PDA

View Full Version : Is Bryce Brown the answer for CJ

don137
11-10-2014, 06:58 AM
Connecting the dots one can piece together that the Bills not resign Spiller and Bryce Brown will replace him. I didn't know a lot of Brown before he was traded to Buffalo but from what I read the knock on him was he is fumble prone.

I know their was a lot of mistakes in the Bills-Chiefs game but that Brown fumble cost them the game. Instead of going up 17-3 The wheels fell off after that fumble and I believe that fumble cost the Bills the game.

Nothing can turn momentum like a turnover. Given the label he had coming here and the fumble yesterday I worry this will not be the last time he costs the Bills the game. I rather cut our losses and get rid of him at end of season. RBs are a dime a dozen and I rather not have a RB that has a reputation coughs up the ball.

Albany,n.y.
11-10-2014, 07:02 AM
It was the combination of the Brown & McKelvin fumbles that cost the Bills the game, not Brown's alone. The Bills were still ahead when McKelvin fumbled, so really his fumble was worse because it led to the winning TD, but Brown clearly has to share in the blame.

Novacane
11-10-2014, 07:09 AM
I'd get someone else too. I don't want a rb who fumbles.

Fletch
11-10-2014, 07:53 AM
Lotsa people preaching here about how Brown was our RB of the future prior to the season and after we traded for him.

coastal
11-10-2014, 08:24 AM
Yes

RedEyE
11-10-2014, 08:27 AM
I give Brown a mulligan on the fumble (even though that was the one complaint about him from Eagles fans). Mckelvin on the other hand, this has become an epidemic. And why on Earth is he still returning kicks? We don't have a young CB or WR that can do this job? McKelvin has a hard enough time keeping up on defense let alone STs.

Fletch
11-10-2014, 08:29 AM
Brown is averaging 3.6 ypc, has only one 3rd-down carry, and hasn't shown a thing.

So far Philly got the better in that deal.

Who knows, maybe he'll explode the rest of the season, not sure who would put money on that happening though.

Uncle Jesse
11-10-2014, 08:46 AM
He looked good besides the obvious fumble, it was only his 2nd game. Once he gets more reps and stuff I'm sure he'll be fine. RBs are generally a dime a dozen and you can find them lots of places. If only we had a decent OL. That would help any RB we have.

streetkings01
11-10-2014, 09:08 AM
Outside of that fumble which was huge he actually looked pretty good. He looks like a complete back......can run and catch.

streetkings01
11-10-2014, 09:12 AM
Brown is averaging 3.6 ypc, has only one 3rd-down carry, and hasn't shown a thing.

So far Philly got the better in that deal.

Who knows, maybe he'll explode the rest of the season, not sure who would put money on that happening though.When you add in the Jets game of course his yards per carry looks pedestrian. He avg 5 ypc yesterday and 10.8 ypr........he had 100 total yards on 13 touches. I think thats the anger from yesterdays meltdown clouding your judgement........Brown had a good day yesterday.

Fletch
11-10-2014, 09:56 AM
When you add in the Jets game of course his yards per carry looks pedestrian. He avg 5 ypc yesterday and 10.8 ypr........he had 100 total yards on 13 touches. I think thats the anger from yesterdays meltdown clouding your judgement........Brown had a good day yesterday.

I have no anger from yesterday's meltdown, I'm looking at it purely objectively. I was referring to him as a rusher. We're set for receivers whether they come out of the backfield or not. If you ask me we throw far too much to our RBs as it is given our WRs.

Our top two WRs haven't even crossed the 1K mark combined. How many teams are left saying that. Maybe that factors into our red zone issues.

I don't know why yards come seemingly easy but RZ production rates dead last in the NFL now. We had more passing yards against KC yesterday than any team they've played this season including Denver, NE, and SD.

Thurmal
11-10-2014, 09:59 AM
Half the people on this board were happy CJ got hurt b/c they actually thought Brown was the better player. People that weren't completely delusional knew better and were proved right when he lost the game yesterday.

Forward_Lateral
11-10-2014, 10:01 AM
It was the combination of the Brown & McKelvin fumbles that cost the Bills the game, not Brown's alone. The Bills were still ahead when McKelvin fumbled, so really his fumble was worse because it led to the winning TD, but Brown clearly has to share in the blame.

Brown's hurt more than McKelvin's. Brown's was 7 points for the Bills. Would've completely changed the game.

djjimkelly
11-10-2014, 10:07 AM
i think this team should resign the ageless freddie jackson and get 2 new rbs to go with him.

1 from draft in 3rd or 4th round solid rbs drop to here in the modern draft. and one free agent that we know can pass block and so on .

djjimkelly
11-10-2014, 10:35 AM
Half the people on this board were happy CJ got hurt b/c they actually thought Brown was the better player. People that weren't completely delusional knew better and were proved right when he lost the game yesterday.

hated the spiller pick when it happened but i have liked him alot as a player sine he got here. he is the best rb on this roster and its a damn shame he is hurt, but hes no bell cow we'd be better off if he was healthy but he isnt the rb of the future let alone 2015

chernobylwraiths
11-10-2014, 10:59 AM
point of order

After Brown's fumble, we STILL lead 10 - 3
KC punted in the ensuing possesion
The Bills drove down and had 2nd and 2 from the 3 and only came away with 3 points. Score THAT TD and it is also a different game. So anyone who says the fumble changed momentum does NOT know the facts.

- - - Updated - - -

And I think Brown could be our every down back (or two thirds downs) for the next 5 years at least. The Bills have other holes to fill without worrying about RB.

