PDA

View Full Version : Kiss them all goodbye

WagonCircler
11-14-2014, 10:25 AM
Tis the season. The annual grand Buffalo tradition, in which Bills fans' thoughts turn to daydreaming about the first round of the draft.

Except this year, we don't even get to daydream.

Yesterday's game took a giant highlighter to Doug Whaley's MASSIVE mishandling of the draft.

As good as Sammy Watkins is, he is basically useless with two horrendous QBs throwing to him. And while it may have been excusable to trade, say maybe, an extra 3rd rounder in order to move up and grab him, no Wide Receiver in the history of this league is worth what the Bills payed for Watkins, especially in the absence of a competent QB.

This has, no doubt, dawned on Terry Pegula, as he is first and foremost, a fan.

There is no first rounder next year. So not only do we have no QB, we have to settle for the misfit toys who fall to the second round, and guess what? At present, the guy who is poised to make the choices in next year's draft is the guy who made the situation FUBAR in the first place.

Granted, Whaley didn't technically pick Manuel, but he had major input, and then he doubled down by not acquiring a backup until the day before the season started, and tripled down by spending two first rounders and a fourth rounder on a Wide Receiver.

So, when Terry Pegula starts to think about a QB riding in on a white horse to save the franchise, he needs to look at the man responsible for this mess and give him a boxed lunch and a bus ticket out of town.

And he needs to send Marrone and Brandon away with him.

This organization has the stench of CAN'T.

It needs to be stripped down to the bones and built back up the same way that Pegula is doing it with the Sabres.

FIRE EVERYONE.

Fletch
11-14-2014, 10:29 AM
Granted, Whaley didn't technically pick Manuel, but he had major input, and then he doubled down by not acquiring a backup until the day before the season started, and tripled down by spending two first rounders and a fourth rounder on a Wide Receiver.

So who did "technically" pick Manuel?

I kinda think that Whaley says it was him in the video below.

When you say "technically," what do you mean, the guy that handed the draft guys the card, or what?

I don't disagree, you know that I agree through and through and I'm not even seeing this "special-ness" of Watkins over other rookies at this point so there's no disagreement, I'm just curious what you mean.

WagonCircler
11-14-2014, 10:31 AM

When you say "technically," what do you mean, the guy that handed the draft guys the card, or what?

I don't disagree, you know that I agree through and through and I'm not even seeing this "special-ness" of Watkins over other rookies at this point so there's no disagreement, I'm just curious what you mean.

Technically, it was Buddy Nix. who was the GM when Manuel was drafted.

Fletch
11-14-2014, 10:38 AM
Technically, it was Buddy Nix. who was the GM when Manuel was drafted.

You're really not very ****ing bright, are you?

Don't know what I did to warrant that. Nevertheless, yeah, me and my 130 IQ aren't very bright here, so I'm told anyway.

Whaley admits that he's the one who's responsible. Nix had already been told months earlier that he was being succeeded by Whaley and was just days after the draft, so were we. So you really think that they let an outgoing GM run our draft? Besides Whaley's own words of course that apparently you don't believe.

Talk about not being very bright.

JohnnyGold
11-14-2014, 10:46 AM

Quite honestly, this entire board owes you an apology.

I have never had an issue with your posting, I think you give the most fair and balanced perspective on this team.

The only thing I disagree with you about is your criticism of Pegula--and that is more from a business perspective, having been a part of 2 corporate mergers and 1 takeover. A transition is not as simple as "fire everyone and start over."

But the amount of vitriol that is spewed at you for stating the facts, (and criticizing the direction of an organization that for the better part of 6 decades has done NOTHING to garner any trust, confidence or respect, aside from playing in Buffalo), looks even more absurd in the light of what has transpired over the past 5 days.

I, like others, hope the Bills can win the next 2 and have a meaningful game against Denver.

But I, unlike others, also think that your position on Whaley needing to be canned should be recognized. Everyone on this board (myself included) has harbored unfounded optimism at some point this season, last season, or any season in the last 15 years. Your critiques have been spot on, and quite frankly, your posting can be summed up as this:

If you think Whaley should be fired, I respect that a lot more than the opinions of posters who call you every name in the book, and then say that the Bills are "close". They're not, and you're right!

TacklingDummy
11-14-2014, 11:27 AM
Judging by the Sabres, I have no faith in the new ownership.

paladin warrior
11-14-2014, 11:29 AM
No I don't kiss them good bye .I kick them and punch Marrone-Hackett , Dowing, all good bye

Fletch
11-14-2014, 11:31 AM
No I don't kiss them good bye .I kick them and punch Marrone-Hackett , Dowing, all good bye

Yeah, it's that time of year again.

