PDA

View Full Version : Botched operation sank NFL career, Boselli says

Michael82
07-19-2003, 05:14 AM
After making his retirement from the NFL and the Houston Texans official Thursday, former Jaguars' Pro Bowl tackle Tony Boselli talked with Times-Union sports writer Gene Frenette about his decision to call it quits, memories of his time with the Jaguars, the possibility getting into the Pro Football Hall of Fame and his plans for the future.

Question: How difficult is it for you to come to grips with retirement at age 31, when most offensive linemen are probably in the prime of their career?

Answer: It's been a tough decision, something I've agonized over for a while now. But the reality was I wasn't going to be able to physically stand up to the rigors of an NFL season. I wasn't going to help myself, and I couldn't help the Texans. I had to look at the situation for what it was, and it's the right decision.

Q: What exactly is the problem with the left shoulder that has forced you into this decision?

A: There's a lot of pain and not a lot of strength or range of motion. It's a combination of the three. MORE... (http://www.jacksonville.com/tu-online/stories/071903/jag_13063054.shtml)

Michael82
07-19-2003, 05:20 AM
All-Pro tackle Tony Boselli said Friday that a botched operation on his left shoulder nearly two years ago signaled the beginning of the end of his career.

There is little doubt he would still be playing instead of forced into early retirement had a member of the Jacksonville Jaguars medical staff not performed the operation in November 2001, Boselli said while addressing the local media at the Texans' Reliant Park practice facility.

"Obviously I have a lot of questions and concerns about how that was handled and how that was done," Boselli said. "My left shoulder was better the day I went into surgery than at any point it has been since."

Boselli, 31, made his retirement official Thursday after eight NFL seasons and never having played a down with the Texans.

Boselli initially underwent surgery to repair a torn labrum in his right shoulder that limited him to three games during the 2001 season.

Less than a month later, Jaguars team physician Dr. Carlos Tandron performed surgery on the left shoulder, which was aimed at improving strength but a procedure Boselli called "unnecessary."

"Something went wrong, something happened," Boselli said. "I'm not a doctor. I've had different opinions and I've got my own opinions I'll keep to myself." MORE... (http://www.chron.com/cs/CDA/story.hts/sports/fb/texans/2001736)

The_Philster
07-19-2003, 05:21 AM
What's this? 7 threads on Boselli retiring now?

BillsFever
07-19-2003, 08:40 PM
:lol: