PDA

View Full Version : Broke and broken

Dr. Lecter
11-26-2014, 08:56 PM
ORLANDO, Fla. – Those closest to Darryl Talley are terrified. His wife, daughters and former teammates openly cry for him. They lament what has befallen him. They dread what his future might hold. ¶ Talley’s life is in tatters. Loved ones say his mind is deteriorating. He’s begrudgingly starting to agree. ¶ He’s 54, but his body is a wreck and continues to crumble. He suspects collisions from playing linebacker for 14 NFL seasons, a dozen with the Buffalo Bills, have damaged his brain. He’s often depressed beyond the point of tears. ¶ He’s bitter at the National Football League for discarding him and denying that he’s too disabled to work anymore. He says the Bills have jilted him, too. ¶ He learned after he retired that he’d played with a broken neck. ¶ He had a heart attack in his 40s. ¶ He lost his business. The bank foreclosed on the Talleys’ home of 17 years. Against her husband’s pride, Janine Talley has accepted money from friends to pay the bills. ¶ He contemplates killing himself.

“I’ve thought about it,” Darryl Talley flatly said last month on the patio of the house he and Janine rent. “When you go through the s--- that I’ve gone through, you start to wonder: Is this really worth it? Is it worth being here, worth being tortured anymore?

“It would be just as easy to call it a day. But there are two reasons why I won’t. First of all, my parents didn’t raise a coward. The most important is I want to be around for my grandkids.”

Bruce Smith is among those most frightened for Talley.

Although they thrived alongside each other during the franchise’s glory days and consider themselves brothers forever, Smith isn’t willing to trust Talley’s rationalizations.

“A moment of weakness, a moment of darkness, a moment of hopelessness,” Smith said from his home in Virginia. “Those are pretty powerful things that can come into play that makes one forget about how we were raised or what state we would leave the rest of the family and friends in.”

Talley, like Smith and the rest of their mates from the Super Bowl era, maintain a mythological presence with Bills fans. They’re like superheroes leaping off the pages of a Marvel comic book. One of Talley’s trademarks was the Spider-Man ski suit he wore under his uniform.

Buffalo’s football legends, however, are not indestructible cartoon characters. They are mortals, as we’ve been reminded through Jim Kelly’s cancer ordeal or 50-year-old Kent Hull’s death from liver failure in 2011.

Talley is the first Bill from the Super Bowl years to disclose ominous mental, physical and financial difficulties seemingly rooted in playing football.

“I never thought this would be our life, but this is the reality of it,” Janine Talley said. She met Darryl at West Virginia University; they’ve been together 34 years. “I don’t see it getting any better. This’ll kill him one way or the other.

“His mental issues have accelerated a lot in the last year. I don’t know what the future holds for either one of us. I don’t know if in a few years dementia will set in. I don’t know if I’ll be able to care for him.”

Gabrielle Talley, the younger of their two daughters, said through tears, “Hope is not in abundance right now.”

http://www.buffalonews.com/sports/bills-nfl/broke-and-broken-20141126?sp-tk=9E591D5A2F63AB8BD75476ECC0AA161B1A621C3234237ABA265361A8688C6016EBEA1F644FEB11C7885570B8377A621DF25532174668810A145AF2C30A3B5D6FE6BD4C7E092238F6AA3C50BF7159127C193A59BB0D8AEBC12D83593A597099427D1399971B80D2AE7C788113FEC7C604CD3A07EC1FA6FAFE631C9979302A582AEE14D2EE88E0212C9AD61CC263697CE578947DBA

TacklingDummy
11-26-2014, 09:08 PM
he should sue.
It's someone else's fault.

OpIv37
11-26-2014, 09:10 PM
That's horrible.

It's coming out now that the frequent head trauma caused by playing in the NFL often leads to depression later in life (meaning 40's and 50s.... not what most of us would consider "late" in 21st century America). A few months back, Opie and Anthony (yes, it was still Anthony at the time) were talking about what a mess Tony Dorsett is. He has frequent mood swings and bouts of depression, apparently very similar to Talley's symptoms.

The NFL has too much money and too much medical knowledge to allow this to keep happening.

stuckincincy
11-26-2014, 09:18 PM
Robt. Smith figured it out...folks were shocked when he hung up the cleats:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robert_Smith_%28American_football%29

GvilleBills
11-26-2014, 09:30 PM
Man, just horrible news.

YardRat
11-26-2014, 09:38 PM
****in-A, that just sucks...my favorite Bill of all time.

