PDA

View Full Version : Bills fans raise money for Talley

imbondz
11-28-2014, 12:05 PM
http://www.gofundme.com/hvkgjo

Bills fans raise more than $30K for former star LB Darryl Talleyhttp://www.cbssports.com/nfl/eye-on-football/24846391/bills-fans-raising-money-for-former-lb-darryl-talley

For 14 seasons, including 12 with the Bills, Darryl Talley was an NFL linebacker, racking up 1,190 tackles and two Pro Bowl honors. But as detailed in this Buffalo News story by Tim Graham (http://www.buffalonews.com/sports/bills-nfl/broke-and-broken-20141126), Talley is struggling these days.
As Graham wrote:

He's 54, but his body is a wreck and continues to crumble. He suspects collisions from playing linebacker for 14 NFL seasons, a dozen with the Buffalo Bills (http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/teams/page/BUF/buffalo-bills), have damaged his brain. He's often depressed beyond the point of tears. He's bitter at the National Football League for discarding him and denying that he's too disabled to work anymore. He says the Bills have jilted him, too. He learned after he retired that he'd played with a broken neck. He had a heart attack in his 40s. He lost his business. The bank foreclosed on the Talleys' home of 17 years. Against her husband's pride, Janine Talley has accepted money from friends to pay the bills. He contemplates killing himself.His former teammates, like Bruce Smith, are frightened for him, and Talley says the future does not look bright. But he's asking for help, and in the 24 hours or so since the article was posted, Bills fans have responded.
On the gofundme.com website (http://www.gofundme.com/hvkgjo), this is the amount of money that's been collected for Talley. As of 10:20 a.m. ET on Friday:

imbondz
11-28-2014, 12:08 PM
up to $47,000!

better days
11-28-2014, 12:08 PM
The NFL is paying Talley less than half of what they should because they say he did not file the paper work in time.

What a bunch of BS that is, damn lawyers.

Novacane
11-28-2014, 12:54 PM
Some really nasty people in the comments section of the news article. Prayers for Darryl.

Dr. Lecter
11-28-2014, 01:46 PM
Not that I don't feel deeply for Talley and think the NFL does not properly care for former players, but I couldn't donate to him while there are people freezing to death and starving on the streets.

The idea that Talley, because he is a celebrity that many of us admire, is more worthy a donation than a guy living in a cardboard box or a single parent struggling to feed children bothers me.

Ingtar33
11-28-2014, 02:02 PM
heartbreaking story.

I think I'll buy a DT jersey. For some reason I don't have one of his... and I think I'll donate some $$ as well. Him and Andre Reed were my mom's two favorite bills. When my mom was dying from cancer, some of her coworkers wrote the Bills asking for an autographed football. Darryl Talley wrote her a letter which she would always keep and read when things got tough (I wish I could remember what it said), and to top it off a week later Talley delivered the football with the whole 1989 Buffalo Bills signatures on it, delivered personally in her hospital room. He actually hung out and took pictures with her and talked to her for what she said was an hour. She died a few years later, but never forgot that.

He was there for my mother when she was at one of the roughest points in her life, so i'd like to repay the guy in kind. I just wish I could do more for him then send him money... I'll have to place some calls and see what can be done. I'm sure the people I'll call have read the article already, but, i didn't know he was having this tough of a time of it.

It would be nice if Bills fans came to the game against cleveland in 56 jerseys...

coastal
11-28-2014, 02:46 PM
Not that I don't feel deeply for Talley and think the NFL does not properly care for former players, but I couldn't donate to him while there are people freezing to death and starving on the streets.

The idea that Talley, because he is a celebrity that many of us admire, is more worthy a donation than a guy living in a cardboard box or a single parent struggling to feed children bothers me.
Not to mention... it's Black Friday.

OpIv37
11-28-2014, 03:10 PM

That's a strange distinction to make.

If someone contributes to charities for heart disease instead of charities for breast cancer, does that mean they determined that people suffering from heart disease are more worthy than people suffering from breast cancer?

If you walk out of a convenience store with a handful of change and hand it to a homeless guy, then have no change left for the bag lady on the corner, did you just determine that the homeless guy's life was more worthy than the bag lady's?