:peace:

trapezeus
11-14-2014, 11:39 AM
i don't care about the tecnicality. they've all been with the organization throughout the crappy losing. patching holes isn't going to help.

Patching holes approach:
maybe we get an OC who can coach or who can't. Who knows. Maybe schwartz is a little better than marrone. but the issue is this team is a long way from being a superbowl team. the ultimate goal. the miniscule changes of staying with brandon on down is minimal. great we can break the playoff drought (maybe in the next year) if we keep the continuity. But that's the ceiling for this team and these scouts and these coaches and these FO people. That's it. they've been at it so long that they are what they are. a front office that knows how to assemble a 5-11 to 7-9 team. Maybe one outlier 9-7 season. Is that what we want?

Start over approach
Get in real football minds. get guys who have worked in senior positions of successful teams. find out what works, build from there. It will take time at worst. but at least the structure will be sound. so when you need to make the inevitable change, you are changing the right pieces at the right time instead of always pointing the figure at the HC and their staff.

i would rather fail trying something new than have the brandon method of "no stone unturned" which means, we found a local guy to maybe help us sell tickets.

I would rather have a college coach who hasn't ever been highly ranked or get the benefit of good recruiting. But he has a knack of having better second halves as he makes adjustments and that he knows how to coach up guys who aren't total studs.

and if we need a splash, we need the chip kelly's. the big program guys who think differently. Who are innovative. gettinga big time college coach who has always relied on the best recruitment doesn't do much for changing our fortunes.

d1220
11-14-2014, 11:57 AM
Don't know what I did to warrant that. Nevertheless, yeah, me and my 130 IQ aren't very bright here, so I'm told anyway.

I'm pretty sure this is Lit Stylish from the range. I've suspected it for a while, that comment just about solidified it for me.

X-Era
11-14-2014, 01:33 PM
The team is screwed without a significant upgrade at QB.

I want Cowher.

jimmifli
11-14-2014, 01:38 PM
I'm pretty sure this is Lit Stylish from the range. I've suspected it for a while, that comment just about solidified it for me.
I thought everyone knew that. Wipe your chin....

mightysimi
11-14-2014, 01:41 PM
The team is screwed without a significant upgrade at QB.

I want Cowher.

He doesn't play QB.

Seriously though I'm not sure someone out of the game that long would be able to adjust to the way the game is played now. However in all fairness, he probably has a bit better of a handle on it then say Shannahan or Holmgren because he talks football all the time.

Now he is probably making a nice chunk of change being a broadcaster where he is only one once, twice a week tops on air. It would have to be a hell of a lot of money and a hell of a lot of control for him to even consider it.

WagonCircler
11-14-2014, 01:44 PM
Don't know what I did to warrant that.

You openly rooted for the team to move to Canada for 6 months.

WagonCircler
11-14-2014, 01:47 PM
I thought everyone knew that. Wipe your chin....

Wait, what?

Dude
11-14-2014, 01:50 PM
No way. I find it hard to believe microscopes would spend so much time and energy posting here when he has his own site to run.

WagonCircler
11-14-2014, 01:52 PM
No way. I find it hard to believe he would spend so much time and energy posting here when he has his own site to run.

I don't believe it either.

Say what you will about him, but Lit could not pretend to want the Bills to move as passionately as Felch did.

Fletch
11-14-2014, 02:00 PM
You openly rooted for the team to move to Canada for 6 months.

I did?

Thanks for letting me know. I didn't realize that.

I suppose I like to kill babies, deficate in public, and randomly beat women too.

Is this really what posting in a forum is all about, numerous posts about someone having nothing at all to do about football?

Well yeah, here it is, sadly.

Instead of slamming me constantly, maybe some of your guys' mental energies would be better suited to why so many of you disagreed with my positions when most of them are true and becoming even more true as the season unfolds.

Nah, that would require honesty and integrity, can't have that. Gotta keep those wheels of the personal attacks greased.

WagonCircler
11-14-2014, 02:10 PM
I did?

Thanks for letting me know. I didn't realize that.

Well then, you obviously have a multiple personality disorder.

I suppose I like to kill babies, deficate in public, and randomly beat women too.

No, you openly advocated for the Bills moving to Toronto, which is worse.

And which is unforgivable, Felch.