OpIv37
11-26-2014, 09:54 PM
he should sue.
It's someone else's fault.

If the team knew he had a broken neck but didn't tell him and let him play, yeah, it is someone else's fault.

Everyone knows there is an element of risk in sports like football, but it's reasonable to assume that the teams and the league are going to protect their athletes and give them all the available medical information, in terms of both their specific conditions and available treatment options.

It sounds like that didn't happen in this case.

Dr. Lecter
11-26-2014, 10:15 PM
Don't respond to TacklingTroll please.

Maybe we can have an adult conversation that way

Edward Robinson
11-26-2014, 10:20 PM
Sad. Just this year he was still bleeding the BILLS through and through getting into it with Donte Whitner regarding the BILLS.

Sad that all his Rich ex teamates cant throw him a bone finanically if they havent done so already. If Talley is not on the WALL of Fame he should go on there ASAP. What a warrior who loved his BILLS. Sick to my stomach right now.

coastal
11-26-2014, 10:32 PM
****in-A, that just sucks...my favorite Bill of all time.
Mine too and very difficult to read that.

my nickname for him is "meat and potatoes".

imbondz
11-26-2014, 11:32 PM
heartbreaking article

DynaPaul
11-27-2014, 12:31 AM
That was just sad. The spiderman was one of my favorites as a kid and a true warrior. I hope he gets the help he needs and that NFL bucks up to compensate him.

swiper
11-27-2014, 04:26 AM

He was referring to player's, as well as people in the United States in general, blaming others for poor personal decisions.

While none of us can deny Talley's commitment to team during and after his playing years, we cannot comment on his financial failures. How anyone can make that kind of money and end up having his home foreclosed on is mind-numbing. Yes, the NFL could steer these guys to better financial advice. So even in TD's sarcasm, there is some truth. But how Talley could squander all that money makes me care very little about the whole thing. His own personal boom to bust. People treat those guys like they brought Buffalo 4 Super Bowls. They were a collection of coke heads and whore mongers. LT still laughs about it.

Meathead
11-27-2014, 04:43 AM
boxing and football, two sports ive been saying for decades are gonna be gone pretty soon

im surprised boxing isnt gone already, they basically just pound on each other until brain trauma forces you to the ground. reminds me of the flintstones when friday night fights promotes itself by using bigger and bigger clubs

the nfl is finally trying to make the game safer but theres only so much you can do to protect guys who slam into each other with maximum force forty times a game. enjoy it while its here cuz its gonna be a relic one of these days

sudzy
11-27-2014, 04:52 AM
It breaks my heart to hear of anyone going through this, especially on of my favorite Bills. This seems to be common amongst football players. But, this is the life that they chose. 14 years in a violent sport is going to take a toll.

Novacane
11-27-2014, 05:21 AM
That's horrible.

It's coming out now that the frequent head trauma caused by playing in the NFL often leads to depression later in life (meaning 40's and 50s.... not what most of us would consider "late" in 21st century America). A few months back, Opie and Anthony (yes, it was still Anthony at the time) were talking about what a mess Tony Dorsett is. He has frequent mood swings and bouts of depression, apparently very similar to Talley's symptoms.

The NFL has too much money and too much medical knowledge to allow this to keep happening.

I'm not so sure about that. It's a violent sport. If there were equipment that could eliminate head trauma they'd be using it. They don't want to be sued

coastal
11-27-2014, 05:31 AM
After some thought... even more proof in Talley's toughness. Here's hoping this story takes off on a national level and Talley can become a living spokesmen for this problem... and not just another guy who blows his head off.

Night Train
11-27-2014, 05:52 AM
Brings Thanksgiving into perspective.

TacklingDummy
11-27-2014, 06:46 AM

Happy Thanksgiving to you too.

Talley receives a pension from the NFL of around $5082 per month. I do not feel sorry for him that he's "broke".
No one to blame for his poor financial decision but himself.

Dr. Lecter
11-27-2014, 07:15 AM
This goes way beyond his financial decisions. This goes into having any quality of life.

This gets into the medical costs associated with his condition. (which very well could be devastating by themselves) This goes into CTE which: “is associated with memory loss, confusion, impaired judgment, impulse-control problems, aggression, depression and eventually progressive dementia.”

But throw out a cliche instead of thinking a little more deeply about something.

It's easier that way.

And that does not even get into the way the NFL makes billions off these guys while their bodies are left in tatters.

This is not just about him suing somebody because it's somebody else's fault.