We recently sold our house in VA and had a bunch of stuff in the attic that we donated. We gave it to Salvation Army instead of Habitat for Humanity. Does that mean that we think the people the Salvation Army helps are more important than the homeless people served by Habitat for Humanity? The reality is that the Habitat for Humanity Re-Store used to be right around the corner from that house, but they moved farther away and we were under a time crunch.

People only give so much to charity. They have various reasons for giving to one organization or person over another. Darryl Talley sacrificed his body and his health to contribute to the greatest football teams Bills fans have ever known. Of course people are going to be more willing to help someone that they perceive as having some type of positive impact in their lives over total strangers.

Ingtar33
11-28-2014, 03:20 PM
I don't know about the rest of you guys, but this guy did his best to get the back of bills fans and the city of buffalo whenever he had the chance.

even if you don't have a personal experience with the guy like i do, i think he should be shown the same love that he showed the bills, the fans and the city of buffalo.

Gilly
11-28-2014, 03:30 PM

freezing to death and starving on the streets?

:rofl: loons...

Dr. Lecter
11-28-2014, 03:34 PM
freezing to death and starving on the streets?

:rofl: loons...

So in your world there are no homeless and hungry people?

At least somebody like Op can discuss the point without being oblivious.

Downinfloflo
11-28-2014, 03:35 PM

Annual race of the *******s..

Dr. Lecter
11-28-2014, 03:41 PM
That's a strange distinction to make.

If someone contributes to charities for heart disease instead of charities for breast cancer, does that mean they determined that people suffering from heart disease are more worthy than people suffering from breast cancer?

If you walk out of a convenience store with a handful of change and hand it to a homeless guy, then have no change left for the bag lady on the corner, did you just determine that the homeless guy's life was more worthy than the bag lady's?

We recently sold our house in VA and had a bunch of stuff in the attic that we donated. We gave it to Salvation Army instead of Habitat for Humanity. Does that mean that we think the people the Salvation Army helps are more important than the homeless people served by Habitat for Humanity? The reality is that the Habitat for Humanity Re-Store used to be right around the corner from that house, but they moved farther away and we were under a time crunch.

People only give so much to charity. They have various reasons for giving to one organization or person over another. Darryl Talley sacrificed his body and his health to contribute to the greatest football teams Bills fans have ever known. Of course people are going to be more willing to help someone that they perceive as having some type of positive impact in their lives over total strangers.

I don't think it is a case of worthiness and that is not what I meant at all.

What I meant is that there are people who are in a much more dire situation (unless you're in GillyVille where everybody lives in a mansion) and that are way worse off. But our society is per-dispositioned to help the famous more quickly than others.

Granted people only have so much to give to charities and we all make our choices. Some donate for cancer research. Some for AIDS. Some fo MS. Some for CF. And we will likely donate to the causes that touch closer to home. Talley's situation touches much closer to us than the person who is homeless or the single parent in an apartment for one that has 3 kids (I made this up. Gilly said it never happens) because we watched and loved those teams and in many ways Talley was the most beloved player from those teams.

But, as bad as his current situation is , he still has a place to live. He has food. Clothing. His daughters are going to college. And he is still making ~$60,000 a year.

Compare that to the people I described and the situations are not remotely close in terms of need or what they are going without.

Dr. Lecter
11-28-2014, 03:42 PM

Meathead's gonna call you a racist

YardRat
11-28-2014, 03:49 PM
As long as the money given for Talley isn't 'taking away' from another charitable contribution that you would have made otherwise, I'm pretty sure one could chip in with a clear conscience.

ckg927
11-28-2014, 04:27 PM
Total is now at $67K. In 1 day.

Good job, BillsNation.

Bad job in that you can look at the A-hole-ishness of some commenters. That is one of the down sides of the internet-being able to hurl the nastiest crap possible from your computer and you'll never truly get called out on it.

better days
11-28-2014, 05:10 PM

Well, if you have the money to do so, why not contribute to both Talley & the faceless homeless?

