PDA

View Full Version : This Offensive Line needs a Shuffle

Mahdi
11-14-2014, 09:03 AM
Right now, at all 5 positions we have a player either playing poorly or out of position.

Cordy Glenn is just not playing well right now. He missed most of TC and it has had a big effect on him. Not the same pass blocker or run blocker.

Urbik is not a LG. He needs to go back to RG.

Pears is not a G, period. At this point he is not even starting quality in the NFL at any position.

Wood is stuck between two weak links and his play is being affected.

Henderson had a fast start and now he is looking like every bit the rookie he is. He is slow on the outside and is also not a good run blocker at this time.

-------------------------

I don't know if there is a solution but the Bills need to re-shuffle this thing somehow.

Give Kouandjio a shot and we should be looking into Incognito to play LG and move Urbik to RG. Incognito is a solid run blocker and if this team doesn't run the ball they'll continue to lose.

Dr. Lecter
11-14-2014, 09:08 AM
I'm not sure Incognito is the answer

No other team wants him. What makes him an upgrade, as horrible as Pears and Urbik have been?

Mahdi
11-14-2014, 09:12 AM
I'm not sure Incognito is the answer

No other team wants him. What makes him an upgrade, as horrible as Pears and Urbik have been?

He's an upgrade because he is a natural LG and a natural run blocker which Urbik and Pears are not.

Other teams don't want him because of the issue that happened last year. Denver brought him in for a look but they are good at G so for them it wasn't worth it. We don't have the luxury to be picky.

better days
11-14-2014, 09:42 AM
Ian Beckles, former OL for the Bucs has said he played for a number of OL Coaches in his career.

He said many times a new Coach will want the players to use different techniques & blocking schemes than the last Coach did.

That looks like the case here.

I don't think Glenn & Wood all the sudden become MEDIOCRE.

I think Marrone & his OL Coach want them using a different system than they used in the past.

It should be obvious to all which is the better...at least for these players.

DraftBoy
11-14-2014, 10:08 AM
I thought Henderson had a good game last night in pass pro v. Wake.

Bill Cody
11-14-2014, 10:17 AM
Other teams don't want him because of the issue that happened last year.

um yeah. He's an average player so the baggage outweighs any marginal benefit.

Fletch
11-14-2014, 10:24 AM
I thought Henderson had a good game last night in pass pro v. Wake.

I agree. Orton, Mr. Sack, was sacked only twice on 39 attempts, that his best sack ratio of the season by a mile. Orton had much better protection than Tannehill did.

Historian
11-14-2014, 10:26 AM
Doesn't matter how many times you shuffle, if your cards are threes, fours, and twos...you still lose the hand.

Mahdi
11-14-2014, 11:01 AM
I agree. Orton, Mr. Sack, was sacked only twice on 39 attempts, that his best sack ratio of the season by a mile. Orton had much better protection than Tannehill did.

The missing stat there is how many times he just threw the ball away or into the dirt... There was like 7 of those. So really, even though there was no sack on the play the result was the same.

The OL was terrible yesterday and is the main reason we have lost several games.

trapezeus
11-14-2014, 11:23 AM
not a OL expert, but how can we not have a single servicable area on the Line? they've already rotated through a little. doesn't that just point the figure to coaches? i think they could rotate the whole line again. but these coaches wouldn't put them in a position to succeed.

swiper
11-14-2014, 12:25 PM
Right now, at all 5 positions we have a player either playing poorly or out of position.

Cordy Glenn is just not playing well right now. He missed most of TC and it has had a big effect on him. Not the same pass blocker or run blocker.

Urbik is not a LG. He needs to go back to RG.

Pears is not a G, period. At this point he is not even starting quality in the NFL at any position.

Wood is stuck between two weak links and his play is being affected.

Henderson had a fast start and now he is looking like every bit the rookie he is. He is slow on the outside and is also not a good run blocker at this time.

-------------------------

I don't know if there is a solution but the Bills need to re-shuffle this thing somehow.

Give Kouandjio a shot and we should be looking into Incognito to play LG and move Urbik to RG. Incognito is a solid run blocker and if this team doesn't run the ball they'll continue to lose.

St Doug disagrees with you.

X-Era
11-14-2014, 01:31 PM
I thought Henderson had a good game last night in pass pro v. Wake.Henderson has far exceeded my expectations. Great add.

jimmifli
11-14-2014, 01:47 PM
Cordy's never been much of a pass blocker, he was just good enough that under a quick hit scheme he was protected. And he was a mauler in the run game.

His pass blocking actually looks a little better, even if the stats don't quite show that. But where did his run blocking go? We miss that badly. It was nice to see him downfield on a few of those RB passes (tough to really call them screens), he seems to do well on that part of the game.

Also, I'd like to add that Chandler has fulfilled the role of the "pulling guard" a couple times over the last two games and those plays were successful runs. That's about the only positive things I can say about this team.

YardRat
11-14-2014, 04:08 PM
Get a new oline coach, and 50-75% of the problem will be solved.

I should qualify that with a 'good' new oline coach, not just a warm body from Marrone's buddy network.

