Mike Williams sounds frustrated. Why isn't he playing?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Ed
    Dude
    • Sep 2002

Mike Williams sounds frustrated. Why isn't he playing?

It looks like Mike Williams is only getting reps with the scout team now and will likely be inactive again. I really don't understand this. Our only WR with any real experience and production remains on the bench while our offense continues to struggle with a young WR group. I don't see how anyone can argue that benching Mike Williams gives this team the best chance to win. For a team that's hanging in the playoff race by threads and is desperate for some offensive improvement, this just doesn't make any sense. It seems stubborn and personal, which makes it more frustrating. I'd love a decent explanation from Marrone on this. This team struggles mightily in the red zone and Mike Williams is known for being a great red zone threat. The whole situation just seems absurd to me. Why is he on the team?

Here are some comments from Mike Williams and the full blog post linked below:
    "Yeah, I hurt my calf. I'm good. I'll be back at practice," Williams said. "I'll be the number one scout team player again tomorrow!"

"I'm just trying to be scout team player of the year, I guess," Williams said.

"I'm still the same Mike. Like I said, I still believe that not nobody can check me," he said. "I'm still that [player] that can score in the red zone any time I want. I'm still the same.

"It's just other people gotta see it, and if they don't see it, somebody will."
  • YardRat
    Well, lookie here...
    • Dec 2004

Re: Mike Williams sounds frustrated. Why isn't he playing?

One of the mysteries of the season, no doubt about it.
    YardRat Wall of Fame
    #56 DARRYL TALLEY
    #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

Comment

• Ed
      Dude
      • Sep 2002

Originally posted by YardRat View Post
      One of the mysteries of the season, no doubt about it.
      I know there's a lot of behind the scene stuff that we'll never see or know, and we'll probably get a better explanation after the season when he's gone, but it sounds like his teammates don't really understand it either. If they're really that unhappy with him just cut him and move on. Let some one else come up and get some practice experience. I don't see how anyone benefits by keeping him around if you're not going to play him.

Comment

• BuffaloRedleg
        • Aug 2013

If we don't finish the season with a winning record the coach and management should be held accountable for keeping Williams out.

Our struggles in the red zone are the achilles heel of this team. How can we possibly be worse on offense having him on the field??

Comment

• Ed
          Dude
          • Sep 2002

Originally posted by BuffaloRedleg View Post
          If we don't finish the season with a winning record the coach and management should be held accountable for keeping Williams out.

Our struggles in the red zone are the achilles heel of this team. How can we possibly be worse on offense having him on the field??
          Maybe at this point Marrone is worried that he'll look like a fool if he plays Mike and he plays well.

Comment

• BertSquirtgum
            Legendary Zoner
            • May 2009

because if he plays over a certain number of plays the Bills have to pay him all 9 million of his contract.

Comment

• TacklingDummy
              Unreachable Douche
              • Jul 2002

I'd rather see Williams over Hogan getting snaps.

Comment

• Mace
                Haha...yeah you think so ?
                • Mar 2013

It just takes me back to Urbik. They stubbornly refused to play him, and when they did it made a difference.

I just don't understand why they went out of their way to get him. There is some kind of disconnect between FO and coaching staff or coaching staff and coaching staff that bothers me, but no helping it anymore.

It's ridiculous they shorted their o-line so badly for so long, and loaded up on receivers they had no use for, but then again they also had too many rb's to use, and you can't ever have enough te's.

I'll be a lot more amiable to Marrone if they at least split the last 4, 1-3 is too predictably obvious, like waiting to long to play Urbik, loading up on receivers you have no use for, having too many rb's to use and never having enough te's.

Comment

• BertSquirtgum
                  Legendary Zoner
                  • May 2009

My statement is fact not my opinion, just an fyi.

Comment

• Buffalo Thriller
                    • Sep 2010

Its baffling that's for sure. He'd help more than he would hinder.
                    Originally posted by OpIv37
                    You guys, the solution is so simple. Find the crazy kids who are shooting up the schools and have them shoot people getting off planes from West Africa.

No more school shootings, no more Ebola.

Obama would have thought of this already if he wasn't a pinko commie Nazi queer-loving wetback-loving Kenyan Indonesian Muslim.

Comment

• Mace
                      • Mar 2013

Originally posted by BertSquirtgum View Post
                      My statement is fact not my opinion, just an fyi.
                      You sure ?

I'm looking at : http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/buffalo-bills/mike-williams/

Comment

• BertSquirtgum
                        Legendary Zoner
                        • May 2009

Originally posted by Mace View Post
                        Yes. My friend refs the Bills' practices. Whatever the ****ing number is....the Bills don't want to pay it. It's based on the number of plays played in and that's why he's inactive week after week.
                        Last edited by BertSquirtgum; 12-04-2014, 08:07 PM.

Comment

• Mace
                          • Mar 2013

Yes. My friend refs the Bills' practices. Whatever the ****ing number is....the Bills don't want to pay it. It's based on the number of plays played in and that's why he's inactive week after week.
                          If so that's woeful. I'm just not real sure about it.

Comment

• Topas
                            German smartass
                            • Feb 2014

Please tell me this is not true. I thought these things would change after Pegula took over. Maybe not.
                            But if this is really true, would the FO be so stupid that word gets out externally, i.e. some practice refs? I dont think so. But I am pretty sure that MW feels that way (independent if true or not) and probably voices his opinion. But that does not mean that is true...

Comment

• YardRat
                              Well, lookie here...
                              • Dec 2004

I don't think we have too many RB's, but playing MW and upgrading at TE certainly should be on the to-do list.
                              YardRat Wall of Fame
                              #56 DARRYL TALLEY
                              #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

Comment

Working...
                              X