Swiper and TD should try to take more than a cursory glance at this

pmoon6
11-27-2014, 07:37 AM
When I read the article on Facebook, I wept.

Darryl Talley was one of my all time favorite Bills. I have his authentic, autographed game jersey personally signed.

I wish there were something I could do except for write the NFL and the Buffalo Bills organization.

swiper
11-27-2014, 07:42 AM
Redneck tears are tainted with entrails of roadkill.

imbondz
11-27-2014, 08:35 AM
Jesus can give him hope.

Fletch
11-27-2014, 08:40 AM
.How anyone can make that kind of money and end up having his home foreclosed on is mind-numbing. Yes, the NFL could steer these guys to better financial advice.

Agree with that to an extent, but remember, Talley played in the era before stupid money kicked in. Yes, he had more than enough not to have lost his house, but we don't know, maybe he had to take out other mortgages to pay for huge medical bills.

Still, you make a good point that had crossed my mind as well, he should have owned his home outright long before this ever became a problem. Still, that's not really the issue here.

“This is not what he signed up for,” Gabrielle Talley said. “My dad is one of the toughest people you’d ever meet. He’d walk through a wall for you.

“But nobody would sign up to put their brain and their body through that if they knew what the risks were.”

The NFL has swept this **** under the rug for decades.

“It’s the NFL culture. As much as I resent my dad for not having his own well-being in mind when he played, that’s what medical professionals are there for. Trainers and doctors went to school for that, to be the responsible voice of reason.”

Bull****! Those medical professionals serve the NFL first, the players, the NFL's "property," second.

The ones getting screwed in this are the players that played during Talley's time and before. Now they get stupid money and know what they're up against for the long haul and have a certain amount of support on top of that all. The former players that made the NFL what it is today haven't gotten **** relatively speaking. I forget which former player football commentator it is that said he wouldn't let his son play pro football for this very reason.

The economy ravaged Sentry Barricades in 2008. Some clients went bankrupt. Not only did those contracts evaporate, but so too did the money they owed Talley’s company.

Janine Talley said he tapped his 401k and bought out his NFL pension at 25 percent value to salvage Sentry Barricades, but they still couldn’t honor their vendors or make payroll.

The economy ravaged a lot of businesses from 2008-2010 and even since then. While sympathetic, it doesn't seem like the loss of business had much to do with this, it sounds as if it was more economic circumstances. Sometimes you just have to know when to hang up one business and start another. That's usually when you're confronted with cleaning out your retirement accounts and college funds.

What's disturbing is the accounts in the piece of the team's positions, like Wilson supposedly telling Talley that the team doesn't hire former players to coach while they did so with Van Pelt, of all players and a backup, and Metz.

It's a rough business but it is a business first. Anyone not thinking that isn't considering the bigger picture.

Talley is one of my top-2 all-time favorite Bills players. He should have made the Pro-Bowl more than twice and probably should have had All-Pro honors at least once.

TacklingDummy
11-27-2014, 09:19 AM
What's disturbing is the accounts in the piece of the team's positions, like Wilson supposedly telling Talley that the team doesn't hire former players to coach while they did so with Van Pelt, of all players and a backup, and Metz.

Could this be racism?

The Talleys couldn’t afford to attend Reed’s induction into the Pro Football Hall of Fame last August. Just as Smith, Thomas and Bennett helped with the rent and some of Gabrielle’s college, they picked up the tab to get the Talleys there.

Smith is paying for the Talleys’ health insurance through the Affordable Care Act.

Obamacare sucks.
One would think that the NFL would offer health insurance to former players.
Maybe that's something the Players union should be fighting for.

DraftBoy
11-27-2014, 09:20 AM
Add Talley to a long and ever growing of former players battling life after football that includes debilitating pain, addiction, financial issues, brain trauma, and mental issues. Sadly that list is and will continue to be largely ignored as those players are no longer of use to the NFL machine.

When my wife and I have kids, and if they are boys, I don't think that right now I'd let them play football. I know that's the popular thing to say considering LeBron just said the same thing but this article and the hundreds of others just don't make the risk worth the possible award.

Fletch
11-27-2014, 09:24 AM
When my wife and I have kids, and if they are boys, I don't think that right now I'd let them play football. I know that's the popular thing to say considering LeBron just said the same thing but this article and the hundreds of others just don't make the risk worth the possible award.

But if they're girls, like Mangold's sister, you'll let 'em play.

LOL

JK obviously.

