PDA

View Full Version : Fire Doug. Whaley.

paladin warrior
11-13-2014, 09:54 PM
Marrone-is a stubborn and Bring back Wade Phillips...

SpikedLemonade
11-13-2014, 09:55 PM
Let's go for 8-8 so Marrone and Hackett can keep their jobs.

Mace
11-13-2014, 09:55 PM

Just stop that.

YardRat
11-13-2014, 09:56 PM
Whaley isn't the problem, but the coaching on the offensive side sure is.

SpikedLemonade
11-13-2014, 09:59 PM
Just stop that.

It angers you doesn't it?

Do you want to know why?

Because you know that if the Bills do end up 8-8, the low expectation community of Buffalo will see that as a victory.

When your proudest sports moments of the past 45 years is to lose 4 straight SBs and lost a Stanley Cup Finals by a toe, you are just glad there still are pro sports teams in Buffalo.

Have a safe winter!!

psubills62
11-13-2014, 10:00 PM
I'd blame the coaches at this point before Whaley. It was obvious on most replays that Miami knew what we were doing, what routes we were running. Too predictable for my liking. The plays themselves aren't inherently bad, but if the opponents know what's coming, that's on the offensive coaching to adjust.

paladin warrior
11-13-2014, 10:00 PM
It not going work . this year will be 6-10 .

Mace
11-13-2014, 10:57 PM
Whaley isn't the problem, but the coaching on the offensive side sure is.

Whaley is a good chunk of the problem, he figured we were just a Sammy Watkins from glory and blew a number one pick next year on it, sure Manuel was fine and well covered with Tuel and Lewis. He trusted Marrone into Downing and not Urbik, and not Williams and more Watkins who I don't see breaking open many games. He looks a lot like a guy with statement hair who has no statement he can make. He added Brown who rode the pines forever, and who trades for a running back anyway ?

So next year if he's out on the street, though he won't be landing a cushy assistant something job in personnel or scouting with Pittsburgh, we have no number 1 pick while his lazily casual ass enjoys his new desk and sets up his fresh Windows desktop and buys a fresh expensive spiffy tie and some sweet smelling hair products and fades back into the background where he belongs, sure he had the cojones to pull off a blockbuster trade that gained us nothing whatever.

He's a huge chunk of the problem.

Mace
11-13-2014, 11:00 PM

Do you want to know why?

Because you know that if the Bills do end up 8-8, the low expectation community of Buffalo will see that as a victory.

When your proudest sports moments of the past 45 years is to lose 4 straight SBs and lost a Stanley Cup Finals by a toe, you are just glad there still are pro sports teams in Buffalo.

Have a safe winter!!

It angers me more, and I know why, because they continue to be unable to get past middlin.

And yes, I'm plenty happy there are still pro sports teams in Buffalo, how many do you have where you are Spiked ? I mean seriously ?

I hope your winter goes well also.

feldspar
11-13-2014, 11:12 PM
Whaley is a good chunk of the problem, he figured we were just a Sammy Watkins from glory and blew a number one pick next year on it, sure Manuel was fine and well covered with Tuel and Lewis. He trusted Marrone into Downing and not Urbik, and not Williams and more Watkins who I don't see breaking open many games. He looks a lot like a guy with statement hair who has no statement he can make. He added Brown who rode the pines forever, and who trades for a running back anyway ?

So next year if he's out on the street, though he won't be landing a cushy assistant something job in personnel or scouting with Pittsburgh, we have no number 1 pick while his lazily casual ass enjoys his new desk and sets up his fresh Windows desktop and buys a fresh expensive spiffy tie and some sweet smelling hair products and fades back into the background where he belongs, sure he had the cojones to pull off a blockbuster trade that gained us nothing whatever.

He's a huge chunk of the problem.

This is the thing that gets me about a lot of Bills fans, Mace. Like I said in the other thread, the Bills have had ELEVEN first-round draft picks in the past nine years. Most were pretty high picks in the first-round. How did all that go? What makes you think that having another first-round draft pick next year is going to make all that much difference, considering what's happened in the past decade?

The fact remains that the Bills need a quarterback. You have one of those, and everybody else automatically looks a lot smarter.

I still think that getting Orton here was about the best move Whaley could have possibly made at the QB position. His hands were tied...you can't just invent a franchise QB and make him available to your team.

I say we keep Whaley for another year. The guy has had ONE SINGLE draft as GM, for crying out loud. People want to use him as a scapegoat. Firing him now would be just scapegoating him, plain and simple.

alohabillsfan
11-13-2014, 11:14 PM
IMO firing Whaley is stupid! His job is get get talent and we have a lot of it, unfortunately we have an inept offensive coordinator and overwhelmed head coach! Just my 2 cents

ICRockets
11-13-2014, 11:29 PM
There was a caller on what little of the post-game I listened to tonight who nailed it: "If you're going to go for broke in the draft, you need to go for broke on the field too."

Whaley is only the problem in the sense that there's a tragic disconnect between the philosophy of management and the philosophy of our coaching staff.

