PDA

View Full Version : I say we keep Marrone through his 3rd year...

ublinkwescore
11-17-2014, 08:37 AM
Why not give him the standard 3 years? No other legitimate coaching candidates will even consider Buffalo without a legitimate shot at a franchise qb... maybe we will get lucky and see him fire Hackett and bring on a real oc... mike shanahan is still unemployed. There has to be some one out there who is better than Hackett.

better days
11-17-2014, 08:45 AM
Why not give him the standard 3 years? No other legitimate coaching candidates will even consider Buffalo without a legitimate shot at a franchise qb... maybe we will get lucky and see him fire Hackett and bring on a real oc... mike shanahan is still unemployed. There has to be some one out there who is better than Hackett.

Joe B on WGR this morning said he thinks Marrone is behind the putrid play calling by Hackett.

In other words, Hackett is being more conservative than he would be if Marrone were not involved.

If the Bills win less than 8 games, I want Marrone fired.

And I would not feel all that good about keeping him with 8 wins.

Albany,n.y.
11-17-2014, 08:55 AM

Why not give him the standard 3 years? Because it only takes 2 years to determine a coach is a dud, and right now Marrone is in dud territory. Why waste another year when a new coach can start to bring the type of players he wants in next year instead of 2016. Also, why would an OC come here with a head coach on the top of the hot seat list going into his 3rd season?

No other legitimate coaching candidates will even consider Buffalo without a legitimate shot at a franchise qb... Total BS. Don't go using that old line because it simply isn't true. Usually a coaching vacancy is there because of bad QB play. A "legitimate" coach will have an ego large enough to think he can find his own QB.
I hope you realize that no legitimate coaches have come here because the future was so uncertain with an owner in his 90s who had stated the team would be sold upon his passing. That's the reason & it had nothing to do with the QBs on the roster or the team's location in Buffalo.

SpikedLemonade
11-17-2014, 09:32 AM
It is very much a timing issue.

If you don't extend a HC after his 2nd year of a 3 year contract, then he is going into his final year as a lame duck HC.

Assuming the Bills end up at 7-9 or worse, I don't think the Bills extend Marrone.

If the Bills end up at 8-8 or better, they definitely will extend him.

The King
11-17-2014, 10:34 AM
They team quit on him last week. That can't happen again if he wants to keep his job.

Yasgur's Farm
11-17-2014, 10:58 AM
Marrone has a 5 year deal... No extension being tlked abt here.

Bill Cody
11-17-2014, 11:21 AM
It is very much a timing issue.

If you don't extend a HC after his 2nd year of a 3 year contract, then he is going into his final year as a lame duck HC.

Assuming the Bills end up at 7-9 or worse, I don't think the Bills extend Marrone.

If the Bills end up at 8-8 or better, they definitely will extend him.

The NFL isn't like politics, players and coaches both can finish contracts and it isn't a big deal. I'm pretty sure Jim Harbough is on the last year of his deal in SF, has that been a problem? Why does Buffalo feel this need to always be diving for pens years ahead of time?

better days
11-17-2014, 11:25 AM
The NFL isn't like politics, players and coaches both can finish contracts and it isn't a big deal. I'm pretty sure Jim Harbough is on the last year of his deal in SF, has that been a problem? Why does Buffalo feel this need to always be diving for pens years ahead of time?

If a HC has a staff in place, being a lame duck is not a big issue.

But a HC on the hot seat would have trouble changing anyone on his staff.

And few people think Harbough will be the 49ers HC after this year.

TacklingDummy
11-17-2014, 11:25 AM
maybe we will get lucky and see him fire Hackett and bring on a real oc... mike shanahan is still unemployed. There has to be some one out there who is better than Hackett.

Hackett is only as good as the person he has under center.

better days
11-17-2014, 11:29 AM

That is probably true for Hackett, but a GOOD OC can make the person under center BETTER by calling plays to play up that players strengths & hide his weaknesses.

trapezeus
11-17-2014, 11:46 AM
if the bills went after an OL coach guru, i'd be more likely to stand by marrone for 1 more year.

i don't think the shift on him when we were 5-3 to 5-5 is super fair. but i think he got more credit than he deserved when we looked good too!

what strikes me as different from previous years is that other teams in the 2000's seemed to have player issues. people who didn't want to be here, didn't buy what was being sold and as a result other players didn't want to come. in the last 2-3 years, they've changed that. we've gotten players to come, they geniunely seem like they want to stay and see things through. for the first time, the coaching seems to suck and the personnel is average to prettygood. it's not like we aren't giving the coach anything to work with.

That points back to marrone and all the levers at his disposal to pull. he hasn't pulled the right ones. if we didn't do the ownership change and we just knew that brandon gets promoted to super king president and everyone in the FO is safe, i'd rather stay with marrone. but since we have a new owner who doesn't mind change, i'd like to see some real change. having marrone come back would be disappointing, especially if he doesn't have a new OL coach and new Oc.

better days
11-17-2014, 11:54 AM
if the bills went after an OL coach guru, i'd be more likely to stand by marrone for 1 more year.

i don't think the shift on him when we were 5-3 to 5-5 is super fair. but i think he got more credit than he deserved when we looked good too!

what strikes me as different from previous years is that other teams in the 2000's seemed to have player issues. people who didn't want to be here, didn't buy what was being sold and as a result other players didn't want to come. in the last 2-3 years, they've changed that. we've gotten players to come, they geniunely seem like they want to stay and see things through. for the first time, the coaching seems to suck and the personnel is average to prettygood. it's not like we aren't giving the coach anything to work with.

