• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • HAMMER
    I'm right, Miyagi is wrong.
    • Jul 2003

The Mad Scrambler speaks his mind.

Fran Tarkenton tells it like it is. Hope you enjoy this article, I very much did.

Not really Bills related, but I'm sick of the same old dry, crusty azz threads that have been lingering around here all week.

• Homegrown
    Havin' a ball ... rollin' to the bottom
    • Jul 2008

Re: The Mad Scrambler speaks his mind.

"That's Incredible!! "

Comment

• Swiper
      Legendary Zoner
      • Sep 2010

HAMMER is my new favorite poster. Great article. Tarkenton, Stabler, Griese, Staubach, Fouts, numerous others. Younger kids have all this garbage to wade through today. Outside of Manning, Brady and Favre... it's mostly crap. Would rather have 100 Joe Fergusons over an EJ Manuel. It's simple. It's man over boy wanna be.
      Last edited by swiper; 12-06-2014, 07:07 AM.

Comment

• Dr. Who
        • Jul 2002

So, in an article where Tarkenton bashes RG3 for an arrogant, entitled attitude and mostly pronounces that it is unclear about other young qbs, largely because there isn't enough of a body of work to make definitive pronouncements, some decide this is warrant for a gratuitous bashing of EJ Manuel, who, whatever his issues, certainly doesn't display an arrogant, entitled attitude.

Tarkenton was my favorite qb growing up, btw. I even had a Vikings rain slicker and adopted them as my second team. Naturally, the Bills and Vikings are a combined 0-8 in Super bowls.

Comment

• Swiper
          Legendary Zoner
          • Sep 2010

Originally posted by Dr. Who View Post
          So, in an article where Tarkenton bashes RG3 for an arrogant, entitled attitude and mostly pronounces that it is unclear about other young qbs, largely because there isn't enough of a body of work to make definitive pronouncements, some decide this is warrant for a gratuitous bashing of EJ Manuel, who, whatever his issues, certainly doesn't display an arrogant, entitled attitude.

Tarkenton was my favorite qb growing up, btw. I even had a Vikings rain slicker and adopted them as my second team. Naturally, the Bills and Vikings are a combined 0-8 in Super bowls.
          Nice try at putting words in to others mouths. You must have missed the part of the article where Tarkenton talked about the lack of requisite skill required to play the position. That lack of skill is certainly a shared trait with Manuel.

Comment

• Dr. Who
            • Jul 2002

Originally posted by Swiper View Post
            Nice try at putting words in to others mouths. You must have missed the part of the article where Tarkenton talked about the lack of requisite skill required to play the position. That lack of skill is certainly a shared trait with Manuel.
            Actually, you are taking a general comment of Tarkenton's and skewing it to fit your bias, so you are the one putting words in someone else's mouth.

Comment

• WagonCircler
              Escaped Convict
              • Jul 2002

Originally posted by HAMMER View Post
              Fran Tarkenton tells it like it is. Hope you enjoy this article, I very much did.

Not really Bills related, but I'm sick of the same old dry, crusty azz threads that have been lingering around here all week.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/eye-on-...-never-make-it
              Awesome article.

One of the most interesting things is the Tark starts going through a list of relevant young QBs, and EJ isn't even on the list.

Comment

• WagonCircler
                Escaped Convict
                • Jul 2002

EJ is the inverse of RGIII. He doesn't have the arrogance. He also doesn't have the natural talent.

They're both ridiculously injury prone, though.

Comment

• Dr. Who
                  • Jul 2002

Well, EJ stayed healthy in the four games he played this year. I surmised Tarkenton was thinking of young qbs who are actually starting.

Comment

• DynaPaul
                    • Sep 2003

The guy is right.

Comment

• Swiper
                      Legendary Zoner
                      • Sep 2010

Actually, you are taking a general comment of Tarkenton's and skewing it to fit your bias, so you are the one putting words in someone else's mouth.
                      Ummm, no. Your reading comprehension is abysmal.

Comment

• Dr. Who
                        • Jul 2002

Originally posted by Swiper View Post
                        Ummm, no. Your reading comprehension is abysmal.
                        As for the league's rookie quarterbacks, here's a quick synopsis of Tarkenton's thoughts.

Johnny Manziel: He's needs to prove he can be the right kind of locker room leader.

Teddy Bridgewater: It's unclear. He hasn't played great, but he hasn't played terribly.

Blake Bortles: "The jury is still out."

Derek Carr: "The jury is still out."

So, he doesn't really like anybody, huh?

"That's not a negative when I say the jury's still out," Tarkenton said. "In many [other] cases, after we see them play, the jury says 'no.' In these cases, I don't think the jury says 'no' on any of these quarterbacks, but they haven't played well enough to say 'yes,' either."

The above is literally the only part of the article that isn't directly talking about RG3 specifically. Show me where my reading comprehension is abysmal, genius.

Comment

• Mike
                          • Jan 2009

From Article

"That’s not a negative when I say the jury’s still out," Tarkenton said. "In many [other] cases, after we see them play, the jury says 'no.'

-> Clearly EJ falls into the category where the jury says 'no' after we see them play. Geno Smith also falls into that category. And neither was worth talking about.

(QBs like EJ, Geno Smith, etc are the "other cases" Tarkenton mentioned)
                          Last edited by Mike; 12-06-2014, 09:52 AM.
                          Please Make Sense

Comment

• Dr. Who
                            • Jul 2002

Hey Mike, that is a general comment. When you decide EJ fits that category, that is your statement, not Tarkenton's.

Comment

• Mike
                              • Jan 2009

Hey Mike, that is a general comment. When you decide EJ fits that category, that is your statement, not Tarkenton's.
                              I agree.

I would also assume that Tarkenton would put EJ & Smith into that category as well. My assumption is based on Tarkenton's very high standards. Think about this, after RG3 had a sensational rookie season Tarkenton acutely predicted his demise! That's a very high standard, a standard EJ cames nowhere close to meeting.
                              Please Make Sense

Comment

Working...
                              X