I hear ya, it really isn't worth the risks now that they've been known. Down the road, when the current actives retire, there won't be this sympathy due to the obscene money they make. There's definitely less sympathy for players that once made multiple millions per season for years translating to many times the median American career earnings, but are now broke, no short list.

pmoon6
11-27-2014, 09:24 AM
Add Talley to a long and ever growing of former players battling life after football that includes debilitating pain, addiction, financial issues, brain trauma, and mental issues. Sadly that list is and will continue to be largely ignored as those players are no longer of use to the NFL machine.

When my wife and I have kids, and if they are boys, I don't think that right now I'd let them play football. I know that's the popular thing to say considering LeBron just said the same thing but this article and the hundreds of others just don't make the risk worth the possible award.Well, considering their genetics, they probably won't have the ability. Then again, brain trauma wouldn't be an issue either.:D

TacklingDummy
11-27-2014, 09:28 AM
Well, considering their genetics, they probably won't have the ability. Then again, brain trauma wouldn't be an issue either.:D
If I had to bet on it, I'd bet they would play soccer.

cookie G
11-27-2014, 09:47 AM

My oldest has one year left before his career is done. He also knows that he's on a 1 and done rule. One concussion and its over. I've talked to his best friend's dad about it, and he said he's on the same rule. If it isn't worth it when you're going to make it to the NFL, it certainly isn't worth it when you're going to get no further than Div II or Div III ball.

There's a kid that was on his team, I've known him and his grandparents since about the 5th grade. The kid had 2 of them AND has a seizure disorder. He actually had a seizure during weight training last winter.

He was still playing in the fall despite 2 of them. The coach stopped playing him, and my son said it was subtle reference to his concussions. He ended up quitting and transferring.

DraftBoy
11-27-2014, 09:52 AM
Well, considering their genetics, they probably won't have the ability. Then again, brain trauma wouldn't be an issue either.:D

Tis true.

DraftBoy
11-27-2014, 09:54 AM
If I had to bet on it, I'd bet they would play soccer.

I'd be fine with that, they can easily make more than the NFL and are far more popular on a worldwide scale.

DraftBoy
11-27-2014, 09:57 AM
My oldest has one year left before his career is done. He also knows that he's on a 1 and done rule. One concussion and its over. I've talked to his best friend's dad about it, and he said he's on the same rule. If it isn't worth it when you're going to make it to the NFL, it certainly isn't worth it when you're going to get no further than Div II or Div III ball.

There's a kid that was on his team, I've known him and his grandparents since about the 5th grade. The kid had 2 of them AND has a seizure disorder. He actually had a seizure during weight training last winter.

He was still playing in the fall despite 2 of them. The coach stopped playing him, and my son said it was subtle reference to his concussions. He ended up quitting and transferring.

Seems like a good rule to have.

For the record I think I'd have a similar rule about my kid if he was a baseball pitcher and got an arm injury. I know a family in my neighborhood who has a HS aged son (I think he's a junior). He's been throwing breaking balls since he was about 10 and had two arm procedures including a Tommy John. He's out back everyday throwing getting ready for this spring's season. His Dad is just convinced he's going to be the next big things because he's played travel or select level ball and their have been scouts at the games, but he never mentions who they are there to see.

IlluminatusUIUC
11-27-2014, 10:02 AM
I'd be fine with that, they can easily make more than the NFL and are far more popular on a worldwide scale.

Soccer has it's own concussion problems too. I wouldn't say they are on par with football, but it's coming to light.

Dr. Lecter
11-27-2014, 10:13 AM
Could this be racism?

The Talleys couldn’t afford to attend Reed’s induction into the Pro Football Hall of Fame last August. Just as Smith, Thomas and Bennett helped with the rent and some of Gabrielle’s college, they picked up the tab to get the Talleys there.

Smith is paying for the Talleys’ health insurance through the Affordable Care Act.

Obamacare sucks.
One would think that the NFL would offer health insurance to former players.
Maybe that's something the Players union should be fighting for.

You can say it sucks, but without it he likely would not have ANY insurance at all

swiper
11-27-2014, 10:14 AM
2013: http://www.utsandiego.com/news/2013/apr/29/girls-soccer-concussions-meriwether/

2007: http://www.webmd.com/children/news/20071002/girls-soccer-concussion-risk

Fletch
11-27-2014, 10:26 AM

That brings up another good point, the pressure to win and start and all that, a lot of these youngster are taking all kind of PEDs that aren't nearly as pratrolled at those lower levels. I'm sure we'll start reading about the effects of those drugs in about another 10 years or so.

