X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Mike
    • Jan 2009

Doug Marrone vs Chip Kelly vs Andy Reid

It was not so long ago, that many of you DEFENDED the Marone hiring while mocking the hiring of Chip Kelly and even Andy Reid.

To a few it was obvious: Chip Kelly was an offensive mastermind and Reid has been one of the winningest coaches of the past decade compared to Doug Marrone's Mediocre Madness in Syracuse.
    > After his first season, Marrone and staff were given a pass -and to many diehards the verdict was still out even though both Kelly & Reid made the playoffs.
    > During the second season, Marrone seemed to have helped the Bills improve as they started out with a solid 5-3 record only to quickly fall to 5-5. Most homers have turned against this team, this FO, and this coaching staff.

In reflection, can you NOW see the difference between a Chip Kelly/Andy Reid hire and a Doug Marrone hire?

If this Bills make a similarly poor choice will Disapprove right away or wait 2-3 years until it is painfully obvious?
    Please Make Sense
  • X-Era
    What this generation tolerates, the next generation will embrace
    • Feb 2005

Re: Doug Marrone vs Chip Kelly vs Andy Reid

Originally posted by Mike View Post
    It was not so long ago, that many of you DEFENDED the Marone hiring while mocking the hiring of Chip Kelly and even Andy Reid.

To a few it was obvious: Chip Kelly was an offensive mastermind and Reid has been one of the winningest coaches of the past decade compared to Doug Marrone's Mediocre Madness in Syracuse.
    > After his first season, Marrone and staff were given a pass -and to many diehards the verdict was still out even though both Kelly & Reid made the playoffs.
    > During the second season, Marrone seemed to have helped the Bills improve as they started out with a solid 5-3 record only to quickly fall to 5-5. Most homers have turned against this team, this FO, and this coaching staff.

In reflection, can you NOW see the difference between a Chip Kelly/Andy Reid hire and a Doug Marrone hire?

If this Bills make a similarly poor choice will Disapprove right away or wait 2-3 years until it is painfully obvious?
    I still dont like Chip Kelly.

Comment

• Mike
      • Jan 2009

Originally posted by X-Era View Post
      I still dont like Chip Kelly.
      You may not like him, but who would you rather have as your coach?
      PS: he makes even Mark Sanchez look like a good QB
      Please Make Sense

Comment

• X-Era
        What this generation tolerates, the next generation will embrace
        • Feb 2005

Originally posted by Mike View Post
        You may not like him, but who would you rather have as your coach?
        PS: he makes even Mark Sanchez look like a good QB
        Can't argue with success but I'd rather have Marrone. Yes I'm being honest.

Comment

• YardRat
          Well, lookie here...
          • Dec 2004

Reid is a modern-day Schottenheimer. I don't think Kelly will last more than 2 more years before heading back to the NCAA. Some of Marrone's coaching hires just flat out suck.
          YardRat Wall of Fame
          #56 DARRYL TALLEY
          #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

Comment

• BertSquirtgum
            • May 2009

Originally posted by YardRat View Post
            Reid is a modern-day Schottenheimer. I don't think Kelly will last more than 2 more years before heading back to the NCAA. Some of Marrone's coaching hires just flat out suck.
            That's because Marrone sucks.

Comment

• imbondz
              Democrats are people too
              • Jan 2003

I still like Marrone. Don't like Hackett at all. If Marrone keeps Hackett, then I won't like Marrone
              My faith doesn’t make me perfect, it makes me forgiven.

Comment

• Mouldsie
                • Aug 2012

Originally posted by YardRat View Post
                You're insane. Chip Kelly is already a top 10 NFL HC, and yes I watched his far less talented team take a beating today.

Comment

• trapezeus
                  Legendary Zoner
                  • Oct 2004

i don't disagree with the OP comments. just want to remind you that as bad as the bills are, they've owned the Reid Chiefs for all but like 4 plays. Reid is what he is. for a team starved of the playoffs, he would have been fun. but i don't think he gets you much further.

I think Bruce Arians was hired the same year as Marrone. he only quietly owns the best record in the league and is doing it with a stable of QBs.

Comment

• better days
                    • Jan 2010

Originally posted by trapezeus View Post
                    i don't disagree with the OP comments. just want to remind you that as bad as the bills are, they've owned the Reid Chiefs for all but like 4 plays. Reid is what he is. for a team starved of the playoffs, he would have been fun. but i don't think he gets you much further.

I think Bruce Arians was hired the same year as Marrone. he only quietly owns the best record in the league and is doing it with a stable of QBs.
                    Arians is the HC the Bills & every other team but the Cards missed out on.

Comment

• EDS
                      • Jan 2003

It is interesting that teams such as Arizona, Cleveland, Philly and KC have been able to have greater success than Buffalo despite similar QB limitations.

Comment

• BuffaloRedleg
                        • Aug 2013

Well when he came in there was an understanding that he would bring a fresh coaching perspective to the game. They were going to utilize analytics etc to gain an edge coaching during games.

This has not been the case.

Comment

• kingJofNYC
                          • Sep 2009

The reality is, both coaches wanted nothing to do with us. Reid ran to the Chiefs, and Chip told us to **** off, so what's the point of all this? At the end of the day it's up to our new owner to convince a top flight coach to come here. Until that day comes, enjoy the what ifs.

Funny thing is, Marrone head to head against Reid has been an even match, except for the whole choking up the Ws that exemplify Marrone's team.

How do some of you feel about Gus Malzahn? What about Shaw?

Comment

• Historian
                            2020-2023 AFC East Champions!
                            • Dec 2002

"No stone unturned"

Comment

• Mace
                              Haha...yeah you think so ?
                              • Mar 2013

Originally posted by Historian View Post
                              "No stone unturned"
                              Thing that still bugs me about that is we had no interest in Arians, who lacked splash like Kelly or precedent like Reid, but still had more chops than Marrone and we didn't even chat him up any.

Comment

Working...
                              X