PDA

View Full Version : Ryan Mallett

k-oneputt
11-17-2014, 01:23 PM
He looked pretty damn good to me this past Sunday beating Cleveland.

Hey we could have taken him in the 2011 draft over Kelvin Sheppard.

I know, I know he had bad attitude.
He has a cannon for an arm and he showed it in Cleveland, not that it would have helped playing in Buffalo.

So I guess we can keep developing EJ and hope.

I will say it again. Draft a qb every year until you find on to develop that has upside.

2015 NFL draft, 2nd rd. the Buffalo Bills take Conner Cook.
Let him sit a couple of years learning behind Orton/EJ mess and move on.

OpIv37
11-17-2014, 01:26 PM
If we had drafted Mallett, we never would have been able to trade Sheppard for Hughes, which means the D wouldn't be as good.

And Mallet is even more flat-footed than Orton. He's be a sitting duck behind this Swiss cheese OL.

k-oneputt
11-17-2014, 01:39 PM
Ok. I guess we will keep on keeping on with the EJ program.

Wake me up in 3 years when we draft another qb.

DraftBoy
11-17-2014, 02:23 PM
Cook says he's going back and if he goes out some are saying he's possible the top pick at QB over Mariota. He's got the best pure arm of any draft eligible QB.

trapezeus
11-17-2014, 02:49 PM
i'm done with over-reacting about QB's performances both good and bad in a small sample of work.

Mallet will reveal his true self over about 10-15 games of regular play. once people have a feel for him, if he doesn't respond to their adjustments, he'll disappear. if he gets better, then good for him

Figster
11-17-2014, 02:58 PM
i'm done with over-reacting about QB's performances both good and bad in a small sample of work.

Mallet will reveal his true self over about 10-15 games of regular play. once people have a feel for him, if he doesn't respond to their adjustments, he'll disappear. if he gets better, then good for him

you gotta like how that big cannon of his is looking though,

and his 1st NFL TD goes to Watt, thats hilarious (great catch)

justasportsfan
11-17-2014, 03:13 PM
If Mallet is a future franchise qb, why did the Pats let him go?

Bill Cody
11-17-2014, 03:20 PM
you gotta like how that big cannon of his is looking though,

and his 1st NFL TD goes to Watt, thats hilarious (great catch)

the word on him in NE was yes big arm but questionable work ethic, resists coaching, slow feet, gets rattled under pressure. He basically never played in NE so we will see, he gets to play now. But my guess is he fails.

Ingtar33
11-17-2014, 03:51 PM
he had the strongest arm coming out of college i've seen since Bledsoe. i mean those type of guys are in a class by themselves. there are plenty of strong armed qbs... the number of qbs who make the rest look weak is pretty small. Elway, Jeff George, Favre and Bledsoe all managed it. Mallet's arm definately should be included in that group. In terms of pure strength mind you. I wouldn't start putting him at the level of accuracy or talent of a number of those guys.

Figster
11-17-2014, 03:58 PM
the word on him in NE was yes big arm but questionable work ethic, resists coaching, slow feet, gets rattled under pressure. He basically never played in NE so we will see, he gets to play now. But my guess is he fails.

You must admit though when the comparison is Tom Brady its hard to measure up.

Goobylal
11-17-2014, 04:15 PM
The next great young QB...who fizzles after a couple games.

stuckincincy
11-17-2014, 04:55 PM
he had the strongest arm coming out of college i've seen since Bledsoe. i mean those type of guys are in a class by themselves. there are plenty of strong armed qbs... the number of qbs who make the rest look weak is pretty small. Elway, Jeff George, Favre and Bledsoe all managed it. Mallet's arm definately should be included in that group. In terms of pure strength mind you. I wouldn't start putting him at the level of accuracy or talent of a number of those guys.

Greg Cook and James Harris.

Too bad Cook was injured when surgery wasn't as capable as today. He would have been phenomenal...

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/01/27/former-bengals-quarterback-greg-cook-dies-at-65/

swiper
11-17-2014, 05:01 PM
He looked pretty damn good to me this past Sunday beating Cleveland.

Hey we could have taken him in the 2011 draft over Kelvin Sheppard.

I know, I know he had bad attitude.
He has a cannon for an arm and he showed it in Cleveland, not that it would have helped playing in Buffalo.

So I guess we can keep developing EJ and hope.

I will say it again. Draft a qb every year until you find on to develop that has upside.

2015 NFL draft, 2nd rd. the Buffalo Bills take Conner Cook.
Let him sit a couple of years learning behind Orton/EJ mess and move on.

But, wait....

Nighttrain told us Mallett was no good.

feldspar
11-17-2014, 06:24 PM
I like Mallett because I won a lot of money betting for/against him when he was with Arkansas.

Mr. Cynical
11-17-2014, 07:49 PM
No brains, no gains.

Mr. Miyagi
11-17-2014, 08:31 PM
If we had drafted Mallett, we never would have been able to trade Sheppard for Hughes, which means the D wouldn't be as good.

And Mallet is even more flat-footed than Orton. He's be a sitting duck behind this Swiss cheese OL.
Mallett makes Bledsoe look like Michael Vick.

kscdogbillsfan1221
11-18-2014, 07:06 AM

strong arm, questionable work ethic, rattled under pressure? See JaMarcus Russell. lol

Bill Cody
11-18-2014, 08:11 AM
You must admit though when the comparison is Tom Brady its hard to measure up.

It is. But those are reasons why they decided to draft another QB.

k-oneputt
11-18-2014, 09:58 AM
O'Brien is familiar with Mallett and I took notice it didn't take him long to go get him once he got in Houston.

He has all the physical skills. And for the record I would rather have the big pocket passer over the scrambler for the NFL game.

Time will tell.

The King
11-18-2014, 10:14 AM
We could've had Mallet for next to nothing 10 weeks ago.

better days
11-18-2014, 10:18 AM
We could've had Mallet for next to nothing 10 weeks ago.

For good reason.

k-oneputt
11-18-2014, 10:18 AM
Yes true, but the move was before the season started Orton or Mallett.

I can see going with the vet Orton at that time.

Mallett would have been more of the future type move, which wasn't happening with EJ still aound.
It would have taken some big balls by Whaley at that time.

starrymessenger
11-18-2014, 01:04 PM
Yes true, but the move was before the season started Orton or Mallett.

I can see going with the vet Orton at that time.

Mallett would have been more of the future type move, which wasn't happening with EJ still aound.
It would have taken some big balls by Whaley at that time.

Im pretty sure that neither Whaley nor anyone else at OBD packs the kind of hardware of which you speak.

Goobylal
11-23-2014, 02:42 PM
The next great young QB...who fizzles after a couple games.
Like I said...

stuckincincy
11-23-2014, 03:03 PM
Like I said...

Watched the CIN@HOU game. I'd give him some seasoning. Decent footwork. He picked up 70 or so garbage yards with under 2 minutes down by 9. Ended up 21-45, 189 yds., zero td, 1 pick, no sacks against visitor CIN. Andre Johnson was terrible - snagged 3 of 12, under heavy coverage. HOU staff should have noted that CIN was shutting him down. HOU did get aid from a rogue ref; the head ref overturned at least two calls by that chap.

Mace
11-23-2014, 03:36 PM
I suppose to me, the thing to keep in mind about even the unfinished Mallett, is that he spent time around Belichick, the Patriot way, had McDaniels (as OC/QB coach) and Brady to learn from.

As for the Bills, I'm not sure they know how to "develop" a QB who needs work, they never have. Behind this O-line with less exp/slower release and reads than Orton, Mallett would be getting beaten senseless.

As for why they got rid of him, Belichick cycles his backups for newer models every so many years now that Brady is aging. Cassel to Hoyer, Hoyer to Mallett, Mallett to Garoppolo. I don't really think it reflects on the players themselves, and O'Brien retained Belichick's favor, so I'd guess O'Brien knew exactly what he was getting.

A ways to go though before the book is written on Mallett. I have a feeling though O'Brien and his QB coach Godsey (ex Patriots) will do a better job with him than Marrone/Hackett/failsauceDetroitQBcoach guy would do.

Does seem weird to me they went from a mobile Fitz to a not mobile Mallett though, but then again, O'Brien is still building his program as he intends to.

Night Train
11-23-2014, 04:55 PM
My Precious !

His rep in college was choking in the clutch. Pats didn't see enough improvement otherwise.

No thanks.

Mr. Pink
11-23-2014, 04:58 PM
He's more of a statue than Orton but unlike Orton he still has upside.