Bellowing4DaBills
11-10-2014, 11:47 AM
I thought he showed nfl calibre power bursts and vision. But no matter the talent, you will never be a featured NFL RB if you continuously carry the rock as loosely as Brown has.

Mr. Pink
11-10-2014, 12:05 PM
A team can roll with Bryce Brown as the second string RB on the roster.

Problem is Fred is seemingly becoming brittle getting nicked up repeatedly lately and I don't think you can count on him being the first string back next year.

Which means, a running back of some sort will need to be brought in to take the majority of the carries next year.

HAMMER
11-10-2014, 12:20 PM
Brown got stripped from behind, it happens. He showed some serious burst on that run as well as his catches in the flat. He looked better than Spiller to me and I do believe they move forward with him as their primary back.

We could win the Super Bowl and some people here would still be *****ing. "Well if you take away the turnovers we would have lost the game", "We got beat in every facet except score, we had no right to win that game". Blah, blah, blah. Take your agenda to another board or find another team, in the interim, please go play in traffic.

Fletch
11-10-2014, 12:25 PM
Problem is Fred is seemingly becoming brittle getting nicked up repeatedly lately and I don't think you can count on him being the first string back next year.

We can't rely on him as the 1st-string back this year. Many people thought that age wouldn't impact Jackson like it does all players but they were wrong, it has impacted him. He gets hurt more frequently and clearly isn't the same RB that he's been in past years.

The FO should have planned better. Now we're standing here with our pants down in that department.

HAMMER
11-10-2014, 12:30 PM
We can't rely on him as the 1st-string back this year. Many people thought that age wouldn't impact Jackson like it does all players but they were wrong, it has impacted him. He gets hurt more frequently and clearly isn't the same RB that he's been in past years.

The FO should have planned better. Now we're standing here with our pants down in that department.

This is just dumb and a clear attempt to further your anti-Whaley agenda. The FO went out and got two very solid backs in Dixon and Brown in addition to already having FredEx and Spiller. How is that pants down? The depth of our backfield is the least of our issues.

Fletch
11-10-2014, 12:35 PM
The depth of our backfield is the least of our issues.

It is huh?

OK

CoolBreeze
11-10-2014, 12:42 PM

Fred is fine, he looks no different to me. He runs hards, makes tacklers miss. So he gets hurt every now and then, what RB doesn't. He's still a beast, he pulled off a nice spin yesterday as well with a hurt groin. Don't forget either besides his broken leg a few years back when he gets injuried he usually stumps doctors and beats his return time table by weeks. Go back and watch the OT drive against the bears, and then tell me he can't be our 1st string back. Jackson is a monster.

Ed
11-10-2014, 12:43 PM
The fumble was obviously a major turning point in the game, but you have to give a lot of credit to the defensive player for causing the fumble. He timed it perfectly and tomahawked it as hard as he could. I would think that most RB's would have fumbled that ball. It's a shame it had to happen because it was a great run, and it would have been great if Chandler could have just recovered it in the endzone, but overall I thought Brown looked pretty good. He looked fast and he was great in the passing game picking up first downs on every dump off.

I don't have any issue with Brown specifically, just frustrated as hell with the game in general.

Fletch
11-10-2014, 12:58 PM
Fred is fine, he looks no different to me. He runs hards, makes tacklers miss. So he gets hurt every now and then, what RB doesn't. He's still a beast, he pulled off a nice spin yesterday as well with a hurt groin. Don't forget either besides his broken leg a few years back when he gets injuried he usually stumps doctors and beats his return time table by weeks. Go back and watch the OT drive against the bears, and then tell me he can't be our 1st string back. Jackson is a monster.

Well, OK, we can disagree, but there's a reason why he doesn't have 700 rushing yards on 4.5+ yards per carry today. It's age. He might be fine as a 33-year old RB but he's not fine as a bell cow RB anymore. He's also not as good on 3rd-downs as he used to be.

I love Jackson as a player, but he's finished. His primary role is as a receiver now, his rushing performance since our first game has been pedestrian.

I'm not sure that we really need receivers out of the backfield all that much, seems like that's all we get from our backfield.

YardRat
11-10-2014, 06:34 PM
Good pick up by Whaley regardless of yesterday's fumble, as well as Dixon. As far as Brown vs CJ, how many carries did Brown lose yardage on yesterday after failing to hit the hole, and/or trying to stretch wide and running out of bounds? There's your answer. As far as fumbling in general, CJ has 13 in 69 games, Brown 5 in 34. CJ fumbles once for every 62 touches, Brown every 46.

I've certainly been critical of Spiller and never believed he was an every down back from the beginning, or the 'threat to score every time he touched the ball', and that's pretty much been proven, but I'd be willing to sign CJ to a reasonable 2 or 3 year contract to keep him around. However, that would be under the conditions of A)Brown replaces CJ as #2 behing FJax, and CJ is forced to learn the slot receiver responsibilities and plug him in more at WR than RB. I could live with suiting up FJ, Brown, Boobie, Watkins, Woods, Spiller, Hogan, Goodwin or Williams and another addition at WR every Sunday. Three RB's, four/five WR's and a hybrid would be a good mix.

Mace
11-10-2014, 07:27 PM
I really don't think NFL teams ever have to worry about finding running backs or loading up on them.

paladin warrior
11-10-2014, 08:47 PM
Next year cut Bryce Brown .

HAMMER
11-10-2014, 09:23 PM
Brown will be our primary back before this season ends.

djjimkelly
11-10-2014, 09:43 PM
I really don't think NFL teams ever have to worry about finding running backs or loading up on them.

in todays nfl and they way the draft goes a solid starting rb can come from late 2nd to 4th round

ublinkwescore
11-10-2014, 09:47 PM

I will take a bowl of whatever you're smoking.