That points back to marrone and all the levers at his disposal to pull. he hasn't pulled the right ones. if we didn't do the ownership change and we just knew that brandon gets promoted to super king president and everyone in the FO is safe, i'd rather stay with marrone. but since we have a new owner who doesn't mind change, i'd like to see some real change. having marrone come back would be disappointing, especially if he doesn't have a new OL coach and new Oc.

The fact Marrone refused to play Urbik for a long period of time & refuses to play Mike Williams bothers me more than the record itself.

The Bills traded for Mike to replace Stevie & he would be a good replacement if Marrone used him.

Williams is the 2nd best WR on the team period.

And the fact the Bills have been terrible in the red zone & have scored only one TD in the last TWO games proves Mike needs to see action.

stuckincincy
11-17-2014, 12:21 PM

BUF has had 7 HC's since last making the playoffs 14 seasons ago. With 2 years in, he's hit the average. :mbb:

SpikedLemonade
11-17-2014, 12:23 PM
Marrone has a 5 year deal... No extension being tlked abt here.

What?

We gave a first time NFL HC coming off mediocre success at an irrelevant college program a 5 year deal?

It is only money that doesn't cost against the cap so if he needs to be fired so be it.

better days
11-17-2014, 12:53 PM
What?

We gave a first time NFL HC coming off mediocre success at an irrelevant college program a 5 year deal?

It is only money that doesn't cost against the cap so if he needs to be fired so be it.

I think the Marrone hire was a move by Brandon to entice Syracuse fans to become Bills fans.

sudzy
11-17-2014, 04:19 PM
I think the Marrone hire was a move by Brandon to entice Syracuse fans to become Bills fans.

It's what happens when you put a salesman in charge of things. He doesn't think in terms of "how can I get this team to 10 win?", he thinks "how can I maximize my customer base?"

Typ0
11-17-2014, 04:50 PM
I have seen enough of Maroon he needs to go. Find a coach who will let his players play and who is willing to take a chance.

swiper
11-17-2014, 05:13 PM

I think Brandon saw himself as hiring what he felt was the Jim Boeheim of football. LOL.

The Jokeman
11-17-2014, 05:22 PM
I'm all for keeping Marrone around and I'm on the fence on Hackett as I think he's trying to build an offense but lacks some tools. That said the first coach I'd want fired this offseason is O-line coach Pat Morris.

The Jokeman
11-17-2014, 05:27 PM
The fact Marrone refused to play Urbik for a long period of time & refuses to play Mike Williams bothers me more than the record itself.

The Bills traded for Mike to replace Stevie & he would be a good replacement if Marrone used him.

Williams is the 2nd best WR on the team period.

And the fact the Bills have been terrible in the red zone & have scored only one TD in the last TWO games proves Mike needs to see action.

The problem is Stevie and Mike play different positions. Yes both are WRs but Stevie played the slot and Williams played on the outside. The team thought Woods could transition to the slot and take over for Stevie and Williams would replace Woods on the outside. Yet Woods has shown that he's better on the outside and why he, Watkins and Hogan are seeing the field. Yet I'm unsure why we don't use Watkins in the slot as his with his size/speed you'd think he'd be a mismatch.

BertSquirtgum
11-17-2014, 07:47 PM

I say NO. Because he sucks and lacks a pair of testicles.

Mr. Cynical
11-17-2014, 07:47 PM

No.

paladin warrior
11-17-2014, 07:53 PM
:pound:-NO!

stuckincincy
11-17-2014, 08:38 PM
Changing HC's on average every 2 years has worked out as well for BUF as it has for CLE. What would your attitude be, if you knew that your boss, historically, gets axed after 2 years?

BUF coaching and GM management has been unstable for a decade and a half, and the players know it and know it's best to get the contract $ signed and prepare to deal with yet another management regime...every 2 years as far as HC goes, on average. Don't expect employee (player) enthusiasm under those circumstances...you go through the motions, you cash the paycheck.

better days
11-18-2014, 05:49 AM
Changing HC's on average every 2 years has worked out as well for BUF as it has for CLE. What would your attitude be, if you knew that your boss, historically, gets axed after 2 years?

BUF coaching and GM management has been unstable for a decade and a half, and the players know it and know it's best to get the contract $ signed and prepare to deal with yet another management regime...every 2 years as far as HC goes, on average. Don't expect employee (player) enthusiasm under those circumstances...you go through the motions, you cash the paycheck.

The stability of the Bengals Coaching has worked out great for them hasn't it?

Albany,n.y.
11-18-2014, 08:44 AM

"Under New Management" changes everything. Nobody can use the blunders of the past 15 years as evidence how things will be under the Pegulas.
If I was working for one owner & new ownership came in & made changes, I wouldn't be inclined to say here we go again, I'd take the optimistic view that maybe this time they'll bring someone in competent enough so that they won't be firing him any time soon.

I'll give you a real life example. As you know I used to work for NYS. My agency would change agency heads when a new governor would come in. When Spitzer was elected the Republican appointed head of the agency resigned, he was replaced by a Democrat. A couple of years later the new agency head was under investigation & resigned, he was replaced by his assistant who was then fired 2 years later when the agency merged with a bigger one and replaced. So from 2006-2011 the agency had 4 different agency heads. It didn't affect the staff one way or another.

The players don't care how many changes take place. They just want a coach & GM who will get them winning. If Marrone & Whaley get fired & some high profile people come in, most of the employees will greet it with optimism & understand that the new owners want their own people.

jamze132
11-18-2014, 01:46 PM

Agreed. Our O-line sucks too.

The problem with Hackett is that he doesn't know how to change his scheme as the game goes on. He either doesn't see what the defense is doing effectively throughout the game or he doesn't know how to counter it. I believe he's in way over his head at this level and just isn't quite ready yet. He might turn out to be a fine OC one day but Marrone's career is in Hackett's hands.