I say we keep Marrone through his 3rd year...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ublinkwescore
    Sab and TD are insignificant
    • Sep 2002

I say we keep Marrone through his 3rd year...

Why not give him the standard 3 years? No other legitimate coaching candidates will even consider Buffalo without a legitimate shot at a franchise qb... maybe we will get lucky and see him fire Hackett and bring on a real oc... mike shanahan is still unemployed. There has to be some one out there who is better than Hackett.
    www.gamersconspiracy.com - where gamers conspire
  • better days
    • Jan 2010

Re: I say we keep Marrone through his 3rd year...

Originally posted by ublinkwescore View Post
    Why not give him the standard 3 years? No other legitimate coaching candidates will even consider Buffalo without a legitimate shot at a franchise qb... maybe we will get lucky and see him fire Hackett and bring on a real oc... mike shanahan is still unemployed. There has to be some one out there who is better than Hackett.
    Joe B on WGR this morning said he thinks Marrone is behind the putrid play calling by Hackett.

In other words, Hackett is being more conservative than he would be if Marrone were not involved.

If the Bills win less than 8 games, I want Marrone fired.

And I would not feel all that good about keeping him with 8 wins.

Comment

• Albany,n.y.
      • Jul 2002

Why not give him the standard 3 years? Because it only takes 2 years to determine a coach is a dud, and right now Marrone is in dud territory. Why waste another year when a new coach can start to bring the type of players he wants in next year instead of 2016. Also, why would an OC come here with a head coach on the top of the hot seat list going into his 3rd season?

No other legitimate coaching candidates will even consider Buffalo without a legitimate shot at a franchise qb... Total BS. Don't go using that old line because it simply isn't true. Usually a coaching vacancy is there because of bad QB play. A "legitimate" coach will have an ego large enough to think he can find his own QB.
      I hope you realize that no legitimate coaches have come here because the future was so uncertain with an owner in his 90s who had stated the team would be sold upon his passing. That's the reason & it had nothing to do with the QBs on the roster or the team's location in Buffalo.
      Last edited by Albany,n.y.; 11-17-2014, 08:57 AM.

Comment

• SpikedLemonade
        • Jun 2024

It is very much a timing issue.

If you don't extend a HC after his 2nd year of a 3 year contract, then he is going into his final year as a lame duck HC.

Assuming the Bills end up at 7-9 or worse, I don't think the Bills extend Marrone.

If the Bills end up at 8-8 or better, they definitely will extend him.

Comment

• The King
          Without me it's just Awe so
          • Jun 2004

They team quit on him last week. That can't happen again if he wants to keep his job.
          I remember that one fateful day when Coach took me aside. I knew what was coming. "You don't have to tell me," I said. "I'm off the team, aren't I?"
          "Well," said Coach, "you never were really ON the team. You made that uniform you're wearing out of rags and towels, and your helmet is a toy space helmet.
          You show up at practice and then either steal the ball and make us chase you to get it back, or you try to tackle people at inappropriate times."
          It was all
          true what he was saying. And yet, I thought something is brewing inside the head of this Coach.
          He sees something in me, some kind of raw talent that he can
          mold. But that's when I felt the handcuffs go on.

Comment

• Yasgur's Farm
            • Feb 2005

Marrone has a 5 year deal... No extension being tlked abt here.

Comment

• Bill Cody
              • Sep 2004

Originally posted by SpikedLemonade View Post
              It is very much a timing issue.

If you don't extend a HC after his 2nd year of a 3 year contract, then he is going into his final year as a lame duck HC.

Assuming the Bills end up at 7-9 or worse, I don't think the Bills extend Marrone.

If the Bills end up at 8-8 or better, they definitely will extend him.
              The NFL isn't like politics, players and coaches both can finish contracts and it isn't a big deal. I'm pretty sure Jim Harbough is on the last year of his deal in SF, has that been a problem? Why does Buffalo feel this need to always be diving for pens years ahead of time?

Comment

• better days
                • Jan 2010

Originally posted by Bill Cody View Post
                The NFL isn't like politics, players and coaches both can finish contracts and it isn't a big deal. I'm pretty sure Jim Harbough is on the last year of his deal in SF, has that been a problem? Why does Buffalo feel this need to always be diving for pens years ahead of time?
                If a HC has a staff in place, being a lame duck is not a big issue.

