view.

Well then, you missed the part that is most frustrating with me.

QTR 1: Orton came out hot. Probably the best offensive player on the Bills team (the whole field for that matter).
QTR 2: In the past 4 games, it has been the trouble spot for Orton. But he did the careful thing, not forcing the ball and threw to the ground to avoid sacks a few times. I think they played safe following the fumble recovery. Would like to be more agressive but considering the history, OK.
QTR 3: The Bills made adjustments and was able to run the ball on them. They had two chances to put the game away. Brown's fumble is one. Then they run the ball down to 4 yard line and Orton started to throw inaccurate balls. I don't know what call is made but for sure Orton had the freedom to make adjustments. The Chiefs were on their heels because of Brown, Boobie and Jackson. In the meantime, Watkins is not himself. 2nd and 2 from the 4 yard line. For an average QB like Orton, Smith. You run the ball.
QTR 4: You missed out where the entire offensive went into one dimentional. I don't think they run the ball more than 3 times and it's not like they were trailing the entire time. Get down to 15 yard line. Not even once attempted to make the 1st down. Again considering the health of Watkins. Of the 4 passes from 15. 1st one wrong shoulder to Watkins, somewhat close. 2nd one not even close to Hogan. 3rd one off target to Woods. 4th one not even close to Watkins while Chandler is open at the 1st down marker.

Orton is a veteran, not EJ. The coaching staff should have a pulse of the team as well. In that situation, you have 2 and half minutes left and all 3 timeouts left. Making 1st down should be the #1 goal there. There were plenty of chance of something in the middle, whcih they can leak Brown into (and was successful earlier). Running the ball is not out of question either.

If Andy reid were on our sideline, I guarantee you it won't be 4 shots to end zone in that situation. If it were Brady or Rogers at QB, it would be some easy route to the middle to start from the 15. Unfortunately, the Bills have neither. The Bills have Orton. Putting the balls up 48 times against a good team? I said it before and will say it again. Don't rely on Orton as if he's an elite QB (asking him to throw, throw, throw).