PDA

View Full Version : Playoffs be damned, this team is much improved over last year

Forward_Lateral
11-25-2014, 05:29 AM
You can't argue that. The Defense is scary. Yes, the offense still has many issues to get worked out, but when they give Orton time, the offense is very efficient. I though the O-line did pretty good last night. Orton got hit a few times, and had to throw it away, but not like the last 2 weeks.

The Jets looked completely unprepared. I don't know if the Bills did anything different than the last time they beat the snot out of them, but it must be awful to be a Jets fan right now. You think the Bills have QB issues? Yikes.

I think after all the city of Buffalo and surrounding areas, and the Bills, went through last week, a win like that was beyond impressive. Think about it. The Jets had 14 days to prepare. The Bills had 3, if that.

They didn't eek out a win. They stomped a snow hole and walked it dry.

Win of the season so far, IMO.

Fletch
11-25-2014, 07:32 AM
OK, I'll be the wet blanket today.

You can't argue that. The Defense is scary. Yes, the offense still has many issues to get worked out, but when they give Orton time, the offense is very efficient. I though the O-line did pretty good last night. Orton got hit a few times, and had to throw it away, but not like the last 2 weeks.

The Jets looked completely unprepared. I don't know if the Bills did anything different than the last time they beat the snot out of them, but it must be awful to be a Jets fan right now. You think the Bills have QB issues? Yikes.

I think after all the city of Buffalo and surrounding areas, and the Bills, went through last week, a win like that was beyond impressive. Think about it. The Jets had 14 days to prepare. The Bills had 3, if that.

They didn't eek out a win. They stomped a snow hole and walked it dry.

Win of the season so far, IMO.

You kind of contradict yourself above. Was the defense scary because the Jets were completely unprepared? I don't think that the Jets would have beaten any team yesterday, including Oakland or Jax playing the way that they were. I agree, and so did just about everyone else based on the GDT comments, the Jets sucked and were unprepared.

The facts are that against the Jets we've averaged 40.5 ppg and against the rest of the schedule we've averaged 17.4 ppg. That's not a good indicator overall.

The Jets in fact have the second worst point-differential in the entire league ahead of only Jax, hardly impressive. This may be the worst Jets team since '96 when Reich was their QB.

You say that the D is scary, well it wasn't scary against the Pats, Chargers, Houston or Miami two weeks ago.

I'm going to lay this out there, that the D is overrated and only ranked where it is because we've only played one above average offense all season, the Pats, and that was anything but even an average defensive performance with LaFell and Tyms doing their damage.

Here are the present rankings of the offenses that we've faced so far this season:

Yardage: 7th (L), 16th (W), 17th (split - Miami), 18th (L), 20th (L), 21st (W), 23rd (L), 29th (2 W's - Jets), 30th (W)

Scoring: 1st (L), 10th (split - Miami), 13th (L), 15th (L), 16th (L), 20th (W), 27th (W), 28th (W), 30th (2 L's - Jets)

In short, we haven't beat a single team ranked better than 20th in scoring offense or ranked better than 16th in yardage offense, after that one better than 21st in yardage offense.

Couldn't it be that we've simply gotten a good draw of the schedule in terms of been handed the worse offensive teams in the league to play, which clearly impacts our stats?

Besides Oakland who's ranked last in yardage offense and 31st in scoring offense, remaining we face the 3rd, 7th, 9th, and 10th ranked yardage offense and the 1st, 2nd, 5th, and 16th ranked scoring offenses.

I think that that's going to tell us how good our D is.

It would be a planning mistake to overrate the D based on having played nothing but below average offenses. That's not going to happen every season.

We've played only three teams presently seeded to make the playoffs and lost all three games, twice not having played great D, with two of those teams, SD and KC, being west coast teams that had to play us here. KC is ranked 23rd in yardage and 13th in scoring, below average. In two of those games we had only 2 sacks each and no INTs.