That being said, this o-line would likely get him killed.

better days
11-23-2014, 05:17 PM
I suppose to me, the thing to keep in mind about even the unfinished Mallett, is that he spent time around Belichick, the Patriot way, had McDaniels (as OC/QB coach) and Brady to learn from.

As for the Bills, I'm not sure they know how to "develop" a QB who needs work, they never have. Behind this O-line with less exp/slower release and reads than Orton, Mallett would be getting beaten senseless.

As for why they got rid of him, Belichick cycles his backups for newer models every so many years now that Brady is aging. Cassel to Hoyer, Hoyer to Mallett, Mallett to Garoppolo. I don't really think it reflects on the players themselves, and O'Brien retained Belichick's favor, so I'd guess O'Brien knew exactly what he was getting.

A ways to go though before the book is written on Mallett. I have a feeling though O'Brien and his QB coach Godsey (ex Patriots) will do a better job with him than Marrone/Hackett/failsauceDetroitQBcoach guy would do.

Does seem weird to me they went from a mobile Fitz to a not mobile Mallett though, but then again, O'Brien is still building his program as he intends to.

Yeah, O'Brien knows exactly what he is getting.

A QB worth no more than a 6th rnd pick.

And Mallett will have to play 40% of the Texans plays this year or the Pats* only get a 7th rnd pick for him.

Mace
11-23-2014, 05:45 PM
Yeah, O'Brien knows exactly what he is getting.

A QB worth no more than a 6th rnd pick.

And Mallett will have to play 40% of the Texans plays this year or the Pats* only get a 7th rnd pick for him.

I'm not really a Mallett fan, but it sort of shows you a philosophy in taking a flyer on young over old, vs. us needing a flyer on old over young to make a statement on which program is more needy.

stuckincincy
11-23-2014, 06:57 PM
I'm not really a Mallett fan, but it sort of shows you a philosophy in taking a flyer on young over old, vs. us needing a flyer on old over young to make a statement on which program is more needy.

Mallett picked up the late yards with CIN playing strict prevent, but all in all, he looked ok - didn't make any glaring mistakes, the one pick was a nice play by a cincy player, and two passes that were possible picks - the type that comes quick and the db goes damn-damn-damn.

better days
11-23-2014, 10:32 PM
Mallett picked up the late yards with CIN playing strict prevent, but all in all, he looked ok - didn't make any glaring mistakes, the one pick was a nice play by a cincy player, and two passes that were possible picks - the type that comes quick and the db goes damn-damn-damn.

Wait until Mallett plays a few more games & teams have film on him.

feldspar
11-24-2014, 12:32 AM
Wait until Mallett plays a few more games & teams have film on him.

He may be done for the season.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000433445/article/texans-ryan-mallett-might-have-torn-right-pectoral

Night Train
11-24-2014, 03:38 AM
..and another desperate obsession dies a quick death..

swiper
11-24-2014, 04:25 AM
..and another desperate obsession dies a quick death..

LOL at those that wanted to give EJ Manuel enough rope to hang himself a dozen times over and then write off Mallet after one game.

better days
11-24-2014, 06:53 AM
LOL at those that wanted to give EJ Manuel enough rope to hang himself a dozen times over and then write off Mallet after one game.

Well, I wrote Mallett off before that one game.

Novacane
11-24-2014, 06:59 AM
He was as inaccurate as EJ.

Mr. Pink
11-24-2014, 01:30 PM
Well apparently Houston's line got Ryan Mallet killed instead. :rofl:

What's next for them? Tom Savage time?

swiper
11-24-2014, 01:34 PM
Meanwhile Carr continues to develop for Oakland.

Bill Cody
11-24-2014, 01:43 PM
Well apparently Houston's line got Ryan Mallet killed instead. :rofl:

did they? I didn't see the play he got hurt on. You'd need 5 blocks of granite to protect Mallett

Mr. Pink
11-24-2014, 06:28 PM
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000433895/article/thad-lewis-agrees-to-terms-with-houston-texans

:rofl:

Thad has a new job!

swiper
11-24-2014, 08:35 PM
Mallett tore a pectoral muscle. Out for the year. Anyone want to back track on their hate?

better days
11-24-2014, 08:53 PM
Mallett tore a pectoral muscle. Out for the year. Anyone want to back track on their hate?

WHY?