Sports has gotten out of control imo. Instead of just being a pastime and activity there's an enormous overemphasis on winning, an unhealthy one.

imbondz
11-27-2014, 10:40 AM
Good this is getting national attention already. USAtoday...

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nfl/2014/11/27/former-bills-star-talley-suffers-from-depression/19575589/

Meathead
11-27-2014, 11:44 AM
Redneck tears are tainted with entrails of roadkill.

and forty percent jack daniels

pmoon6
11-27-2014, 12:28 PM
and forty percent jack danielsAlcohol has not entered my body since last Christmas, unless you count the Morellino di Scansano that I use in my Sunday gravy. (Tomato sauce for you Southern folks) or other wines that I cook with.

TacklingDummy
11-27-2014, 04:35 PM
You can say it sucks, but without it he likely would not have ANY insurance at all
My "Obamacare sucks" was also sarcasm.
It was for those who cry about it.
I really don't see the problem with offering cheap insurance to those who have to pay for their own.
Sure there's problems with it, nothing's (besides DB) perfect.

Damn Doc, after 12+ years you really don't know how to read me.

OLDSRIP
11-28-2014, 09:36 AM
He was referring to player's, as well as people in the United States in general, blaming others for poor personal decisions.

While none of us can deny Talley's commitment to team during and after his playing years, we cannot comment on his financial failures. How anyone can make that kind of money and end up having his home foreclosed on is mind-numbing. Yes, the NFL could steer these guys to better financial advice. So even in TD's sarcasm, there is some truth. But how Talley could squander all that money makes me care very little about the whole thing. His own personal boom to bust. People treat those guys like they brought Buffalo 4 Super Bowls. They were a collection of coke heads and whore mongers. LT still laughs about it.

This is is a good question. I always wonder how these guys blow through so much cash.

In this case I wonder how much of his personal money was spent on medical costs that probably should have been picked up by the NFL or their insurance. Not enough info to tell.

But the NFL has shown a pattern of neglecting these guys after their careers are over. A league with so much money should be ashamed of their history. But I guess that's todays America. The rich get richer.

In any case I wish Talley and his family the best possible outcome.
Like most people who watched those teams. I was a big fan of his. He was a true professional.

Famous Amos
11-28-2014, 02:53 PM
I always wondered why Bruce Smith has distanced himself and isn't active around the bills like Kelly, Thomas, Reed and Tasker have been. Maybe he got disillusioned too, after he saw how the Bills treated his good friend. After reading this article, it doesn't make the Bills look very good, especially the bit about not having any record of Talley's neck injury. Talley appears to be the quintessential company man, loyal to a fault. The Bills should have recognized his passion and should have shown some compassion when he wanted to coach.

However, some of the things said about Talley in the article doesn't do him any favors like walking home in the snow after knee surgery or breaking his fingers when they got caught in opponents' helmets. If he had such a strong disregard for his health then, should we be as concerned about his health now?

Mace
11-28-2014, 05:20 PM
Happy Thanksgiving to you too.

Talley receives a pension from the NFL of around $5082 per month. I do not feel sorry for him that he's "broke".
No one to blame for his poor financial decision but himself.

Thing is though, you have to patiently read the whole article.

Darryl and Janine Talley tried to prepare for NFL retirement the prudent way. They saved money while he played. Their goal merely was to keep working, make enough money to exist, send their daughters to private school and then pay for their college educations.

“I didn’t play golf every day, chase hos up and down the street or do drugs,” Darryl Talley said.

What he initially wanted to do was serve as a Bills assistant coach. He said he called owner Ralph Wilson to inquire about an entry-level job but was told the Bills don’t hire former players. Alex Van Pelt and Pete Metzelaars later became Bills assistants while Wilson was alive.
Darryl Talley in August 1999 purchased Sentry Barricades, a business that handled traffic signage and detour control for emergencies, construction sites, road closures and the like.

Even though Talley was coping with depression and physical decline, Sentry Barricades grew to 17 employees.
The economy ravaged Sentry Barricades in 2008. Some clients went bankrupt. Not only did those contracts evaporate, but so too did the money they owed Talley’s company.

Janine Talley said he tapped his 401k and bought out his NFL pension at 25 percent value to salvage Sentry Barricades, but they still couldn’t honor their vendors or make payroll.

That's a pretty common pattern of ruin for ordinary people with principles, hopes and dreams.

