PDA

View Full Version : Fire The Old Refs And Hire Former NFL Players

BillsImpossible
11-15-2014, 04:00 PM
Where there exists a problem is always an opportunity to get better.

NFL referees suck more than every guys ex-wife combined.

Zebras that never played a single snap of football in their lives are ruining what was once a great game.

Former NFL players in my opinion are the best solution to an ailing problem.

Nobody knows the game better than former players themselves.

They know more about the game than any referee could ever possibly know.

It's called experience.

Talented veteran eyes that know the game inside out should be watching over it, not part-time, beyond middle aged grandfathers with hearing and vision problems.

When the NFL interviews potential new referees, the one question never asked is, "Did you ever play professional football?"

If you were a business owner and needed a pilot to help fly your bread and butter off the ground, wouldn't you ask the potential pilot candidates if they have ever flown an airplane?

"No, I'm a lawyer."

"No, I own a farming company."

Shouldn't experience count most?

Another reason why I like the idea of hiring former NFL players as referees is because it's not so easy to stuff dollars in their pockets when they're already full.

Not like a single NFL referee has ever taken a bribe offer because NFL referees are as pure and white as the driven snow Bambi once fell upon.

Mr. Pink
11-15-2014, 04:53 PM
Because refs never got calls wrong before?

Hell, in 1979 the Oilers lost a TD in the AFC Championship game in Pittsburgh because the refs got it wrong.

The pass play from Pastorini to Renfro was used for years as a reason why instant replay would be beneficial.

Or the Holy Roller from 1978 where it obviously looks like Stabler purposely throws the ball forward.

Or 1982 when the refs allowed someone to snowplow the field in a spot for NE kicker John Smith to make the game winning field goal against Miami.

Even the immaculate reception which was likely touched by a Steeler before it ended up in Franco's hands, which back in 1972 was against the rules.

OpIv37
11-15-2014, 05:02 PM
The officiating is awful.

I think they need to make officials full time employees and train them year round. They should also have to take conditioning tests to prove they can get out of the way and keep up with the plays.

DraftBoy
11-15-2014, 05:57 PM

I think they need to make officials full time employees and train them year round. They should also have to take conditioning tests to prove they can get out of the way and keep up with the plays.

This makes sense.

YardRat
11-15-2014, 07:38 PM
Yes, because the person I would want reffing a Bills-Patriots game out of everybody in the world would be Tom Brady or Tedy Bruschi. Gotta have somebody in place to carry on the Walt Coleman legacy.

As far as history, piss-poor calls in the past are no excuse for piss-poor officiating today.

I agree with Op...full time, and pass a physical/conditioning test.

DynaPaul
11-16-2014, 03:52 PM
They won't do that because then the NFL will have a harder time influencing the games. Imagine if the former players knew they were being played the whole time? It would be disastrous so for now Walt Coleman and his game rigging butt buddies will be employed for the future.

Mr. Pink
11-16-2014, 06:57 PM
Yes, because the person I would want reffing a Bills-Patriots game out of everybody in the world would be Tom Brady or Tedy Bruschi. Gotta have somebody in place to carry on the Walt Coleman legacy.

As far as history, piss-poor calls in the past are no excuse for piss-poor officiating today.

I agree with Op...full time, and pass a physical/conditioning test.

The history is no excuse for today, people seem to think though that the refs have inexplicably gotten worse over the years. They haven't. Refs blew calls back in the day, blow calls today and will blow calls in the future.

MidnightVoice
11-18-2014, 11:10 AM

This I agree with. For example, all the top referees in rugby are highly trained, very fit professionals. What is interesting is that very few of them (and as far as I know, none of the world class ones) are ex-professional players. Most of them played when young, and have generally many years reffing before getting to the elite level. And they retire from that elite level in their forties, because it is a tough job at that level. I am NOT convinced ex-plyers would be a good idea, and I am not sure those that are broke enough to need to money are thee type of players we would want! :D

better days
11-18-2014, 12:57 PM

I think there should be mandatory retirement at a certain age as well.

Age 45 sounds about right to me, the NFL is a young mans game & the refs should be able to keep up with them.