X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Forward_Lateral
    • Mar 2004

2 things and 2 things only cost the Bills a victory

1.) The Brown fumble in through the endzone. Would've sealed the victory, IMO.

2.) McKelvin's fumble. The Chiefs couldn't move the ball worth a damn vs the Bills D. Leodis should've been instructed to fair catch the ball at that point in the game.

Please stop blaming Orton. Yeah he missed some reads and throws, but if those two careless mistakes don't happen, the Bills win handily.

I'm just as pissed as the next guy that they pissed that game away, but Orton was not the reason they lost. Far from it.
  • DraftBoy
    Administrator
    • Jul 2002

Re: 2 things and 2 things only cost the Bills a victory

So the fumbles your categorizing as "careless" but just plain missing reads and throws is excusable? I get it that Orton is the best QB we've had since the Reagan Administration but that doesn't make him immune from criticism. He wasn't good on Sunday and shoulders as much of the blame as other players do.
    COMING SOON...
    Originally posted by Dr.Lecter
    We were both drunk and Hillary did not look that bad at 2 AM, I swear!!!!!!

Comment

• DesertFox24
      • Jul 2005

Forward I said the same thing to my wife after the game.

All Chandler had to do was just fall on it.

Even with those missed points had McKelvin not fumbled we win the game.

Look it is what it is.

There were some positives from the game though.

The OL did a great job in protection and run blocking I thought they are getting better and better, and that was against one of the best pass rushing teams in the NFL, and a great run defense.

The Defense is just unbelievable.

Bryce Brown looks like he will be our starter next year and that is another check mark for Whaley. Yes it was one game and I want to see more, but he hits the hole hard and keeps going like Fred.

Orton is not Tom Brady but he is way better than Fitz was, and Fitz was the last competent QB we had since Bledsoe.

That being said if Orton stays next season, and they extend Dareus and Hughes I think we could have a great team next year and compete against the pats for the division.

We all knew we were a wild card team this year, but if the above happens the division is something we have a legit shot at.

This season is not over by a long shot though.

I agree with what Joe B and a lot of people said the Bills needed to go 1-1 against the Chiefs and Phins, if they can beat the phins on Thursday we are 6-4 and still in this.

The AFC North and West are going to battle each other and 9-7 is a long shot to get in and would probably come down to division and AFC record as a tie breaker. I think 10 wins gets us in.

Comment

• DesertFox24
        • Jul 2005

I agree Orton made some mistakes at the end, and I thought we should have run on 2nd down. 4th down should have been to get the first down not win.

All that aside if Orton hits Hogan on the third down play and we win no one is discussing this.

All that this means is the Bills need to win the next 3 no choice. Then they have to win at Oakland and then beat one of the broncos, pats, packers to get in.

To be honest this is great because we will see if this team is truly different under Marrone and has changed the culture. They win the next 3, they may have.

Losing on Thursday puts a nail in the coffin however.

Comment

• Forward_Lateral
          • Mar 2004

Originally posted by DraftBoy View Post
          So the fumbles your categorizing as "careless" but just plain missing reads and throws is excusable? I get it that Orton is the best QB we've had since the Reagan Administration but that doesn't make him immune from criticism. He wasn't good on Sunday and shoulders as much of the blame as other players do.
          Yeah he didn't play his best game, but he didn't fumble a sure TD through the back of the endzone. I'm not saying he doesn't deserve blame, but I came here yesterday and saw about 20 threads saying he sucks and EJ needs to be back starting. It's depressing enough watching them blow a game they dominated, coming here after a loss was a huge mistake. I'll admit that.

Also, why the fudge were all 4 attempts from the 15 thrown into the endzone? Why not try to pick up a first down? They were gaining 5 yards almost every time they ran the ball up to that point. Or hey, why not throw another screen to Brown. Or a shuffle pass.

Playcalling or Orton, or both need to answer for that cluster bleep.

Comment

• feldspar
            • Mar 2007

I think there is no doubt the Bills win this game had those two fumbles not happened. They would have won if ONE of them didn't happen. Both were unbelievably hard to stomach...completely careless ball-security after the Bills were stressing that point. I also agree that the playcalling was inexplicable when the Bills had a chance to go ahead at the Chiefs' 15-yardline: 4 throws into the endzone? Could not believe they didn't run the ball there at least twice in that spot. They were in prime position near the end, and Kansas City has been pretty weak against the run...not to mention the issue of the Bills running out the clock before a score. Apparently, Hackett forgot about the concept of situational football in this case.