BillsImpossible
11-28-2014, 05:37 PM
$73,520 and climbing!

http://www.gofundme.com/hvkgjo

The story is now getting national news attention.

Proud to be a Buffalonian!!!

Come back home, Darryl, we miss you brother.

Mace
11-28-2014, 05:49 PM

Well, if you reason it out and consider it, we cheered and paid for his eventual physical ruin though. I'm not sure how many people can point to the homeless and say with certainty, I cheered and paid for him to end up that way, and admired how he went about it.

BillsImpossible
11-28-2014, 06:52 PM
Well, if you reason it out and consider it, we cheered and paid for his eventual physical ruin though. I'm not sure how many people can point to the homeless and say with certainty, I cheered and paid for him to end up that way, and admired how he went about it.

In a sense, you're right. Our cheers wound up breaking Darryl Talley down. Now let's build him back up with as much love, money, and support as possible.

Darryl Talley sacrificed everything he had in him for his team, and for Buffalo. He was the heart of the Bills teams that gave us so many great memories, and those memories drive us for more.

The average donation is about $25. That's a pizza and a single order of wings to help a guy who deserves the help after everything he has done for us.

Downinfloflo
11-28-2014, 06:57 PM

How many of you forced him to take the field?

Carpenters ruin their bodies as well.

Mace
11-28-2014, 07:16 PM

Yeah, I don't buy that. I just don't. I've done labor work, I've done skilled work, I've done educated work, I've damaged myself plenty, mostly when I ignored OSHA or employer regs, none of it required me to hit people like pro football players do as a measure of job performance.

If you're going to pretend speaking for the poor common working man, then ante up on how carpenters are expected to smack wood with their heads and shoulders weekly with people cheering for them and their violence in how well they do it defining them.

Ante up or sit down and be quiet. This is the world we encourage and help make. Deal with facing the results.

ckg927
11-28-2014, 07:18 PM
Tim Graham of the News just updated the story....

http://bills.buffalonews.com/2014/11/28/darryl-talley-family-overpowered-bills-fans-emphatic-display-love/

BillsImpossible
11-28-2014, 07:24 PM

It's great to be the devil's advocate, but not this time.

This situation is not the right context to be comparing professions because there is no comparison.

Darryl Talley had a profession that 99.9% of people don't have. He sacrificed his body and mind in a physical way that is not comparable to the average American worker. He laid it all on the line every Sunday, not for himself, but for the fans of the city he loved and played for.

Darryl Talley is a great warrior. He literally fought for Buffalo like a super hero, and entertained Bills fans for many years.

It's time to give back. Simple as that.

Downinfloflo
11-28-2014, 07:49 PM
Yeah, I don't buy that. I just don't. I've done labor work, I've done skilled work, I've done educated work, I've damaged myself plenty, mostly when I ignored OSHA or employer regs, none of it required me to hit people like pro football players do as a measure of job performance.

If you're going to pretend speaking for the poor common working man, then ante up on how carpenters are expected to smack wood with their heads and shoulders weekly with people cheering for them and their violence in how well they do it defining them.

Ante up or sit down and be quiet. This is the world we encourage and help make. Deal with facing the results.

It's a game that no one forces you to play, They are not gladiators and we are not in ancient Rome.

It's all good to donate away, But to feel you owe a rich guy who played a game is a bit weird.

Downinfloflo
11-28-2014, 07:50 PM
It's great to be the devil's advocate, but not this time.

This situation is not the right context to be comparing professions because there is no comparison.

Darryl Talley had a profession that 99.9% of people don't have. He sacrificed his body and mind in a physical way that is not comparable to the average American worker. He laid it all on the line every Sunday, not for himself, but for the fans of the city he loved and played for.

Darryl Talley is a great warrior. He literally fought for Buffalo like a super hero, and entertained Bills fans for many years.

It's time to give back. Simple as that.

Was he paid to do it?

Or did you guys force him to and now that he's doing bad you feel guilty?

Night Train
11-29-2014, 06:34 AM

I agree..but I think we can have it both ways. It's all a matter of choices and to what degree people wish to focus.

