X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • JohnnyGold
    • Dec 2008

5-5 with Orton? Or 5-5 with EJ?

It may be far fetched, but EJ was 2-2 (.500) when he was benched and replaced by Orton, who has gone 3-3 (.500)... could EJ have won games against the Jets, the Vikings and either the Chiefs or the Dolphins? I'm betting yes.

If the Buffalo Bills were 5-5 right now with EJ at QB, would your outlook on this team be more or less optimistic than it is right now? As a fan, would you feel excited about the next 6 games, and think "at least if we "only" go 8-8 or 9-7, we may miss the playoffs, but will have a young qb who is keeping us in games and winning more football games than any qb has for the Bills in a decade.

Would THAT alone be enough to buy Marrone and Hackett another year?

And is that not the apex of irony--benching EJ to save his job may have cost Marrone his job!
  • Typ0
    honey pie
    • Jul 2002

Re: 5-5 with Orton? Or 5-5 with EJ?

The difference is the games EJ was were in spite of his play and the ones Orton won he was a major contributor too.

Comment

• JohnnyGold
      • Dec 2008

Originally posted by Typ0 View Post
      The difference is the games EJ was were in spite of his play and the ones Orton won he was a major contributor too.
      I agree... but with that being said, would you be more comfortable with the Bills if we were winning inspite of EJ and had the same 5-5 record? Or do you prefer to be .500 with Orton, knowing exactly what we have this year, next year, and any year Orton plays until he retires?

Comment

• feldspar
        • Mar 2007

Starting Orton was the right thing to do.

These past six days have been brutal in Bills-land. I can't imagine how EJ would have looked against the NFL's top two passing defenses, especially without our best running backs.

Comment

• better days
          • Jan 2010

Originally posted by feldspar View Post

These past six days have been brutal in Bills-land. I can't imagine how EJ would have looked against the NFL's top two passing defenses, especially without our best running backs.
          Well, EJ is mobile, he may have looked better than Orton did.

Comment

• djjimkelly
            • Apr 2003

Originally posted by feldspar View Post

EJ BEAT THE DOLPHINS the first time do you forget that this game went exactly the same way as first IMO

Comment

• X-Era
              What this generation tolerates, the next generation will embrace
              • Feb 2005

Originally posted by Typ0 View Post
              Wait... So Ortons 2 turnovers didn't help us lose the Pats game? Ortons bad throws in the red zone in the 3rd and 4th quarter against the Chiefs didn't help us lose that game either?

I'm fine with the "game manager" QB that doesn't win or lose us games and where the defense wins the games for us (a.l.a. the Dilfer led Ravens team). But, Orton has been a major contributor to both wins and losses.

Comment

• Forward_Lateral
                • Mar 2004

Originally posted by X-Era View Post
                Wait... So Ortons 2 turnovers didn't help us lose the Pats game? Ortons bad throws in the red zone in the 3rd and 4th quarter against the Chiefs didn't help us lose that game either?

I'm fine with the "game manager" QB that doesn't win or lose us games and where the defense wins the games for us (a.l.a. the Dilfer led Ravens team). But, Orton has been a major contributor to both wins and losses.
                He means the games EJ won were in spite of his play, and the ones Kyle won were mostly because of it.

Comment

• WagonCircler
                  Escaped Convict
                  • Jul 2002

They both suck. But with Orton, there's no illusion that he may be the next franchise QB.

With ass wipes like Whaley and their egos, they may just be tempted to keep trying to insert the square peg into the round hole to stubbornly prove they were right to draft EJ.

Whaley, EJ, Marrone, Orton, Brandon, Hackett...they all need to go away.

Comment

• X-Era
                    What this generation tolerates, the next generation will embrace
                    • Feb 2005

Originally posted by Forward_Lateral View Post
                    He means the games EJ won were in spite of his play, and the ones Kyle won were mostly because of it.
                    I know. And my point is Orton was a major contributor to our losses as well.

Comment

• JohnnyGold
                      • Dec 2008

I don't understand why this thread has 1 star?

I understand the calls for EJ are annoying (especially from me, a guy who started a "we're winning the Super Bowl thread"), but I think it's a legitimate question.

Is there no one on this board who would feel better if EJ was our starter and we had a 5-5 record?

I, for one, would. There would at least be some degree of optimism that he could improve this offseason with a new coordinator, coach, etc. And a .500 record with him at qb through 10 games would be better than anything we've done in the last decade and a half, so it would be progress.

Orton, a 30 year old vet, leading us to .500 is what it is--that's the floor, and that's the ceiling.

Comment

• better days
                        • Jan 2010

Originally posted by Forward_Lateral View Post
                        The Lions game was mostly lost by the Lions CRAPPY FG Kicker, not won by Orton.

Comment

• Mr. Pink
                          Peterman Sucks!
                          • Mar 2006

Orton's performance yesterday was EJ Manuel like and you think they'd be 5-5 with Manuel behind center?

They'd be 3-7.

Comment

• jills
                            • Oct 2009

There's no way we win against Lions or Vikes with Manuel at QB.

Comment

• djjimkelly
                              • Apr 2003

Originally posted by better days View Post
                              The Lions game was mostly lost by the Lions CRAPPY FG Kicker, not won by Orton.
                              and people forget our kicker hit a 58 yarder to win

Comment

Working...
                              X