Mace
11-14-2014, 05:51 PM
This is the thing that gets me about a lot of Bills fans, Mace. Like I said in the other thread, the Bills have had ELEVEN first-round draft picks in the past nine years. Most were pretty high picks in the first-round. How did all that go? What makes you think that having another first-round draft pick next year is going to make all that much difference, considering what's happened in the past decade?

The fact remains that the Bills need a quarterback. You have one of those, and everybody else automatically looks a lot smarter.

I still think that getting Orton here was about the best move Whaley could have possibly made at the QB position. His hands were tied...you can't just invent a franchise QB and make him available to your team.

I say we keep Whaley for another year. The guy has had ONE SINGLE draft as GM, for crying out loud. People want to use him as a scapegoat. Firing him now would be just scapegoating him, plain and simple.

Yes yes, I was, and still am, overly upset. You're right.

I suppose my thought is that you can (or should) nearly be able to bank on a first round pick, safer in the middle of the round, to be a solid starter at a core position. More bites at the apple gives you more maybes. I'm not fond on spending big for sparkling skill players you can collect if you do your homework (rb's/wr's) later without sacrificing bites at the apple, and even collecting more of them. I really do not believe Atlanta helped themselves a lot with Julio Jones, nor did we with Watkins or previous organization, Spiller, though I think Watkins, Jones and Spiller are excellent talents.

Whaley claimed responsibility for the last draft too though, and Manuel. Means he owns two.

I'm annoyed we spent a maybe, though the maybe would still be a maybe. I don't believe we can afford to spend maybes, even if they are maybes.

All that said, you are still right. I am guilty of the same knee jerk I always ridicule, but all I can say is that my knees jerk sometimes too. I'm getting old, and too upset about this season, I feel my mortality, and that's overly dramatic, but these seasons are piling up on me and on some people even more. My knees are jerking more often.

I'm going to back off and see what happens next couple weeks, and worry about next draft, next draft. Another year is another year. I don't really know they don't have some excellent talent yet.

I won't back off on Marrone though. He's not going to make it.

Mace
11-14-2014, 05:53 PM
There was a caller on what little of the post-game I listened to tonight who nailed it: "If you're going to go for broke in the draft, you need to go for broke on the field too."

Whaley is only the problem in the sense that there's a tragic disconnect between the philosophy of management and the philosophy of our coaching staff.

I can agree. Then maybe, I guess, Whaley needs choose his own HC. That will take us to 2017.

pmoon6
11-15-2014, 12:48 PM
Let's go for 8-8 so Marrone and Hackett can keep their jobs.No, let's lose all the rest of our games so you can pump your chest, rub your little dick and tell us how much you know about football.

BertSquirtgum
11-15-2014, 02:28 PM
Whaley has given Moron enough talent to win ten games this year. Moron is his gutless early 1980's coaching style is the reason this team blows.

jills
11-15-2014, 03:43 PM
IMO firing Whaley is stupid! His job is get get talent and we have a lot of it, unfortunately we have an inept offensive coordinator and overwhelmed head coach! Just my 2 cents

I'm sorry, what talent?

WagonCircler
11-15-2014, 04:42 PM

But the thing is, Whaley is the one who tied his own hands. And acquiring Orton is a CLASSIC "Even a broken clock is right twice a day" situation.

It wasn't like signing Orton was a stroke of genius. Orson was, almost literally, the only guy out there. They waited and waited until the stupidity of having Manuel, Tuel and Lewis was obvious to anyone with eyes. By the time they signed Orton, everyone already had a Prom date, and Orton was Whaley's second cousin who already had the dress. It was his only choice.

And the fact that the QB situation will only get worse with no first rounder next year is completely of Whaley's making.

We all seem to agree that QB is the most vital position on an NFL team. Well Whaley Shat the bed in colossal fashion with the QB situation, and he needs to pay with his job.

Some people like to point to Watkins being a successful Whaley pick. Ridiculous. If you look at him in terms of how well he has done as a first round pick, then sure, he's been good. But he needs to be measured in terms of his worth vs. TWO first rounders and a fourth rounder. Any idiot fanboy could parlay those picks into a Sammy Watkins. It's no stroke of genius or talent.

And after all that, the QB situation is just as bad as it was when Fitz was here.

Whaley needs to go.

swiper
11-15-2014, 04:45 PM

Do you want to know why?

Have a safe winter!!

Ouch.

alohabillsfan
12-14-2014, 09:23 PM
Seriously? Smh

psubills62
12-14-2014, 09:50 PM

Do you want to know why?

Have a safe winter!!
It's only a victory if it is improved upon the next season.

True realists understand that a legitimate (long-term) SB contender does not happen immediately. A few teams have been built for short-term success, so that's why I differentiate from a long-term contender. So yes, we do expect to see gradual improvement and if we see that, it's a positive. But the expectations of Buffalo are, and will always be to win a Super Bowl. Just because we don't expect to make it this year does not mean we don't expect it. As the record improves, so do the immediate expectations, which can be distinct from the long-term expectations.

That point is what a lot of people on here don't seem to understand.

Night Train
12-15-2014, 03:48 AM
He picked up a punt returner (Thigpen) and a 3rd string safety (Rambo) in the last month that produced game winning plays yesterday.

His drafts have been average but his FA pickups have been very good.