PDA

View Full Version : Woo, the Bills are geo-targeting !

Mace
11-21-2014, 10:02 PM
I find this needlessly antagonizing, does the witless Brandon not comprehend we have a grasp of GPS cell phone technology ? Does he think himself so sharp we might think the Bills have a secret geo-targeting technology and maybe a satellite ? Could he not say "We figured where the most players where, sent them to places together and picked them up."

No no, it's so much more complex than that but you can't possibly understand it because Russ Brandon has a command of technology you can only hope to wonder at.

The jackass.

To make sure that players made it to One Bills Drive to board buses that would take them to Friday’s flight, the Bills, according to Brandon, “geo-targeted the players and tried to find what the biggest stress points were amongst our athletes and their families.”

http://www.buffalonews.com/sports/bills-nfl/odd-week-for-bills-will-have-fitting-climax-20141121

GreedoII
11-22-2014, 06:01 AM
I can't stand listening to his drivel anymore. He talks out of his ass more than his stupid mouth which is also irritating. Just go away!!!!!

Fletch
11-22-2014, 07:01 AM
I find this needlessly antagonizing, does the witless Brandon not comprehend we have a grasp of GPS cell phone technology ? Does he think himself so sharp we might think the Bills have a secret geo-targeting technology and maybe a satellite ? Could he not say "We figured where the most players where, sent them to places together and picked them up."

No no, it's so much more complex than that but you can't possibly understand it because Russ Brandon has a command of technology you can only hope to wonder at.

I think that we're at that predictable point of the season where many are overemphasizing every little negative thing about the team although I hear ya.

Having said that, this is a nice little snap-shot microcosm of how this team over reacts to things like this, "metrics," cash-to-cap, etc. Lotsa words in this front office but at the core no one there has the brains to make the most important decisions properly or even how to use information, as in the whole metrics thing, as if that was new. Well, I guess it was to them. Been around for decades for the better run teams otherwise.

I'm not sure I'd say antagonizing, more condescending, like you say, as if we're all technologically illiterate or ignorant, or as if this is some logistical problem that Brandon's skills are particularly suited to or something and not a basic run-of-the-mill one.

That seems to be the hallmark of this FO though, this being smarter-by-half kind of mentality. That's why we reach by 1-3 rounds for a QB, and why we trade next season's 1st and 4th for a WR that doesn't do what they said he would.

This is just another example of that.

Probably why we're playing the game in Detroit too instead of say the Carrier Dome too. Historian pointed out that they don't have a jail, MRIs, or operating rooms, but the hospital is close by and a makeshift jail could easily have been done. It would have made a ton more sense and given the Monday Night nature of the game there would have been a lot more enthusiastic fans. Who's going to make the trip to Detroit, which has to go through all that snow in other places too, if not crossing through Canada's border twice, each way, and requiring passports now? The place is going to be mostly empty. I think that they would have had to refund a lot fewer tix if the game had been in Syracuse and the chances of selling extra tix would be existent instead of non-existent now.

IlluminatusUIUC
11-22-2014, 07:10 AM
“It’s really just us being honed into our iPads,” Hughes said. “The NFL gave us that technology to use, and we’ve really been just taking full advantage of that from just film-watching and being able to kind of talk and text with our coaches. If we see certain things – new things, new tips – that’s really how everyone’s been in communication.”

It cracks me up every single time they call them iPads. Microsoft paid some ungodly amount of money for all the tablets in the league to be Surfaces and literally nobody in the NFL can tell the difference. All that money is just hyping Apple. :rofl:

Fletch
11-22-2014, 07:45 AM
It cracks me up every single time they call them iPads. Microsoft paid some ungodly amount of money for all the tablets in the league to be Surfaces and literally nobody in the NFL can tell the difference. All that money is just hyping Apple. :rofl:

It's kind of like every facial tissue being called a Kleenex or every skin bandage being called a Band-Aid.

That's what happens when you're the first to come out with something.

IlluminatusUIUC
11-22-2014, 07:58 AM
It's kind of like every facial tissue being called a Kleenex or every skin bandage being called a Band-Aid.

That's what happens when you're the first to come out with something.

They weren't the first to come out with it, but the fact that you think they were shows how pervasive and successful their branding has been.

X-Era
11-22-2014, 08:15 AM

The jackass.

http://www.buffalonews.com/sports/bills-nfl/odd-week-for-bills-will-have-fitting-climax-20141121He's using overhead drones to look through the population for DNA markers to locate the players. Then coordinating the National Guard to air lift them to the bus hubs.

Fletch
11-22-2014, 08:57 AM
They weren't the first to come out with it, but the fact that you think they were shows how pervasive and successful their branding has been.