But a HC on the hot seat would have trouble changing anyone on his staff.

And few people think Harbough will be the 49ers HC after this year.

Comment

• TacklingDummy
                  Unreachable Douche
                  • Jul 2002

maybe we will get lucky and see him fire Hackett and bring on a real oc... mike shanahan is still unemployed. There has to be some one out there who is better than Hackett.
                  Hackett is only as good as the person he has under center.

Comment

• better days
                    • Jan 2010

Originally posted by TacklingDummy View Post
                    Hackett is only as good as the person he has under center.
                    That is probably true for Hackett, but a GOOD OC can make the person under center BETTER by calling plays to play up that players strengths & hide his weaknesses.

Comment

• trapezeus
                      Legendary Zoner
                      • Oct 2004

if the bills went after an OL coach guru, i'd be more likely to stand by marrone for 1 more year.

i don't think the shift on him when we were 5-3 to 5-5 is super fair. but i think he got more credit than he deserved when we looked good too!

what strikes me as different from previous years is that other teams in the 2000's seemed to have player issues. people who didn't want to be here, didn't buy what was being sold and as a result other players didn't want to come. in the last 2-3 years, they've changed that. we've gotten players to come, they geniunely seem like they want to stay and see things through. for the first time, the coaching seems to suck and the personnel is average to prettygood. it's not like we aren't giving the coach anything to work with.

That points back to marrone and all the levers at his disposal to pull. he hasn't pulled the right ones. if we didn't do the ownership change and we just knew that brandon gets promoted to super king president and everyone in the FO is safe, i'd rather stay with marrone. but since we have a new owner who doesn't mind change, i'd like to see some real change. having marrone come back would be disappointing, especially if he doesn't have a new OL coach and new Oc.

Comment

• better days
                        • Jan 2010

Originally posted by trapezeus View Post
                        if the bills went after an OL coach guru, i'd be more likely to stand by marrone for 1 more year.

i don't think the shift on him when we were 5-3 to 5-5 is super fair. but i think he got more credit than he deserved when we looked good too!

what strikes me as different from previous years is that other teams in the 2000's seemed to have player issues. people who didn't want to be here, didn't buy what was being sold and as a result other players didn't want to come. in the last 2-3 years, they've changed that. we've gotten players to come, they geniunely seem like they want to stay and see things through. for the first time, the coaching seems to suck and the personnel is average to prettygood. it's not like we aren't giving the coach anything to work with.

That points back to marrone and all the levers at his disposal to pull. he hasn't pulled the right ones. if we didn't do the ownership change and we just knew that brandon gets promoted to super king president and everyone in the FO is safe, i'd rather stay with marrone. but since we have a new owner who doesn't mind change, i'd like to see some real change. having marrone come back would be disappointing, especially if he doesn't have a new OL coach and new Oc.
                        The fact Marrone refused to play Urbik for a long period of time & refuses to play Mike Williams bothers me more than the record itself.

The Bills traded for Mike to replace Stevie & he would be a good replacement if Marrone used him.

Williams is the 2nd best WR on the team period.

And the fact the Bills have been terrible in the red zone & have scored only one TD in the last TWO games proves Mike needs to see action.

Comment

• stuckincincy
                          Buffalo Bills Fan
                          • Sep 2003

BUF has had 7 HC's since last making the playoffs 14 seasons ago. With 2 years in, he's hit the average.
                          Fiat justitia ruat caelum. Noli timere. Laus Deo.

Comment

• SpikedLemonade
                            • Jun 2024

Originally posted by Yasgur's Farm View Post
                            Marrone has a 5 year deal... No extension being tlked abt here.
                            What?

We gave a first time NFL HC coming off mediocre success at an irrelevant college program a 5 year deal?

It is only money that doesn't cost against the cap so if he needs to be fired so be it.

Comment

• better days
                              • Jan 2010

Originally posted by SpikedLemonade View Post
                              What?

We gave a first time NFL HC coming off mediocre success at an irrelevant college program a 5 year deal?

It is only money that doesn't cost against the cap so if he needs to be fired so be it.

I think the Marrone hire was a move by Brandon to entice Syracuse fans to become Bills fans.

Comment

Working...
                              X