This is where I've spent many a Friday night, working with fellow church members. Makes one appreciate the little things.

http://www.friendsofnightpeople.org/

Today we host a monthly community dinner at our church hall for the neighborhood folks and the less fortunate ( Tonawanda). The women cooked 5 turkeys yesterday and all the sides will be prepared today. Tables all set for 100 to be seated. That's where a lot of our $$ goes and it's very important to us.

Some don't have that part in their lives and wish to make a donation to Talley in the spirit of the season. That's OK too..because it's a good step towards something maybe bigger down the road.

Talley may be lifted out of a bad place to a degree and give his family some calm moments.

Plus the people making the donation may realize there's even more to do in this world. The reward of helping others who are struggling or less fortunate is basically second to none.

imbondz
11-29-2014, 06:35 AM
No one is forcing anyone to give or donate. There's zero guilt if you give or don't give. But feel free to stfu about over analyzing it.

Historian
11-29-2014, 07:07 AM
I always wondered why this stuff only happens to football players.

THATHURMANATOR
11-29-2014, 11:40 AM
Why would people criticize this?

I will give my money to whoever and whatever the **** I want. My business.

(caveat I didn't give to this cause but if I want to I will)

Downinfloflo
11-29-2014, 11:53 AM
No one is forcing anyone to give or donate. There's zero guilt if you give or don't give. But feel free to stfu about over analyzing it.

Go ask your imaginary friend for some blessings.

Downinfloflo
11-29-2014, 12:00 PM
Why would people criticize this?

I will give my money to whoever and whatever the **** I want. My business.

(caveat I didn't give to this cause but if I want to I will)

The money angle is of no concern to me, Do what ever the hell you want with it when ever you want..

The part I find strange, People feeling like they somehow owe him something because he let them watch him play a game.

When I first heard this story, It was made to sound like he's living in a shack getting hassled by Giants and Cowboy fans.

In fact, He still has a really nice house, Really nice clothes, Really nice items in his house, Nice cars..

His version of broke is much-much different than the average mans..

justasportsfan
11-29-2014, 04:20 PM

Yeah Lecter :mad:

pmoon6
11-29-2014, 04:20 PM

The idea that Talley, because he is a celebrity that many of us admire, is more worthy a donation than a guy living in a cardboard box or a single parent struggling to feed children bothers me.Bravo.

I feel the same. No matter how dire your circumstances are, there are many people who are far worse off.

Even though my heart goes out to Darryl and will write the NFLPA, the team, and the NFL, they should be the ones helping him. He helped make them millions and now they are turning their back, just as they have with so many former players.

I give my time and money to help people in my community who are down on their luck. I think that is the only way you can help people and help yourself at the same time. I guess that makes me a communist.

TacklingDummy
11-29-2014, 05:00 PM
I can't give money to someone who had the world by the balls, was rich, and then blew it. While 99.9% of the country will never have what he blew.

Mace
11-29-2014, 09:24 PM
It's a game that no one forces you to play, They are not gladiators and we are not in ancient Rome.

It's all good to donate away, But to feel you owe a rich guy who played a game is a bit weird.

I think you're missing things that cripple your arguments. He's not rich, he lost his "big bucks" running a street barrier business that went down in the recession and he tried to save by selling his NFL 401k early for 1/4 value, so he could try and save the business and pay his vendors and 17 employees.

They really were gladiators, none of us had a clue about long term effects back then.

It's a bit weird if you are pretending you did, and that you paid no attention to the details of the story.

"They must all be rich, and I'm not so it's their fault they're a mess."

You either celebrated his tough, wished you had some of it or the chance to show it, cheered him, or read about it if you're too young.

This is how it turns out, just deal with it.

By and large, I think anyone with a clue who saw him play, really gets it, even if you don't and would relish the opportunity to be in debt with scrambled brains unable to sit, stand or lay in bed all night to sleep, for the chance to hear people cheer you and the money to run a business that trashes in a recession and pay your employees.

If you really even read the article, and I don't think you did because you're oblivious to the details, try and say something relevant.

RandolphDuke
11-29-2014, 09:30 PM
Unfortunately, no amount of money is going to solve Darryl's problems.

