• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • OpIv37
    Acid Douching Asswipe
    • Sep 2002

Buffalo's playoff "chances"

I just looked at the standings.

The only way we can win the division is if NE loses out and we win out, and we know that's about as likely has me simultaneously winning the lottery, getting struck by lightning and getting blown by Gisele while Tom Brady gets his ass kicked by Jon Jones just because he's Tom Brady.

There is one 8-4 team and 6 7-5 teams in the WC hunt (not counting div leaders), counting us. We have head to head tiebreaker over Cleveland and I'm not sure about Pitt or Balt because their conf records are as bad as ours. The 8-4 team (SD) and the other 2 7-5 teams (KC, Miami) have one or more tiebreakers on us.

Houston is 6-6 but has the head to head tiebreaker on us, so they would get in over us if they end up with the same record.

So, we have to get a game ahead of KC and Miami or 2 games ahead of SD, and stay ahead of Balt, Pitt and KC. And this is assuming the div leaders don't change. Cincy or Denver could give us problems if they relinquish the div lead (possibly Indy too but that seems unlikely since they have a 3 game lead with only 4 left).

And we have to do this while playing Denver, GB and NE, and traveling to Oak.

Ouch.

I don't want to take away from what the team has done this season. The O has been inconsistent, but the D has been spectacular and, even if they lose out, they've won more games than they have in a long time. I can't even remember the last time we had a winning record in Dec- 2004 maybe? And despite the long odds, it's the most realistic playoff shot we've had this late in a season since 2004. But those losses to KC and Miami really killed our playoff chances.
    MiKiDo Facebook
    MiKiDo Website
  • stuckincincy
    Buffalo Bills Fan
    • Sep 2003

Re: Buffalo's playoff "chances"

Root for all current AFC division leaders.
    Fiat justitia ruat caelum. Noli timere. Laus Deo.

Comment

• YardRat
      Well, lookie here...
      • Dec 2004

I must have missed something...why do we have to get 2 games ahead of San Diego?
      YardRat Wall of Fame
      #56 DARRYL TALLEY
      #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

Comment

• OpIv37
        Acid Douching Asswipe
        • Sep 2002

Originally posted by YardRat View Post
        I must have missed something...why do we have to get 2 games ahead of San Diego?
        They're a game ahead of us and have a head to head tiebreaker, so that's 2 games. Confusing phrasing on my part- we don't have to get two games ahead of them but we do have to make up 2 games on them if KC or Miami pulls away.
        MiKiDo Facebook
        MiKiDo Website

Comment

• BillsImpossible
          • Mar 2013

The Chargers remaining schedule is more daunting than the Bills.

New England, Denver, at San Francisco, at Kansas City.

Ouch.

Comment

• YardRat
            Well, lookie here...
            • Dec 2004

Ok, got it. Thanks for clarifying.
            YardRat Wall of Fame
            #56 DARRYL TALLEY
            #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

Comment

• Cntrygal
              Visually stunning but camera-shy.
              • Jul 2002

Hey Op!

I'm in the middle of final projects and prepping for finals... Can you just remind me who I need to cheer for each week?
              Originally posted by notacon
              The biggest thing we learned from the Bills is that they are a resilient bunch and did what they had to do to win instead of past years where they fold like a cheap lawn chair.

For news, articles and other "stuff"... BillsZone.com

Comment

• BillsImpossible
                • Mar 2013

Originally posted by OpIv37 View Post
                They're a game ahead of us and have a head to head tiebreaker, so that's 2 games. Confusing phrasing on my part- we don't have to get two games ahead of them but we do have to make up 2 games on them if KC or Miami pulls away.
                Not worried about Miami after watching them barely beat the Jets last night.

Kansas City's remaining schedule is interesting.

at Arizona, Oakland, at Pittsburgh, San Diego.

I think the Bills will be in hunt for a Wild Card birth in week 17.

Comment

• Don't Panic
                  All-Pro Zoner
                  • Dec 2005

head to head doesn't count the same way if three or more teams are tied...

Comment

• BillsImpossible
                    • Mar 2013

Originally posted by Don't Panic View Post
                    If 4 teams have the same record at let's say 9-7, 2 teams get in because of their better divisional records.

Bills are 3-2 in the division and will finish 3-3 at worse if they lose to the Pats.

