PDA

View Full Version : The NHL’s Great Connor McDavid Sweepstakes

SpikedLemonade
12-05-2014, 09:48 AM
The NHL’s Great Connor McDavid Sweepstakes

One of the running themes of the season has been the eventual destination of Connor McDavid. As the first sure-thing franchise player the league has welcomed since Sidney Crosby, McDavid has earned plenty of attention toward the bottom of the standings, and that will only intensify as the season goes on.1 (http://grantland.com/the-triangle/the-nhls-great-connor-mcdavid-sweepstakes/#fn-1)
But today, let’s forget about who will get McDavid, since we won’t actually know that for several months. Let’s talk about who should get him. After all, we can fight about that right now!.....

....3. Buffalo Sabres

Let’s get this out of the way first: Yes, the Sabres organization sure seemed to be tanking for McDavid. They weren’t even especially subtle about it, assembling a team that’s just about as bad as one can be in the salary-floor era, and the goal sure seems to be finishing last by a mile for a second straight year. That’s shady, nobody should support it, and it’s why they can’t be in the top spot just on principle.
All of that said, there are plenty of positives, starting with the fact that they haven’t been all that bad recently. Buffalo isn’t a big market, but it’s a great hockey town, and it’s certainly about time the city’s sports fans had some something to cheer about. The Sabres have stockpiled a ton of draft picks and prospects, and Tim Murray is one of the best young GMs in the game, so he could probably flush out all the tanking stench fairly quickly and surround McDavid with an actual team.
Also, we probably all still owe them for this (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4_URO6cwLbM). As long as they agree to stop screwing around with the uniforms, the tanking Sabres would be a grudgingly acceptable pick.

2. Dallas Stars

The Stars haven’t had a first overall pick since moving to Dallas.5 (http://grantland.com/the-triangle/the-nhls-great-connor-mcdavid-sweepstakes/#fn-5) They weren’t supposed to be in the running for one this year either, with most experts picking them as a potential breakthrough team after back-to-back offseasons spent loading up offensively.
Instead, they’ve been one of the season’s biggest disappointments, thanks largely to shoddy goaltending and a weak blue line. But while they may not be very good, they’re still an awful lot of fun to watch. The Stars are never going to be the Cowboys, but Dallas is a big market the NHL would probably love to have a larger chunk of, and the fan base is reasonably strong.
Drop McDavid into the mix alongside Tyler Seguin, Jamie Benn, and friends and every Stars game would instantly become must-see viewing. Sure, they might lose 8-7, but you’d be watching.

1. Columbus Blue Jackets

Huh. No, this isn’t where I thought we’d wind up either, but hear me out …
First of all, the Blue Jackets are terrible this year, so they’ve got a great shot at winning the pick. But there’s still enough talent here that they’re not a total lost cause — it’s easy to forget right now, but they were a playoff team last year. And while the market isn’t great, it’s not as bad as you probably think it is, and has never really had anything to cheer about. Think of it this way: Have you ever encountered an unlikable Blue Jackets fan? I’m not sure they exist.
More importantly, from a karma perspective, there’s no team that deserves a break more than the Blue Jackets. Their season has basically been derailed by an almost ridiculous string of injuries. They’ve had one no. 1 pick in franchise history, Rick Nash, who bailed on them a few years ago and forced a trade to the Rangers. They were bumped out of the top spot in 2012 after the Oilers won the lottery, then used the second pick on a guy who almost immediately blew out his shoulder (http://bluejacketsxtra.dispatch.com/content/stories/2012/11/28/murrays-season-ends-with-surgery.html) and missed the season. And no team has had less postseason success since Columbus came into the league; it hadn’t even won a playoff game until last year.
If the Blue Jackets landed McDavid and emerged as a contender, it would finally give the franchise a chance to thrive, not to mention giving the Metro a new set of rivalries to break up the never-ending Penguins/Rangers/Flyers trifecta that the league is constantly pushing. He’d make them a good team, but not so good that they’d be a risk to steamroll the rest of the league. And he might even be the guy to bring the long-suffering fans in the state of Ohio their first pro sports championship since the 1990 Reds.
And if none of that convinces you … well, just think how good McDavid would look winning the Cup in a Kings uniform in a few years.

http://grantland.com/the-triangle/the-nhls-great-connor-mcdavid-sweepstakes/

OpIv37
12-05-2014, 10:52 AM
Buffalo is not going to get McDavid. Sabres fans are consistent and don't need a big draw to show up.

