PDA

View Full Version : The Los Angeles Kings model

coastal
11-15-2014, 02:15 PM
Is big and deep down the middle. Let's take a look...

Jeff Carter 6'4" 212#
Anze Kopitar 6'3" 224#
Jarrett Stoll 6'1" 212#

This year... they have a rotation ans appear to be juggling lines and positions, but everyone is 6'+ and 200+.

It's a model I agree with. Rolling four lines and having them centered by four big bodies, allows the team to deal with the rigors of the NHL season and playoffs while still playing at a high level.

If the Sabres were to model their rebuild in this fashion (something I think they should do), so far the Sabres have

Zemgus Girgensons 6'2" 194

That's it... the cupboard is bare after that in terms of players currently on the Sabres roster and of high quality starting material. Assuming Eichel is the next in line @ 6'2" and 200 as an 18yo, we will have two center building blocks. Reinhart is 6'1" but in my estimation would be lucky to tip the scales at 185 right now. He needs 20# of functional mm put on that frame. Quite frankly though, I don't know if he has the frame for it. He looks slight to me and not broad in the shoulders.

There's sometimes a vet that can be found somewhere to fill that fourth line role, but as The Kings are showing... it's a year to year swap as there are cap considerations... and there's not always an easy solution to be found.

I don't ascribe to the 1st, 2nd, 3rd and 4th line traditional ranking system. I believe in having 3 and if possible 4 lines that can go out and compete on the ice at any given time and in any given situation. That HAS to mean at least 3 very high quality centers if not 4. Teams scrap to even find one or two of these players.

The Sabres have only one on the roster currently, are poised to get the second, have a possible 3rd in training and need the 4th.

this is how you build a hockey team that can compete in this league. It better be their focus.

YardRat
11-15-2014, 02:21 PM
You mean having a farm system generally considered to being the best stocked in the league and an 'owner with deep pockets' isn't enough?

Ginger Vitis
11-15-2014, 02:40 PM
Cant be overlooked the most important cog on the Kings is Drew Doughty a Number 2 overall pick

coastal
11-15-2014, 02:58 PM
You mean having a farm system generally considered to being the best stocked in the league and an 'owner with deep pockets' isn't enough?well t just depends on what your are building. The Bolts built for speed... the Kings for size...

not sure where the Sabres are going. I'm not sure what Tim Murray's vision is outside of metrics.

JATMtheJATM
11-15-2014, 03:17 PM
Cant be overlooked the most important cog on the Kings is Drew Doughty a Number 2 overall pick

or having the best goatender in the show.

JATMtheJATM
11-15-2014, 03:18 PM
by the way, hudson fasching, coastal

6-3 214

then put justin bailey on his wing, hits and goals, man. lots of activity in front of the net.

swiper
11-15-2014, 04:48 PM
I never realized Carter was that big.

JATMtheJATM
11-17-2014, 03:57 AM
Correction: fasching plays wing.

coastal
11-17-2014, 07:07 AM
I'm all about building a big team.

chernobylwraiths
11-17-2014, 11:04 AM
I'm all about building a big team.

and skilled. I like the guy, but we don't need a team of Marcus Folignos, or Paul Gasutads.