Scumbag College
11-14-2014, 07:30 PM
The OL was in shambles last year and Whaley, to his (somewhat) credit brought in four new guys. (Williams, Koundijo, Richardson, and Henderson.) Williams is on IR, Koundijo hasn't seen the field, Richardson obviously wasn't ready to play and is a project. Henderson has been the bright spot, the 7th round pick.

sudzy
11-15-2014, 05:33 AM
The Bills needs this off season are:
1) QB
2) OL- 2 guards and a plan b for RT. I'd leave the door open for Henderson to start again next year.
Everything else is a distant 3rd.

coastal
11-15-2014, 06:47 AM
****itall

Goobylal
11-15-2014, 09:02 AM
The OL played well for 3 quarters. Orton still couldn't do jack squat.

better days
11-15-2014, 09:59 AM
The missing stat there is how many times he just threw the ball away or into the dirt... There was like 7 of those. So really, even though there was no sack on the play the result was the same.

The OL was terrible yesterday and is the main reason we have lost several games.

Good point, but it looked like Orton threw the ball into the dirt before he had to a number of times.

Just terrible play by Orton.

Buddo
11-15-2014, 03:33 PM
While the point about scheme and technique could have validity, the reality is that Marrone has tried to fit square pegs into round holes on the O-Line.

Admittedly losing Williams hurt some, but aside from that, Pears has no business whatsoever playing Guard. Urbik has been a RG for all of his career. With Henderson supplanting Pears, we should have only been looking for someone to play LG. As it stands, Urbik only gets to play LG, because he somehow got on Marrone's **** list, and we have nobody else who is even remotely capable.
While I appreciate the lack of Glenn at TC didn't help getting the right combination together, the thing was, we had a moderate line aside from LG to start with, with Glenn, Wood, Urbik and Pears. We've had worse than that pretty much all year, due to the mix and matching Marrone has tried - and failed at.

Even the one success, Henderson, is likely more about man management than anything else, as the kid was undeniably talented, just unmotivated, and not very mature.

This is from a guy whose 'previous', was as a respected O-Line coach, amongst other things.

If you must put Pears in, stick him in at LG, or put Richardson back there, and let the rest of the guys play the positions they are familiar with.

Mace
11-15-2014, 07:43 PM
The OL was in shambles last year and Whaley, to his (somewhat) credit brought in four new guys. (Williams, Koundijo, Richardson, and Henderson.) Williams is on IR, Koundijo hasn't seen the field, Richardson obviously wasn't ready to play and is a project. Henderson has been the bright spot, the 7th round pick.

It sure wasn't in a shambles last season. We needed a left guard. Better y/a per run, less sacks per attempt, yada yada. It was close to a shambles this year, because of Henderson, Richardson, journeyman injured guy, moving Pears to guard and refusing to play Urbik. We still have the same people out of position, still need a left guard and it looks a hella lot more stable because they caved in and played Urbik out of position. Put them back where they belong, let the kids sit and learn and just get a left guard already.

I despise Incognito, he's toxic, but he can play left guard for 6 games and put everyone else back where they belong, then get a freaking left guard next year.

YardRat
11-15-2014, 08:11 PM
Get a real center and Wood can play LG. Or, hope like hell we strike lightning with Richardson and KuJo making giant leaps on the interior, and Henderson continues to improve.

Mace
11-15-2014, 08:30 PM
Get a real center and Wood can play LG. Or, hope like hell we strike lightning with Richardson and KuJo making giant leaps on the interior, and Henderson continues to improve.

Even if they do you won't know it with this staff. Just put everyone back where they belong and figure it out.

ParanoidAndroid
11-16-2014, 10:10 AM
Remember how Henderson was outplaying Pears and Urbik looked like dog **** in pre-season?

better days
11-16-2014, 11:54 AM

I think Wood would look much more like a real Center if he had REAL Guards on either side of him.

Herd bull
11-17-2014, 11:43 PM
not a OL expert, but how can we not have a single servicable area on the Line? they've already rotated through a little. doesn't that just point the figure to coaches? i think they could rotate the whole line again. but these coaches wouldn't put them in a position to succeed.
Rotating won't help. They need to man up. Miami's defensive line ***** slapped them all over the field.

NC-BILLS44
11-18-2014, 08:30 AM
A couple of real road graders would be great. Does Incognito fit the bill? No pun intended.

jamze132
11-18-2014, 01:50 PM
I blame Zebrie Sanders.

Mace
11-18-2014, 07:41 PM
Remember how Henderson was outplaying Pears and Urbik looked like dog **** in pre-season?

No I don't really, when did that happen ? They mostly sat Pears before moving him to guard intending to get rid of him, and barely played Urbik at all, intending to get rid of him.

You aren't seriously saying Henderson because he was good in preseason had to be in regular season are you ? When exactly did you see Urbik playing a lot ? They sent him to the bench and ignored him to the point (5 best linemen) they had him on the pines and started an inactive (Richardson) who must not have been one of their best 5 linemen to be inactive for weeks. Pears, a mediocre tackle at Urbik's guard spot ? Was Henderson that good in preseason and 10 games in, he's better than mediocre Pears was being less terrible ?

Bouncing people around and starting rookies turned out inept. They have some serious talent on the o-line and woefully bumbled them. We had a LG issue when we started and now have a mess.

We have a real good bunch of OL prospects who didn't belong starting.

But no, I don't remember that, not at all.