PDA

View Full Version : My 2 cents

ghz in pittsburgh
11-14-2014, 10:48 AM
The Bills are an 8-8 team; heard on the radio, saw on TV, and so many have told me that. Didn't want to believe it but reality is reality.
Mario and Marcell are must keeps for the Bills. I don't care anyone says that Mario makes too much money. Right now teams are doubling Marcell every down and if they don't have an elite LT, they have to double Mario as well, which opens door for guys like Hughes to have a career year.
I don't want to diminish the work and improvement Hughes put in this year. He's playing at Aaron Schobel's level (though imagine Schobel had Marcell in the middle and Mario on the other side ...)
They are missing the 2013 1st half version of Kiko out there. So many short passes turned into big plays for Miami.
The inability to run the ball this year is the biggest down fall of Marrone's offense in my opinion. Ever since he came to Buffalo, his offensive mantra is to run the ball and open up other stuff. It is hard to be successful when you bread and butter is gone. You can even point to Miami's success yesterday or other games: when they started to run the ball on us the 2nd half, that's when they dictated to us (or Pats for that matter).
Orton is not the long/short term answer. We are starting to see the limitations, especially under pressure. No QB does better under pressure than normal circumstances, but better QBs are better because they handle it better. 0 for whatever 3rd conversion in the 2nd half said all. I'd go as far as saying Manuel would've done a little better yesterday in that part because of his leg. But Orton does bring veteran experience that Manuel sorely missed when he started here.
I'm not as down as most people on the O-Line. The management addressed it in a big way. Unfortunately Chris Williams is hurt (still the best option at LG, can't expect all pro all across) and the rookies they drafted are too green. Looking at Steelers, had all kinds of OL issues last few years but started to get better when those draftees matured.
Bryce Brown still scares me the way he holds the ball. He didn't have any fumbles yesterday but I saw the ball moved away from the body too often. Looks like the concern for his ball security is legit. Still they should run him more - speaking of that ...
For the first time, I think Marrone should consider a new OC/Offensive quality coach in the coming season -- maybe it's on himself. Looks to me that once they showed a play a couple of times, the opposing defense got a tell sign quickly and we had nothing to counter, not much variation that can cause confusions. Just look across the field yesterday. Miami had run in the middle, sweeps, QB keeper all came out the same look that kept our defense on their toes.
I don't know a whole sale change should be ordered regardless the outcome this year. Maybe I saw how Steelers operate. Not sure Whaley has done a very poor job thus far that he obviously needs to be replaced. There is no urgency to sign any extension to or fire coaches/GM this winter. It sucks to fans that no tangible hope in sight, but if you are Pegula, it's just the beginning. You want to make sure you take your time and make the right move.

trapezeus
11-14-2014, 11:11 AM
i get not wanting to blow the whole thing up. i think there is value in avoiding it.

but, brandon and co have created an environment of mediocrity. Have you ever worked at a bad firm where the worst people get promoted, get the perks and the good people leave? I have. it sucks. and regardless of who was making what exact decision, the way the team operates is a result of years of dysfunction.

They are all in it together for the last 5 years at the very least. they've all had a role. and they haven't had answers. Yet another scapegoating of one segment while the other one sticks around for all the failures is not good enough in sports. it's not good enough in most large firms.

For that reason alone i would want a full gutting. I can deal with a 3-13, a 6-10 season if we know we aren't trying the same old thing over and over again.

that being said i don't think marrone is jauron. i don't think he's much better than .500. I think if he had some time and wasn't so loyal to an offense that in total can not do a single thing with authority. it seems to just want to survive 60 minutes. I think there are alot of other coaches who can replace this. and the d, he's outsourced to D guru's. So his value couldn't be lower.

sadly a full gutting will result in our D aging out before the offense can catch up.