The league going to put him on a team that needs support, likely Florida or Columbus. I could see Dallas because it is a large market that can be tapped further. But I really think the league is going to make sure Florida gets him to save the franchise, just like they did with Pittsburgh a few years back.

don137
12-05-2014, 12:28 PM
No team deserves a break more than the Blue a Jackets? Rick Nash forced them to trade him. We had a HOF goalie force a trade and demand the Sabres not get much in return.
They were bumped out of top spot in 2012 when Oilers won the lottery. Hmmm sounds familiar. Does 2014 draft sound familiar?
No team has had less post season success than Columbus. Hmm. I don't know. How about losing a shot at a Stanley Cup because the referee and Commissioner are spineless and couldn't make the correct call of calling foot in crease on the cup winning shot.
Not sure what this writer is smoking. Buffalo is more deserving than Columbus and I guarantee fans of at least 5 other teams could justify just as easily as shy they are deserving of McDavid. Look at Toronto. They have been torturing their fans for years.

JATMtheJATM
12-05-2014, 12:53 PM
Buffalo is not going to get McDavid. Sabres fans are consistent and don't need a big draw to show up.

The league going to put him on a team that needs support, likely Florida or Columbus. I could see Dallas because it is a large market that can be tapped further. But I really think the league is going to make sure Florida gets him to save the franchise, just like they did with Pittsburgh a few years back.

Mcdavid isn't going to save Florida. Florida is in ****, and everyone knows it.

I don't believe that conspiracy to begin with.

mightysimi
12-05-2014, 01:41 PM
He's going to Edmonton

swiper
12-05-2014, 05:15 PM
He's going to Edmonton

How sad that would be. For the entire league.

coastal
12-05-2014, 07:35 PM
I want the American kid.

Ginger Vitis
12-05-2014, 10:43 PM
If the Sabres end up picking 2nd.. If Im the Sabres GM.. I offer the 2016 1st Round pick and Nikita Zadorov to move up to No.1 to take McDavid.. And Im positive that offer isn't enough.. Id have to sweeten the pot even more.. Probably have to offer the 2017 1st round pick as well to get the other GM to think hard about it..

JATMtheJATM
12-06-2014, 11:19 PM
Now in 28th. Sabres were in 26th for a minute.

swiper
12-07-2014, 04:44 AM
Seems the Oilers are the ones tanking.

JATMtheJATM
12-07-2014, 01:55 PM
Seems the Oilers are the ones tanking.

there have been alot of articles about the oilers recently.

it seems theyve been having severe issues drafting beyond the first round. i guess their scouting department is horrible.

be thankful buffalo seems to have success drafting in later rounds. edmonton is an example of a team who tries to build through the draft with a bad scouting department, bad GM, and no direction gets you. seems as though buffalo has all 3 of those things in much better conditions, though we will see.

JATMtheJATM
12-07-2014, 01:59 PM
http://thehockeywriters.com/edmonton-oilers-draft-success-only-surface-deep/

heres an article on the lack of success in the draft by the oilers.

Downinfloflo
12-08-2014, 03:54 PM
http://thehockeywriters.com/edmonton-oilers-draft-success-only-surface-deep/

heres an article on the lack of success in the draft by the oilers.

Sabres are still in a wait and see mode with their picks.

JATMtheJATM
12-08-2014, 09:38 PM
Sabres are still in a wait and see mode with their picks.

K?