$100k isn't going to sustain his gated community lifestyle forever. And when the money runs out, he still won't have the ability to take care of himself or his family.

The gofundme campaign makes donors feel better, but ultimately does nothing. His brain is not going to get better.

The long term fix is for the NFL to do something to prevent and address brain trauma, but sadly that won't help #56.

Mace
11-29-2014, 09:39 PM
Unfortunately, no amount of money is going to solve Darryl's problems.

$100k isn't going to sustain his gated community lifestyle forever. And when the money runs out, he still won't have the ability to take care of himself or his family.

The gofundme campaign makes donors feel better, but ultimately does nothing. His brain is not going to get better.

The long term fix is for the NFL to do something to prevent and address brain trauma, but sadly that won't help #56.

Unfortunately you are right. He's not even sustaining his lifestyle, Bruce Smith, Thurman Thomas and Cornelius Bennett are.

Strikes me as sad people cannot deal with the results of what they embrace.

People say it's someone elses fault, like Talley's and whine that people say it's someone elses fault, not theirs for embracing the sport.

Ouch, it's sooooo hard to be accountable and responsible for something everyone else must have done while you did too.

Ingtar33
11-29-2014, 11:25 PM
you guys didn't bother to read the story did you?

talley saved and invested his money from football smartly. eventually he bought a construction company that had 17 employees. when the economy crashed in 2008 his business started to go under. at that time he cashed in his pension at .25 on the dollar in order to keep the company afloat and his employees employed. he then went into debt trying to keep the business going. eventually despite his efforts the company folded, and burdened by crushing debt he lost his home, could no longer pay his daughter's college tuitions, and basically ended up destitute. his credit is so bad he couldn't even afford the down payment on the home he currently lives in (3 months rent) ~ Biscuit helped him cover it.

he gets a medical benefit of 36k a year, most of which goes to cover his debts and bills and medical costs. He's physically incapable of working, and mentally he's breaking down.

I don't see the harm in helping him out. it's not like the $$ i gave him came out of some other charitable giving i was doing this year. i'll still give the same $$ to the same charities i suport, i spend more $$ on stupid xmas gifts people will throw out in a year anyway. I get some of you might think he's unworthy of support. that's fine, i'm not here to convince you to give him money. I'd just like to think better of bills fans on the whole... the least you could do is keep him and his family in your prayers. It's not like Talley asked for money (he didn't), heck he probably won't accept the cash that was raised. This isn't what this is about. This is about symbolically supporting one of buffalo's biggest fans when he needs love and support. No one around here had issues with sending love and prayers to jimbo when he was struggling, not sure why DT gets so much hate when he's struggling with his own issues.

imbondz
11-30-2014, 02:57 AM
up to $120,000 cool.

Yasgur's Farm
11-30-2014, 07:04 AM
In a day and time where so many of our "charitable contributions" are dictated to us via taxes, I would think that people would STFU when somebody actually chooses a cause to donate to.

Just my 2 cents.

TacklingDummy
11-30-2014, 07:06 AM
at that time he cashed in his pension at .25 on the dollar in order to keep the company afloat and his employees employed. he then went into debt trying to keep the business going. eventually despite his efforts the company folded, and burdened by crushing debt he lost his home, could no longer pay his daughter's college tuitions, and basically ended up destitute. his credit is so bad he couldn't even afford the down payment on the home he currently lives in (3 months rent) ~ Biscuit helped him cover it.

Stupid move, who's fault was that?
He could have lost his business and still lived happily ever after it he didn't cash in his pension.

pmoon6
11-30-2014, 07:19 AM
Stupid move, who's fault was that?
He could have lost his business and still lived happily ever after it he didn't cash in his pension.An important question is did the symptoms of post concussion syndrome manifest themself when he made that decision?

I think it was less than prudent to mortgage his and his families future to try to bouy a failing business.

Of course, some will say it was just a dumb move, like Drew Brees, and that current players should not subsidize former players mistakes with THEIR money.

