PDA

View Full Version : Chris "4th and 1" Hogan

IlluminatusUIUC
11-09-2014, 06:11 PM
I noticed Hogan ran 17 yard out on 3rd and 18, setting up a completely absurd punt by Doug Marrone with 7 minutes left, and I seemed to recall him doing that a lot. So I looked it up:

Hogan vs. Jets
~13min in teh 3rd quarter, 3rd and 15, Hogan goes for 14 yards. Result - Punt

Hogan vs. Vikings
~9min in the 1st, 3rd and 11, Hogan goes for 10 yards and fumbles while fighting for the final yard.
~13min in the 3rd, 3rd and 6, Hogan goes for 5. Result - Punt

Hogan vs. Lions
~4min in the 1st, 3rd and 7, Hogan goes for 6 yards. Result - Punt

I'm starting to come around to Hogan as an option in the pass game, but for a guy who's appeared in 6 games to stall 5 drives single-handedly by running his routes too short is a serious failure of coaching (and Orton deserves fault for repeatedly going to him in those situations). The guy is not going to juke or bowl anyone over for that final yard, he needs to catch the first down. Its these little things that separate winning from losing. Just think back to the Patriots running exact routes on third down when they beat us.

Novacane
11-09-2014, 06:36 PM
That should be easily fixable by the coach's.

swiper
11-09-2014, 06:41 PM
He's always a yard too short.

YardRat
11-09-2014, 08:14 PM
IMO it's Hogan's fault, not the coaches, if that really is the case. He has to get to the sticks on the field. Unless, of course, the coaches are telling him to cut his routes a yard short, which would be kind of incredulous.

Novacane
11-09-2014, 08:17 PM
IMO it's Hogan's fault, not the coaches, if that really is the case. He has to get to the sticks on the field. Unless, of course, the coaches are telling him to cut his routes a yard short, which would be kind of incredulous.

I wasn't blaming the coachs. Just saying it should be easy to fix. Tell him to start running his routes past the stick. If he doesn't listen he doesn't get the ball on 3rd down.

chernobylwraiths
11-09-2014, 08:20 PM
His route was a timing play that was thrown at like 15 yards and he has to try to make up the rest. He didn't run a short route, it was designed that way. Not too many plays that get 18 plus yards, but there are plenty where the guy is allowed to catch a ball about 5 yards short and the players has to try to make a play. He was a yard short.

justasportsfan
11-09-2014, 09:11 PM
I agree. Against the vikes Hogan was 2 yards short of the enzone too. Oh wait.:D

RedEyE
11-10-2014, 05:06 AM
He doesn't have the talent period. He shouldn't even be running with the first team. I don't know what is going on in the locker room behind the scene but its obvious Mike Williams is in the dog house.

IlluminatusUIUC
11-10-2014, 12:23 PM
His route was a timing play that was thrown at like 15 yards and he has to try to make up the rest. He didn't run a short route, it was designed that way. Not too many plays that get 18 plus yards, but there are plenty where the guy is allowed to catch a ball about 5 yards short and the players has to try to make a play. He was a yard short.

If the coach is running designed plays short of the sticks on 3rd down, then it's definitely a coaching problem. Either call a play to pick up the first or be prepared to go for it on 4th down. Counting on Hogan to gain YAC is horrible strategy.

kingJofNYC
11-10-2014, 12:32 PM
Robert Woods needs more targets, period. He can get the job done, he's shifty too and usually gains a couple of yards after the catch. Feel like we don't use him enough.

bf1
11-10-2014, 02:29 PM
I've noticed this too. He has to improve on his feel for where the sticks are.

Historian
11-10-2014, 02:47 PM
They love his "high motor"