No doubt

I'm also not a techno guru. I have a tablet but at this point technology is well beyond what I need to live on a daily basis either for work or for play. To me a lot of these new gadgets coming out are nothing but frills. Many of their uses are redundant. Some of them seem to be out simply because they can be and not particularly making anything that much easier, just somewhat interesting.

feldspar
11-22-2014, 09:06 AM

That's good, because I own Apple stocks. I'm thinking of dumping other stocks and investing more in Apple.

DraftBoy
11-22-2014, 09:09 AM

$400 Million in case you were curious.

IlluminatusUIUC
11-22-2014, 09:18 AM
No doubt

I'm also not a techno guru. I have a tablet but at this point technology is well beyond what I need to live on a daily basis either for work or for play. To me a lot of these new gadgets coming out are nothing but frills. Many of their uses are redundant. Some of them seem to be out simply because they can be and not particularly making anything that much easier, just somewhat interesting.

That's true. I feel pretty tech savvy but a lot is indeed fluff. I like have a smartphone for streaming music and an e-reader if I travel, but there's a huge amount of stuff out there that just makes me scratch my head.

That's good, because I own Apple stocks. I'm thinking of dumping other stocks and investing more in Apple.

It's not a bad idea. They're a good company, and at this point their brand loyalty is so strong that they could paint their logo on a brick and people would camp for two days to get it first.

$400 Million in case you were curious.

That repetitive thumping sound is a Microsoft marketing exec slamming his head on a desk.

HAMMER
11-22-2014, 09:27 AM

The jackass.

http://www.buffalonews.com/sports/bills-nfl/odd-week-for-bills-will-have-fitting-climax-20141121

Really, this bothers you why? Some of you need to get a life.

Fletch
11-22-2014, 02:37 PM
That's true. I feel pretty tech savvy but a lot is indeed fluff. I like have a smartphone for streaming music and an e-reader if I travel, but there's a huge amount of stuff out there that just makes me scratch my head.

Strangely I still prefer to read paper books. I'm not sure why I don't like reading as much on a tablet. I just don't.

YardRat
11-22-2014, 04:32 PM
http://s2.quickmeme.com/img/bc/bc39fd77b95c22fff332e8bf38ff78b52c88da48826447d3e7d37579740f2cf7.jpg

BillsImpossible
11-22-2014, 05:24 PM
Russ Brandon needs to keep it simple stupid.

Terry Pegula is a very smart and and very simple kind of guy. He'd rather drive 500 miles by himself instead of hopping on his personal jet to go see a future prospect.

“geo-targeted the players and tried to find what the biggest stress points were amongst our athletes and their families.”

Does Russ Brandon understand how stupid this sounds?

If I was Terry Pegula and Russ Brandon said that to me, I'd immediately ask Russ, "WTF does that mean?"

Isn't that just a fancy way of saying he made a few phone calls?

'Geo-targeted,' = buh bye.

Buh...

Bye.

BillsImpossible
11-22-2014, 05:34 PM
Russ Brandon gets a lot of praise for his marketing skills.

Is the praise really warranted though?

Selling football in WNY is like selling beer.

It's not hard to sell beer.

Mace
11-22-2014, 05:40 PM

Well, as Fletch pointed out, and it's true, I'm at the predictable point of the season where every little negative thing that strikes me, makes me cranky.

But also, I can't stand people who speak in catch phrases as a matter of course to appear impressive when simple words work just fine. People who speak "to" you, speak normally, people who talk "at" you speak another way entirely. Don't get me wrong, I like words. But catch phrases, while they may have their place in settings where people are trying to impress one another, annoy heck out of me when used to project the appearance of superior intellect, which is how Brandon's comment struck me.

Come on :

geo-targeted the players and tried to find what the biggest stress points were amongst our athletes and their families

What's that supposed to mean anyway ? "the biggest stress points among your athletes and their families" that you can learn after geo-targeting them ? Doesn't mean anything whatever. It's gibberish. Annoyed me.

swiper
11-22-2014, 05:43 PM
Russ Brandon geo-targets Kim Kardashian's ass in his spare time.

BillsImpossible
11-22-2014, 05:59 PM

Russ Brandon said something stupid. One would think that the head marketing guru for the Bills would know that saying such a thing sounds dumber than Dumb and Dumber To.

BillsImpossible
11-22-2014, 06:20 PM
"Geo-strategery."

Fletch
11-22-2014, 06:23 PM
"Geo-strategery."

LOL

Geo-buffoonery

trapezeus
11-24-2014, 07:50 AM
i agree with Mace; it is talking up something he probably had little to do with.

on your iphones, there a feature where you can send your location to someone. it's free. it's on the phone. and for most of the players, it looks like they posted that they were at home. so if you have the old fashioned paper roster most of our workplaces keep, they'd find them fast.

it just cements the snakeoil salesman status of brandon. "go get your teeth whitened some more, brandon!"