If the NFL is truly family, like the propaganda machine tells us, then former players would be taken care of long after they hang them up. However, it seems that former players have to fight for every nickle because of the attitude of current players, the NFL, and their respective teams.

djjimkelly
11-30-2014, 09:20 AM
ive kept quiet about this since the story broke. (pun intended)

while i believe its super nice that fans are helping out talley.

if i made the money he has made in his lifetime i would be ****ing ballling!!@!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! and would be just managing my money ive probably made 10% of what he has and i live very comfortable

its very sad that these football players piss their money away through bad luck bad decisions and so on......... but

its a ****ing hard world and they should all be smarter

Fletch
11-30-2014, 10:28 AM
ive kept quiet about this since the story broke. (pun intended)

while i believe its super nice that fans are helping out talley.

if i made the money he has made in his lifetime i would be ****ing ballling!!@!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! and would be just managing my money ive probably made 10% of what he has and i live very comfortable

its very sad that these football players piss their money away through bad luck bad decisions and so on......... but

its a ****ing hard world and they should all be smarter

Sounds like his business was wiped out by the recession, and if so, on that point iI sympathize. Many people lost their businesses around that time. I hear ya though. Remember too though, the salaries really weren't all that high considering back then. Talley left the game just as they started to spiral out-of-control upwards. The real shame here should befall the NFL for not putting better prior era healthcare plans in place.

It's nice that people are helping Talley, and he's always ranked as one of my top favorite Bills players of all-time, even more than Kelly, Thurm, or Reed. But when I read stories like this I too wonder about all the people around that are not of a high profile, many within Buffalo too no doubt, that have equal or even worse circumstances due to no fault of their own and that didn't come close to making as much money in a lifetime, and wondering what they think as they go through what they're going through unnoticed and maybe with no one to even care for them.

I guess that's just the way the world is.

cookie G
11-30-2014, 11:22 AM

With that core group of players from the 90's, Doc....I don't know if people see it as charitable donation.

People are chipping in to help a family member.

Fletch
11-30-2014, 11:38 AM

talley saved and invested his money from football smartly. eventually he bought a construction company that had 17 employees. when the economy crashed in 2008 his business started to go under. at that time he cashed in his pension at .25 on the dollar in order to keep the company afloat and his employees employed. he then went into debt trying to keep the business going. eventually despite his efforts the company folded, and burdened by crushing debt he lost his home, could no longer pay his daughter's college tuitions, and basically ended up destitute. his credit is so bad he couldn't even afford the down payment on the home he currently lives in (3 months rent) ~ Biscuit helped him cover it.

I thanked your post Ingtar. I pointed out as well that his business likely went under due to circumstances beyond his control and of the economic variety. At the same time I think that it's valid to question why he cashed out his retirement at a fraction of its worth and savings and kids' college funds instead of simply starting a new business or doing something else that seemed higher profile with it. Businesses often have a life cycle and entrepreneurs often don't know when one has run its course. By the way, I'm just commenting generally, not necessarily critical of Talley.

Still, the comments about the team being family and contributions being entirely voluntary make perfect sense.

I agree with Lechter's comment though.

cookie G
11-30-2014, 09:52 PM

I read it.

As TacklingDummy said, he might have been smart to just let the company go under and not touch his 401k. A retirement account like that is generally shielded from creditors. He would have come out ahead instead of tapping into it.

It happens all the time, is perfectly legal.

But as you say, he had 17 employees, 17 people expecting to receive a paycheck and support their own families. So he cashed in his own accounts to keep them going for a while longer.

Not to be too syrupy, but that sounds very George Baileyish. Its fitting that Bills fans responded like the citizens of Bedford Falls.

It fits the image of him I had wehen he was on the Bills. I saw him as the guy who sacrificed his own personal stats for the good of the D. I think, for example, he would have had a hell of a lot more sacks if he wasn't on a team with Bruce and Bennett, and was uised as a pass rusher more. But that wasn't his style.

gebobs
12-01-2014, 09:47 AM
Even still, he gets his NFL pension. How about his wife? Can't she work? They could get a flat on Hertel Avenue, she could work at Dash's. They could go to Checker's every night and never pay for a drink the rest of their lives.