There's no telling how much of that pension goes to debt, and even affordable care act plans have copays, premiums, etc for specialists and such, and now the guy is a physical wreck. I get the idea Talley would dig ditches if he could sit or stand for more than a few minutes at a pop but he can't, plus now his mind is scrambling. From the whole article in context it's not about his financial situation, in context you get the idea they wouldn't care if his mind wasn't scrambling and his body wrecked. It's the financials "on top" of that.

Talley was a warrior, never a complainer, the standard of what you want in a player, he wasn't one of the marquee guys that had huge contracts for the day.

This article really disturbed me, Buffalo adores Talley but adoration gains him what ?

But you really have to take the time to read it all in context, imho.

Mace
11-28-2014, 05:40 PM
I always wondered why Bruce Smith has distanced himself and isn't active around the bills like Kelly, Thomas, Reed and Tasker have been. Maybe he got disillusioned too, after he saw how the Bills treated his good friend. After reading this article, it doesn't make the Bills look very good, especially the bit about not having any record of Talley's neck injury. Talley appears to be the quintessential company man, loyal to a fault. The Bills should have recognized his passion and should have shown some compassion when he wanted to coach.

However, some of the things said about Talley in the article doesn't do him any favors like walking home in the snow after knee surgery or breaking his fingers when they got caught in opponents' helmets. If he had such a strong disregard for his health then, should we be as concerned about his health now?

Maybe Bruce, Biscuit, Conlan, some others, are starting to feel the effects themselves.

I have to disagree with the second part about him not doing himself any favors. That level of fierce tough desire is what we crave and cultivate as legend for our athlete heroes. The Legend of Kiko....Brandon Spikes......"he was so tough that...." ....and even more so for a non marquee player. Oh Talley was known to us for sure, but in 13 years, he was only All-Pro twice. He was a blue collar roll up the sleeves example of dedication and desire.

If you saw RG3 finally wreck his knee in that game, you didn't blame RG3, you blamed Shanahan. Even badass inside linebackers have a boss and report to people who are supposed to be supervising them. He's not complaining about his finger or his knee.

His results now are what we cheered then, and none of us knew better. Thing is, the NFL has money to mitigate some of it if you can "mitigate" brain damage.

You can't celebrate toughness and desire in football without taking a good hard look at the results of what you celebrated.

pmoon6
11-29-2014, 03:50 AM
Maybe Bruce, Biscuit, Conlan, some others, are starting to feel the effects themselves.

I have to disagree with the second part about him not doing himself any favors. That level of fierce tough desire is what we crave and cultivate as legend for our athlete heroes. The Legend of Kiko....Brandon Spikes......"he was so tough that...." ....and even more so for a non marquee player. Oh Talley was known to us for sure, but in 13 years, he was only All-Pro twice. He was a blue collar roll up the sleeves example of dedication and desire.

If you saw RG3 finally wreck his knee in that game, you didn't blame RG3, you blamed Shanahan. Even badass inside linebackers have a boss and report to people who are supposed to be supervising them. He's not complaining about his finger or his knee.

His results now are what we cheered then, and none of us knew better. Thing is, the NFL has money to mitigate some of it if you can "mitigate" brain damage.

You can't celebrate toughness and desire in football without taking a good hard look at the results of what you celebrated.This is one of the reasons the NFL became popular. The working man in a physical job, to a lesser degree, has physical issues that affect them later in life. Arthritis, overuse injuries, etc. On Sunday, this guy took enjoyment from watching a bunch of other guys get the **** beat out of them.

Of course, the working guy doesn't have to deal with being concussed on a regular basis and it affecting his mental state.

There is also a lesson here. Loyalty to an organization should be tempered with personal well being. Thinking that if you give 150% will get you taken care of down the line is for naive idealists. It doesn't matter what work organization it is, once you are no longer useful, no matter what mountains you have climbed, you are relegated to the scrap heap and the powers that be say....Next. Of course, they tell you "you are like family here and we value you highly".

Probably the biggest line of BS in the annuls of history.

swiper
11-29-2014, 05:54 AM
Talley should have talked to Otis back in the day.

http://that70scard.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/01/mars.jpg

pmoon6
11-29-2014, 04:10 PM
Talley should have talked to Otis back in the day.

http://that70scard.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/01/mars.jpgI always liked those Raider teams even in spite of Al Davis.

TacklingDummy
11-29-2014, 04:51 PM
In a little more than two days, the Buffalo Bills' faithful raised more than $100,000 for former linebacker Darryl Talley.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/11952955/buffalo-bills-fans-raise-100000-darryl-talley-former-linebacker