I think that our games against Denver, GB, and NE are going to be an eye opener for us. Either way, I'll make a prediction now, that by the end of the season our yardage D is within 10 ypg of what we were last season, and that our scoring D will drop out of the top-12 despite having played more below average offenses than above average ones.

The DL is excellent, but we still have holes, that are going to be exposed upcoming, in the secondary and LB units.

Either way, if we can't start doing better against teams ranked above average in offense, our D isn't scary except against below average offenses.

Forward_Lateral
11-25-2014, 07:34 AM
I did not read a single word of that garbage.

coastal
11-25-2014, 07:36 AM
lolz

Fletch
11-25-2014, 07:40 AM

OK, and I'm supposed to do what with that? I'm happy for you otherwise. Congratulations. LOL

I was just throwing out some facts that IMO any true Bills fan should be concerned about.

trapezeus
11-25-2014, 08:05 AM
is it possible when the bills actually have some offensive support that the d can rush the QB without issue. when the d is in a mode to stop the opposing team and potentially score points, they aren't as effective.

i've never seen someone struggle so hard to stay with their start of season thesis, fletch.

the bills d gets zero support most games. even in the wins, it comes from ST and short fields with an offense that happens to score a td. they never have a decent amount off.

they are very good. get that through that thick head of yours.

better days
11-25-2014, 08:22 AM

Well, I read the first sentence.

"OK, I'll be the wet blanket today."

As if today is any different than any other day.

Ginger Vitis
11-25-2014, 08:48 AM
i've never seen someone struggle so hard to stay with their start of season thesis, fletch.

Before the start of the season Felch guaranteed the defense would be much worse off this season compared to last years defense

notacon
11-25-2014, 08:55 AM
:rofl: The Jets are probably the worst team in the NFL right now.

The Bills went from being really ****ty last year to just ****ty this.

SpikedLemonade
11-25-2014, 09:18 AM
We are definitely better than last year.

Still not good enough.

Dr. Who
11-25-2014, 09:26 AM
OK, I'll be the wet blanket today.

And every day.

Night Train
11-25-2014, 09:30 AM
They lack an OC, which cost us dearly in 2-3 games. That's why we're not in the drivers seat for a WC spot. Talent is evident.

The D has played playoff caliber football. Schwartz has been a godsend but it may be all for not..

WagonCircler
11-25-2014, 09:37 AM
This Jests have two absolute morons, and I mean that in the clinical sense, for QBs. A six year old could manage an Offense smarter than Vick or his mini-me.

The problem is, we also have two inadequate QBs. We can get by with Orton, provided we get him a couple of competent Guards, but getting by is not enough. And with EJ, he just needs to go away.

So the team is better, but they're still a fancy looking muscle car with $5,000 rims and a GM 250 Straight Six engine.

The QB situation has been one of malpractice of the highest magnitude.

Better is not good enough.

Forward_Lateral
11-25-2014, 10:00 AM
is it possible when the bills actually have some offensive support that the d can rush the QB without issue. when the d is in a mode to stop the opposing team and potentially score points, they aren't as effective.

the bills d gets zero support most games. even in the wins, it comes from ST and short fields with an offense that happens to score a td. they never have a decent amount off.

they are very good. get that through that thick head of yours.

It's all about field position. I'd like to see the stats, but I'm pretty sure when the opponent's starting field position is at their own 35 or greater, the Bills' D becomes more vulnerable and tends to give up points.

When they are pinned inside the 25, they seem to be able to force a lot of 3 and outs.

Forward_Lateral
11-25-2014, 10:02 AM
They lack an OC, which cost us dearly in 2-3 games. That's why we're not in the drivers seat for a WC spot. Talent is evident.

The D has played playoff caliber football. Schwartz has been a godsend but it may be all for not..

It depends on how you measure success. Isn't a 9-7 season somewhat of a success? I know it won't make the playoffs, but wouldn't you see that as a great stepping stone? Or are you in playoffs or nothing mode? I understand if you are, it's only been a bazillion years since they made it.