The Chiefs are currently 1-3 in their division.

Chargers are 2-2.

Ravens are 2-3.

Comment

• The Jokeman
                      • Dec 2003

Originally posted by stuckincincy View Post
                      Root for all current AFC division leaders.
                      Except the weeks we play them.

Comment

• The Jokeman
                        • Dec 2003

Originally posted by Don't Panic View Post
                        Baltimore is the key to the Bills future. if somehow the Bills can be tied with Baltimore and/or Cleveland with another AFC North team for the final playoff spot we have a shot otherwise we're out.

Comment

• The Jokeman
                          • Dec 2003

I just looked at the standings.

The only way we can win the division is if NE loses out and we win out, and we know that's about as likely has me simultaneously winning the lottery, getting struck by lightning and getting blown by Gisele while Tom Brady gets his ass kicked by Jon Jones just because he's Tom Brady.

There is one 8-4 team and 6 7-5 teams in the WC hunt (not counting div leaders), counting us. We have head to head tiebreaker over Cleveland and I'm not sure about Pitt or Balt because their conf records are as bad as ours. The 8-4 team (SD) and the other 2 7-5 teams (KC, Miami) have one or more tiebreakers on us.

Houston is 6-6 but has the head to head tiebreaker on us, so they would get in over us if they end up with the same record.

So, we have to get a game ahead of KC and Miami or 2 games ahead of SD, and stay ahead of Balt, Pitt and KC. And this is assuming the div leaders don't change. Cincy or Denver could give us problems if they relinquish the div lead (possibly Indy too but that seems unlikely since they have a 3 game lead with only 4 left).

And we have to do this while playing Denver, GB and NE, and traveling to Oak.

Ouch.

I don't want to take away from what the team has done this season. The O has been inconsistent, but the D has been spectacular and, even if they lose out, they've won more games than they have in a long time. I can't even remember the last time we had a winning record in Dec- 2004 maybe? And despite the long odds, it's the most realistic playoff shot we've had this late in a season since 2004. But those losses to KC and Miami really killed our playoff chances.
                          Week by week man, I mean a couple of weeks do you think anyone would have expected the Rams to beat the Broncos? Also if look at the Broncos other losses it seems like their running game was bottled up and say what you want but the way we stopped the Browns running attack this past week was a good sign as think they have a much stronger running attack than the Broncos. Of course the Broncos will ultimately live and die by Peyton, let's hope Julius Thomas is out another week and we can find away to Emmanuel Sanders as to me he's the critical part of their passing game with Thomas out. Sure Demarious Thomas and Welker are scary too but I think Manning goes to Sanders more than not to be the game changer.

Comment

• OpIv37
                            Acid Douching Asswipe
                            • Sep 2002

Originally posted by The Jokeman View Post
                            Week by week man, I mean a couple of weeks do you think anyone would have expected the Rams to beat the Broncos? Also if look at the Broncos other losses it seems like their running game was bottled up and say what you want but the way we stopped the Browns running attack this past week was a good sign as think they have a much stronger running attack than the Broncos. Of course the Broncos will ultimately live and die by Peyton, let's hope Julius Thomas is out another week and we can find away to Emmanuel Sanders as to me he's the critical part of their passing game with Thomas out. Sure Demarious Thomas and Welker are scary too but I think Manning goes to Sanders more than not to be the game changer.
                            Well yeah. What's done is done. All they can do is go hard every week until they are mathematically eliminated. And even after that, with no first round pick there'd is nothing to gain by losing.

We can hope for the best, but the chances are very remote.
                            MiKiDo Facebook
                            MiKiDo Website

Comment

• The Jokeman
                              • Dec 2003

Well yeah. What's done is done. All they can do is go hard every week until they are mathematically eliminated. And even after that, with no first round pick there'd is nothing to gain by losing.

We can hope for the best, but the chances are very remote.
                              Remote indeed and I thinking winning will do a lot to boost this team's morale and know that they can win. As I said it this preseason for the first time for me in a long time it feels like we're actually building something here. Of course if we ***** it up and let Hughes go as an UFA in favor for keeping Spiller around I might have issues. But I don't Whaley to me has been pretty good thus far as a GM even when I doubted him when we lost Byrd and traded up for Watkins.

Comment

Working...
                              X