There were also little things that aren't as memorable, but were just as costly. The refs called a pretty Chiefs-friendly game. Like the BS unnecessary roughness call on Aaron Williams when he barely grazed Alex Smith while he was sliding. That was on 3rd down, and it extended the Chiefs' drive...the refs just basically gave the Chiefs 3 points as far as I'm concerned. Without those 3 points, the Chiefs likely lose the game, all things being equal.

Orton did not lose this game for the Bills, but he could have won it. I don't blame him as much as I blame other things way more. Calling for EJ to come into the game is just plain old bat**** crazy. There was this play though. Orton is going to kick himself when he sees this, which happened earlier in the 4th-quarter. Hogan was wide-open with some serious real estate in front of him:

Comment

• trapezeus
              Legendary Zoner
              • Oct 2004

i've said it before, and i'll say it again. chandler is the romo of TE. Some games he has it. others he sucks. no one was on him. he had 3-4 yards until the back of the endzone. he should have had that ball.

Comment

• Mr. Pink
                Peterman Sucks!
                • Mar 2006

Or if Orton hit Woods or Chandler on crossing routes in the red zone cost the Bills a victory.

Combine the fumble by Brown into that and it's 21 points on the scoreboard instead of the 6 they got out of it.

Orton is just as much to blame as the two fumbles as all 4 plays cost or led directly to KC points.

Comment

• better days
                  • Jan 2010

Orton might not have lost the game, but he did nothing to win it either.

He is who I thought he was, nothing more than mediocre.

Comment

• trapezeus
                    Legendary Zoner
                    • Oct 2004

the orton issues are bigger what ifs. the fumbles actually were the play. you either fumble and turn momentum or you hold on and we score or we burn more clock and play the Field position game.

the fumbles did us in combined with chandler's inability to be mediocre all the time.

Comment

• Mr. Pink
                      Peterman Sucks!
                      • Mar 2006

Originally posted by trapezeus View Post
                      the orton issues are bigger what ifs. the fumbles actually were the play. you either fumble and turn momentum or you hold on and we score or we burn more clock and play the Field position game.

the fumbles did us in combined with chandler's inability to be mediocre all the time.
                      Fumbles are what ifs too.

There's no guarantee that Brown goes in on that play, he could have been down on the one yard line and the team could have been stopped and held to 3 or went on 4th and got stopped. The Leodis fumble, there could have been a turnover the next play or a 3 and out and the Chiefs drove the field and scored anyway.

Chandler and Woods were both open and Orton missed them.

They are all coulda, shoulda and wouldas. Each contributed to the loss equally.

Comment

• Forward_Lateral
                        • Mar 2004

Originally posted by Mr. Pink View Post
                        Fumbles are what ifs too.

There's no guarantee that Brown goes in on that play, he could have been down on the one yard line and the team could have been stopped and held to 3 or went on 4th and got stopped. The Leodis fumble, there could have been a turnover the next play or a 3 and out and the Chiefs drove the field and scored anyway.

Chandler and Woods were both open and Orton missed them.

They are all coulda, shoulda and wouldas. Each contributed to the loss equally.
                        What. It was 100% GUARANTEED that Brown was scoring a TD on the play, unless a meteor fell from the sky and blew up the endzone. If you don't think he was scoring for sure, you are a complete and total buffoon.

Comment

• Mr. Pink
                          Peterman Sucks!
                          • Mar 2006

Originally posted by Forward_Lateral View Post
                          What. It was 100% GUARANTEED that Brown was scoring a TD on the play, unless a meteor fell from the sky and blew up the endzone. If you don't think he was scoring for sure, you are a complete and total buffoon.
                          He was on the 3 with 3 KC players around him. The KC player went for the strip and not the tackle and guessed right. He goes for the tackle instead there's no guarantee Brown goes in to score dragging the defender in with him or breaking the tackle.

Comment

• Typ0
                            honey pie
                            • Jul 2002

There are little things that I would want to hold coaches accountable for too ... but at the end of the day even with Orton having one of his worst games we outplayed KC up and down the field. The difference in the game was the two fumbles. You don't give away TDs when you are having trouble scoring them and expect to win. Orton had to again perform like an elite QB we all know he isn't in order to overcome those mistakes.

Comment

• better days
                              • Jan 2010

Originally posted by Mr. Pink View Post
                              He was on the 3 with 3 KC players around him. The KC player went for the strip and not the tackle and guessed right. He goes for the tackle instead there's no guarantee Brown goes in to score dragging the defender in with him or breaking the tackle.
                              The defender got his hand on the ball, he was not in position to tackle Brown.

And nobody else was either.

Comment

Working...
                              X