PDA

View Full Version : The Wildcard Race: A look at the other teams

Ed
12-08-2014, 12:54 PM
Yesterday was very frustrating and I have no delusions about the Bills chances of making the playoffs. They're slim for sure, but that's what happens when you have 8 teams all jammed together fighting for 2 spots. I know the Bills can still technically make it at 9-7, but they'd need so much help and luck that it's not really worth considering. As far as I'm concerned the Bills need to win out, so their playoffs have begun. Before they get eliminated I thought it would be fun/interesting to look at the other teams in the fight and how their games relate to the Bills.

Houston 7-6: The Texans are 7 point dogs at Indy this week. They hold the tie-breaker, but I think they lose this week and are essentially out of the picture.

Miami 7-6: The fins are 8 point dogs at NE this week. I think they lose too putting them at 7 losses also.

Cleveland 7-6: Since this is the only team where we have a tie-breaker secured, the Browns could actually do us some favors by beating Cincy this week and Baltimore in the final week.

Kansas City 7-6: Another team that holds a tie-breaker and they have one of the easier games this week playing Oakland at home. I think they lose next week though at Pittsburgh which would put them at 8-7 heading into their final game with San Diego.

San Diego 8-5: The Chargers might have the toughest remaining 3 games. I think they lose this week to Denver and then have to play @SF before finishing @KC. I like their chances of dropping the next two and also sitting at 8-7 for that final game at KC.

Pittsburgh 8-5: The Steelers are a game up and have the best conference record, so at this point I think it would be best for them to just win out and take the North. Or at least beat KC and Cincy in the final 2 weeks.

Baltimore 8-5: The Ravens will be favored in their last three games and have a good chance of winning out. I think they could take the North too if the Steelers drop a game, but I see them at least getting one of the WC's.

Cincy 8-4-1: Cincy has a tough schedule playing @CLE, vs DEN, @PIT. I can definitely see them losing 2 of their last 3, which would keep them at 9 wins.

I actually think there's a reasonable chance that a 9-7 team could get the final WC spot on a tie-breaker, but it won't be the Bills. I think the Steelers and Ravens are the only teams that have a good chance of getting to 10 wins. My guess would be that the final team does end up with 10 wins, but I don't see them needing a tie-breaker. There are just too many tough games left.

The Jokeman
12-08-2014, 04:28 PM
Yesterday was very frustrating and I have no delusions about the Bills chances of making the playoffs. They're slim for sure, but that's what happens when you have 8 teams all jammed together fighting for 2 spots. I know the Bills can still technically make it at 9-7, but they'd need so much help and luck that it's not really worth considering. As far as I'm concerned the Bills need to win out, so their playoffs have begun. Before they get eliminated I thought it would be fun/interesting to look at the other teams in the fight and how their games relate to the Bills.

Houston 7-6: The Texans are 7 point dogs at Indy this week. They hold the tie-breaker, but I think they lose this week and are essentially out of the picture.

Miami 7-6: The fins are 8 point dogs at NE this week. I think they lose too putting them at 7 losses also.

Cleveland 7-6: Since this is the only team where we have a tie-breaker secured, the Browns could actually do us some favors by beating Cincy this week and Baltimore in the final week.

Kansas City 7-6: Another team that holds a tie-breaker and they have one of the easier games this week playing Oakland at home. I think they lose next week though at Pittsburgh which would put them at 8-7 heading into their final game with San Diego.

San Diego 8-5: The Chargers might have the toughest remaining 3 games. I think they lose this week to Denver and then have to play @SF before finishing @KC. I like their chances of dropping the next two and also sitting at 8-7 for that final game at KC.

Pittsburgh 8-5: The Steelers are a game up and have the best conference record, so at this point I think it would be best for them to just win out and take the North. Or at least beat KC and Cincy in the final 2 weeks.

Baltimore 8-5: The Ravens will be favored in their last three games and have a good chance of winning out. I think they could take the North too if the Steelers drop a game, but I see them at least getting one of the WC's.

Cincy 8-4-1: Cincy has a tough schedule playing @CLE, vs DEN, @PIT. I can definitely see them losing 2 of their last 3, which would keep them at 9 wins.

I actually think there's a reasonable chance that a 9-7 team could get the final WC spot on a tie-breaker, but it won't be the Bills. I think the Steelers and Ravens are the only teams that have a good chance of getting to 10 wins. My guess would be that the final team does end up with 10 wins, but I don't see them needing a tie-breaker. There are just too many tough games left.

Everything almost fell into place for us this week except for the Steelers winning and of course us losing. We still have a shot but ugh just 1 more win against the Texans, Chiefs, Dolphins and/or Denver and things look a lot easier. That said we've had as good a season as many would hope this year thus far. So anything more is gravy. That said the 2015 offseason will be as important as any we've seen recently.

Forward_Lateral
12-09-2014, 10:15 AM
The Bills will have to win out to have a chance at a wild card. That's the cold, harsh reality of it all.

Generalissimus Gibby
12-09-2014, 03:50 PM
We are not winning out, but we are already 3 games better than I thought we would be. Really at this point I just want a 9-7 record or even winning out. I also want Hackett gone, somehow for Schwartz to stay here permanently, and help at the OL and DB positions. We are really the closest we have been to contention in at least a decade.